Thread: Is this normal??? (Warning TMI)

Default Is this normal??? (Warning TMI)

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a good place for this post, but maybe someone can move it if it's not. Anyway, I recently had my IUD (Mirena) removed on 2/24/14 because we decided that it's time for another baby. Well, I got AF on Monday and everything was ok, but yesterday when I woke up, I had bled everywhere. And it's been extremely heavy ever since. I'm passing blood clots about the size of a quarter and I have to change my pad every hour to 2 hours or I'm going to bleed through. I have contacted my OB and I'm waiting for him to get back to me, but I was wondering if any of you ladies who have had an IUD removed can tell me if this is normal? I haven't had a period for 3 years really while the IUD was in, just light spotting on occasion, but this wasn't normal for me before. I'm just a little concerned. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm not sure there is a normal for this situation. My experience was the opposite. If you're bleeding through the pads in an hour or less though, you need to be seen immediately, especially if there is any pain or fever. But just that much bleeding is enough to be seen on its own.

GL and KUP!! Hope all is well.

When I got out of the shower today around 8:30, I put a new pad on and I just had to change it again (about 9:50). I'm not bleeding through yet, but if I wait another 30 minutes to an hour to change, I will. I'm not experiencing any pain, just normal period cramps.

Jumping in here from another room, but I just wanted to say my first period after I had my IUD out was horrible and clotty and clumpy and gross. It was really nasty. And while I usually wore tampons, I had to wear pads...LOTS of them. Its always good to get in touch with your doctor just in case, but wanted to let you know you weren't alone. That was after my first kid though.

MamaToe, Thanks. I do already have a little boy, and I kinda think this is just being my first period after I had mu IUD removed, but It's unusual, so it's kinda scary. It does make me feel better that I'm not alone.

I don't have any advice with IUD's but I hope it gets better!!
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4

Just an update: I heard back from my OB/GYN and he said a heavy period after IUD removal is common and I only need to be concerned if it persists. Thank you ladies for your advise and just being there. It really did keep me from panicking too much.

Also stepping in not TTC but, I had Mirena for 1 year and hated it got it removed and had very heavy menstrual bleeding. The gyn said its like a huge build up
    for about the year I didn't have a period while using the Mirena but, a helpful tip is to take Iron if you don't already because it help you feel better.
    *** Lindsay ***

Did they tell you how long this would last? I hope it's better soon! And good luck TTC!