Page 991 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 491891941981989990991992993100110411091 ... LastLast
Results 29,701 to 29,730 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mandy, you could probably start very small and work your way up. If you just see one private client every once in a while, you wouldn't have to do the whole shebang.

I carry liability insurance on my own, even though I'm covered by my hospital. It just seems like a good idea. I've always done it. I've provided first aid at private events, I stop at car accidents, I help kids on playgrounds, strangers show me their rashes or tell me about their bowel movements. It's around $100/year. I also have business cards, just randomly, that do not have any professional designation on them, just contact information. I got them for cheap along with a Christmas card order from VistaPrint one year. I carry a few around in my wallet and they are helpful when I hit it off with another mom at a playground (they are actually marketing "Mom" cards now) and we promise to stay in touch and have a playdate sometime, or like when we were at the rocket launch and someone promised to send me the pictures he was taking of the scene, or when my mailman asked if he should call before he came over when I helped him with getting his health insurance set up. I got a few boxes (hundreds!) for around $5, I think. Those two things are very easy to get.

The only things I think would be more complicated at this point would be a business license (I would check with your friends who do it--what do you actually need for private sessions?), some way to bill insurance, and a way to get clients. You already had one that was interested. You have contacts. If you don't need to sustain an entire job or income on this, I wouldn't worry about doing full-blown marketing with ads or custom pens or anything. I would just let word of mouth start letting people trickle in. Let your local contacts in the field know that you are accepting clients for private sessions.

I would be wary of accepting clients that came to you via Craigslist, too, just for security's sake. You never know if it's a real client, you know?

Your DH is most likely worried that this is just some wild idea that has come to you and is giving you a lot of things to think about, but if you are just seeing an occasional private client and not doing this full-time, I don't think it has to be as intimidating as he is making it sound, and it doesn't have to be the make-it or break-it scenario. If you only see one client a week for a while, you will still be establishing a routine, and bringing in a little bit of extra cash to help alleviate some of the pretty minimal outlay, and you will hopefully get more later on. Remember, all of these expenses will be tax deductions, too.

L is always very smart, but in this she makes a whole lot of sense. I agree with her Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    When they are older. Not yet. I'm old school. Minimal technology.
    I know I know!!! I have a weakness for technology and have inflicted it on my kids. For better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    LOL. My DH "needs" lots of things, too. I will give him credit that he "wants" an iPad. I do have one but he doesn't use it often because he's afraid that if he does, he will "need" one.

We use Craigslist a lot, too, for things for the house and all that. I'm honestly curious how people would perceive a therapy service advertised on Craigslist, though. Wonder if I should start a poll in Random?
    I have never thought to look for a professional through Craigslist. I'd be concerned, like L said, that someone might be just posing as a provider. I wouldn't go to their house at all. They'd at least have to have a brick and mortar office in a business district somewhere. I read too much about the Craigslist Killer. :/

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Yeah, insurance is the big one that I am scared of. I know that some private clinicians do not accept insurance. While that would limit your options, billing insurance is a big deal and something I would certainly need assistance with, at least at first.

Thanks for letting me know you don't think it's as crazy as DH does, though. I'm honestly not certain about a business license. I have a psychologist friend who has her own part-time practice as well as a part-time job where I work, and I know she said she has one. But I don't know if a small handful of clients would require that. Something else I really need to look into.

The inital start-up costs would definitely be the liability insurance (I have read it's about $100/year for my field, too) and business cards, which as you said are cheap. I really don't want this to be a huge thing at the moment - just a way to earn some extra cash while I'm putting so much out for the doctor, so the lower key it is the better.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy, I'm with L - you can just have one or two clients, especially since you aren't wanting to have it be your only source of income right now.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Erin - did you get your eye checked out yet? I hope you do. Don't want to mess with eyes.

I'm tired. Had a little tiff with dh tonight and it made me feel out of sorts. We don't fight ever, so it messes with me a lot.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I have never thought to look for a professional through Craigslist. I'd be concerned, like L said, that someone might be just posing as a provider. I wouldn't go to their house at all. They'd at least have to have a brick and mortar office in a business district somewhere. I read too much about the Craigslist Killer. :/
    Yes, and vice versa if I worked out of the clients' home. Either way - scary.

Katy. It is exhausting. For us it's getting to be more and more frequent. I hate it and it just wears me out.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Erin - did you get your eye checked out yet? I hope you do. Don't want to mess with eyes.

I'm tired. Had a little tiff with dh tonight and it made me feel out of sorts. We don't fight ever, so it messes with me a lot.
    I'm sorry you had a fight.

Erin, how are your eyes?

Thanks, Chrissy.

Sorry you had a fight with your DH Katy

The latest cooking job I had (before the cafeterias) was one DH found on craigslist. The interviews were held in a giant building at Gillette Stadium (where the Pats play) so I felt safe going there and finding out if it was legit. It was, obviously. The chef was new to the area and since then he has become a pretty well known chef here. I still kind of kick myself for not staying with him.

The bus ride was okay this morning. I talked to Red and he was pretty quiet. I talked to C and he seemed cool with trying to leave Red alone.

The kids aren't allowed to bring much on the bus and Red always complains he's bored. That's the biggest problem I think. The kid gets restless. He starts asking the driver if he can use his phone (lol), wants to rifle through the bus paperwork, asks me if I brought my ipod (which I don't)...he's just bored. He doesn't like to draw or read or play little pencil and paper games. I wonder if I can ask the driver if i can bring a small game for him or something (travel checkers or something)

OK you ladies were busy but I *think* I’m all caught up!

L what a cute cute story!!!

That makes me sad that Red is being picked on. Those boys are old enough to know better

Ash I can’t believe the TA did that, but it sadly it doesn’t surprise me. Most people have problems taking responsibility for their own actions. I am really sorry about the rejection letter

I’m glad your Thyroid levels were good that is fantastic Clomid can make you pretty grouchy. I was a royal b**** when I was on it

Chrissy that must be frustrating. It would probably be best if you did say something that way one of the supervisors could talk to him about it. Maybe make him feel more relaxed and understand that he’s doing a great job and doesn’t have to try so hard. Some people need that validation.

Katy sorry about the fight with DH

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Poor DH is SO stressed out He's been working long hours at his job (on the billboards) and on the days he does he get off early he goes and works at a friends garage to make some extra money. He's also working at the garage on the weekend and he is just beat. I tried to tell him to let up a little bit, but we've been having alot of random extra expenses lately (dryer broke, new radiator, gas prices going up) nothing major. Nothing we can't handle either, but it's cutting into what we are putting towards savings.... For some reason that is bothering him I think it's all the baby making talk we've been having since Nolan turned a year. He's always been a really hard worker, but this is ridiculous.

He knows how much I want to stay home if we have another (I got pretty severely depressed when I returned to work after Nolan was born) and I told him that it wasn't feasible unless we could pay our rent out of savings. Technically we could do it on his income, but his type of work is kind of up and down from week to week. So it's hard to know *exactly* what we'll be bringing in.

I think I'm going to make him take the weekend off. It was a struggle to get him to not work last Sunday so we could go to the Renaissance Festival, so I don't know if I'll be successful.

My eyes feel MUCH better today, no pain at all. I honestly do think it was computer strain as I have been typing a bunch of documents for my boss lately, she is on a roll with having me create a "bedbug management plan" and a "bedbug policy" and various "bedbug letters." Everyone at my job is kind of obsessed with bedbugs.

I made an appointment for next Monday as that was the earliest I could get in with my eye doc so I am hoping that it is okay. But the pain is not something that was only for one day, it has been happening for a while now but was just severe over the past couple days and I have been putting off going to the eye doc waiting for May so I could get new contacts instead and get a comprehensive exam on the same appointment.

Chrissy, your co-worker seems kind of loony. Hopefully he is just one of those uber competitive guys. My DH is that way. He wants us to work out together but I don't want to work out with him because he is WAY too competitive and will try to get me to be competitive too and really I'm not like that anymore. I used to be when I was younger about academic things, because learning and memorizing both useful and useless information is probably my biggest talent, if one can call that a talent, but I stopped being like that with other people probably 10 years ago. I am still competitive with myself with some things though, doing chores especially, which I wrote about in a thread in Random. I am loony when it comes to beating my floor mopping speed of 30 minutes 49 seconds LOL. I am trying to get to 28 minutes. I also can get neurotic with fitness things, which is why I am planning my new birthday goal in this regard so as not to go crazy competitive with myself about eating certain foods and exercising. Hopefully your co-worker is loony like me and not trying to undermine you with his excessive work.

Mandy I also encourage you to start the steps necessary in order to make yourself a business. Even if it is just getting your insurance in place right now. The price for a business license varies by state but like you know there are many small fees that can add up. Sounds like an exciting prospect though for the future. Maybe even if after you have your LO you would like to work only with private clients, that may be something to look forward to. I think it would be great to start looking into the fees right now and see what the minimum requirements you need in order to set yourself up as a business. Maybe take a class if you ever get a free moment at the SBA in your area. The local SBA in our metro is actually in my building's complex and DH has taken classes there as well as my aunt, who is trying to start an in-home adult daycare in her house. Their classes/advice is free and they usually have a county resource or locality resource that can give you info as well on how to start getting set up as a business.

Ash, so sorry about the back stabbing TA. I hope she will be more civil over the course of the next few days and hugs to you about teaching school.

Erin

Christina. I remember those days very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Mandy I also encourage you to start the steps necessary in order to make yourself a business. Even if it is just getting your insurance in place right now. The price for a business license varies by state but like you know there are many small fees that can add up. Sounds like an exciting prospect though for the future. Maybe even if after you have your LO you would like to work only with private clients, that may be something to look forward to. I think it would be great to start looking into the fees right now and see what the minimum requirements you need in order to set yourself up as a business. Maybe take a class if you ever get a free moment at the SBA in your area. The local SBA in our metro is actually in my building's complex and DH has taken classes there as well as my aunt, who is trying to start an in-home adult daycare in her house. Their classes/advice is free and they usually have a county resource or locality resource that can give you info as well on how to start getting set up as a business.
    That's really excellent advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Christina. I remember those days very well.
    Thanks.

On top of it *I* would like to spend some time with my hubby. I miss him.... And well... Maybe I want some booty

Went to the RE this morning and had my IUI done! Doctor was very pleased. DH's sample was good (68 million - not quite as great as last time with 90 million, but anything over 5 million is good). He did comment that I have a very narrow cervix that is actually narrower than the catheter. I wonder if that is why I seem to have more cramping than other women experience? Regardless, I did cramp but it's calming down now and I'm feeling better. He said it was a very smooth process even given my narrow cervix.

DH is funny - he is collecting "omens" of things we have seen. Last time we went in for the IUI we saw a coyote in the road near the clinic, in the middle of the city in broad daylight. There are lots of coyotes around here, but we don't often see them in the city center where we live. So we had lots of comments and in-jokes about coyotes.

This time DH has two "omens." This weekend he was making eggs and one had a double yolk. DH said he had never had that happen to him before. Since he really wants twins, he decided that was reason to get excited. Today as we were leaving the clinic, just as we stepped out the door we both heard a hawk cry out and DH saw it fly away. So he has added the hawk to the coyote and the double egg. Make of that what you will. Neither of us are superstitious, but it's something to talk about and keep us entertained while we wait. Hopefully you don't all think we're both being ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Thanks.

On top of it *I* would like to spend some time with my hubby. I miss him.... And well... Maybe I want some booty
    I'm sure you have your reasons.

I think the omens are cute and fun! Plus twins would be so sweet

I'm sure you have your reasons.
    I've been avoiding him because of the dark/light/dark/light OPKs I've been getting. I'm growing inpatient though.

Neither of us are superstitious, but it's something to talk about and keep us entertained while we wait. Hopefully you don't all think we're both being ridiculous.
    We used to do stuff like that too Mandy. It is fun. Dare I hope that the double yoke does indicate twins in your near (9-month) future?

I love that your Dh points out the little "signs". I think it shows how much he's thinking about it. Super cute.

I had 8 kids this morning. I never fill to the max by choice because it's way too hard. But a former parent called to see if she could drop off her two boys for the morning and of course I wouldn't say no. Oy, I'm tired! What a wide range I had. Sawyer and another the same age as him. A 2 year old, 3 year old, 5 year old, 8 year old, and Savana and Kai. Thank goodness I had a huge lasagna in the fridge because I also didn't know I was going to have the whole crew for lunch until this morning. Now I just have to figure out what to feed my family for dinner!

It's going to be really hard for Savana to go back to school. She is on spring break right now and keeps talking about how much she loves being home all day

Mandy, your DH is too cute! I've been thinking about where you'd hold your sessions, some place that would be safe but not too expensive. I initially thought about something like a public park - it's free. But, you're in Arizona, so that probably means you can do it like 2 weeks out of the year or something. Other options - if you have a friend with a business, their office or conference room would be a good option. I know that if you lived around here, you could totally do that. Also, I know that shrinks share office space - so maybe a practice like that would be something you can look into. Also, it might be good to partner with pedis or developmental pedis or something, so that you could avail yourself of their facilities, but also get referrals for those that do not qualify through state and such.

Thanks for the commiserations, guys. I like to think that things happen for a reason, and I'll find a job before the new school year (doing who knows what, but still!), so I'm not too down about it, really.

Katy, how are you feeling now? Have you and your DH spoken about your disagreement? (Hugs)

Mandy, I posted in your other thread, but I'll send even more baby dust your way here, too. I think it's really cool about the omens.

Bridget, I'm sure S will be fine when school starts back. Travis always has a little moan when they have a break (they do 6 weeks on and then one week off through the whole year except 2 weeks at Easter and Christmas and 6 weeks in the summer). But he always goes in to school happily when we get there. It sounds like you had a fun-packed day with all those kids...I bet having your own 3 after the other 5 go home seems so easy!

My SIL just gave me 3 dresses; one is a Ted Baker that she only wore once! I love when she clears out her closet because I score some really good stuff! When I first moved over here, she was a lot bigger than me, but after having 3 kids, she's shrunk. I was just telling DH that she seems to have gone in reverse of a lot of women who seem to get bigger after they have kids. We're both the same size now, except that I am 5 inches taller than she is!

My eyes feel MUCH better today, no pain at all. I honestly do think it was computer strain as I have been typing a bunch of documents for my boss lately, she is on a roll with having me create a "bedbug management plan" and a "bedbug policy" and various "bedbug letters." Everyone at my job is kind of obsessed with bedbugs.

I made an appointment for next Monday as that was the earliest I could get in with my eye doc so I am hoping that it is okay. But the pain is not something that was only for one day, it has been happening for a while now but was just severe over the past couple days and I have been putting off going to the eye doc waiting for May so I could get new contacts instead and get a comprehensive exam on the same appointment.

Chrissy, your co-worker seems kind of loony. Hopefully he is just one of those uber competitive guys. My DH is that way. He wants us to work out together but I don't want to work out with him because he is WAY too competitive and will try to get me to be competitive too and really I'm not like that anymore. I used to be when I was younger about academic things, because learning and memorizing both useful and useless information is probably my biggest talent, if one can call that a talent, but I stopped being like that with other people probably 10 years ago. I am still competitive with myself with some things though, doing chores especially, which I wrote about in a thread in Random. I am loony when it comes to beating my floor mopping speed of 30 minutes 49 seconds LOL. I am trying to get to 28 minutes. I also can get neurotic with fitness things, which is why I am planning my new birthday goal in this regard so as not to go crazy competitive with myself about eating certain foods and exercising. Hopefully your co-worker is loony like me and not trying to undermine you with his excessive work.

Ash, so sorry about the back stabbing TA. I hope she will be more civil over the course of the next few days and hugs to you about teaching school.

Erin
    Ah, I'm so sad that I can't find my "ITA w/ Erin" smiley, because she hit every single point I wanted to make for me.

Mandy, I can't tell you how many new moms are overwhelmed with the wish that they could find a means to work for themselves and thus spend more time with their little ones. In starting the process now like Erin suggests, you would be leaving open that door for yourself, and it's a very precious option to have. Not to discount the difficulties of getting a new business off the ground, but you would be able to deduct a significant number of expenses for your business on your tax return. That is another thing to keep in mind.

But more importantly, I hope your Wednesday is relaxing and you've received my baby dust as well.

Erin, I'm glad your eyes are better!

Sorry that I have to run off and pick up B now.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Mandy, your DH is too cute! I've been thinking about where you'd hold your sessions, some place that would be safe but not too expensive. I initially thought about something like a public park - it's free. But, you're in Arizona, so that probably means you can do it like 2 weeks out of the year or something. Other options - if you have a friend with a business, their office or conference room would be a good option. I know that if you lived around here, you could totally do that. Also, I know that shrinks share office space - so maybe a practice like that would be something you can look into. Also, it might be good to partner with pedis or developmental pedis or something, so that you could avail yourself of their facilities, but also get referrals for those that do not qualify through state and such.
    Really, I should hire you. Here, set up my practice for me.

You're right about a park, though. The first school I worked at was in an old building, built around 1900, and there wasn't much space for all the special ed staff (I shared an office with two other people). I tried taking some of my students out to the playground for therapy at one point, and they actually whined and asked if we could go inside!

Would you consider traveling to the homes of the children to work with them Mandy? I'm not sure of all that is involved but I know that a child at Elle's daycare receives services from a speech therapist, not sure if they are an SLP and they come to the daycare to provide services. I'm pretty sure that it is through EI with the state so maybe they do it differently or something, but that could always be an idea.

Erin

Would you consider traveling to the homes of the children to work with them Mandy? I'm not sure of all that is involved but I know that a child at Elle's daycare receives services from a speech therapist, not sure if they are an SLP and they come to the daycare to provide services. I'm pretty sure that it is through EI with the state so maybe they do it differently or something, but that could always be an idea.

Erin
    There are a bunch of federal and state laws that regulate Early Intervention and Pre-K services that also fall under the same federal law. For EI it specifies that services be delivered in the child's "natural environment" which in my state means they should be delivered in the child's home and other states also include the child's daycare. The feeling is best for the services to be at home for the tiny ones, because with those kids you are working as much with the parents and teaching them how to develop the child's language best while you are not there. For preschool services are more focused on the child, and the law calls for least restrictive environment, which can mean services at a preschool, having the child brought to school just for speech, or might mean a special ed preschool setting. Whatever suits the child's needs but allows them to spend the most time in the setting they typically would spend it, anyway.

So most therapists who work through DD work in the child's home and travel. Which is a very cheap way to get going, but also has its drawbacks (such as safety concerns of going into someone else's home, but also the time you are traveling is time you could be working on paperwork or seeing other clients if you were in a clinic). So most therapists who have been at it for a while and don't do most of their work through EI try to find their own space. I would be willing to go in a client's home if I trusted the family.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-21-2012 at 06:44 PM.

OMG. I had to be at work at 6:45 this morning. I normally get in about 8:30. I feel like it should be time for lunch and it's not even 9:30 yet. I have already had one diet mt dew and I'm almost done with a medium mocha from the coffee shop that is down the hall from me. And even though I started almost 2 hours early, doesn't mean I get to leave 2 hours early as I'm salaried. Didn't have time this morning to make my lunch and DH wasn't home yet from work (he always makes my lunch and we usually see each for about 45 minutes after he gets home and before I leave). So it's cafeteria food for me today. Hospital cafeteria food.
    Well at least I look cute today. I try to dress up a bit more for this quarterly meetings.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That bites!!! That is waaayyy too eary

Huh, reading this today makes me feel a bit better....it was in regards to Carnie Wilson's second bariatric surgery.

The two procedures are very different, she noted. Gastric bypass works by reducing the size of the stomach, but also by bypassing part of the small intestine. It’s primarily a metabolic treatment, meaning it works by affecting the way the intestine signals the brain regarding hunger and fullness.
    That metabolic effect may not be as strong in some people, or it can be affected by hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy and childbirth, Blackstone said.

I had the same procedure she did in 2004. I was told that people don't feel hunger for 9-12 months usually. Certainly the people I knew IRL who went around the time I did experienced that. I didn't feel hunger for THREE weeks. The only difference was after surgery I knew what full felt like.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36