Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sew your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    what is cotton fleece...like sweatshirt material? I wouldn't think it's as absorbent, but you could try it out!
    Like sweatshirt material, exactly! That's all bamboo fleece is, sweatshirty material with bamboo blended in.

well, let us know hoe it works if you decide to try it out!

Well I checked celtic cloth's site and it says
    Fleece- Often you can find sweatshirt fleece fairly easily and in a variety of colors. Just be sure to check the content. Purchase only fabrics with at least an 85% cotton content to be sure it has the absorbency you need for cloth diapers.

that's funny because I was going to google it! I just looked at my sweatshirt and it is 80% cotton. I don't see why you couldn't use it as an inner or outer at least since the absorbent stuff is really in the soaker.

Are all the outer fabrics waterproof or just the PUL? If I ever make one, I want to make it an AIO or a one-size pocket but the PUL is too expensive for a trial diaper. I could just do a knitted wool cover, I guess, but I really prefer AIO style. What works?
    Cathy, Mommy to Genevieve and Agnes

I have no idea what kind of fleece I used. Whatever was at wal-mart. I assume not bamboo.

Regarding waterproof outer fabrics, fleece works too.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsmith View Post
    Are all the outer fabrics waterproof or just the PUL? If I ever make one, I want to make it an AIO or a one-size pocket but the PUL is too expensive for a trial diaper. I could just do a knitted wool cover, I guess, but I really prefer AIO style. What works?
    Fleece works really well. And it is more breathable. I use one layer in my diapers and then extra fleece backing on the soaker. Or you can do 2 layers of fleece as an outer, but it adds a little bit of bulk.

Just know though, that fleece is NOT 100% waterproof. When compressed, it will leak some. But for the most part, it works well. I tend to not trust my fleece outer diapers and put a cover when under clothes.

PUL isnt too bad at Joanns, especially if you get it with a coupon. You can get it for like $5 per yard then

Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    Just know though, that fleece is NOT 100% waterproof. When compressed, it will leak some. But for the most part, it works well. I tend to not trust my fleece outer diapers and put a cover when under clothes.

PUL isnt too bad at Joanns, especially if you get it with a coupon. You can get it for like $5 per yard then
    That's less than the fleece I got at Wally World.

I need to go to Joann's.

Yea, its regularly $9.99 per yard, but they almost always have a coupon out. Thats when I buy it, when I have the 50% off and then I try to get 2 yards haha

Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post

Ok. I was there yesterday and almost looked for the PUL but I'm not even sure if I'm going to stick with CDing if Agnes keeps getting so rashy (but she hasn't in 2 days and some hemp balm from Morgan is on the way!! ) but I would like to try making them someday.

Now, next question...with the PUL, can't you sew a cute outer fabric against the PUL to make a more exciting diaper? Is that easy enough to do or is it hard to keep the right tension?

And I know I've asked this before, but what works well as a stay dry inside (the part touching the baby's bum)?

Ok. I was there yesterday and almost looked for the PUL but I'm not even sure if I'm going to stick with CDing if Agnes keeps getting so rashy (but she hasn't in 2 days and some hemp balm from Morgan is on the way!! ) but I would like to try making them someday.

Now, next question...with the PUL, can't you sew a cute outer fabric against the PUL to make a more exciting diaper? Is that easy enough to do or is it hard to keep the right tension?
    Yea, a lot of people do hidden PUL layers since most PUL is plain borning white or yellow. PUL is hard to sew with because it sticks to the machine if it is directly in contact, so you want to put some fabric on the sticky side, or wax paper I was told works too.

And on a random side note, do you use PUL covers all the time? I kind of wonder if her rashes are due to moisture? Have you tried going coverless for part of the day or using a fleece or wool cover since it can breathe better than the PUL?

And for stay dry I use grand flannel, it is like the stuff in BGs, super cheap and works really well for us

Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post

And on a random side note, do you use PUL covers all the time? I kind of wonder if her rashes are due to moisture? Have you tried going coverless for part of the day or using a fleece or wool cover since it can breathe better than the PUL?

And for stay dry I use grand flannel, it is like the stuff in BGs, super cheap and works really well for us
    I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll knit some wool soakers. I'm afraid of going coverless!

Is grand flannel different from the regular flannel I see everywhere? I have a ways to go before I even start (I've only sewed 2 cloth wipes so far!)

If I can find it again, there is a tutorial showing how to do a PUL diaper, with a cute knit outer, that doesnt wick.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll knit some wool soakers. I'm afraid of going coverless!

Is grand flannel different from the regular flannel I see everywhere? I have a ways to go before I even start (I've only sewed 2 cloth wipes so far!)
    Grand flannel is nothing like regular flannel. I found it at hancocks and it is actually polyester, whereas flannel is cotton. It's got a smooth side and then on the other side it is kind of fuzzy and soft, but it pulls moisture away really really well.

I have not been able to find grand flannel anywhere around here. I'd like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    I have not been able to find grand flannel anywhere around here. I'd like to try it.
    Well it is on the soaker in your dipe But Hancock has it on their site.

I have 2 yards if grand flannel and 1 yard of microfleece coming form hancocks I cant wait to compare the stuff.

I'm also finding that I like having a layer of fleece inside. I bet PUL would be even better, but I'm indimdatied to try something that I might screw up

Otherwise for inside fabrics I've been using reg flannel (not super soft but works) and some super soft fleece blankets I had laying around I was never going to use.
    Amanda(24) DH(36)

Here is my recommendation, if you want to use PUL. DONT cut the pul to the exact diaper shape. Leave it in a bigger rectangle, and sandwich it inbetween the layers. This way, if it shifts, which it will, even when pinned, your not trying to keep it with the pattern If that makes sense. Or, put it on the outside, with the fabric side down, so the feed dog pull it, and NOT the sticky side...

I am sooo ordering some stuff tomorrow or hell maybe I'll go to a fabric store. I gotta pay for the shipping for my fleece too.

mommajess Guest

how many layers of flannel do you need to make a nice soaker....it will be in a AIO

mommajess Guest

Oh and it will be Bamboo Flannel

Id probably do 4-5 at least.

mommajess Guest

Thanks

FYI Hancocks had super fast shipping. I ordered 3 yards on monday and it was here today (Thurs!) Joanns took 2 full weeks to ship and we have that store up here in AK.

Oh and the grand flannel looks awesome, but I also ordered mircofleece and it is soooo soft!
    Amanda(24) DH(36)

both of those videos are so helpful!! You did a great job!!
    Me&DH 9/15/2007 Santana 11/16/2008 Marisol 3/23/2010

both of those videos are so helpful!! You did a great job!!
    Me&DH 9/15/2007 Santana 11/16/2008 Marisol 3/23/2010

Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    Well it is on the soaker in your dipe But Hancock has it on their site.
    Oh good!! I get to feel it first before deciding to order some! I can't wait for the diaper!

Okay. I have snap pliers now but I was wondering what are safe snappi fabrics. It doesn't seem to hook to knits well.