Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Moms

Yeah no way is he going to ask the bishop HAHA

His main thing about the beer is the verse about using barely for mild drink (I'm thinking 17?) He is driving me nuts.

He hasn't gone and bought beer or anything but he keeps reading the WoW over and over and over and saying I really think beer is okay. But he won't buy anything unless I give him approval which he knows isn't going to happen. Although I've told him I'm not his mother he can do what he wants as long as it's not in front of John. I can't control his life, KWIM? But he agrees that he thinks anything in excess is bad, he just wants to drink ONE good beer, yeah that's gonna happen.

But one good thing he finally agrees that we eat too much meat, so know I'm on the hunt for vegetarian recipes

I wish we lived closer to family so that he would have better examples around him....here our closest friends don't drink, but it's not the same because they aren't LDS.
    Me = Alison, DH = Evan, DS #1 = John 09/05/06, DS #2 = Alan 07/21/09

http://majorosfamily.blogspot.com/

Well I hope you get that one all sorted out! Good luck. It sounds like he KNOWS what's up, he's just got a hang-up about it or something. I think we all do that sometimes. Like sometimes I really really want to drink an iced coffee. And it's not "hot" right? But of course I know the spirit of the law so I don't do it. I'd probably have a massive panic attack from the caffeine anyway, since I don't ever consume it (unless dark chocolate counts ).

In order for my dad to get his temple recommend renewed he had to stop drinking and chewing. Which he did successfully!!! You can use alcohol for medicinal purposes. Although my great grandma used to have gin in raises every morning lol. She was convinced that it is what made her healthy, of course she would never go to the liquor store to buy it she always made my aunts lol. My husband did a research paper on cooking with wine and he learned that it does not cook out all the way, though there is only a little trace left it is still there.

Question I have for you ladies, I can not seem to find any maternity skirts that are long enough to cover my garments and I need some advice. I dont know where to look, I live in Utah so you would think it wouldnt be a problem but apparently it is.

Hey my husband says there are malt beverages that are not against the WoW such as Apple Beer. He used to buy it at BYU all the time. Oh and I'm with you on the iced coffee except I want iced tea. I really enjoy iced tea but I stopped drinking it so that I could get a temple recommend and get married. My grandparents always have it at their house and its always tempting but I refrain.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    Hey my husband says there are malt beverages that are not against the WoW such as Apple Beer. He used to buy it at BYU all the time. Oh and I'm with you on the iced coffee except I want iced tea. I really enjoy iced tea but I stopped drinking it so that I could get a temple recommend and get married. My grandparents always have it at their house and its always tempting but I refrain.
    Nope, malt beverages are definitely under the "mild drink" category, as well as the "barley for mild drinks" category! Apple Beer is good stuff!

My "iced coffee" is iced Chai. Or hot Chai. It's black tea and I just have to remind myself that I have decaf in my cupboard at home whenever I'm out and wanting to go to the local espresso stand! Around here and up in WA it's hard because there's one on every corner, on top of all the Starbucks!

Maternity skirts...Target was my friend when I was pregnant. And actually I didn't have too hard of a time at Motherhood, either. But those were the only two stores I even had to shop at for maternity. Maybe ShopKo, too?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I wore the same maternity clothes for all 3 pregnancies (I just typed 32 as a typo ), so I bought mine in 2002-2003, but I had a really long black one from Target and a calf-length black one from JCPenney. I also remember finding a knee-length summer maternity skirt at JCP on clearance for 74 cents. Not all JCP's have maternity sections but it might be worth checking out.

So I'm becoming kind of negative about things.

My husband is the 1st counselor in the EQ presidency. There is no 2nd counselor - they submitted names but they never called anyone - and the president has left town for 9 weeks for an internship. So there's David and the secretary. And the secretary seems to have some form of narcolepsy or perhaps chronic fatigue syndrome - I don't know for certain - he's very LOW energy and claims he can't go to PEC because he "can't" get up early and can't visit right after church because he "must" nap.

Anyway, I'm just getting annoyed with how much stuff my DH is doing and how LITTLE other people are doing. And it really gets me when they complain about being tired or worn out! Sheesh! Our home teacher came up to us after sacrament today and said he was going home early to nap because he had to get up really early and drive his wife (and their one - yes ONE child) to the airport. I wanted to tackle him and beat him with a hymnal. Ok I didn't do it. But I wanted to!

I just have a bad attitude. I'm mad that I had to get 4 kids under 5 dressed and ready for church by myself (we're babysitting Lucy's friend) and mad that I'm alone with them again now while he drives all over town visiting people who have just moved into our ward. He doesn't want to assign home teachers until the president is back at the end of August so until then, he is acting as every new family's home teacher.

Tell me to get over it, please.

If I told you to get over it I'd have to take my own advice and get over it. We have an EQ pres but everything still falls on John as 1st counselor. He teaches every week. If we're out of town then they act like it's a huge thing for someone else to teach. He's the one who calls the president to schedule meetings, and generally he's the only one to show up. Last night was an EQ BBQ at the president's house....he didn't show up until it started. John and I were there with the girls from 2-5 getting things set up and BBQing the chicken the pres insisted on having. The Bishop doesn't want them to assign anyone outside of the presidency to teach because we've got some...wanderers in our ward. Meaning weird (not necessarily false...just weird and skewed) doctrine gets taught. But John's the only one out of the 4 in the presidency who'll willingly teach.

Scharae and I didn't go. I'm realizing that John's calling has enabled me to miss church so much. I mean, I have a weekly calling too, but it's easier to justify me not playing for RS than him skipping out on the lesson for EQ, ya know? Scharae's asthma is really freaking me out right now. She's been in one big asthma attack for like the last 10 days and I don't think it's getting better. She's on prednisone which causes mood swings...and she is a JERK. Seriously. I don't even want to be around her and she's my baby! She's hitting and pinching and pulling hair and screaming and yelling when she's awake...which is always because she also doesn't sleep when she's on prednisone. It's supposed to get her wheezing to stop so we can get on top of it with some new meds, but 3 days are gone and there's no change at all. I think I'll be taking her in again early this week rather than waiting the entire month I'm supposed to!

I'm sorry to hear about Scharae's asthma. I hope she gets better soon with the steroids and you can enjoy her again!

And I'm happy I'm not alone in feeling angry at all the time demands on my husband. That's pretty crazy they only let the EQ presidency teach lessons! That would suck. I've come to enjoy my every-other-week-child-free during 3rd hour (we swap). And Penelope starts nursery in just under 2 months. Then what will I do with myself? I've had at least one, sometimes two, little ones with me all 3 hours since February 2006!

*hugs* to both you ladies! I'm sorry that your wards are so unorganized and that both of your husbands are so busy by fulling their calling plus some. You both have every right to be upset about it because its taking both of your husbands away from home more then it should. I thought ours was bad, I dont know who my visiting teachers are, I havent had them since the one sister and her husband left for a mission and they reorganized it all. I know we do not have home teachers.

Tiff I'm really sorry about Scharae's asthma, do you give her breathing treatments? I grew up in a house full of asthma sick people. I was thankful that I never had it, but both my brothers and my mom has it. My husband has it too but his is not bad anymore. I sure hope that she gets better soon!

Thanks for your advice on the skirts. I shopped at Motherhood and Shopko but had no luck, everything was summer dresses, and my garments really go to my knees, I wear the ones that are similar to spandex shorts (that way I'm not always pulling at them). There is a JC Penny's close by only about 30 mins away, but Target is about 45 mins away and I dont get to Ogden to often. I'll have to try them both. The skirt I wore today is just getting TOOO tight!

Well Ladies I'm off to girls camp tomorrow morning until sometime Friday. Wish me luck, I'm not looking forward to going considering all I do is throw up BLAH!!

Well Ladies I'm off to girls camp tomorrow morning until sometime Friday. Wish me luck, I'm not looking forward to going considering all I do is throw up BLAH!!
    Have fun!!!

Yeah - have a great time!!! I love girls camp!

Can I ask you ladies something? I have been thinking about this for some time now and I just can't make heads or tails of it.

Why do you think that getting pregnant hasn't happened yet when we fasted and prayed about if we should even try and got an amazing answer to our prayers, we knew it felt like the right thing to do, everything fell into place for us to come up with the right amount of money we needed for the surgery and everything...so why do you think we are struggling? After 32 months of TTC, I sit here wondering why our HF would want us to go ahead with the surgery, and try if we don't even end up with a baby...I just don't get it. I mean what was the point of all the heartache and the hopeful months???

I am only going to be TTC for 2 more months until my birthday, then we are done. But I am confused as to why we had to go down this road with nothing to show for it? Any thoughts?

I wish I knew. I can say, that I am sure that eventually YOU will know why you had go through this. It may not be right away, but eventually, it will be apparently clear.

We felt strongly we should have a second child, about the time she was a year old, but it took me another few months to agree to 'go through that again' (the pregnancy and birth were really hard on me). Then we started TTC. And nothing happened. Month after month after month. Friends who weren't even TTC got pregnant, stayed pregnant, and delivered their babies in this time! And we couldn't even GET pregnant in the first place! I struggled a lot. I didn't understand why it wasn't happening for us, because we both knew, spiritually, we were promised to have 'childREN' not a 'child.'
    Obviously eventually it DID happen. And I really can't say the definite reason it took so long, except that Truman was a terrible baby. He was so hard on all of us, and himself. He had colic, he had allergies, he hated everything we tried. He was a grumpy boy until at least a year and a half old, and only became what I'd call a 'happy child' after his 2nd birthday! So, partly at least, the wait was to make us appreciate him. Every insanely screaming nonsensical inch of him. If we'd just POOF gotten pregnant with him, then I don't think I would have realized just HOW badly I wanted him, yk?

I hope the next 2 months turn out with a nice surprise for you guys ;)

What a difficult situation... I'd certainly love to know the answer too. More than that, I hope for some wonderful news from you in the next couple months.

My DH and his sister are two years apart, almost to the day. My MIL had no problem getting pregnant with either of them and today they are 29 and 27. BUT... they also have a little sister who is turning 14 this year. During that time my MIL had a difficult time getting and staying pregnant, suffered some painful losses and had decided to stop trying when it finally happened because she didn't want to go through another loss.

So I guess my point is not to share another one of those annoying "just stop trying and it'll happen" stories, but to just give you a little hope.

Hey ladies! I didn't know there was an LDS thread on here I'm not a mom, but I like reading and lurking anyway...hehe (yeah, I'm LDS too!)
    STC #1 since June 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MrsEm View Post
    Hey ladies! I didn't know there was an LDS thread on here I'm not a mom, but I like reading and lurking anyway...hehe (yeah, I'm LDS too!)
    Hi there!!

Well we are finally moving out of my in-laws house. We should be moving in the next few days and I'm VERY EXCITED! We haven't been to church in months, but we are going to re-activate ourselves in our new ward. It's been a hard 9 months here, but I can definitely see the end of the tunnel and it's a lot brighter!

Hey MrsEm!
    Last edited by mattswife; 07-31-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Quote Originally Posted by mattswife View Post
    Well we are finally moving out of my in-laws house. We should be moving in the next few days and I'm VERY EXCITED! We haven't been to church in months, but we are going to re-activate ourselves in our new ward. It's been a hard 9 months here, but I can definitely the end of the tunnel and it's a lot brighter!

Hey MrsEm!
    Yay!!! I hope your move goes smoothly!

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    Can I ask you ladies something? I have been thinking about this for some time now and I just can't make heads or tails of it.

Why do you think that getting pregnant hasn't happened yet when we fasted and prayed about if we should even try and got an amazing answer to our prayers, we knew it felt like the right thing to do, everything fell into place for us to come up with the right amount of money we needed for the surgery and everything...so why do you think we are struggling? After 32 months of TTC, I sit here wondering why our HF would want us to go ahead with the surgery, and try if we don't even end up with a baby...I just don't get it. I mean what was the point of all the heartache and the hopeful months???

I am only going to be TTC for 2 more months until my birthday, then we are done. But I am confused as to why we had to go down this road with nothing to show for it? Any thoughts?
    Sometimes when I'm going through something rough and I don't understand why I think that maybe I'm going through something one of my children will go through in the future and my experience will allow me to help them. Sometimes I find out another reason and sometimes not...but it makes me feel a little better to think it because I would go through anything to be able to be there for one of my children.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

I'm so sorry Lacy, I wish that I had something amazing to say, but I don't. I hope that someday you will be able to understand why you had to go through this trial. I know when I look back on one of the hardest periods in my life, even though it was difficult and painful to go through, and can say that I'm glad that I went through it (not that I would EVER want to do it again ). I know that I learned a lot about myself through that struggle and I know that I use things that I learned from that experience just about everyday. It really helped shaped who I am, how I see myself and helped me to understand a little bit better how our HF sees us. I really am hoping we get to hear some good news from you soon.

Mattswife - Good luck with the move. I hope it is what you need to get you jump started into being active again. We just moved and I am struggling with it right now, but we also moved from a place we had been living our married life and had established some very close friends there. It will be great for you to get some space of your own and your little family. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

WELCOME MrsEm!! I hope we see you here more often

Mommy to Benson (5.5) Myer (3.5) and Holland (4 m)

Well ladies I'm back from girls camp. What an experience lol. We spent the week up to my grandparents cabin and we sooo stayed one day to long. I wish that we would of had a better turn out with the girls but I guess they had such a bad experience last year with their old leaders that not a lot wanted to try this year. We are hoping that that will change for next year. I'm soooo glad to be home though!

Lacy-- I'm with Katrina I sure wish that there was something I could say to make you feel better about TTC. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers and I hope that you get your little miracle soon!

Mattswife-- good luck with your move!

Welcome MrsEm!

so ladies I hope you bear with me here. I went to church today and I wanted to bear my testimony so badly, but John was just being too crazy for that....we left 10 minutes early because I couldn't take it anymore and he cried soooo hard when we got in the car, saying "mommy go church, go church". It broke my heart. I ended up crying the whole way home thinking of my testimony and regretting that I didn't share. So I thought I would share with you guys and cry some more ! Please feel free to share yours

I am so thankful to Heavenly Father that he always finds away to bring us back to where we need to be and that after being inactive for almost 5 years he blessed me with a beautiful little boy. Who through his needy behavior brought the church back in my home. In my efforts to try and find anyway to calm John's crying (which was most of the time) I decided to sing him hymns and other church songs I knew and sure enough, they worked. For months the only way I could get him to sleep was to sing to him of Heavenly Father. And it really made me think. And now here I am almost 2 years later finally reading the scriptures again and going to church when possible. And it makes me so happy that my little boy is so excited to go to church, like it feels like home to him!
    I am also greatful for my husband, and while he is not ready to come to church is so supportive of me and still continues to read the scriptures and discuss the church with me at anytime and teach our son the gospel.
    I am greatful for my in laws in the beyond support that they give me. And I know that I am meant to be in their family and to be a part of this gospel that they share. For they never judge me and are always there for a hug. And I love the fact that my first missionary is now my BIL and everytime I see him I think of being taught and the spirit that came with those teachings.
    I know the church is true and I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and that it is a word of God. I know that when you follow the teaching of the church you will be blessed.

I say (type) this in the name of Jesus Christ
    Amen!

Thanks ladies I hope it's not all over the place, it's hard to put emotions in to words

Thanks for sharing that, Alison!

I bore my testimony today for the first time in....years. Seriously it's been that long. And I was surprisingly comfortable with it. I would have had a lot more to say but my two little ones decided they needed to accompany me up to the front! I hadn't really taken the opportunity to thank my ward for their love and support since me being pregnant last year and Taela passing. They put on the most lovely funeral luncheon afterwards, my young women all got together and made like 12 freezer meals for us, a couple ladies that I didn't even know came and cleaned my house top to bottom. And since then I've really just been drifting. If it weren't for a select few ladies that have called me every couple weeks, and my Bishop has stopped by at some of my lowest moments, out of the blue. I honestly believe if none of them had bothered calling, even if I didn't answer, it would have been a very opportune time for me to just quit going. Anyhow, lately I've realized that what I thought was a very full testimony of the Atonement is still so much a work in progress.

We had an awesome lesson in SS on faith. I think it's the first SS lesson I've really enjoyed, and gotten anything out of, in a very very long time. And RS lesson was on Charity and how it can really help at all times in life, especially when we're at our lowest. That was a very good one, too.

Not looking forward to next week's RS lesson. It's #14 in the JS book and is on grief and loss. I've read through it, and just reading it isn't a big deal...but knowing how RS ladies get all emotional and crap, I'll be bawling the whole time...plus it falls on the day that is 9 months since Taela died.

My girls did so so so great at Sacrament today! They got scripture bags yesterday and packed them last night with their little triple combo (Scharae's is actually a D&C), a small color book with a few crayons and one toy. And darned if they weren't the best behaved they've been ever!

So we actually went to Sacrament meeting today. We didn't stay for the whole meeting, Jonah got antsy and we forgot to bring toys with us, but we went!
    We haven't moved yet. The apartment we were planning to move into was rented before we got our application in (it went fast!), but there is another apartment in the same complex that will be available tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed! I didn't expect that to happen, so now I'm a little nervous about this apartment, but my husband doesn't seem too worried about it. I'll keep you posted though.

Thanks for sharing your testimony with us!

Tiff I dont think I have bore my testimony ever in church, the last time I bore my testimony was when I was a Young Women at girls camp. I get really bad anxiety when I have to talk infront of people. I've lived in the same ward my entire life and I know these people really well but just never will stand and bare my testimony.

We did not make it to church today. I got up and got ready and started puking my guts out. There was just no way I was going feeling so miserable. We did go over to my parents house for dinner later on and I was given another Vit B 12 injection. I'm really over this morning sickness lol.

Brandi, I hope you get over your ms soon! You're getting to the point of needing to be able to enjoy things!

I just mentioned to John how this was the first good Sunday I've had in a long time, and it's maybe the first SS lesson I've ever ever enjoyed. He told me that it's because I bore my testimony so I was in "that" place already. I've been thinking about it. Yesterday was a real rough morning. I went to a mini-marriage counseling session (ie...my father!) and it helped, but he pointed out some things that John and I needed to be focusing on in our home. We've been really working on scripture reading with the girls and this past week have done so good. I think even something as small as that has made such a humongous difference in my ability to tap back into the spiritual reserves that I've got!

This month we're focusing our FHE on testimonies. Keira and Scharae both went up with me today, and Keira was so ready to talk, I just made her leave with me, though. I think if we focus on testimonies and talk about them all month, next Fast Sunday she'll be ready to at least say "I start with K, I three, I pray Jesus and Eternal Father in bed" which is pretty good for a barely 3yo, right!?

EvandAl and Tif, thanks for sharing!

Mattswife, one more month left until we move out of my parent's basement...and I am SOO ready! 6 adults in one house must be too many!

Lastly, I went to the Twin Falls open house and ya'll were right...they didn't even ask for tickets. I thought they were VERY well organized too. Then we drove over to Rexburg and attended the temple there. It was beautiful...as were the gardens on BYU-I campus. We didn't get to spend enough time there. I'll try and share some pics when I get them off my camera...forgive me if it takes a while though, especially because I don't really post a lot of pics on APA.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

((((Al)))) That was super! Next month I know you'll be able to do it in person!

I really needed to go up yesterday too, but unfortunately the children were beasts. I can't figure out why they are sometimes angels, sometimes devils, during sacrament meeting. It doesn't seem to matter what time they go to bed Saturday night, what they eat for breakfast Sunday morning, what snacks or toys I do or do not bring... nothing.

I have decided, though, that after Penny starts nursery mid-September, we are no longer having snacks during sacrament meeting. Penny and Truman will both get snacks in nursery (fortunately for the leaders we have 2 nurseries and they'll be in different ones!), and Lucy is 5 and a half (geez, do NOT forget the half!) and can surely go from breakfast to lunch? If I wait to feed her til right before we leave, that is. We leave at 8:40 so if I feed her at 8:20 then she's only got to go 4 hours before we're back home for lunch. That's my plan, anyway. I have this issue with my kids never going hungry (they aren't fat, I just always have snacks available if they ask). I need to get over it and realize that a growling tummy for an hour isn't deprivation or cruelty!

Now then. DH and I totally broke the Sabbath. We went to a Radiohead concert! My mom drove up and stayed with the kids. It... was... heavenly... Or devilishly fun should I say? We did go back & forth about whether or not we should go, but it just worked out so well (my mom works Tues-Fri so she was able to spend the night and go home today). We still went to church and everything. Just feels a little bit good to be a little bit naughty.