Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 1095

Thread: Look what I made! Thread...

  1. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    I hold it in place and position it under the foot, sew a zig zag, back stitch and then do a straight stitch, turn it, stitch along the elastic and once I get to where I want the other end of the elastic should be, I turn the diaper to the side, then I pull it as tight as I need to and do a zig zag to the edge and then back stitch and straight stitch. Then I cut the elastic. I dont pre-cut the elastic, I always messed it up that way, so I just leave it full length and then trim.
    Interesting! How do you pull it through to the other end?

  2. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    Oh you stitch it down? Yea, I dont do that anymore haha Its a lot faster for me to tack it good at both ends, turn the diaper right side out and then top stitch around that. I was trying to figure out what you meant and couldnt but Im getting tired too lol
    No I don't stitch it down... It's hard to explain lol. I still stitch AROUND the elastic. I just hated sew down one side, pull tight, sew other end, and then topstitch so I combined them all into one step lol


  3. #123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    Interesting! How do you pull it through to the other end?
    Well my dipes are T&T, so when I top stitch I leave one side open, I don't top stitch it till the end, so I just reach through there to pull the elastic through


  4. #124

    Default

    I think Im still confused haha oh well I tack mine to the seam allowance, before even turning the diaper..Then I flip it right side out, and top stitch it. When I get to the elastic, I grab the bottom, pull the elastic tight and sew around it. I can top stitch the entire thing without having to stop. No messing with the elastic, because its already in there...I just stick it where I want, pull it to the next mark, cut it...

  5. #125

    Default

    I just stitch one side down then I have a threader thingie that pulls the elastic right down then I stitch it on the other side. Easy pesy.

  6. #126

    Default

    I sew the diaper wrong sides first, turn it right side out, top stitch, and then I do the elastic by stitching from the outside of all the layers... The only diaper I can really compare it to is a GM. Very similar to that.


  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    Right now, I am taking orders wherever people decide to order them Mostly through my FB page Although I am working on setting up shop on Etsy or HC.
    Your personal facebook page? I might need to get some flannel pjs for Ainsley for winter.

    Sara(35), DH(34), Ainsley Joy (2/22/09), and Raegan Victoria (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

  8. #128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    Well my dipes are T&T, so when I top stitch I leave one side open, I don't top stitch it till the end, so I just reach through there to pull the elastic through
    So you do the elastic after turning the diaper?

    Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    I think Im still confused haha oh well I tack mine to the seam allowance, before even turning the diaper..Then I flip it right side out, and top stitch it. When I get to the elastic, I grab the bottom, pull the elastic tight and sew around it. I can top stitch the entire thing without having to stop. No messing with the elastic, because its already in there...I just stick it where I want, pull it to the next mark, cut it...
    Yeah, that is how I do it too, especially after watching your videos, though I still struggle with topstitching around the elastic...I always worry I am going to catch the elastic so I constantly stop and check.

  9. #129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    So you do the elastic after turning the diaper?



    Yeah, that is how I do it too, especially after watching your videos, though I still struggle with topstitching around the elastic...I always worry I am going to catch the elastic so I constantly stop and check.
    Yep I do the elastic last.


  10. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    I sew the diaper wrong sides first, turn it right side out, top stitch, and then I do the elastic by stitching from the outside of all the layers... The only diaper I can really compare it to is a GM. Very similar to that.
    We posted at the same time I think I am going to have to closely examine the tester when I get it. LOL I am always up for trying a new technique!

    ETA: Too bad my T&T GM is downstairs...I wanna go look at that now!
    Last edited by i.<3.cheesysmiles; 08-02-2010 at 10:25 PM.

  11. #131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sara1215 View Post
    Your personal facebook page? I might need to get some flannel pjs for Ainsley for winter.
    Yea for now I am just having people PM me on there if they want them. Right now I am waiting on a huge fabric order so I will have some choices here in a few days But I am also doing customs if you have something specific in mind (ie sports team or certain cartoon)


  12. #132

    Default

    It took me a few tries. I have a few its caught in the casing haha I was too lazy to take them apart. If you pull it pretty tight and angle the bottom away from the needle some, it seems to help. I probably make bigger casings then I need to.

    Ok Angela, I think I get it more now. I was looking at the GM and thought it was interesting that the elastic was tacked down on the outside lol

  13. #133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    It took me a few tries. I have a few its caught in the casing haha I was too lazy to take them apart. If you pull it pretty tight and angle the bottom away from the needle some, it seems to help. I probably make bigger casings then I need to.

    Ok Angela, I think I get it more now. I was looking at the GM and thought it was interesting that the elastic was tacked down on the outside lol
    Yea lol. I like the way it looks as opposed to the casing around it when it is top stitched, and I prefer the way it fits too.


  14. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    It took me a few tries. I have a few its caught in the casing haha I was too lazy to take them apart. If you pull it pretty tight and angle the bottom away from the needle some, it seems to help. I probably make bigger casings then I need to.

    Ok Angela, I think I get it more now. I was looking at the GM and thought it was interesting that the elastic was tacked down on the outside lol
    Yeah, and I probably make mine too small!

  15. #135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    Yea for now I am just having people PM me on there if they want them. Right now I am waiting on a huge fabric order so I will have some choices here in a few days But I am also doing customs if you have something specific in mind (ie sports team or certain cartoon)
    I will check out your choices when they come in

    Sara(35), DH(34), Ainsley Joy (2/22/09), and Raegan Victoria (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    Yea lol. I like the way it looks as opposed to the casing around it when it is top stitched, and I prefer the way it fits too.
    Basically since you don't cut the elastic until last you are just tacking one end down. Then, T&T'ing the legs then after you sew down the leg you pull the elastic tight and tack down the other end. I think that's what you were trying to explain right? Since you aren't cutting the elastic's length first you don't have to worry about tacking down both ends. I think that is what your trying to say. I also do this same thing. What I do is measure out how much I'm going to need then mark the elastic with a line. Sew down one end, finish my casing, then pull elastic tight to the line I drew then tack it down.

  17. #137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyn View Post
    Basically since you don't cut the elastic until last you are just tacking one end down. Then, T&T'ing the legs then after you sew down the leg you pull the elastic tight and tack down the other end. I think that's what you were trying to explain right? Since you aren't cutting the elastic's length first you don't have to worry about tacking down both ends. I think that is what your trying to say. I also do this same thing. What I do is measure out how much I'm going to need then mark the elastic with a line. Sew down one end, finish my casing, then pull elastic tight to the line I drew then tack it down.

    Exactly!


  18. #138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sara1215 View Post
    I will check out your choices when they come in
    Oh I made a FB page for the jammies and diapers, I will put the fabric choices up there. I decided to keep it separate from my personal page. Easier that way


  19. #139

    Default

    Ouch. My brain hurts from reading that

    On another note. I'm spend the say sewing on my moms machine It is a thousand times better than mine. My diaper came out sooooo good. I couldnt believe how easy it was. I'll get pics in a few days prob.
    Amanda(24) DH(36)

  20. #140

    Default

    I bought entirely to much fleece to make diapers out of so Im gonna try to make this today if babies will cooperate with me

    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sleepsack.html
    Me&DH 9/15/2007 Santana 11/16/2008 Marisol 3/23/2010

  21. #141

    Default

    Angela- can't wait to put the pants on becca. <3
    Amanda- make sure you post pics of the diapers you are working on..

    \I just talked hubby into buyin me a sewing machine so Maybe once I figure out how to work it I'll try my hand at some dipes. I'll probably start easy with two ply wipes since we use the cloth wipes anyways.
    Loving wife to DH Steve and Adoring mommy to DD Becca 9/2/09 and DD Charlotte 11/15/11

  22. #142

    Default

    V - I wanted to say that I LOVE your elastic method. My mom was trying to explain it to me and I couldn't figure out what she was saying. I watched your video and it just clicked.

    I did one diaper that way and it was sooooooo much easier. I think the end product had the same quality, but it was a lot easier. I just need better elastic, which I now have and will use this weekend when I get a chance to sew.

  23. #143

    Default

    3 testers that have paid-these are going out today!



  24. #144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christineestelle View Post
    V - I wanted to say that I LOVE your elastic method. My mom was trying to explain it to me and I couldn't figure out what she was saying. I watched your video and it just clicked.

    I did one diaper that way and it was sooooooo much easier. I think the end product had the same quality, but it was a lot easier. I just need better elastic, which I now have and will use this weekend when I get a chance to sew.
    Im glad it helped you!!! Once I got it figured out, its really easy for me too lol And saves time, for sure

    Made some shorties real quick this morning. With my serger! whoop haha he wouldnt stand up..watching yo gabba gabba lol


  25. #145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyn View Post
    Basically since you don't cut the elastic until last you are just tacking one end down. Then, T&T'ing the legs then after you sew down the leg you pull the elastic tight and tack down the other end. I think that's what you were trying to explain right? Since you aren't cutting the elastic's length first you don't have to worry about tacking down both ends. I think that is what your trying to say. I also do this same thing. What I do is measure out how much I'm going to need then mark the elastic with a line. Sew down one end, finish my casing, then pull elastic tight to the line I drew then tack it down.
    OK, I think I can picture it in my mind now!! I will have to try that out the next diaper I make.


    Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    3 testers that have paid-these are going out today!

    Can't wait!

  26. #146

    Default

    eek! Going to work on itty bitty fluff today. Soon as Nathan is napping hehe
    Last edited by virginia; 08-03-2010 at 01:14 PM.

  27. #147

    Default

    LOVE the peace frogs!!!!!
    Me&DH 9/15/2007 Santana 11/16/2008 Marisol 3/23/2010

  28. #148

    Default

    Everyone loves the peace frogs lol. Didn't think they would be such a hit!


  29. #149

    Default

    Ok heres what I made today , its a sleep sack.....instead of a zipper...which I have no idea how to sew in I used 2 inch wide velcro at the bottom....its almost to small for Marisol...lol I forgot how chubby she is, but it'll work for a couple of months....BTW..this is some fleece I purchased to make a diaper with!!!! I like sewing on Fleece so much better than flannel

    Last edited by Santasmomma; 08-03-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Me&DH 9/15/2007 Santana 11/16/2008 Marisol 3/23/2010

  30. #150

    Default

    That sleep sack is cute!

    This is what I made today. Not fluffy but I am not a crafty person so I am pretty proud of this. Ainsley's room is orange. It is a holder for her bows!


    Sara(35), DH(34), Ainsley Joy (2/22/09), and Raegan Victoria (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •