Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sew your own diapers!

Would stabilizer work?

I use flannel, and I snap through all the layers. One layer of flannel isn't strong enough to support the snaps, so I go through both layers and the snaps end up against her skin.

It probably would, but Im not sure how it would hold up in a diaper...which is why Id use some fleece or something personally. I just snap through all layers. They dont bug Nathan unless the diaper is too tight

ktbug Guest

sweet, I'll try some through all the layers. Since I don't have a LO to try them out on, it's hard to know if they'd bug the skin or not. I guess I just worried it would so I tried to avoid it.

I might also try the fleece and see how that works. TY

I think for most kids, the snap caps dont bother them at all. A lot of diapers come that way. The fleece will help make it sort of waterproof too

Kate you could put a small piece of PUL behind the snaps if you have that too. I'm sorry I never got back with you on this issue. I had some thoughts on it and then spaced it. If I were you I'd put PUL or fleece behind it but PUL tends to be much thinner if you're only putting a square of it or a strip across the tummy panel just for snaps.
    FTR, I won't buy diapers that have exposed inner snaps. I can't stand how they rub her hip bone.

my other thought on your press is try using the kitchen counter and not the floor. I think it'll be a TON easier for you.
    ~Kim~mama to Braeden 5-7-96,Kyle 12-8-98,Rachel 3-18-06, Emmaleeah 6-13-08, and baby Jason 3-27-12

ktbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Living4Him View Post
    Kate you could put a small piece of PUL behind the snaps if you have that too. I'm sorry I never got back with you on this issue. I had some thoughts on it and then spaced it. If I were you I'd put PUL or fleece behind it but PUL tends to be much thinner if you're only putting a square of it or a strip across the tummy panel just for snaps.
    FTR, I won't buy diapers that have exposed inner snaps. I can't stand how they rub her hip bone.

my other thought on your press is try using the kitchen counter and not the floor. I think it'll be a TON easier for you.
    Not a problem on forgetting before. I haven't had much time to sew/make anything lately. I've spent my little free time knitting.

I made an AIO before and had a heck of a time getting the snaps through the PUL. Any tips to get them through easier?

And I was worried about the caps on the skin too, which is obviously why I was thinking of this. Chris and I both have super sensitive skin and I'm pretty sure our kids will too since it's been passed down from both of families.

I probably won't have much time to sew in the next few weeks since we're demo'ing the basement right now but once that settles down and the big work is done, DH will be finishing up the rest with my brother and his brother.

For now, I may use scrap pieces of PUL with knit and see if I can figure out some easy ways to get it through so when I do get a diaper made, I'll have worked with it some and might not get so frustrated.

TY

Kate for sure your best friend would be an awl to get that snap through the PUL. I'll be back, Em needs something.
    ~Kim~mama to Braeden 5-7-96,Kyle 12-8-98,Rachel 3-18-06, Emmaleeah 6-13-08, and baby Jason 3-27-12

An awl would help. I didn't actually use one on pul on the BG I converted cause I read it goes through easily and at least on the BG it did.

I always use an awl, I like them

I was just looking at my BGs as I stuffed them and it looks like they use something similar to ripstop nylon behind their PUL to stablize, perhaps that would be good?

ktbug Guest

Where can I get an awl?

You've all given me some great tips to go on, I can't wait to try everything out. I'm pretty sure my Joanns carries ripstop so I may pick up a little of that and see what I can come up with.

Thank you

ETA: I guess I could just type in Awl and see what I come up with. Some day's I'm stupid, ignore me. LOL

Look at Kamsnaps

Kate I'll suggest looking at a local hardware store like Sears or Home Depot, Lowes, something like that. the awl I have is Craftsman, so from Sears, and it has a nice thick handle that is really easy to get a good grip on. I've seen some that are long and thin and I don't think it would be as easy to use. the grasp would give my hand a cramp for sure so I'd pick the thicker handle.

this is the one I have

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00941028000P

Quote Originally Posted by Living4Him View Post
    Kate I'll suggest looking at a local hardware store like Sears or Home Depot, Lowes, something like that. the awl I have is Craftsman, so from Sears, and it has a nice thick handle that is really easy to get a good grip on. I've seen some that are long and thin and I don't think it would be as easy to use. the grasp would give my hand a cramp for sure so I'd pick the thicker handle.

this is the one I have

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00941028000P
    Yup. This. Or Joann's. I saw this cute one there last time I went.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd140376

My Pampered Chef Site and FB

ktbug Guest

You gals are awesome. Thanks so much!

what fabrics are snappiable? I want to make prefolds... can you give me a list of what will work and what will not???

Me: Robin Follow As Natalie Blooms DH: Aaron

quick question... when making pre folds do i need to worry about cotton vs poly thread?

I would use poly or woolynylon for a serger just because it is softer. Cotton wicks but that doesn't really matter in prefolds.

thanks morgan. i have a lady from church who is going to lend me her serger so I am pretty excited about it. I turn thirty this year and the only thing i want is a serger!! haha
    I got on btynm and i'm still trying to figure it all out haha

I just got my serger and it's seriously the best invention, ever! Totally an awesome 30th b-day gift!!
    For a 4 thread serger you need just two of each thread, so 2 wooly nylons and 2 regular thread. I didn't realize that at first and bought 4 of each type.
    If you have any questions about BTYNM let me know. =)

sergers are awesome What is BTYNM?

Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    sergers are awesome What is BTYNM?
    OMG I've had mine since I last PMd you about it, like what a month ago. It's STILL sitting on the sewing table. I'm deathly afraid of it.

Once you start using it, you'll love it! LOL I was afraid of mine too but now Im getting better at sewing with it for sure.

It's the co-op-- by the yard N more on Yahoo.

And yeah, once you start using it you'll never go back!!!

oh ok! not another co op! haha *covers eyes* hehe those can be so darn addicting

i have watched my friend do it and it *looks* so fast and easy. don't scare me!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by virginia View Post
    oh ok! not another co op! haha *covers eyes* hehe those can be so darn addicting
    THIS

oops, posted on the wrong thread... please ignor my preggo brian
    Last edited by ItsCandace; 09-06-2011 at 10:54 AM.

I am going to attempt making nb fitteds. Do you prefer snaps or velcro for closure? I am leaning towards snaps cause I'd like to do a snap down for stumpy.
    Roman :

Snaps!

Reason: so much easier to make. Velcro is a PITA because you need so much loop and so little hook. And you have to cut it right and align it. Snaps are done at the end and are just so much easier.

I also like snaps over velcro on my diapers anyway.