Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Moms

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Never seen it before...but we succumbed to the Living Scriptures stuff when we were newlyweds...and our girls hate them (but John likes to watch them!)

That looks way funner than what we've got!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    I also got some long shorts from Walmart. They didn't have them in the store, but online, and with site-to-store I didn't have to pay shipping. They were only like $10 I think?
    Thanks for the heads up....most of their shorts are on sale. I wish they had the inseam listed on there though

I might have to try them and if they don't work I can give them away

Here is a link to see all the short they have
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...atNavId=133162
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

We don't have that DVD. I wonder if there is anyting LDS about it? I know some stuff from Deseret is just random Christian stuff (some isn't Christian at all, like Spiderman coloring books ). We have Buzby DVDs which are pretty cute. Not nearly as obnoxious as Veggie Tales. I HATE Veggie Tales!

We also have Living Scriptures. SOOOOO BORING!!!

Our kids LOVE The Prince of Egypt and Joseph King of Dreams. Both are fully animated and have good music. Truman's favorite movie, in fact, is "Moses," which is what he calls the first one.

I think it is an lds video. The production company seems to only do LDS stuff I've never seen veggie tales just hasn't interested us I guess.

I got the prince of Egypt and Joseph King of Dreams recently. John really wouldn't watch much of the Prince of Egypt but I think it was just his mood that day, we haven't tried the other one yet though!

Hope you ladies don't mind me posting in here. I have to admit that I come in this thread often looking for good links to modest clothing. It's so hard to find appropriate clothing today. Anway, so I just looked at that J Jill site and found about 50 things I wanted! :doh: So, I am curious to what the LDS standards for clothing are, if you don't mind me asking. I go to very conservative Independent Baptist church, and our standards are pretty high too. And are your standards like an actual "rule?" Forgive my ignorance, I really don't know too much about the LDS church, although I have been learning a lot through you ladies. My Pastor is not shy about telling the church what his preferred standards are, but they are not actually a "rule" unless you are employed by the church, or when you are taking part in a ministry there. How does it work with your church? What does your church say about women wearing pants? And what about beach attire?

Thanks!
    ~ Brooke & Luke ~

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Quote Originally Posted by EvandAl View Post
    Thanks for the heads up....most of their shorts are on sale. I wish they had the inseam listed on there though
    I have the twill bermuda and 5 pocket bermuda. The 5 pocket bermuda are a bit longer/looser. Actually almost TOO long for me (I'm 5'5) and kinda feel like old lady culottes. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by momma2luke View Post
    So, I am curious to what the LDS standards for clothing are, if you don't mind me asking. I go to very conservative Independent Baptist church, and our standards are pretty high too. And are your standards like an actual "rule?" What does your church say about women wearing pants? And what about beach attire?
    As far as I know (and I don't know it all, despite what I think ) there is no real rule, like not written down anywhere at least. But modesty is big with Mormons, and adult members of the church who have been to the temple will wear a special sacred garment underneath their clothing. To conceal this garment, we can't wear certain immodest things, like short shorts or skirts, or tank tops, but you can wear most clothes, like longer shorts (knee length at least) and t-shirts. I know that most LDS women I'm friends with IRL won't wear a 2-piece suit, unless maybe it's one of those tankini suits where the top touches the bottom kind of thing. Most of them wear suits with little flouncy skirts on them. Personally I just wear a one-piece suit. It's hard enough finding a suit that doesn't make me feel like a whale so I wasn't too worried about a skirt on top of that! I hope that answered your question without bombarding you with information! =)

Heather I think that you answered her question really well. I just got back from girls camp and because we are so big on modesty the girls were not allowed to wear a swim suit that showed their stomach. If that is all they own they had to wear a t-shirt.

It's Sunday tomorrow already. Does it feel like it's always Sunday to anybody else? The week always flies by and *bam* it's Sunday again.

momma2Luke, if you want to use my coupon for the J. Jill site PM me and I'll send it over.

To add to the modesty question, women wear pants shorts without issue, except to church. Then it's knee-length of longer skirts and dresses.

Speaking of dresses, where do you ladies buy cute dresses? I only have a couple and neither one are BF'ing friendly. I'm looking around for a couple new ones.
    Last edited by HollyJo; 08-09-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Holly I never could find a BF friendly dress. I always had to do shirts and skirts. I do think I've seen some at Kohl's that might work, though you are really tall (really? what am I, telling you like you didn't know? ) so I guess that makes it harder. hmm.

And I wonder about pants in the chapel too. I remember finding an old 70's or 80's missionary tract inside a BOM at an old boyfriend's house and seeing where it said "What to expect when you visit an LDS church" or something, and said "women will be in dresses." Which seemed like an odd way of saying, "Wear a dress." But where does this come from? I've also heard other women at church say things like, "Well is this activity going to be in the chapel? Because if it is, we can't wear pants."

Funniest thing about THAT imho of course is that when I cleaned the temple one time, I was wearing a white jumpsuit (pants!!!) and I was able to go into every single room (even the men's changing room oddly enough ) in pants. I just wonder where the whole 'no pants on ladies in the chapel' thing started? Is it official somewhere or just a Mormon culture thing? I understand the need for reverence and to be respectful but at the same time, I wonder if it's something that can be carried a tad too far?

I don't think "no pants in the chapel" is official. In fact, I'm pretty confident it's not. We have a handful of ladies in our ward that only wear pants. They're nicer black jeans, or whatever, but it's not like they're wearing slacks or pantsuits. They just only wear pants and a t-shirt. Always clean. And I'd never dream of "wondering what their story is" the way I've overheard some of the older biddies in the ward yammering about. It's no one's business what each person declares as their "Sunday best" so long as they, as an individual, are confident that they're doing their best.

I remember a couple families in my ward growing up that were diehard about us not even walking through the chapel on activity nights if we weren't in dresses. They literally stood as sentinels outside the chapel doors on Wednesday nights! I guess to me that's where you get back into the spirit vs letter of the law! Now, the Temple...I don't know. I know my dad has arrived in his work clothes before because that's all he was able to do when filling in as a Priesthood holder for the youth baptisms...and his work clothes are, um...mechanic's clothes. He was fine to go in and change. I believe it's not stated publicly, but they PREFER you be wearing church dress, but once again, since that's interpretive and not an edict, take it as you will.

So I don't know what lesson y'all are on tomorrow, but in our ward it's #...dang, can't remember. 12 or something. It's the one about death. And my RS Pres called me 2 weeks ago to let me know and also to let me know that she happens to know that even though not a whole lot of the actual lesson is dedicated toward child/infant loss, the ladies in our ward will essentially make that the focus. She was giving me an out, I think. I think I'm going to brave it, though. We'll see if I make it through. Tomorrow is 9 months since Taela passed. I honestly can't wait until I hit a year and quit counting the months. In my mind once we hit November then I shouldn't feel the 10th of every month come along and hit so hard...here's hoping.

Tif I hope it goes okay for you this morning. Man... I hate the death lessons. Didn't we JUST have a lesson on that? "words of consolation at the time of death" or something? Seems like the ladies in RS really, really love to talk about death, especially the deaths of their babies. I guess it's therapeutic or something, but really, it's so tragic I just feel awful hearing it. Like I'm an intruder on their grief or something, yk? Anyway I hope it goes ok for you.

I did learn something from that lesson that I didn't know before. I always thought when we are resurrected, we will be adult form, perfect, big, grown up bodies. But in the lesson, it says that children who die will have the opportunity to grow up in the resurrection, and that parents will have the opportunity to raise those children into adulthood. I just had never thought of it like that before (I guess b/c spirits are all in adult form I assumed that meant all resurrected beings, no matter their age at death, would be in adult form as well).

Well anyway. David is at PEC, again, so I have to get clothes on these heathens.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Tif I hope it goes okay for you this morning. Man... I hate the death lessons. Didn't we JUST have a lesson on that? "words of consolation at the time of death" or something? Seems like the ladies in RS really, really love to talk about death, especially the deaths of their babies. I guess it's therapeutic or something, but really, it's so tragic I just feel awful hearing it. Like I'm an intruder on their grief or something, yk? Anyway I hope it goes ok for you.

I did learn something from that lesson that I didn't know before. I always thought when we are resurrected, we will be adult form, perfect, big, grown up bodies. But in the lesson, it says that children who die will have the opportunity to grow up in the resurrection, and that parents will have the opportunity to raise those children into adulthood. I just had never thought of it like that before (I guess b/c spirits are all in adult form I assumed that meant all resurrected beings, no matter their age at death, would be in adult form as well).

Well anyway. David is at PEC, again, so I have to get clothes on these heathens.
    I think that's the lesson we're doing today, Heather. What I took from the part about raising them was that we'd get to raise them until they reach full maturity. Which, to me, doesn't mean for 20 years, or whatever, ya know? I know it's supposed to be comforting. But I'm not in a place yet to feel that comfort. I'm still in a pissed off "but I want to raise her with her SISTERS, all growing up together" mode I guess. I've come a long ways, but I've got a long ways to go, too. I don't think I'm going to make it through this lesson very well. The RS president has lost a child to Trisomy 18, so a little different, but about as close as anyone in the ward. Her and another lady both, AND the RS's daughter has lost TWO children to Trisomy 18 (supposedly it's non-hereditary, but they're starting studies to find out more I guess) and one of those losses was in the last month. She told me she's dreading having to sit up in front of the RS during this lesson because her feelings are so raw. I told her that she could come sit in the back with me and cry

On another note, listen to this. That daughter of hers, with her first loss she lived in ID. The laws there were such that they confirmed Trisomy 18 around 25 or 26 weeks and she was able to be induced and that was the end of it. But with this baby she lives in Utah. They confirmed around 24 weeks. But Utah laws will not allow induction or delivery without medical necessity between 24 and 32 weeks, I believe. Something like that. It's considered an illegal form of abortion, regardless of the morbidity issues with the baby. So this poor poor girl had to be pregnant for another two months feeling baby grow and kick and hiccup, knowing that she wasn't going to get to have her. Finally at 32 weeks they induced her and the baby was born and didn't even take a breath. What pain. RS pres told me that this loss is being worse on her, not just because it's the second of it's type, but because she had that much longer time to bond with the baby inside of her. I think I'd move to Idaho if I'd been in that situation

That's terrible about the laws. I know a woman in our neighboring ward who lost a baby to Trisomy 18 last fall, but she stayed pregnant until 37 weeks, when the baby died in utero. She said that the delivery really was hard on the baby's body and she wished she could have had a c/s just so she could have seen her baby. Something about the disorder made the baby's bones so soft that delivery crushed her. It was so terrible. I think they found out about 18 weeks or so, so for months they knew their baby would die.

We're actually a lesson ahead, you are right.Zion was our topic today. It was like, really, really boring to me! And we had the WORST behaved kids in sacrament meeting. David and I need to re-vamp our whole Sunday routine I think. It's just not working anymore. I don't think we do anything WRONG, but the kids just need to be reminded more that Sunday is different & special. Also Pen turns 17 months today so you can bet we're doing the nursery-countdown.

Today's lesson could have gone worse. It wasn't great, but I was proud of myself for staying in there for it. I probably wouldn't have, but I was on the back row and would have had to walk to the front and ACROSS the entire room to get to the door.

So here's a nice little "small world" happenstance. I think being in the church makes the already-small world even smaller!

Tuesday I found out my visiting teaching companion is sisters with a girl I knew before we moved down here. So I thought that was about as small a world as it was going to get. And then after Sacrament today I walked into nursery with the girls and there was a guy with is little boy that I knew from before we moved. He was a great nice guy...but I couldn't seem to warm up to his wife because she just wasn't friendly. Anyhow, he got accepted to grad school down here and they happened to move into our ward this week. So then John got to talking to his wife and come to find out they live not 4 blocks from us (most of our ward lives in a totally different area from us). AND...she's nice. I like her. I've known her for years but I don't think I'd ever had a conversation with her. I've decided that we just sort of needed to be put on even ground-she'd been in our old ward for a long time before we moved into it and already had her own friends established, and I SUCK at making new friends, so it was a lose-lose combo. But here, where I still feel like the new girl, she's new, too! I'm excited about this. She's got a little guy Scharae's age and then one that's 5 or 6 months old, too.

It really is a small world!!

So ladies I'm feeling very inactive. I have missed 2 weeks now. I do not start to feel even a little better until later in the afternoon. This morning sickness is literally kicking my butt. I got up this morning to get ready for church when I started throwing up. I laid back down for a few minutes and felt great, got up and showered to get ready to go and BAM it hits like a ton of bricks.

Tif, I'm glad you were able to stay in there for that lesson. I know when we had that lesson, everyone who ever lost a child needed to talk about it. I ended up crying. It was such a sad time. But, the lesson is really about having hope and words of comfort. I know a lot of ladies were saying, yeah sure, there's comfort in the gospel, but at the time, you don't WANT it. You just want to be angry and have your child back. The comfort has to come later. I think it was helpful for those of us who haven't gone through that, because it reminds us how we should behave in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy like that. Don't try to give comfort. Just meet the sister's and her family's temporal needs, and just 'be there' but don't say anything.That's what I got out of the comments anyway - that they appreciated it when people would just be with them, or just agree with them that it was awful, but not try to make them feel better.

Brandi I'm so sorry you are STILL SICK!!! This is terrible. It's got to get better! Have you talked with your doctor about it? I know some women have needed a rx medication to get through it (Reglan I want to say?)

We went for a super long walk this evening! Oh man.It was sort of an accident! We were going to walk to a neighborhood park, but we forgot it's pretty far (about a 25 minute walk). Then we got there and remembered the playground is really in bad shape, so we took this woodsy trail to another park, so another 10 minute walk. Then the kids played for like half an hour, and we walked home. So we were gone almost 2 hours total! Whoops. It was a good way to kill a Sunday afternoon though.

We went to our new ward yesterday. Just sacrament meeting, we're still trying to ease ourselves (and our baby - who isn't used to going to church) into going. Seems like a really nice ward. I have a friend in the ward (she's the one that told me about the apartment), so that makes it a slightly easier transition.
    It's the 50th anniversary of our stake, so most of the talks were about that, but the youth speaker had a really interesting talk that I liked a lot. She talked about talents and abilities and blessings in general, and how we shouldn't focus on what others have and wonder why we don't have it too, but rather focus on what we have been given. I know that's a really simple concept, but something about the way she expressed it really made a difference with me. I've been struggling for a while with self-image/self-confidence/just feeling like I'm worth anything, and I really enjoyed her talk, it gave me a fresh perspective.
    So, a pretty good experience. I'm actually really looking forward to getting to know everyone (despite my social anxieties), and making new friends.

Yay! Glad you guys went and it went well

Quote Originally Posted by mattswife View Post
    I know that's a really simple concept, but something about the way she expressed it really made a difference with me. I've been struggling for a while with self-image/self-confidence/just feeling like I'm worth anything, and I really enjoyed her talk, it gave me a fresh perspective.
    I'm the same way and actually saw a new book in the desert book catalog that looked interesting
    http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=4996446

Hey Mattswife, I'm glad you had a good experience!

You know, the book that looked interesting to me in the new desert catalog was something like "Odds are, you're going to be exalted." It just cracked me up, the title. I was like, well okay then, I should stop stressing out right?

I got a new person in my visiting teaching trio. I tell ya, the trio thing is awesome most of the time. But one of my other members has turned into like hyperdrive mormon or something. I always feel like she's trying to "outdo" me in everything - be th first to meet the new person, be the first to invite her over, be the first to know everything about her.... like it's a weird unspoken competition with her. I really don't have the energy for a competition anyway so I just let her do it, but it does kind of get on my nerves. I mean, the lady moved here Saturday night. We met her at church Sunday morning, and Sunday evening got the email from the RS president that we are in a new group with her. Well my other companion has already been to her house with maps of our city and a welcome pack (driving a literal welcome-wagon no doubt!), and emailed her. I used my smarts (!) and realized she may not have her internet connection up yet, so I called her today (she hadn't gotten the email) and we talked for a little while. We'll try to get together next week.

Quote Originally Posted by EvandAl View Post
    Yay! Glad you guys went and it went well

I'm the same way and actually saw a new book in the desert book catalog that looked interesting
    http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=4996446
    That book looks really interesting! Did you read the excerpt? I may have to look into that one.

Speaking of books, has anyone read "The Peacegiver"? I started it but I couldn't finish it. It's kind of a difficult concept for me. What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by HollyJo View Post
    momma2Luke, if you want to use my coupon for the J. Jill site PM me and I'll send it over.
    Thanks for the responses ladies. Sounds pretty much the same as my church. There is no "written" rule, but most women wear skirts or dresses to church. And HollyJo - I would love that coupon, thanks.
    ~ Brooke & Luke ~

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Do you or people in your ward wear jean skirts to church? Our stake has asked us and our youth not to wear jean skirts or flip flops in the chapel. The flip flop guideline has been hard on our ward youth, that is all they wear year round, so some still wear them and others don't. I just wondered what everyone else was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    Do you or people in your ward wear jean skirts to church? Our stake has asked us and our youth not to wear jean skirts or flip flops in the chapel. The flip flop guideline has been hard on our ward youth, that is all they wear year round, so some still wear them and others don't. I just wondered what everyone else was doing.
    We wear them. And honestly, that's one thing I would have a VERY hard time following. Not because I want to "buck the system" but because it's a senseless edict, to me. Now, if the Prophet asked it, I'd do it. But that sort of thing bugs me when one stake presidency micromanages and others don't. That's probably not coming out very well...

Our youth are not to wear shorts to mid-week activities. They're told which ones are specifically ok (like the lake trips, hiking ones, etc) but as a general rule Wednesday nights there are not to be shorts for the boys or the girls. This was because of shorts getting shorter and shorter. i can understand that. Now, they're not stopped at the door and asked to leave, but they will be reminded individually.

I don't get the whole denim/flip flop thing. Sure, my mom wouldn't be caught dead wearing a denim skirt of thongs to church. But even as strict as my parents were, so long as my skirt was long enough it could be denim, faded cotton, whatever. And as long as my shoes were clean, they were fine. To me, the spirit of the law gets lost when you start getting nit-picky like that.

All I can say is...I'm glad I'm not in your stake, Lacy I should ask my SIL in Kuna what theirs says...

In our old stake, the SP didn't want anyone to wear denim, but he didn't ask. He just said, "Well no daughter OF MINE is going to wear denim in the chapel." He had five daughters. Funniest part... one of them got married, and when she came back to visit with her new husband, she was wearing a denim SKIRT and a matching denim JACKET! I mean, she looked very nice & pretty. But a good many of us had a little laugh over that!

I can understand flip-flops but I still wear them sometimes. Mainly because my church shoes are hot and do NOT go with summer dresses & skirts. But I do feel bad wearing them because they aren't very nice looking and they do make a slight noise when I walk. (But then again, so do my thighs, but I still take those to church...)

dang it, Heather. LEAVE THOSE THIGHS AT HOME!!!

i dunno. I'm just adverse to some of the more mundane things. I feel like Stk Pres have a bit more important things on their plates than telling us that came home from COLLEGE for the summer, after going to COLLEGE wards, that we were not to attend the UNIVERSITY ward unless we were 21 or over...yeah, that was so 8 years ago and STILL rubs me wrong!

I wear denim skirts to church. Infact thats the only maternity dress that I could find long enough. I also have a bad habit of wearing flip flops. I hate tights so its easier to just slip on some flip flops. However, they are nice flip flops. Our bishop did talk on wearing flip flops to church but he didnt say we couldnt do it, he just said it wasnt our best dress. *sigh* when my feet are swollen I just wanna wear those flip flops lol.

FHE note: When teaching 3yo's about the sacrament and the symbolism behind it...do NOT spend much time on the water being LIKE Jesus' blood. Especially when said 3yo had a nice bloody injury earlier that day.

Keira really picks up on things we talk about. 3 weeks ago we causally talked about Jesus coming to the America's and whenever she hears Jesus she talks about that now. She says in her prayers "in the name of Jesus Christ to Ameericuhs, Amen" And that was just after a casual evening of talking about it, not a FHE lesson. Should have been my first clue. She's pretty intrigued by Testimony meeting. Probably because John and I both got up this month and bore ours and she followed me up. So last week's lesson was on Testimony and this week we decided to focus on Sacrament because she's really got the whole "1 piece of bread" thing down. So me and my bright self decided to just really launch into it. She didn't seem to know what blood was when I talked about the water being LIKE Jesus' blood ("what? what blood, Mommy?") and once I mentioned the word there was no going back....so at the end when we had her practice her testimony it went something like this:

"I Keira. I start K. I 3. Jesus loves me and mommy and daddy and Scharae and nana and Papa and Erik and Liz and ...(you get the picture). Jesus loves ebrybody. Baby Jesus to Mary (don't ask me where she picked that one up! We haven't done Baby Jesus stories since Christmas!) and daddy. Mommy on donkey-like-a-horse. Baby Jesus a man. Jesus cross like a T-people sad and cry. Jesus hurt. (no concept of death yet). Jesus come from rock and make people happy! Jesus come to Ameericuh and make hands and eyes all better (we watched that little "My Joy is Full" blurb like 5 times because she loved it so much). Jesus gave luvs to the kids and said prayers for them. I eat ONE, ONLY ONE KEIRA, ONE piece of bread at church when I sit quiet. Only one. Think of body. I drink water-like blood. Jesus prayed at a tree before like a T and he loved ebrybody. He prayed and blood came out, like blood out of Keira's foot. Keira's shoe hurt me and blood came out of my foot. Like Jesus. Keira like Jesus-blood came out. Drink water, think blood. Name of Jesus Christ in Ameericuhs, Amen."

I kid you not, she went on and on and on with her arms folded up in front of me and John with no prompting! I'm almost nervous now for the next Testimony meeting because I KNOW she'll want to be up there!

On another note...I agreed to speak in church with John on the 31st (this is a huge thing because I have a HUGE phobia of it. Irrational, really). Last time I did that I was POSITIVE my talk was at least 10, if not 15, minutes long...John broke it to me afterwards that I didn't hardly hit 5 minutes...maybe I should have Keira get up and give it for me! Do you think it's kosher to incorporate her bearing her testimony into my talk? She's going to be up on the stand with me, anyhow, there's no way around that fact...
    Last edited by DucksLikeRain; 08-12-2008 at 04:58 AM.

Tif your girls amaze me! I think it was a pretty darn good little testimony!!
    It is crazy how quickly she picks up on things.

As for denim skirts, yep I wear them. I only have 3 skirts that fit right now and a denim one is one of them hehe. I don't usually wear flip flops only because mine are pretty gross. I did just get a nicer pair though that I would wear in a heartbeat.

Speaking of "dress code" (or in that area of discussion). Did this happen everywhere? - My FIL told us that now for men to serve in a calling you cannot have facial hair and must have a clean haircut? This of course rubbed my DH the wrong way, he ususally has some kind of facial hair going on and has hair down to his back.

I'm not positive. I just asked John. I know that in order to be in the Bishopric they need to shave. My dad was in the bishopric and in a rare facial hair mode of life when that came out. John just said that he doesn't know of any church-wide policy regarding it. To work in the Temple (not attend, but be a Temple worker) and the Bishopric, and probably Stk Pres and on up, you do. But not to be a SS teacher, or anything like that. One of the longest-term seminary teachers in the stake I grew up with had hair down to his waist. He always had it tied back in a nice pony, but he refused to cut it (he also wore paper ties when they came out saying seminary teachers had to wear dresses and ties).

ETA: John's in the EQ presidency and was EQ president before we moved. He would have likely been ASKED to shave, but it would not have been a deciding factor in him keeping the calling.

My husband is a primary teacher and is not clean shaved. Infact our bishop before this one was never clean shaved either.