Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sew your own diapers!

you make everything sounds so easy I gotta buy myself some nicer pins. I've had the same set that I've had from before I even start sewing and they are the type without a head so I hate pinning!

Can someone explain (or better yet post a link) how to add elastics to the legs to make it look ruffled. I want the legs to look like those of a LB. I sewed in my elastic on one diaper and did the casing and it looks like the elastic on a BG. I don't want that.

Thanks!!

ETA: I currently am using 1/4 inch polybraid elastic. Should I use something else to achieve what I want?
    Last edited by prittinnpink; 08-30-2010 at 09:02 AM.

My Pampered Chef Site and FB

You gotta top stitch the diaper first, then add the elastic.

Id have to see one of those in person, to say for SURE how they do it. They might even attach the elastic to the inner layer or something too...

Rita's Rump Pattern shows the ruffle elastic.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to experiment.

Ok.. I have another question. I bought this flannel print. I want to make a diaper where the tabs are solid red. I wasn't thinking and bought solid red interlock. Would the two fabrics go well or should I just get red flannel? Does it even matter?? The diaper won't be stretchy but the tabs will be.

Quote Originally Posted by prittinnpink View Post
    Ok.. I have another question. I bought this flannel print. I want to make a diaper where the tabs are solid red. I wasn't thinking and bought solid red interlock. Would the two fabrics go well or should I just get red flannel? Does it even matter?? The diaper won't be stretchy but the tabs will be.
    Cute print and the tabs would be perfect being interlock.

did you find the ruffle elastic tute you were looking for? Are you t&t or serging? I know Anne does a triple zigzag for her elastic and that's a nightmare to take out so make sure you practice before you do it on your Spiderman diaper.

You can do ruffle elastic different ways so it just depends on what you're after. Youtube usually has some decent tutes on sewing techniques. so does diapersewingdivas and verybaby
    ~Kim~mama to Braeden 5-7-96,Kyle 12-8-98,Rachel 3-18-06, Emmaleeah 6-13-08, and baby Jason 3-27-12

No I didn't really find any tute that could help me just yet. I'm T&T so it's making it a big harder. I just gave up for the time being and have been doing the casing method.

Can you buy just the loop part of hook and loop????

Quote Originally Posted by christineestelle View Post
    online you can.

If you want to do a ruffle leg, you can top stitch it, but leave the front open so you can then reach in and put the elastic in. Or zig zag it in before you turn it, but then you gotta make sure you put it in far enough to top stitch next to it...

Quote Originally Posted by prittinnpink View Post
    No I didn't really find any tute that could help me just yet. I'm T&T so it's making it a big harder. I just gave up for the time being and have been doing the casing method.
    I made a tute last year for little Christmas ornament diapers and I'm pretty sure I did a ruffle elastic. Let me go dig it up in PB land...
    ~Kim~mama to Braeden 5-7-96,Kyle 12-8-98,Rachel 3-18-06, Emmaleeah 6-13-08, and baby Jason 3-27-12

Quote Originally Posted by christineestelle View Post
    what size are you after? I've got a bagillion yards of it here. seriously a HUGE roll of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Living4Him View Post
    what size are you after? I've got a bagillion yards of it here. seriously a HUGE roll of it.
    I could use some if you have extra lol 3-4 yards or so? I have a TON of hook left from the velcro Ive been buying haha what size do you have??

Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    I could use some if you have extra lol 3-4 yards or so? I have a TON of hook left from the velcro Ive been buying haha what size do you have??

It is 1 1/2 inch while Aplix loop. and Yes, I've got a lot. LMK if that size works for you.

Thats perfect! the hook I have is 2" but its easy to size down. I usually do anyhow, since I cannot find any 1.5 here lol

I don't care what size. I'll make it work. I just don't want to buy a bunch of hook and loop and keep having so much hook leftover.

http://www.buyhookandloop.com/Sew_On_hook_Loop.asp

Think I found my source. Anyone see this site before??? $11 for 50 yards seems like a good deal to me.

Ok, after trying several of my *own* diaper patterns, I finally gave in and made a Rita's Rump Pocket! I'm so excited because the pattern had some directions on how to do things I didn't know how to do. I also used V's elastic tutorials (thank you!!). I'll get some pics when Agnes is awake but she'd be pretty angry if I woke her up now (midnight!).

I'm thinking about trying grand flannel for the inner because I want to keep Agnes dry, and maybe fleece for the outer because I want to keep everything else more or less dry. I am also eventually going to finish making my wool skirty but that might be awhile.

But my question is--does microfleece work well as a cover? Does it do anything for a water barrier like regular fleece?
    How does glacier fleece work? Is it any different from regular fleece?
    Last edited by wingsmith; 09-25-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    Cathy, Mommy to Genevieve and Agnes

stupid question.... maybe. at work we throw away disposable blood pressure cuffs after each patient, even if they don't get used.

the velco on them is phenomenal IMO. it is not like regular velcro. reckon it could be cut to size and used on diaps?
    Personal space is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsmith View Post
    I'm thinking about trying grand flannel for the inner because I want to keep Agnes dry, and maybe fleece for the outer because I want to keep everything else more or less dry. I am also eventually going to finish making my wool skirty but that might be awhile.

But my question is--does microfleece work well as a cover? Does it do anything for a water barrier like regular fleece?
    How does glacier fleece work? Is it any different from regular fleece?
    Microfleece is used as an inner cause it wicks moisture away. I'm pretty sure glacier fleece is the same as regular fleece. Like Joanns has blizzard fleece. And its "water resistant".

Quote Originally Posted by lhill8 View Post
    stupid question.... maybe. at work we throw away disposable blood pressure cuffs after each patient, even if they don't get used.

the velco on them is phenomenal IMO. it is not like regular velcro. reckon it could be cut to size and used on diaps?
    Totally!!!!

And ... talk about a waste!

Quote Originally Posted by karen208 View Post
    Microfleece is used as an inner cause it wicks moisture away. I'm pretty sure glacier fleece is the same as regular fleece. Like Joanns has blizzard fleece. And its "water resistant".
    Ok so I'll just use the grand flannel or microfleece as the inner. I always see fancy names for fleece but I never know if it actually means anything...I found some CUTE fleece patterns while shopping online at Hancock Fabrics last night!!
    Cathy, Mommy to Genevieve and Agnes

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but I saw it on this blog. Which is AWESOME btw. There's a few more helpful tips there but I thought this was a really good one.

When sewing PUL instead of using pins use paper clips, bobby pins, or clothes pins so that you don't make holes in the PUL.

My sisters son is expecting (well his gf) anyhow honestly how easy is it to make diapers bc she really wants em to use cloth but she dosent wanna spend the crazy money that I do on diapers, Also what materials would you say are best for nb?

OK so .... Swaddlebees (Blueberry) sells PUL extras that they don't use. if I'm reading this page right, it's $6 a yard. That seems like a really good deal, yeah???

http://www.swaddlebees.com/Products/...E-HOOK-LOOP_15

I bought some of their pul. It's sandwiched so there is no shiny sticky side. I think it will take longer to dry but otherwise seemed like a really good deal!
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa724 View Post
    I bought some of their pul. It's sandwiched so there is no shiny sticky side. I think it will take longer to dry but otherwise seemed like a really good deal!
    I would think it would be easier to sew with too.

That's what I was thinking too.
    AKA Lisa724

ktbug Guest

Default question about snaps

So who has a snap press?

I've made a few diapers and used my snap press and it seems like when I finish the diaper and turn it right side out it looks fine. But when I snap it, the snap pulls through the knit outer when I snap it open/closed.

It looks something like this:
    This is a close up.

This one you can see how the whole snap is pulled up and the rest are sitting normal. It's the second in from the right side.

So-- when you snap your diapers, do you snap through multiple layers or snap through the entire diaper (then the snaps will be on the babes skin) or how do you do it? I am frustrated that I can't seem to get it right and keep wasting time and material!

I think if you want to put snaps onto knit and have it on before the diaper is sewn up, you need to add another layer of something there, so there is more support. knit is stretchy, so when your pulling the snaps, its stretching the fabric. I would probably put like a layer of fleece or something and THEN put the snaps..so there is more support.