Page 992 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 492 892 942 982990991992993994 1002 1042 1092 ... LastLast
Results 29,731 to 29,760 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Well at least I look cute today. I try to dress up a bit more for this quarterly meetings.
    At least you have that! I'm dressed a bit more than normal too. I don't really have any work appropriate summer clothes so I'm wearing an outfit I bought for an interview last summer. I don't feel like me. It's going to be 80 here today.

Sorry you had to go in so early. That would kill me!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I side-swiped Bobbie's car backing out of my driveway this morning. I'm so pissed at myself.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

When I used to work at the NIH, I had to be at work by 7:00 (for traffic reasons), which meant leaving the house by 6:15 at the latest. I'm just not a morning person, and that was really, really hard. Over the years, the commute started getting longer and longer, and I was having to leave before 6 to make it there on time. That sucked!

Sorry about Bobbie's car! Hope you didn't do too much damage.

So the kid came home yesterday with one missing earring. Yes, it's gold (22K). I have no hope of finding it 'cause the cleaning crew came yesterday to clean up the classroom. I need to find an alternate for her to wear so the hole doesn't close up.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I side-swiped Bobbie's car backing out of my driveway this morning. I'm so pissed at myself.
    Oh Chrissy! I hope it didn't do too much damage

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    So the kid came home yesterday with one missing earring. Yes, it's gold (22K). I have no hope of finding it 'cause the cleaning crew came yesterday to clean up the classroom. I need to find an alternate for her to wear so the hole doesn't close up.
    Oh that stinks!!!

I'm at my desk at 7am every day. It sucks, but I get out at 4 instead of 5 which makes a huge difference in my evenings trying to get dinner ready, etc. I get up at 5am but am actually contemplating 4:30 so I can work out in the morning. I just wish Ash would start sleeping more than 1-2hours in a row.

Bummer about side swiping the car, that stinks! Suja, sorry she lost an earring, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll find it anyway.
    AKA Lisa724

Jennifer, how warm is it by you? It is HOT here! We've been on 2 walks today already and we're sweating!

Ugh. I have this skin condition on the backs of my arms. I've self diagnosed as Keratosis pelaris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris
    It got really bad during my pregnancies and eventually it just stayed. Everywhere I go when I wear short sleeves or tanks someone says something. I mean multiple times a day if I am in public. "Oh, someone got some sun!" or "You should wear sunscreen" I am so sick of saying over and over, "No, that's just how my skin looks". I wish I could figure out how to make it go away. I have read some evidence that says steroid cream can help but I'm afraid to use chemically stuff on my skin.

I can't believe people actually makes comments to you How rude!!

Bridget http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/kera...l&METHOD=print Or http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001462.htm

I self-diagnosis too. I would personally be ok trying some hydrocortisone OTC cream....or trying lotion if you haven't already done that.

And yeah it's been pretty warm here. But today is a bit cooler because it's cloudy and rainy....high of 66. I'm kind of missing March. We have had some days in the 80 range and that is just too warm. I had to put the air on at home. I do not like being sweaty at all. My family is all south of milwaukee and looks like it's mid 70's there (my parents are only 1.5 miles from the lake so they tend to be a little cooler than just west of I94.

Chrissy that sucks about the car. I hope it wasn't too bad.

Suja I'm sorry about the lost earring. Can you get something at the store today?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I can't believe people actually makes comments to you How rude!!
    Everyone thinks it's a sunburn! So I suppose they think it's fine to say something. Dbf didn't believe me when I told him how much it happens but now he's witnessed it and he can't get over how often it happens. This weekend when we were at a parade and visiting family I bet 12 people said something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Bridget http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/kera...l&METHOD=print Or http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001462.htm

I self-diagnosis too. I would personally be ok trying some hydrocortisone OTC cream....or trying lotion if you haven't already done that.

And yeah it's been pretty warm here. But today is a bit cooler because it's cloudy and rainy....high of 66. I'm kind of missing March. We have had some days in the 80 range and that is just too warm. I had to put the air on at home. I do not like being sweaty at all. My family is all south of milwaukee and looks like it's mid 70's there (my parents are only 1.5 miles from the lake so they tend to be a little cooler than just west of I94.

Chrissy that sucks about the car. I hope it wasn't too bad.

Suja I'm sorry about the lost earring. Can you get something at the store today?
    I have tried all sorts of lotions and oils. I will look into the hydro cream.

Mandy, with regards to doing in-home visits, it sounds like you're still open to it then? It also seems like it could be an avenue where work is readily available if you're willing to do the travel because not a lot of other therapists are willing to do it. Keep us posted on your decision process. I'm interested. Besides that, how are you feeling today, mama? I woke up thinking of you this morning.

Suja, I'm so sorry you lost her earring. If it were me, I'd be shopping for a splurgy replacement just to make myself feel better for losing it.

Chrissy... I'm sorry about Bobbie's car. While cosmetic damage doesn't have to fixed right away, I hope Bobbie doesn't give you a hard time about getting it fixed immediately. I drove around for 6 years with a full-length scratch along the left side of my Volvo, fwiw.

Bridget, I occasionally get those rough bumps on the backs of my arms too, although they don't appear red because my skin is dark. I kind of forget they're there these days. Back in high school, though, I asked a dermatologist about them, and he recommended a natural loofah sponge to at least remove the dead skin cells that could worsen the condition. I hope they don't cause you too much trouble.

You guys are making me feel better that I got roped into a call at 7 am tomorrow. I kind of forget that's not as ungodly an hour to start working as it seems.

I am feeling pretty good today, despite having too much work to do. I made a point of getting Bodhi's teacher to come and sit for him last night and taking Steve out with me to a "mom's night out" sponsored by the club for a Pub Quiz at this local margarita bar. We used to go to a regular pub quiz together on a weekly basis down in L.A. We were part of a team called "The Revolving Doors" and were pretty good. I remember early dating days, taking Steve with me to first introduce him to the team, and he came in with a couple of clutch answers and we won that night. He got "in" with the team and kind of stuck around ever since. Last night's quiz was in the same format as the old one we used to go to, so it brought back a lot of good memories. Steve got on really well with people, in fact our team was called "Steve & the Ladies". He & I shared a margarita and our team came in 3rd out of 9. Not bad for a newly formed team.

Speaking of my old quiz team, the discussion about iPads yesterday reminded me of this blog entry made by my former Revolving Door teammate. She was the wife of a coworker and they've since moved far away to Melbourne, but I still keep in touch and follow her blog. She takes wonderful photos of her kids (her new book comes out this week, I think), and I really appreciated this entry that she wrote about teaching her 7 year old daughter persistence by having her save $200 to buy her own iPod touch. I thought you guys might like to take a look at it: http://www.racheldevine.com/blog/201...for-something/

Happy Thursday, mamas!
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Jennifer, how warm is it by you? It is HOT here! We've been on 2 walks today already and we're sweating!

Ugh. I have this skin condition on the backs of my arms. I've self diagnosed as Keratosis pelaris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris
    It got really bad during my pregnancies and eventually it just stayed. Everywhere I go when I wear short sleeves or tanks someone says something. I mean multiple times a day if I am in public. "Oh, someone got some sun!" or "You should wear sunscreen" I am so sick of saying over and over, "No, that's just how my skin looks". I wish I could figure out how to make it go away. I have read some evidence that says steroid cream can help but I'm afraid to use chemically stuff on my skin.
    I have it too, it's so annoying. Someone recommended Amlactin cream/lotion for me and it does seem to help. I just suck at remembering to use it regularly. It's a little pricey too.
    AKA Lisa724

Everyone thinks it's a sunburn! So I suppose they think it's fine to say something. Dbf didn't believe me when I told him how much it happens but now he's witnessed it and he can't get over how often it happens. This weekend when we were at a parade and visiting family I bet 12 people said something.
    I just can't imagine paying close enough attention to a stranger to even notice, more or less actually make comments about it! I'l never over the nerve of some people. Plus I don't think it looks like sunburn at all. The pic on Wiki reminds me of a heat rash but more raised/inflamed.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I had it on my thighs for a couple of years after pregnancy and Amlactin made it go away completely. It took a long time though. I heard any scrubbing made it worse. And yes, people really feel free to say whatever they want about other people's appearances or behaviors or characteristics.

Man it is hard to type and walk at the same time.

I start work at 6 AM most days. I usually get to work by 5:30.

Suja, here is earring-finding hope for you from me.

Did you/would you use amlactin while nursing? It says not to use while pregnant. Yes, I've been told to exfoliate and that does make it worse. The only thing that hides it is getting an actual sunburn so I'm red all over. lol
    Speaking of sunburn, I don't generally put sunscreen on my kids when we are outside. The yard is shady, and sandy. Sand and sunscreen are a horrible combo. If we are at the beach or pool between 10-2 then I will use it. The stuff I'm willing to use is so expensive so I've made my own in the past but the past few days I have been using coconut oil for our walks and it seems to be working! Weird huh? I read somewhere that it has a natural spf so I thought I'd give it a try. May mix it with zinc oxide to up the spf.
    Just a little useless or useful info for y'all depending on your views regarding all natural remedies
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-22-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Did you/would you use amlactin while nursing? It says not to use while pregnant. Yes, I've been told to exfoliate and that does make it worse. The only thing that hides it is getting an actual sunburn so I'm red all over. lol
    Speaking of sunburn, I don't generally put sunscreen on my kids when we are outside. The yard is shady, and sandy. Sand and sunscreen are a horrible combo. If we are at the beach or pool between 10-2 then I will use it. The stuff I'm willing to use is so expensive so I've made my own in the past but the past few days I have been using coconut oil for our walks and it seems to be working! Weird huh? I read somewhere that it has a natural spf so I thought I'd give it a try. May mix it with zinc oxide to up the spf.
    Just a little useless or useful info for y'all depending on your views regarding all natural remedies
    I'm glad you mentioned it. It's already getting blistering hot here and I've been trying to find something more 'natural' for Nolan. I'll have to pick some up I do not know what zinc oxide is though

I wasn't sure either until I googled a sunscreen recipe and it called for it. I ordered it online and it's a powder. You know how in the old movies, the lifeguards have blue noses? I think that's zinc oxide.

hmmm, I'm going to have to try that for sunscreen! Both my kids and myself have very fair skin and we burn very easily, so I'm a little obsessive about sunscreen. I always look at the ratings though. I really like badger.

FWIW, I would and have used Amlactin while nursing.
    AKA Lisa724

I always thought applying oil helped one tan/burn faster? And if that would screen out both UVA and UVB? I grew up with a pool and we went through a lot of sunscreen since worst hours at 10-4 and we were usually in the pool after lunch.

Now I don't really use sunscreen but I also don't really spend a lot of time outside unless on vacation. Thinking that might change once we have a kid.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't know for sure, Jennifer. Haven't studies shown there has been no decrease in skin cancer since people started using sunscreen more regularly? I only heard that and didn't actually see the study so I have no idea how credible it is. We used my homemade stuff all summer, that I made with coconut oil (I thought the oil part was strange too) and my kids could play at the beach all afternoon and have no tan lines. I was a little shocked myself.

I've always wondered if I can just slather Bodhi's butt rash cream on as sunscreen, since it's largely zinc oxide too.

Here is an afternoon yuk for my secular lady friends:

I don't know for sure, Jennifer. Haven't studies shown there has been no decrease in skin cancer since people started using sunscreen more regularly? I only heard that and didn't actually see the study so I have no idea how credible it is. We used my homemade stuff all summer, that I made with coconut oil (I thought the oil part was strange too) and my kids could play at the beach all afternoon and have no tan lines. I was a little shocked myself.
    Can't say I looked it up but I do think that I heard or read that most influential time in determining skin cancer risk is the amount of exposure as a kid/teen. Especially why they don't want teens in tanning booths. And at least for me, I don't remember using sunscreen when I was little. It wasn't until I was older in grade school that we started using it more. And I know we didn't use it as often as supposed to in the water.....I have a feeling that a lot of people don't use enough or apply often enough. So maybe enough time hasn't passed to know if better use has made a difference. Does that make sense?

Maybe the oil was just a way to apply the sunscreen more evenly and it was something else in it that did the trick last summer? Like the zinc?

I did read today that getting too much sun...enough to burn or tan lowers the immune system. Didn't know that!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Myles....I needed that smile!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It sort of makes sense to me about too much exposure affecting immunity. I understand the skin is the body's largest organ, and if it's overtaxed, I can see it taking away energy that would go toward other bodily processes.

To add to the "Medicine or Myth?" discussion we're having today, I heard somewhere that a severe burn (one that's graded by degree, like a 3rd degree burn, etc) all over one's body can use up 10,000 calories a day to repair. I don't know if that's true, but it sure is one way to get out of going to the gym.

Myles, I'd rather be a blimp than have a third degree burn of any size. It's SO hard to heal from them, incredibly painful, and of course, all the scarring (and the surgery to cover up the scarring).

Those of you that use more natural sunscreens - are they tear free? Whatever I used with DD got into her eyes, and OMG, painful!!!

I have never found a tear free sunscreen. As a general rule I do not put sunscreen on kids faces. Hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Myles, I'd rather be a blimp than have a third degree burn of any size. It's SO hard to heal from them, incredibly painful, and of course, all the scarring (and the surgery to cover up the scarring).
    Oh, I would too. Don't get me wrong. I'm not much of a wait-around-for-things-to-happen to me type o' gal, so if I really wanted to go on a 3rd degree burn crash diet, I'm pretty sure I would have walked into a kiln by now or something like that.

Shea butter has a natural spf factor as well according to my African friends. But of course I buy it from them so they may be lying LOL! But I have read other places that this is true and that coconut oil also has an spf factor. Since I don't burn I usually only wear coconut oil or shea butter in the sun but only when we go to the beach or outdoor swimming pool. I usually don't worry about the sun as darker skin itself has a higher SPF factor than lighter skin.

Bridget, I have that skin condition too, on the underside of my forearms. I guess I should probably get it looked at but I'm so splotchy everywhere that I just resigned myself as a 20 year old that I would not have beautiful, smooth skin. I'm alright with that in regards to the way it looks and never really thought of the rash sort of thing on my forearms until just now. I had a rash on my leg kind of like that when I was around Elle's age and my mom put all kinds of crap on it and it is smooth now but you can still see where it was. Anytime I have a rash or scratch or scar it leaves a mark on me, which is why I just don't give a crap about how my skin looks most of the time. As long as it is clean and moisturized, I think it is fine.

On the kid front, Elle has discovered Barbie dolls. One of my co-workers gave her a McDonald toy Barbie that my co-worker had gotten for lunch one day. She usually eats only kids meals if she goes out for fast food and they gave her a small Barbie. I gave it to Elle and she has just been enamored with it. She literally brushed the hair of the thing for 2 hours straight. I was pretty shocked about it. She also found an older Barbie my mom gave her last year from the 70s. I just came from checking on her progress in cleaning her room and she had even fully dressed the doll. I didn't start playing with Barbies until I was like 10 years old, but I was a tom boy I guess so maybe that's why I didn't start sooner. It is surprising to me though how she can dress them and do their hair already.

I also went to Ky's school for a parent/teacher conference and I love that they love my sweet boy so much at his school. They really know him and told me how much he has been growing this school year. We have been working on being more responsible about his own work and spaces as in he has to make his own schedule, do his work, keep his bag/spaces organized, etc. and he has been doing wonderfully recently at this and even doing things without me having to tell him to do them. I'm happy he is being the same way at school. They also said he is very open in class and they can always count on him to keep everyone engaged in great discussions during social studies and science, which are his favorite subjects.

Erin

**Lizzo**