Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movies to Avoid

Hybrid View

Default Movies to Avoid

Hi ladies!
    My DH came up with the idea for this thread. It seems like everytime we try to watch a movie there is something about infertility, pregnancy, birth, or babies. He said we should make a list to warn each other so when we are grieving it is not made worse. Just an example:

Julie and Julia (infertility/sister's pregnancy)
    Up (infertility)
    Revolutionary Road (abortion)

Marley & Me (m/c)

Co-sleeping, baby-wearing, bfing, pumping, working ft mama.

That is an excellent idea. I wish I had known about Julie & Julia. Even though we aren't ttc right now, that scene hit me right between the eyes and I BURST into tears, because I had lived through the exact same thing with my own sis when I was STC. Most people don't even recall what I'm talking about when I mention it.
    ~Laura, mama to my little monkeygirl~

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymom View Post
    That is an excellent idea. I wish I had known about Julie & Julia. Even though we aren't ttc right now, that scene hit me right between the eyes and I BURST into tears, because I had lived through the exact same thing with my own sis when I was STC. Most people don't even recall what I'm talking about when I mention it.
    I'm so glad this one was mentioned. It's such a tiny little scene. It almost seems poked in there and doesn't really make the story flow any better. Just the same I sure did notice it and cried....thankfully in a dark theater.

I was so upset when I saw Revolutionary Road- I was pissed to say the least.

Father of the Bride II (pregnancy)
    Knocked Up (pregnancy)
    Baby Mama (pregnancy/infertility)
    Juno (pregnancy)
    Look Who's Talking series (pregnancy)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKat View Post
    I was so upset when I saw Revolutionary Road- I was pissed to say the least.

Father of the Bride II (pregnancy)
    Knocked Up (pregnancy)
    Baby Mama (pregnancy/infertility)
    Juno (pregnancy)
    Look Who's Talking series (pregnancy)
    I bought Baby Mama the morning before I start spotting with baby #1 last February. Needless to say I still haven't watched it.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Sex in the City (pregnancy and baby)
    Last edited by srh38; 02-22-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Erin Brockovich (infertility)

[Its been a while since I watched it but I cannot recall exactly how much attention is brought to it- I think miscarriage is mentioned as well.]

This one isn't about infertility or pregnancy but I watched it about 2 months after my infant son died. I knew what the end had to be but it still made me cry anyway.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (infant death - odd story)
    Me (27) & DH (36)
    Baby Van
    Ryesen - born 6/9/10

Quote Originally Posted by amanda82 View Post
    This one isn't about infertility or pregnancy but I watched it about 2 months after my infant son died. I knew what the end had to be but it still made me cry anyway.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (infant death - odd story)
    The movie broke my heart!

Co-sleeping, baby-wearing, bfing, pumping, working ft mama.

Quote Originally Posted by eenchoo View Post
    The movie broke my heart!
    Totally agree with this one, kept me up for hours after watching it (Curious Case of Benjamin Button).

I can't think of any other movies right at the moment but we may need another sticky for books too. I just read a book that R E A L L Y bothered me Handle With Care by Jodi Piccoult. Wrongful Birth storyline. I curse the woman who thought I would enjoy reading this!
    DH (John); Me (Tanya); DD (Amber 14); DD (Emily arrived 3/29/07); DS (My Precious Baby Boy - JD born at 22w4d on 12/27/07)

great idea for a thread. I am feeling like everything lately has pregnancy/miscarriage/infants in it. I thought "well, let me stick with some original shows on TV" ha, I watchefd gilmore girls- friend gets preg- i watched REBA- daughter is pregnant 2nd time- I watched tyler perry house of pain, seems like a sure bet- ex wife is PREG! Seriously! I am watching only Dora from now on!

Almost everything I've watched in the past week has been about babies.

Does anyone know how we can make this a stickey?

Quote Originally Posted by srh38 View Post
    Does anyone know how we can make this a stickey?
    Yep! Done.

Thanks Brenda, you rock!
    Last edited by srh38; 02-03-2010 at 04:22 PM.

I can't think of any movies, but I do know of some tv shows. It does seem like every single thing I watch has something in it - things I never would've even noticed in the past.
    The Office Seasons 5 & 6 - pregnancy
    Psych Season One - pregnancy
    Lost Season One - pregnancy and baby - this one hit me especially hard as we were watching it while I was in the hospital, and then I came home without my baby, and we were about due for the episode where a baby was born.

Another TV show, Accidentally On Purpose. I made the mistake of watching the initial show when she went and got a sono and saw the heartbeat :-(

2/09 6/09 4/14

House, M.D.

Its multiple seasons. I believe there is one on infant death, then pregnancy issues with one mother, Cuddy has fertility issues and her first adoption falls through. Very heart breaking.

CSI- there are a few episodes in all 3 of the versions of this involving miscarriages or infertility and possibly even infant death.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKat View Post
    House, M.D.

Its multiple seasons. I believe there is one on infant death, then pregnancy issues with one mother, Cuddy has fertility issues and her first adoption falls through. Very heart breaking.

CSI- there are a few episodes in all 3 of the versions of this involving miscarriages or infertility and possibly even infant death.
    HOUSE- it's majority of season 5, it has made me cry countless times. Used to be my favorite show. I had to quit watching it all together in fear of bursting out in tears.

Four Christmases (baby)

This is a great idea for a thread. Thank you!

I'm going to guess Time Travellers Wife, though I've been avoiding watching it. Does anyone know for sure? The book was very interesting, but had some very unpleasant miscarriage scenes...

Ali, DH, Søren (4/2011) and a little one due in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourou View Post
    This is a great idea for a thread. Thank you!

I'm going to guess Time Travellers Wife, though I've been avoiding watching it. Does anyone know for sure? The book was very interesting, but had some very unpleasant miscarriage scenes...
    Definitely talks about m/c and fertility issues.
    My Harley Angel 12/13/2004-03/18/2005

Murphys Romance (twins)
    Miss Conception (woman struggling to get pg before biological clock runs out)
    Parenthood (babies, one birth, and several pg women)
    Nine Months (pregnancy and birth)

Dont watch The Time Traveler's Wife. It has miscarriages and just over all emotional movie.

NMRCDova Guest

Quote Originally Posted by akm0036 View Post
    Dont watch The Time Traveler's Wife. It has miscarriages and just over all emotional movie.
    DH and I finally watched this one for the first time this week. I thought I was strong enough, but it still brought me (and DH) to tears.

TV show:

Big Love (pregnancy and secondary infertility)
    Damages (pregnancy)
    Last edited by srh38; 02-22-2010 at 10:01 AM.

tv show 'new adventures of old christine' (her ex hubbys woman gets pregnant)
    (marly and me made me cry and i was not yet pregnant)

Waitress (pregnancy/birth)
    Meet the Fockers (pregnancy)
    Last edited by srh38; 02-19-2010 at 07:38 PM.

I don't have many that are new to add, but have to agree with. . .

- I have two associations with Marley and Me. . . I was listened to the book on CD the same week we found out our first DS had his severe heart defects. I was eager to see the movie, though, when it came out a year and half later. I started miscarrying whilewatching the movie in the theater. Needless to say, I avoid anything having to do with this story now.

- Picoult's Handle with Care (the book). . . I don't know why I read it. It made me very upset, too.

- I loved the book The Time Traveller's Wife, but yes, I also refuse to see the movie.

- In terms of TV shows. . .um, of course Grey's Anatomy and The Practice!
    Me(Leisl)-35, DH-36, DS#1- would be 2 years old, passed away at four months from major congenital heart and lung defects, Miscarriage @5.5 weeks-Dec '08.
    DS#2 - Nickrooz ("Good Day") - Healthy and home with us!! Born March 16, 2010!