Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sew your own diapers!

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I really want to try to make some dipes but am relatively new to sewing. I'm going to start reading through the links when I have time and watching the videos. Thanks!
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by Santasmomma View Post
    both of those videos are so helpful!! You did a great job!!
    Thanks I could possibly make others if there is a need. Caitlyn likes helping me lol

What pattern do you ladies like to use the most? We want to make either a pocket or AIO but even if I have to make a fitted and put a cover that's fine also since we didnt get the PUL earlier. Thanks!
    megan=21 albert=25 cooper = 4.20.2010 like an open book you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, the days of my life all prepared before i'd even lived one day! psalm139

Mine is a modified Ritas Rump Pocket. I really like it

adorsey Guest

ok so I really want to start making some diapers. I went to Joann's today and looked around and really had no idea what to get! All I saw was a bunch of fabric. I didnt see any names for the fabric and I didnt see any PUL. I want to make waterproof diapers so what do i need to look for when i go back?

I've found the pul in different parts of different stores. Its mostly with the utility fabrics like heavy duty nylon. I've only seen pale colors, like pink, blue and yellow Also next to the clerance section of fabrics.

As far as what fabrics to get its up to you. Flannle is good to start with and fleece, but cotten knits would be cute on the outer if doing a pul inner. I dont feel like Joanns has anything good for the inner diaper though. I do love the grand flannel at Hancocks though! Gosh there are just too many options, I wish I could just take you there myself and show you!
    Amanda(24) DH(36)

I'm still new at making my own diapers, but for simplicity and cost, I've been doing all flannel. I am afraid of PUL, so I haven't been looking for it. If I get adventerous enough for PUL, I might try it and make a "real" diaper pail liner too (as opposed to my shower curtain bag that I made).

In the meantime, I'm just making cute stuff with flannel.

So question regarding velcro.

You buy the industrial velcro? It seems so expensive for the amount that you get in the package. Am I not seeing the same stuff? I also can't find it that's sew-on ... only sticky back.

mommajess Guest

I just bought a bunch of materials from here http://kidsinthegarden.com/shop/ They have a great selection and the prices weren't to bad. I was also able to get the sew-on hook & Loop. They also have some cute PUL prints that you can buy by the inch.

Quote Originally Posted by christineestelle View Post
    So question regarding velcro.

You buy the industrial velcro? It seems so expensive for the amount that you get in the package. Am I not seeing the same stuff? I also can't find it that's sew-on ... only sticky back.
    Don't buy it at Joanns. Their stuff isn't strong enough or durable enough for diapers. I have only found it online at diaper supply stores. It's called Aplix or Touchtape hook and loop since Velcro is a brand name, not the product name.
    Crystal ~ Mama to 3 ~ WAHM making cloth diapers and wipes for Ellie Mae Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut's Mom View Post
    Don't buy it at Joanns. Their stuff isn't strong enough or durable enough for diapers. I have only found it online at diaper supply stores. It's called Aplix or Touchtape hook and loop since Velcro is a brand name, not the product name.
    V buys actual Velcro from Wal-mart, but I don't think I saw at mine what she has at hers.

I've been looking around at patterns for AIO's that I could make and I really love the look of this diaper... has anyone made this one? If so do you like it?

http://www.chloetoesboutique.com/sto...sDiaperPattern

Yep, I get mine from wal mart. So far anyhow, it works really well. And it sticks good.

Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    Yep, I get mine from wal mart. So far anyhow, it works really well. And it sticks good.

How many diapers do you get out of that?

I did see that stuff.

Since I'm not making AIOs and will probably use a cover 99% of the time, I'm not super concerned about the velcro being uber tacky. I didn't put velcro on two of my diapers and they stay just fine in the cover.

Its like $6 and I think I get 5...I havent done any velcro ones in awhile, so I forgot haha I have a TON of hook left though, its the loop part that gets used up. It really depends on how long the velcro strip in the front is. Maybe I get more than 5...its 3' long.

mommajess Guest

I don't know if this has been asked but I am using bamboo terry. How many times do you need to wash this stuff to help get max absorbancy? And with microbfiber do those need to be prepped to get them to be more absorbant???

I was my fabric once before sewing, then once after.

mommajess Guest

I washn't sure since it was bamboo if I had to wash it more or not. I have washed it a couple of times but it just doesn't seem that absorbant. I will give it a few more washes and see how it works.

I havent used that yet, so Im not sure.

mommajess Guest

How many layers of Bamboo Velour would make a good soaker for my AIO's? I am thinking of using the velour next time cause its cheaper then the terry.

mommajess Guest

Also, Does anybody know how hemp holds up over time. I thought I heard that it can get stiff but I don't know if thats true or not. Or should I just stick with the bamboo since it cost basically the same?

I use bamboo fleece and use 3-4 layers per soaker. And I make one long soaker and then a short one, that I can stick wherever. So then I can have up to 12 layers of bamboo fleece in one spot, NOT including the 2 I put into the diaper itself. And no, its not as bulky as you'd think

Quote Originally Posted by mommajess View Post
    I just bought a bunch of materials from here http://kidsinthegarden.com/shop/ They have a great selection and the prices weren't to bad. I was also able to get the sew-on hook & Loop. They also have some cute PUL prints that you can buy by the inch.
    This is a great place to get touch tape and PUL from. I found her to be reasonably priced and everything has held up well. The first diaper I made 2 years ago with the touch tape from her store is still going strong.

As for looking for PUL at Joannes it will very by store. I just found it at the Joanne's over next to St. Louis. The lady told me they just started carrying it a month ago. I ended up getting it for 5.99 a yard. They also had about 6 or 7 colors.

Also natures fabrics . com is a good place to get your diaper making fabrics. If you are a member of there yahoo group there is a code to use and get 20% off of your purchases. I ended up getting 2 yards for 18.00. They also have tons of printed knits, hemp, wool interlock and many other fabrics for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by hollyn; 08-21-2010 at 08:45 PM.

mommajess Guest

I don't know if this has been asked but I am using bamboo terry. How many times do you need to wash this stuff to help get max absorbancy? And with microbfiber do those need to be prepped to get them to be more absorbant???
    Um to get it absorbing good, wash it a ton. Kind of like prepping prefolds. The more I washed the better it got.

Also, Does anybody know how hemp holds up over time. I thought I heard that it can get stiff but I don't know if thats true or not. Or should I just stick with the bamboo since it cost basically the same?
    My unbleached hemp isn't really stiffer than it was in the beginning. I just buoght some hemp (thirsties new inserts) and they are super soft, so I guess it depends.

I have heard some people complain that hemp tears easily and holds stink, but I have had neither of those problems.

I was looking up some new patterns and I saw one that had directions to sew the elastic to the hidden layer. Then, pin and serge (in my case it would be sew).Anyone do it this way? Elastics first?

I know Angela mentioned using cotton fleece in a diaper, has anyone tried it? The author of this same pattern says she uses it as her hidden layer.

Ive sewn the fleece to the outer and then sewn the diaper..but not to the hidden. Maybe I'll try that next time.

yeah, I was thinking this might be a better approach for me, but then i might get all messed up with pinning it together!

Its not that hard to pin..just stretch the elastic when you do it and remember you gotta stretch it when sewing that part