Page 982 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 482882932972980981982983984992103210821482 ... LastLast
Results 29,431 to 29,460 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Ha !!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I know in an Oliver Sachs book I was reading, he talked about how children who grow up speaking/hearing tonal languages as their first language are more likely to have perfect pitch. He wrote a whole book about music and it was really fascinating. Sadly, I only got about halfway through, but he is a very interesting writer. He is the same author who wrote The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. I can't remember exactly why I put it down, but it was the same time I was reading a couple of other books that I also stopped reading halfway through (very unlike me). There must have been some event in my life, or maybe that was when I got my Kindle and I just kept trying to read my paperbacks in bits and pieces but couldn't finish them.

Ah, here is the review from Amazon:

With the same trademark compassion and erudition he brought to The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, Oliver Sacks explores the place music occupies in the brain and how it affects the human condition. In Musicophilia, he shows us a variety of what he calls “musical misalignments.” Among them: a man struck by lightning who suddenly desires to become a pianist at the age of forty-two; an entire group of children with Williams syndrome, who are hypermusical from birth; people with “amusia,” to whom a symphony sounds like the clattering of pots and pans; and a man whose memory spans only seven seconds-for everything but music. Illuminating, inspiring, and utterly unforgettable, Musicophilia is Oliver Sacks' latest masterpiece.
    Williams Syndrome, btw, is not about being able to sing well in infancy--it is a genetic disorder characterized by developmental delay, excessive friendliness, and fascination with music.

I have a terrible time with finding shoes for my feet too, enough that I've talked about it many times before and the last specialized shop I went to warned me to never attempt to buy shoes online again, even from brands I know and even with free shipping. I have recently started adding shoes/feet to the list of things I'm getting depressed about.

Mandy, if you want to use my baby S. video, just let me know. I will give you the embedding code.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 03-14-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: clarity

I've had several people tell me to read that Oliver Sachs book. I believe my brother's gf bought a copy for my mother a couple of years ago. I know I'd enjoy it.

When I was in grad school I did an evaluation for a student that my professor suspected had Williams Syndrome. I don't believe he was ever diagnosed with it, but don't know for sure. My professor was really into obscure syndromes. Kids with Williams Syndrome are also generally hyperlexic. This child was 9 and was reading college level astronomy books aloud to us. I actually do not know whether this child was musically precocious.

I also worked with a student for several years who was a musical savant. He also had autism but he was the first savant I ever knew (so far I've counted 3). He was also hyperlexic. There is an interesting connection there between the hyperlexia and hypermusia (is that a word?) I actually had a major breakthrough just before I stopped working with him that the best way to work on his spoken language was by singing back and forth with him, conversationally. Which is extremely ironic because that was a plot line I had been kicking around in my head for a year or two before even meeting this child that I intend to incorporate in my as-yet-incomplete story. I know I was intended to work with that kid. I feel pretty close to him, even though he was one of the most difficult clients I've ever dealt with.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-14-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh my, the party never stops! I called the cops again because the live bands started up again about an hour ago. The little bearded hipsters are streaming up and down my street, climbing into their conversion vans and getting high and texting people, then climbing out again slamming car doors to go back to the party. It is funny but annoying. And why are they getting high in their vans? I guess they don't want to share. That's sad. Just can't sleep with all this going on.

I liked all the Oliver Sachs books I read, but his latest ones haven't caught my interest for some reason. Really enjoyed the hat one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Sounds like you're having a rough night, Katy. Hope the hipsters find somewhere else to go soon.

Hipsters, Katy... loud ones. Oy! I guess they're not all supposed to be lethargic and pouty after all. Hope you and family get some sleep tonite.

Has anyone else read/heard of the link between being able to carry a tune and mimic accents? I want to say it was the subject of a study while I was at uni, but that was so long ago I can't be sure. Think I'll try to look it up before bed.

"Dear Google..."

I haven't heard of that study, but the connection doesn't surprise me. There are shared features there.

For some reason, my brain just insisted on singing "Dear Google" to the tune of "Dear Prudence." Must stop reading Beatles biographies before bed.

I have absolutely zero musical ability. I'm tone deaf. I really hope my kids end up with some level of ability, but I'm not very optomistic about it. Anyone know how much of musical talent is heriditary?

Sorry to hear about everyones feet/shoe issues. It must be so frustrating to have pain/discomfort in a body part that we rely on so much. I really need some new shoes, but luckily can usually just buy from a regular store. I've had the two pairs I wear regularly (a brown and black pair) for like 5 years. They are completely worn out. They were pretty tight after I had DS, but now since I've lost weight, they are too big. Even my sneakers are too big now. Ugh, I wish money grew on trees!!
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    That reminded me of this best of craiglist post. Long, and hilarious.
    Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I have absolutely zero musical ability. I'm tone deaf. I really hope my kids end up with some level of ability, but I'm not very optomistic about it. Anyone know how much of musical talent is heriditary?
    I think it can be, but doesn't have to be. Both my father and his brother play bass and guitar, and their younger brother played drums when he was alive. But none of their parents did. And thus far, none of their kids have either. I do love to dance and can hear individual instruments in a song and differentiate between them easily. Maybe if I had actually taken lessons it would have been easy for me but I always wanted to be on the dance floor, not strapped to the stage. I liked watching my dad play though. I was just thinking it would be nice if he'd do a gig with his brother again. It's been 2-3 years since I've seen them play together.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I was just thinking about it and on my moms side, out of 5 aunts, 1 uncle and 17 first cousins, only one cousin plays a little bit of guitar. We all have some level of athletic ability, many whom are very talented sports-wise, but the musical ability of that side of the family is almost zero! Perhaps it's just bad luck, or maybe bad genes, LOL.
    AKA Lisa724

Argh!!
    We've been planning a trip up north to see my extended family (and my brother and his family) for months now. I've asked dbf over and over and over if he's sure we can go this weekend. My grandparents used to put on this big St Patrick's day parade and dinner for the whole town and now my aunts and uncles carry on the tradition and all my cousins and families go. So we are supposed to leave tomorrow, I took off work and everything. Yesterday dbf comes outside and says, "What are we going to do if Sawyer cries in the car?" I told him that I figured if we left at just the right time that Sawyer would likely sleep at least 1/2 the trip (4-5 hour drive) and that I would drive during that time. If he got crazy fussy then he would have to drive. He takes this opportunity to tell me that he thinks driving will be "too uncomfortable" for him. I ask why he should have a problem driving with the other arm and he tells me because he's used to driving with the other one.
    So. Wtf? I ask him what he proposes and since he doesn't give me an answer I say that if he's already planning to be miserable that it might be best for him to stay home because he'll make the trip hard on everyone if he has a bad attitude. So he tells me he'll think about it. Yes, I still had a fleeting hope that he'd step up and tell me that he'd keep a good attitude and come with us. I woke up last night and he was still up so I told him that the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that making the trip by myself with all three kids, multiple activities going on, multiple places we are staying...might be too hard. The look on his face was as if I'd just told him that he had to sit through a 6 hour opera.
    I cried myself to sleep because I don't know what to do. I don't feel right cancelling. Everyone is beyond excited that we are coming since we never make it up there. Not to mention I have already told my kids they are going to see their cousins. Mudder Fupper. (There's that potty mouth I mentioned)

Ugh. I'm sorry he's such a douche. If it were me, I'd probably resign myself to a stressful drive and go anyway. I wouldn't want to spend the weekend around him resenting him every minute. I'd imagine that your family would be a big help with the kids once you got there, right? Maybe you can try to streamline the activities and accomodations so that it is a little easier for you without missing out on too much? And then make sure to talk incessantly about how awesome it was when you get back.
    AKA Lisa724

Ugh. I'm sorry he's such a douche. If it were me, I'd probably resign myself to a stressful drive and go anyway. I wouldn't want to spend the weekend around him resenting him every minute. I'd imagine that your family would be a big help with the kids once you got there, right? Maybe you can try to streamline the activities and accomodations so that it is a little easier for you without missing out on too much? And then make sure to talk incessantly about how awesome it was when you get back.
    I agree Bridget. I'm sorry your dbf is acting like this.

Yeah, you are right. I'm going. I have texted my brother to see if he'll join me but he doesn't know if he can get off work tomorrow.
    The thing is that now if dbf decides to go he's going to walk around like a martyr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Argh!!
    We've been planning a trip up north to see my extended family (and my brother and his family) for months now. I've asked dbf over and over and over if he's sure we can go this weekend. My grandparents used to put on this big St Patrick's day parade and dinner for the whole town and now my aunts and uncles carry on the tradition and all my cousins and families go. So we are supposed to leave tomorrow, I took off work and everything. Yesterday dbf comes outside and says, "What are we going to do if Sawyer cries in the car?" I told him that I figured if we left at just the right time that Sawyer would likely sleep at least 1/2 the trip (4-5 hour drive) and that I would drive during that time. If he got crazy fussy then he would have to drive. He takes this opportunity to tell me that he thinks driving will be "too uncomfortable" for him. I ask why he should have a problem driving with the other arm and he tells me because he's used to driving with the other one.
    So. Wtf? I ask him what he proposes and since he doesn't give me an answer I say that if he's already planning to be miserable that it might be best for him to stay home because he'll make the trip hard on everyone if he has a bad attitude. So he tells me he'll think about it. Yes, I still had a fleeting hope that he'd step up and tell me that he'd keep a good attitude and come with us. I woke up last night and he was still up so I told him that the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that making the trip by myself with all three kids, multiple activities going on, multiple places we are staying...might be too hard. The look on his face was as if I'd just told him that he had to sit through a 6 hour opera.
    I cried myself to sleep because I don't know what to do. I don't feel right cancelling. Everyone is beyond excited that we are coming since we never make it up there. Not to mention I have already told my kids they are going to see their cousins. Mudder Fupper. (There's that potty mouth I mentioned)
    Bridget. Don't cancel and don't let your dbf weenie out of going or pulling his own weight, and don't feel bad about it for one more second.

The parade and seeing your family sounds like it will be a blast for you and your kiddos, too.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Yeah, you are right. I'm going. I have texted my brother to see if he'll join me but he doesn't know if he can get off work tomorrow.
    The thing is that now if dbf decides to go he's going to walk around like a martyr.

You have the patience of a saint. Please share, because it sounds like you have loads of patience to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

You have the patience of a saint. Please share, because it sounds like you have loads of patience to spare.
    I think I'm just tired.

I think I'm just tired.
    I hear ya.

Oh Bridget! Hopefully, DBF will step up, and not act miserable when he's there. Or at least there will be enough people and activity that you won't have to notice/care.

I don't remember my dreams usually, but I dreamt last night that when I went to pick up my takeout order from the local hole in the wall joint, the president was there, picking up his takeout Kabobs! Kind of random and weird.

L, I showed Mira Baby S's video (she loves looking at all the kid pictures on the fo). She goes "What's Baby Soren doing" I asked her back what she thought he was doing. She goes "Baby Soren is eating his toys. Silly Baby Soren!". We got some mileage out of that video during breakfast, and she actually ate all of it without too much fuss.
    Last edited by Suja; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Me too! I have absolutely NO musical ability. I can not carry a tune or pitch to save my life, but I do love to rock out when I'm in the car by myself

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I'm glad your going Hopefully the drive is un-stressful as possible!!

I'm another one with no musical ability. My mom has said to me "You know I love you very much, but please don't sing where other people can hear it" However, there is some musicality on both sides of the family. My maternal grandma is classically trained, and so are two of my cousins. And on my dad's side, there are at least two cousins that sing very well, despite no training whatsoever. The kidlet is really into music, and I hope to nurture that.

Nolan loves music too. I hope that he has a better tune than me!! My singing is awful. but I love to sing so that kind of stinks!

So I'm just copying and pasting this from Feb NET

Ok... So DH was getting frisky last night (I know TMI).

Me: Babe I'm starting to get a line on my OPK, we should probably hold off for a few days
    DH: So.
    Me: Um, do you remember what the OPKs mean?
    DH: Yeah, I thought we were going to have another baby.
    Me: Who decided what?????????

Apparently we are going to have this conversation at another time, when all his blood isn't you know elsewhere.

Last time we had the baby conversation he wasn't interested in having another for a loooong time. I think this man has officially lost his mind!!!

BTW, *I* don't think I'm a terrible singer, but in light of all the testimonials to the contrary, I'll have to conclude that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    BTW, *I* don't think I'm a terrible singer, but in light of all the testimonials to the contrary, I'll have to conclude that's the case.
    I never thought I was that bad either... until I recorded myself... It's bad

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Apparently we are going to have this conversation at another time, when all his blood isn't you know elsewhere
    LOL!

How much longer until you're no longer in school?

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    LOL!

How much longer until you're no longer in school?
    Still quite a while. A year and a half I think. There is NO way we can throw another baby in the mix. I think that man has officially lost his mind!

I do know that as Nolan gets older, DH gets more and more in his 'groove' as far as parenting goes. He's fantastic with the Toddler stage (whereas I prefer the infant stage) so I think that is making him want another.

I love Zappos too. They have small sizes and the free shipping and returns was great when I couldn't figure out why size 5's wouldn't fit me anymore. I had a hard time accepting I was a size 6 after I had Josh.

Abbey's reaction to the movie was cute!