Thread: Holiday Ideas Sticky

Default Holiday Ideas Sticky

Do you think we could start a 'NFL Holiday Ideas' sticky? It would be great to have one place to look for things like natural egg dyes for Easter, Halloween treat ideas, Christmas and Thanksgiving recipes, and Birthday cake alternatives. Can we do this?

Consider it done.

Wonderful idea!! Shall we start with "Green" gift wrapping? Useful for lots of holidays.

1st Birthday Cake Alternative:

For K's birthday I filled a plastic martini glass with blueberries, sliced bananas, and peaches (all her favorite fruits), then topped it with plain yogurt and a big "1st Birthday" candle. I let her dig through it on her own, so we still got the fun photos with yogurt all over her face instead of cake frosting. She loved it!

Last edited by byknski; 12-20-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: ETA Photo

For holiday gift wrapping I used to use paper grocery bags, but I don't have many around since I started using reusable bags. Any other ideas?

I have a friend who hates wrapping paper, so she would just bring over gifts for DS as they were. Well, this year, she bought a really cute dinosaur reusable shopping bag. That is something I will definitely be doing.

Except, i have saved every gift bag that I I ever got when I was pg. I plan on reusing those for every baby gift I have to give.

DH came up with a good one. Use the holiday themed comics from the paper to wrap gifts. Not much to work with, but still cute and festive.

ETA: DH also said that they never wrapped gifts. Everyone would get a Santa sac (red velvet and all) with all their gifts inside. Big family and his mom got lazy once she had her 4th baby.

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    Except, i have saved every gift bag that I I ever got when I was pg. I plan on reusing those for every baby gift I have to give.
    Oh and this. We (and I mean we as in my mother and I because DH can be wasteful sometimes ) ALWAYS save gift bags that we receive. I have tons and tons of birthday, holiday, and baby shower bags in the basement. Why throw them away if they're almost always in excellent shape. I even save the tissue paper too. It's supposed to crinkle any ways so who cares if there's some wrinkles in them?? I also reuse them to carry my breastmilk cooler to and from work.
    Last edited by prittinnpink; 12-17-2010 at 07:31 AM.

My Pampered Chef Site and FB

Quote Originally Posted by byknski View Post
    1st Birthday Cake Alternative:

For K's birthday I filled a plastic martini glass with blueberries, sliced bananas, and peaches (all her favorite fruits), then topped it with plain yogurt and a big "1st Birthday" candle. I let her dig through it on her own, so we still got the fun photos with yogurt all over her face instead of cake frosting. She loved it!
    That's awesome. you should post pics in NM&MG.

Easter Carrot Cake

Ingredients
    2 cups fresh pineapple I shred it as much as possible with my grater
    2 cups shredded carrots
    4 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup canola oil
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts

FROSTING:
    2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
    Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a large bowl, beat the carrots, eggs, sugars, oil, pineapple and reserved juice until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into pineapple mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
    Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
    For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12 servings

Here's a tutorial on how to dye Easter eggs with blueberries, beets, and onion skins.

wilbertxho Guest

Default Holiday Ideas Sticky

Hi
    Am looking for some ideas for our family holiday for next year. Not sure if we want to go on a package sun holiday again went to Portugal this year but also not sure what else we can do. We have 3 small children so we have to take them into account too
    Any ideas are welcome..
    Mum to 4 year old girl and twin boys who are 1 1/2