Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1894

Thread: LDS Moms

oh my goodness ashers! that is so hilarious. my in-laws don't even sleep in the same room most of the time.

Oh how I love you guys! I'm so glad that you could talk about that and not get embarrassed. I would NEVER discuss the topic with my MIL but with my mom I can talk about it all I want. We are not shy, not to mention that I worked in a GYN office for almost 3 years and it was a regular topic.

Heather that is awesome!! I'm so happy for you guys!

Many many hugs, Tif! I have really been struggling with my faith since my miscarriage. And that was only at 6 weeks, so I can't even imagine how much you must be struggling what with losing a (third) child so far along. I hope you will be able to adopt through LDSFS and get a quick match!

Food storage, we pretty much suck. We bought a bucket from Costco with a bunch of dried food a few years ago. It probably needs to be replaced now. We need to start getting that in order. You guys have inspired me to at least have my 72 hour kit ready. I am now setting a goal for myself to have the 72 hour kits ready before we go on vacation this summer. Does anyone have a good link to what should be in a 72 hour kit? (I'm too lazy to search right now, lol, so if anyone has a link right off hand, I'd love to see it. If not, I'll look it up later.)

I have always loved the saying, "Church says stay out of the bedroom before marriage, and after marriage the Church stays out of the bedroom." My DH and I sometimes debate whether everything is "okay" to do in the bedroom, or if there are some things that are frowned upon. But we've come to the conclusion that if it's between a married couple and it's consensual, then it's "okay." I agree that Mormons probably have more sex than other couples. In fact, I always laugh when people say that after marriage they don't have as much sex, because it's the opposite in our culture. After marriage, Mormons usually have 100% more sex. I foresee DH and I being like your parents and in-laws, Ashley.
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

I can tell you what we have in ours. Ours are not full of survival type gear, though we have a little bit of that (like a utility knife, whistle, flashlights), but mainly food and water. We have a day's worth of food for each person which consists of
    breakfast - granola bar, juice box
    lunch - canned food (like vienna sausages, small pop top can of ravioli, etc), crackers
    dinner - same as lunch, with a little pack of cookies or candy for dessert
    water for the day (depends on size of person)
    We have this x3 in each backpack.
    I need to add a change of clothes and some activity stuff for the kids, and copies of important documents for me and DH. That kind of stuff gets out of date so fast and I haven't updated it in a long time.

I really need to get 72 hour kits ready. My DH and I have discussed this for a long time now and just have not done it. I'm going to be making it a goal to have it done by the time we get back from Yellowstone in June. I just need to get it done, I mean it cant take much right?

Heather thanks for your list.

Heather I forgot to ask, what do you store your 72 hour kits in? Back pack? Rubber containers?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Heather I forgot to ask, what do you store your 72 hour kits in? Back pack? Rubber containers?
    We have a backpack for each person in our family. We got them one year when Menard's was having a sale at back-to-school time, with a rebate they were like 99 cents each I think.

We rotate out the food and water at general conference and this seems to be working for us. Most of the stuff in there is good for about a year, some more some less, but we rotate it anyway. Then the kids get to eat that stuff GC weekend, which they are super excited about. It's not stuff we normally eat anyway so it's kind of a treat for them. I still need to get more water and a few more packages of snack cookies and crackers to restock ours, but we have all our canned stuff in there.

We also have napkins and plastic utensils in ours.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    We have a backpack for each person in our family. We got them one year when Menard's was having a sale at back-to-school time, with a rebate they were like 99 cents each I think.

We rotate out the food and water at general conference and this seems to be working for us. Most of the stuff in there is good for about a year, some more some less, but we rotate it anyway. Then the kids get to eat that stuff GC weekend, which they are super excited about. It's not stuff we normally eat anyway so it's kind of a treat for them. I still need to get more water and a few more packages of snack cookies and crackers to restock ours, but we have all our canned stuff in there.

We also have napkins and plastic utensils in ours.
    I've heard of other people eating their food at general conference as well. I always liked that idea. Thanks!

Heather, you have given me some great ideas on things I still need to add to your 72-hour kits. I guess I better be getting one ready for baby girl too with diapers, wipes, and what not. In our kits along with 'meal' type foods we have added in nuts and beef jerky, just for added protein, if for some reason we ended up needing it longer thank 72-hours. We also have basic survival things like those thermal blankets (the small fold up to wallet size ones), a pancho for each of us, flash light (a wind up one), toilet paper, kleenex, water purifier pellets, screwdriver, and extra cash.

Oh and Kyli, I believe Kyle and I will end up that way too. We have no shame in our relationship and have had plenty of our own fun on vacations with our families! :o) Its a good way to keep the relationship strong.
    Last edited by ashers; 04-11-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    Ashley(26)Kyle(28)McKenzie Paige Born June 16th, 6 lbs 6 oz, 20.75 inches and 5 weeks early

Quote Originally Posted by ashers View Post
    Heather, you have given me some great ideas on things I still need to add to your 72-hour kits. I guess I better be getting one ready for baby girl too with diapers, wipes, and what not. In our kits along with 'meal' type foods we have added in nuts and beef jerky, just for added protein, if for some reason we ended up needing it longer thank 72-hours. We also have basic survival things like those thermal blankets (the small fold up to wallet size ones), a pancho for each of us, flash light (a wind up one), toilet paper, kleenex, water purifier pellets, screwdriver, and extra cash.

Oh and Kyli, I believe Kyle and I will end up that way too. We have no shame in our relationship and have had plenty of our own fun on vacations with our families! :o) Its a good way to keep the relationship strong.
    Good idea on the rest of the stuff

Oh and this is funny but everytime we have company over I jump DH's bones haha. This last week was kind of hard but I had positive OPKs. He worked graveyard shift so by the time he came home in the mornings everyone was already awake. We had to get sneaky!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Remember how I mentioned my need for adrenaline with sex? This most often comes out as sex at other peoples' houses or when visitors are here. Keira was conceived in a tent next to my parents' tent on a Labor Day camping trip. Scharae was conceived in pretty much the same location. Taela was in my parents' supercool cedar lines spa-style double shower, the miscarriage I had before Aiyana was Thanksgiving weekend in my inlaw's bed while they were out of town. Aiyana was at my parents'...you get the picture

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tif

Lucy was conceived on my in-laws' couch. We were staying with them on vacation. I think my FIL walked through the living room to get a drink of water at one point and we just held still. It was funny because we'd been TTC for several months with no luck. And then people make jokes about naming their kid after the place where they were conceived, but I don't think "blue denim couch" is a good name.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTruPeMo View Post
    Tif

Lucy was conceived on my in-laws' couch. We were staying with them on vacation. I think my FIL walked through the living room to get a drink of water at one point and we just held still. It was funny because we'd been TTC for several months with no luck. And then people make jokes about naming their kid after the place where they were conceived, but I don't think "blue denim couch" is a good name.
    Maybe not blue denim couch, but you could have gotten away with Davenport

That is so funny Tif. I'm the same way though. We never stay at my parents house over night as they only live like 15 mins away from us. However, when we are in CA visiting Kev's family its the worst. I want it all the time. Or when they are here visiting.

Heather that is super funny!

The only story I have of conceiving was Preston and we were on vacation in a hotel. The last time we were in CA I was hoping to conceive while staying in Kev's aunt and uncles camp trailer, needless to say it wasnt happening as I dont think I was even close to O'ing.

You ladies are cracking me up! I've only conceived at home, but maybe this July when we're on our vacation I'll conceive somewhere else.
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

I am so glad that I am not the only one who wants to jump DH bones while not at home. It took me 4.5 years to convince him to have sex at his parents house, I had done other favors for him while we have stayed there though. We never stay with my parents though, although we have had a few great make-out sessions on their couch while waiting for them to get home! :o)

We were once on vacation with DH family in Cali, we were all sharing a suite in the hotel. We had our own little separate room and bathroom...oh how I long for that bathroom again...we had some of the best sex there, it was a great week.

We go with my family every summer to St. George, we always sneak into the shower together. We always have fun on vacations....makes me wish we were going on one.

I am really starting to agree with the comment made earlier about LDS couples having more sex...
    Ashley(26)Kyle(28)McKenzie Paige Born June 16th, 6 lbs 6 oz, 20.75 inches and 5 weeks early

We are going on vacation June and I'll be honest, I hope we conceive before then. I'm sure we will not be able to get away from everyone because we will all be sharing a camping trailer.

Two times now, the temple has given my telephone number and name to people I do not know. This is really bugging me. A few months ago, a woman from a ward like 100 miles away called and asked if she could do a few family file baptisms during our youth's temple trip. Our YW president said okay. It was weird they gave her my # but whatever... then tonight the YM president from a branch about an hour away called me and asked if his branch's youth could tag along with our ward's temple trip next month. The temple gave this guy my name & # too! This really makes me made. They ask for my # when I make the appointment (I schedule all the temple trips for our ward) but I assume it's so THEY could call me if something came up as a conflict, not so that they can give it out to strangers.

Am I wrong to be bugged by this? It feels wrong to be irritated by temple workers. I just think this is not a right policy for them to have.

I would be really bothered if the temple, or any other church member was giving out my number with out my permission, especially to total strangers! I would think the temple workers would not do that, its a breach of confidence, maybe if the temple workers called and gave you a message that way you could call the other ward/branch back I would be bothered. So weird!

I agree! If the temple called me directly and said, 'So and so from here wants to know about joining with your youth group coming to the temple,' then I could call them or pass it on to someone else to call them. But when they call me directly I feel all this pressure to not say no to them.

I asked the YW president and she said we need to find out how many of our youth are planning to go before we give them an answer.

I do need to call the temple and make an appt for our fall trip, so I will definitely mention that they not give out my number any more. I feel bad for the small branch that needs to go with another group, but maybe they can work it out with us ahead of time.

I'll be honest, if you are the one who is contacting the temple to schedule your ward temple trips then no I dont see anything wrong with it. In their eyes you are the contact for your ward regarding this. However, I do think it would be more appropriate to have the temple contact you directly instead of someone you do not know.

Ladies I need a little bit of help/ideas or whatever you feel to share. My brother and sister in law are due in Sept with their first baby. I asked to do the baby shower because she was so disappointed with the way her bridal shower turned out that her sister threw. So I know I have a couple months but I'm a HUGE planner. I things set in stone and my mind never shuts off so I'm constantly thinking about what there is left to get ready.

So my question is this. They are not active in their ward and know nobody. So I figured she should probably invite those in the ward she grew up in. But should we invite the ward my brother grew up in as well? He stopped going to church at a young age. Whenever I would get invites for peoples showers I did not know it really bugged me but now that I'm in that planning stage I understand why they are invited. Anyways so do you think we should do those ladies as well?

Also do you guys like games at showers? I'm not a huge fan but I'm thinking of maybe a couple small games would not be to bad? What about food ideas? Obviously my sister in law has the final say but I want to have ideas running in my head. Any help would be great!

I would not invite ladies from the ward the father grew up in. I'm irked when people I am not really friends with/close to send me invitation to stuff. Feels like they're just begging for a present or some money. Also I think it's kind of like a bridal shower - it's about the woman, so it should be people who are close to her. The DH's family should be invited of course but I wouldn't go too far beyond that. It's a woman thing IMO.

I don't mind games but I hate when they take forever.Mainly you want to watch the lady open gifts and shove some cake in your mouth and go home.

Can you tell I'm kind of the anti-shower?

Speaking of which I got an invitation to a baby shower for a woman in my ward. She's actually one of my VTs and her companion, who is also her BFF, is throwing it for her. This is her 2nd baby though so it seems weird to me to have a shower. It's a boy and her first was a girl, and when I had Truman my mom threw me a SMALL shower (just family) and we said "just boy clothes" because that's all you need really. Also this woman's husband is a doctor so I feel like it's not even about need. I guess they just want to have a party. I'm not going. It's the same day as our area day of service and we are taking part in that beginning at 8 a.m. The shower is 10-12 I think. IDK how long the service will run, but it's yard work so I will not be presentable and nice smelling anyway!

Oh how I wish my shower planners were as considerate as you are trying to be Brandi...I dont get a say in what goes on at mine, who is invited or what food will be served.

Like Heather stated the focus should be on the mom and the coming baby, so in my opinion I wouldnt invite individuals she really doesnt know. I know it would make me very uncomfortable for strangers to be around. It was so hard for me to be around DH family for my bridal shower since I had only met a few of them before hand. For games I would do something short and simple. I cannot think of any ideas, as most of the showers I go to are open houses. I am sure what ever you come up with will be wonderful.

I dont understand the whole baby shower for the second child thing, especially for individuals who do not necessary 'need' it and if the children are born close in age. My SIL has a had little get togethers to celebrate a new life but the only gifts that were brought were diapers.

Thanks for your input ladies! I talked to my sister in law for a little bit today and asked her about games she told me that she was fine with either. Mine was an open house, but I just dont want people to get bored ya know? I'm going to have her start compiling a list so I know how many to expect. They find out what they are having next month so then things can really start getting planned!

Just don't play the poopy diaper game! Oh my heck.

Okay Heather just for you I will not do the poopy diaper game. I'm actually thinking of having them guess what day the baby will be born and how much they will weigh and whoever wins then I will get in contact with them and they will get a Scentsy prize

That's a great idea! So many shower games involve humiliation for the bride/new mom or doing weird things (like sniffing melted candy bars in diapers or eating baby food). I like it when people go around and say who they are and how they know the woman. It helps when you've got some church friends, some family friends, some relatives, etc., and you are thinking who's who? That's not really a game. Oh and something at one of my baby showers I really liked was instead of just a guest book they got a hardbound journal and each person there wrote some bit of advice to the new mom or well wishes. I still have that.

Heather thats a great idea about the journal! I'm going to have to steal that

We have something like that from our bridal shower. It had more pages than people that showed up so it's become mine and John's "love note" book that we write back and forth sappy stupid little love notes (I think he owes me one from the last one I wrote about 8 months ago, come to think of it!).

Have everyone write their name and address on an envelope when they walk in-this gives a step up on thank-you notes.

I went to a baby shower recently where they didn't play any games (I love shower games...I tend to win them all ) but they had tons of white onesies, an iron, fat quarters/other fabric scraps and some wunderunder type stuff and each person designed a onesie. They turned out really cute and it was fun.