Page 1 of 64 123 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Moms

Default LDS Moms

Hi there! I just wanted to start a thread for us, so we could all meet and chit chat about anything relating to our religion and how that effects things we teach our children.

I thought I would start off with what you are doing for Easter?

We do our baskets on Saturday (also Egg Coloring) and Save the Books/coloring about Christ for Sunday. Dh and I are currently not going to church , but my In laws may be here so I'm hoping this week at least John and I can go with them here....anyway I got John the book, My first Easter from Desert Book and it looks great. It's a board book and each page has a different part about Christ and why we celebrate Easter. I also got him a little Noah's ark book.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

Glad you started this!

My MIL is coming into town, she is not a member but she will go to church with us. We have a ward Easter breakfast activity on Saturday morning and then church is Sunday afternoon. We have a big ham dinner and an Easter egg hunt in the afternoon after church, my sister and her family will come over to our house as well, we live right next door to each other so we are in the same ward.

More info about us...I am currently the Stake Girls Camp Director (going on my 4th year) and my DH is in the ward's Elders Quorum Presidency. I have 2 DD's in YW and 1 left in Primary.

Hi ladybug. My husband is also in the EQ presidency but he's hoping to get out. One of the counselors is moving and so they'll reorganize it. He likes it but feels like he's too busy with work & school to do everything he should be doing for that calling so he's constantly feeling guilty.

Ok so to answer the Easter question! I just found a really cool cookie recipe that involves leaving them in the oven overnight, then in the morning when you break them open they are empty inside, like an empty tomb. We're going to try that. We'll dye Easter eggs on Saturday and my mom is coming to visit & she'll give the kids bunches of candy & toys then.

I do need to print out some Easter themed coloring sheets for church, thanks for the reminder! And Al you should totally go to church. A LOT of people go on Easter & Christmas so that'll be perfect.

We have a play group (technically 'mom's support group') at church and today we met at the primary room and did a little Easter egg hunt. It was pretty fun. Last year the ward did one outside on a Saturday but I haven't heard any talk of one this year.

Well my in laws aren't coming. I'm still trying to talk myself into going alone with John. I am such a chicken!! I need to get the phone number for my ward and find out when sacrament is, so that can help motivate me

I REALLY wish that we lived in FL. All of my In laws are in the same ward (MIL, FIL, SIL/BIL and their 6 kids & my other SIL/BIL & their 4 kids). My BIL (with 6) is the Bishop of the ward. I know that it would motivate me so much more to have family to help with John. He's not really one to sit still for long (unless there's a movie on HAHA)...okay enough of my Pitty Party.

Heather those cookies sound cool. I already promised John we were doing Bunny cookies this year (He loves animals)

ladybug I had to smile about girls camp, I've never been (Joined as a late teen) and my SIL has been the Girls Camp Director for their ward for the last 4 years or so...she's always trying to convince me to go :rolly:

Okay I have to warn you guys know...I will be a post ho here. I really don't have many people to talk to about the church. I'm the only member in my family and we have no member friends. And as I said my In laws live in another state. DH & I do talk about the church, we've started reading the scriptures together and such, but he's not ready for "church" yet. So please forgive me ahead of time :pray:

Al why did I think your DH was a member? I must have made a wrong assumption (Me?? NEVER!! ).

I think John would do ok for sacrament meeting only. Bring tons of things he's never played with before. We have some flannel board story pieces and we bring those - they stick to the back of the pews and the kids make up little stories with them.

I never went to girl's camp either - joined at 19 years old - and when I was in the YW presidency I was pregnant at that time so I copped out of having to go! Bad, I know.

I think we've all been at periods in our lives when we were more active, less active, even inactive. I feel less active right now, even though physically I'm there every Sunday 9-12 just like clockwork. I know if not for my kids, I would not be going right now. We have a hard time feeling like we fit in in this ward, it's just not a right fit for us, but we're moving in a year so we just keep at it.

Anyway, I think you should go.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Al why did I think your DH was a member? I must have made a wrong assumption (Me?? NEVER!! ).
    He is a member. Just been inactive for a long time. Part of it started when he came home early from his mission (long story there, but I'll say he requested it, nothing he did "wrong") and the way his ward reacted to it. The rest is just him soul searching I guess is how I would put it. He believes that the BOM is true and so on, I think with him a lot of it is other members. HA he's not a social butterfly and thinks most members are hypocrites

Quote Originally Posted by EvandAl View Post
    HA he's not a social butterfly and thinks most members are hypocrites

That's probably because we are. At some point, we all are or have been.

My husband left the MTC the first time he went in. He had some issues he'd not dealt with properly and after a couple of weeks he went back home. He stayed home for six months, attended a singles ward, then went back. Funny thing is, if he'd stayed the first time, he would have been done with his mission in June 1997. We met in July 1997 and he was still in my area until November so we became good friends. I guess my point is, his life has probably turned out the way it has because of his choice. No one should stay on a mission who doesn't feel they should be there, and it's crummy that people judged him for it.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Hi gals!

We do easter baskets on Saturday, as well. Our ward is having an easter shindig tomorrow evening, so I guess we'll go to that, too. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things since Taela passed. They keep giving me different callings, I think trying to draw me out-the latest is being on the activities committee...so I guess I should support the activity, huh!

We'll go to my parents for a late lunch and I think my dad will do some sort of little "presentation." Mom said he's been working on it all week-trying to find object lessons that will grab the girls' attention-so cute because my dad so did not do that sort of thing when I was growing up!

Dang, I just remembered that I said I'd teach the RS lesson on Sunday...I hate teaching. It seriously stresses me out. Like even if it's sunbeams. Doesn't matter who. I taught one lesson while I was in the YW presidency...and chickened out on all the others. The ladies in RS say that they're easier because they'll participate, but we'll see. John's also teaching, so I think I'll bum ideas off of him!

I'm having a real rough time with church. I don't think John and I have both been to church together in like 5 or 6 weeks. The girls haven't been to Sacrament in at least that long. They're so so rough to take to Sacrament. I was talking to a lady in the ward last week and she mentioned how there are quite a few ladies/people in our ward lacking compassion for things like autism-they view the noisy/meltdown kids as lacking good parents. I know she told me that to let me know to ignore them-her son has aspergers-but it just made me even less want to bring my girls! We've become "that family" that comes to bring the girls to nursery. Which I guess is better than nothing. On top of the autism thing is just emotions. Church is so so hard for me to go to. I just never know when something is going to be said that will hit me hard. And let's face it...things like eternal life and seeing those who've died is nearly a weekly subject there-and I'm just not ready for that. I have a firm belief, but emotionally I'm not ready to be constantly told "you'll see her again" or "you'll get to raise her, just not now." :crying:

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tif I also hated teaching or giving Talks. I get SOOO nervous about being in front of people. Also I did love teaching in Primary. I loved trying to think of ways to bring the ideas down to their level.

I think going to any part of church is better than nothing. Atleast you made the effort to do that much, ya know!?

I am amazed at anyone who can teach in RS or give talks, I just can't do it, I have to actually say no. If it is anywhere that I need a microphone then that is too big of an audiance for me. I do fine in primary or YWs though. And camp is no big deal (even though I do need a mic) because we are casual with only 160 of my closest friends out in the woods in Oregon, what is nerve racking about that?

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    I am amazed at anyone who can teach in RS or give talks, I just can't do it, I have to actually say no. If it is anywhere that I need a microphone then that is too big of an audiance for me. I do fine in primary or YWs though. And camp is no big deal (even though I do need a mic) because we are casual with only 160 of my closest friends out in the woods in Oregon, what is nerve racking about that?
    Where in Oregon??? (I live here).

I cry when I get asked to speak/teach. When we were first married and first pregnant with Keira then I started crying when John told me they wanted us to speak in Sacrament (crying out of anxiety). He told the counselor "I'd love to, but I don't think my wife is mentally well enough to-she's pregnant." But I did finally speak in like June...and I swear I spoke for at least 15 minutes but apparently I was lucky to have taken up 4:crying: It seemed like an eternity!

I told the RS counselor on Sunday when she asked me to teach that I was going to cry-I meant right then, she thought I meant during the lesson...and I was so embarrassed when I really did tear up over it! I never had this anxiety when I was a kid! I was a stellar speaker until about age 15 or so

We go to camp outside Baker City Or, so the opposite side of Or from you. It is so pretty there, we love it!

Hi all! Glad you started this. EvandAl, who doesn't love a post ho? Nothing to forgive!

I'm not exactly sure what all we are doing for Easter. Vaughn's too young for candy. We are currently visiting my brother's family in IL. They are blessing their 3rd child on Sunday...first granddaughter in the family. She's very cute. All our boys are having lots of fun together. They are 5, 2 1/2 and 13 months. My brother did mention a possible egg hunt, but we fly by the seat of our pants around here.

LOL about giving talks. It makes me really nervous...but we spoke in my home ward (we are living in my parent's basement while DH does student teaching) two weeks ago and it went WAY better than I was expecting. DH took the phone call and then came and told me that I would need to take 20 minutes and he would take 10. He meant it as a joke...but that's how it ended up going, mostly because I told how we met and used up five minutes on that! I guess I just like talking about myself. Seriously though, I was stressing over it and one morning V woke me up at 4 am and after I got him back to sleep I was up til 5 am thinking about what I could talk about!

LuMo, those cookies sound really cool. Where did you get the recipe?

Curious, if you or your dh got to serve a full-time mission where did you/he go?

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

Oh, I forgot to add...I agree about how hard it is to have kids in church. It can be stressful. I have friends who have no kids who are a little crabby about it. I feel like most everyone understands though. Last week we skipped the last hour because Vaughn had a meltdown. Who was it that said, "hands full now, heart full later?"

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by moosh34 View Post
    Curious, if you or your dh got to serve a full-time mission where did you/he go?
    John went on his mission to the Tulsa, OK mission. I think he was there from Dec 2000-2002 or so. He had a blast, got to spend Christmas in Branson one year and all the member-family performers put on free shows for the missionaries! We're trying to possibly plan a trip out there in May, coinciding with my little brother's graduation from Basic Training and demolitions school!

I've got to get off my butt and plan my lesson for RS tomorrow. It's going to be a tough one. We're using the talk by Elder Uchtdorf from October Conference-Have We Not Reason to Rejoice?...which is a tough issue for me right now. I sure hope the ladies understand that and pull their weight in participation

Tif I think even going to church is awesome. You should not feel bad or guilty or anything. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I don't mind giving talks. It really doesn't bug me too much. I do hate when they always want the man to be the closing speaker. Makes me feel like they think a woman can't 'anchor' the meeting. Maybe I'm the only person who thinks this way? It's just something that has always bugged me. One time a ward clerk told me that "a sister can only give the closing prayer in sacrament meeting" when he'd asked me and I said, "Well I may be out with my baby by then, but I'll do the opening prayer now." I don't think what he said was true though because in the ward we're in now, sisters have given the closing prayer plenty of times.

My husband served from 1996-1998 in the Kentucky-Louisville Mission (Great KLM! ). That's how we met, in Indiana. He taught me a few discussions. ;) We kept in touch after his mission, blah blah blah, three kids and a mortgage.... ;)

Just saw this thread! I forgot this section was here.

Here's all my random thoughts in response...

I've given the closing prayer in Sacrament a couple times. I remember it clearly because I felt the extra incentive to pay attention to all the talks so that I could mention them in the closing prayer.

If I was closer I'd help you plan/teach your lesson Tif! RS teacher was my favorite calling. I really loved it. Being a convert I know nothing about the prophets and their lives, so learning about them through the manual was great. I'll admit that I never read if I didn't have to teach the lesson, so being a teacher made me take the time to learn more about the prophets.

We haven't been so active in our new ward either. There are a lot of students, which means there's a lot of turnover and changing faces. It's a big ward too, so it's easy to get lost in the mix and be anonymous. The worst though? It's a 1 PM time and really, I'm just so frustrated with 1 PM church, especially with a toddler whose nap time is 1 PM. When Adam and I were first married, 1 PM church. When we moved to WA? We had 1 PM church. When we changed wards in WA? We got 1 PM church. When we moved to Ohio? We had 3 PM church since our building was getting remodeled. When the building was finished? Yup, we got 1 PM church. It's the worst time to go and I'm just so sick of it. Lame reason, I know. But I just can't drag myself to go most times because it's such a crummy time slot.

Oh yeah, and no big Easter plans. A little egg hunt for Caiden and reading some stories. Simple and sweet.

I hate 1pm, too! Our building only has 2 wards in it...but can they do 9 and 11? Nope. It's 9 and 1. Apparently they think no overlap is the way to go (well, it really is because it's such a crappy old building with literally no parking lot-just the street!). 9 is good with regards to naps and making sure that Keira's good and ready for a nap. But it's also a major factor in justifying our way to skipping-at least skipping Sacrament. It's pretty early to get them all bathed (night before wreaks havoc on their hair!) and breakfasted and dressed. But we really need to get out of our justifying soon. Keira's getting into the phase of being able to answer questions...and of course every Sunday my mom or grandma ask her how nursery was and if she went!

My mom gave me some ideas on the lesson. But the one she really suggested is a little bold/different for me. The RS is like 95% old. I think there's one other lady under the age of 35 in there with me, almost none in the 35-55 range, and then it goes up from there. She suggested splitting them into groups of 4. But whenever the chorister tries to split them they moan and groan and refuse to move (seriously!) like 2yo's. So I don't think I'll be doing that. I'm hoping that when I introduce the subject (Have We Not Reason to Rejoice?) and explain how hard it's been an especially hard one for me because that's something I have a hard time remembering to do...maybe they'll have compassion and be more likely to participate and give input? I know I'm going to cry, too. There's just no way I'm not. And I hate crying. It makes me angry at myself (stupid, I know!)

So I had to come and admit I still didn't go to church . But I have told myself (a million times) that I WILL do it next week. I know this sounds silly but one thing that makes me nervous is that they do sacrament last . I've never been to a ward like that. I want to try just going to sacrament first (I don't like leaving John with Strangers, yes I'm one of those people ) but I know he is going to start getting cranky since it's right at naptime. Okay enough excuses. I WILL go next week!!

I did try to make it a "reverant" morning though, We listened to church music and colored pics of Jesus.

Oh speaking of....do any of you like to listen to church music???

Oh I HATE the 1:00 meeting time! In my BIL's ward in San Diego they have 5 wards in one building so he goes at 4:00pm. I would actually prefer that to 1pm - at least it's AFTER naptime and you're still home for a late dinner.

We used to alternate 9am or 11am. I didn't like the 11a.m. but it's definitely better than 1pm. Seriously. What kids are going to be pleasant during their nap time????

We went today and it was kinda weird. We had a ward missionary sponsored 'invite a friend' day which I thought IMO was terrible timing (Easter?). Anyway they combined RS/priesthood 3rd hour in the chapel and it felt like a 2nd sacrament meeting - talks, songs... when I was standing in back with a restless Penny, I saw at least 10 people asleep!

Well, I taught my lesson! It went really well! I had an entire 40 minutes to fill-for some odd reason they decided to forgo the "practice" song so I could get right to the lesson. It was sort of a Tif-show today. I play the piano for RS and I know they asked the one other gal who can play last week, but she apparently forgot. So I just went ahead and played. I think that was good-playing sort of grounds me and takes my mind off things.

So I cried. A lot. And I made most the other ladies cry. And another lady made me cry. And 3 more afterwards made me cry some more. But I filled my time. When there was 20 minutes left I was literally at the end of my lesson (that's how horrid I am at preparing!) mostly because no one would answer my questions! Anyhow, from there on out I just sort of flew by the seat of my pants, and it worked!

It was actually a very healing experience for me. I've really held back from the women at Church. Well, except for with the RS president-she's lost an infant, too. My therapist has really been encouraging me to allow Church to be my "emotional safe-haven" but I just haven't felt able to. I've felt like everyone probably thinks "gosh, shouldn't she be over things yet? She's got two other kids still" and stuff like that. But one of the ladies today made the comment that it's important that we share our grief, our trials, our hardships, our learning experiences with each other because otherwise it's so easy for someone to be looking in going "well, they're all happy. They're all so confident in the Gospel. Life is being easy for them." And stuff like that-which I've been so very guilty of. And when she mentioned that, it kind of opened things up a little more, ladies started talking more, and just really made me feel...loved. It was great. I might let the RS Pres know that I'd be happy to be on the list of substitutes for teaching. I think it's something I could actually enjoy doing, maybe eventually even teaching once a month or something (whereas before today...I've turned teaching callings down right and left).

Anyhow...just thought I'd share. Oh, and we still didn't make it to Sacrament with the girls. We tried, and got there as they were done passing it, and then Keira was having some meltdowns so John took her in a classroom while Scharae and I went in to the chapel. But that's more Church than we've done as a family in close to 2 months, so it's progress!

Al~I like listening to church music, but only sometimes. I have a hard time listening to it on long drives (whlie I'm driving) because I will fall asleep. I grew up listening to either the BOM on tape or church music every night, all night. And I think it's subliminally programed me to associate it with sleeping! Which stinks when it comes to things like, oh, studying the Scriptures!

I play a Primary Songbook CD for the girls to go to sleep with. They'll sleep fine elsewhere without it, but if we don't turn it on at home Keira will let us know! And in the car she prefers to have another one of those CDs playing over the radio, or any of my music.
    Last edited by DucksLikeRain; 03-23-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Tif that is wonderful that you taught and that it went so well! Sometimes our RS lessons turn into big cry-fests too. I think everyone needs that sometimes, and it's wonderful that we have a place where we can feel safe being open like that. I'm glad your sisters are helping you through this.

I'm so glad that your lesson went so well Tif! Teaching really is an awesome chance to get to know the RS sisters. It's great how the lesson or the spirit will bring out experiences and stories from the women that you might never hear otherwise. I felt the same way that you did... leading up to the lesson and trying to plan something was kind, well, sucky... but the teaching experience itself and the good feeling afterwards was great.

Heather, how did the cookies turn out??

Heh, thanks for commiserating with my dislike of 1 PM church. We really really need to start going again. Poor Caiden wants to go back to nursery. He's always asking, "Church? Toys? Play with toys? Play with kids? Food? Eat food at church?" Apparently he loves snack time. So we'll miss the next two Sundays b/c we're leaving for Disney World this Saturday, then it's back to the grind.

Hey Ladies!! I've been reading this since it was started but this is the first time that I've had a chance to reply.

Tif, I'm so glad that your lesson went well and that you were able to feel some healing. Sacrament meeting is so difficult just with one baby, I can't imagine trying to do it with two. It takes both DH and I to get it to work with just one.

Teaching is so hard for me as well. We were called as Sunday School teachers for a year and I hated it. I swore we wouldn't be released until I fixed my attitude about it just for punishment, but then the stake stepped in and we are now stake athletic directors. We are both really into sports and we love it. What could be better than playing sports multiple times a week as your calling.

HollyJo - I know exactly what you mean about a student ward. We have been in one for over two years now. I feel bad because we never get to know anybody. We have a few friends that have also been there a long time, but we haven't made any new friends beyond the friends we made the first few months we were there. It is really frustrating. I feel like we have NOTHING in common with the people in our ward. I've just got done with school, DH has been done for almost a year so we aren't in school. There are only about five couples in the ward that do have babies, so we don't really feel like we belong there anymore.

One o'clock church is the worst. I hate it. We had it last year and it was miserable. It was kind of funny though when we changed to nine o'clock. For about the first month we would get home from church and have no idea what to do with the rest of the day.

DH served in the Rio de Janiero (sp?) north mission from 02-04.

We just did Easter really simple. We did an Easter Egg hunt on Saturday with some friends and then on Sunday we invited some friends over for dinner.

I try to remember to listen to church music at least in the morning while we are getting to church, but I don't always remember.

I can't remember if I missed anything so I will call that good for now.

Oh, I can completely understand why it is so difficult going to church. Without DH pushing me I think I would miss it a lot. I just feel like I go, but I am fighting with Benson the entire time that I don't get a thing out of it. I just sit watching the clock. I don't even know what the lessons are about most of the time. It just feels like a long difficult wrestle with my child. So I guess I go, but I don't feel like I'm actively involved in any of it. I usually wonder why I even bother. I try to get at least one thing out of it each week, but more often then not it doesn't happen.

Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

Quote Originally Posted by katrina131h View Post
    Oh, I can completely understand why it is so difficult going to church. Without DH pushing me I think I would miss it a lot. I just feel like I go, but I am fighting with Benson the entire time that I don't get a thing out of it. I just sit watching the clock. I don't even know what the lessons are about most of the time. It just feels like a long difficult wrestle with my child. So I guess I go, but I don't feel like I'm actively involved in any of it. I usually wonder why I even bother. I try to get at least one thing out of it each week, but more often then not it doesn't happen.
    Have you started counting down to nursery? I think I knew the # of Sunday's left before nursery when each of the girls had 18 or so left I still have to push myself to get much out of Church. I think that Sacrament's craziness sort of sets the tone for my brain to try and tune things out most of the time. I had rosy dreams of Nursery coming for both girls and me getting my Churchtime back...but I guess it's not as easy as all that!

Katrina, where were you guys going to school? Congrats on finishing! When we were in a student ward when going to BYU it was nuts and so much like you described. Our ward was huge, constantly changing and nobody knew who anybody was. My husband and I had the calling of photographing everyone for the ward directory and we just couldn't keep up with all the coming and going of people to keep the directory updated.

Haha Tif... I thought nursery would help me enjoy church again too. Really I just spend Sunday School and RS wondering if Caiden is doing okay. Is he being nice? Is he crying for me? Are others being nice to him? And then I look through the peephole about 10 times.

Tif I am sooo glad that your lesson went well!!!

Katrina...I just realized your boy is only 4 days older than mine. He's been a lot to handle during church for the last 6 weeks. He used to be so easy about it.

Also, I forgot to add that my dh served his mission in the Czech Republic from 99-01.

Wow, have I started counting down til nursery! I started counting down at about six months. We sneak him in every now and then when they only have one kid show up for nursery, but like HollyJo said, I spend most of my time wondering how he's doing, even though every time I go check he is fine and happy. I guess that is one perk of attending a student ward, you can get away with stuff like that.

We were going to Utah State. I am so sick of the student atmosphere. If all goes as planned we will be moving to Seattle or somewhere in Washington this summer :pray:. But with the job market how it is right now I don't know if it will work out. Who knows, our plans seem to change every couple of months so who knows what will happen when we actually get to that point. I just can't wait to get out of the Utah bubble. It just seems like there are so many people at church that are competing to show their "spirituality". It drives me crazy. They act like their calling is a status symbol or something like that. Drives me crazy

Katrina...I just realized your boy is only 4 days older than mine. He's been a lot to handle during church for the last 6 weeks. He used to be so easy about it.
    Aww, aren't they so much fun at this age, but I totally hear you about church. The last thing in the world my little boy wants to do is sit in a room with limited room and resources and try to be quiet. I try not to let him play in the halls too much so that he doesn't think that going into the hall is to play, but some days, what else can you do?