Page 981 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 481881931971979980981982983991103110811481 ... LastLast
Results 29,401 to 29,430 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I have not seen it. But I really like Kristen Chenowith. I loved her in Pushing Daisies. If Newt doesn't like it, I am sure I will like it!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Mandy, would you be able to do a blog about music and language. Cash doesn't talk a lot but carries a perfect tune to quite a few songs, which amazes me.

Sorry for the short post, y'all. I'm on my phone and will post more later when the kids are asleep.

Good healthy vibes, Lisa!

I've been pretty good on WW for the past three weeks. I gave up sugar for Lent but am really wavering today as my dh (witness to cheating!) is out of town and I am c.r.a.v.i.n.g molasses crinkle cookies. We will see. I got acupuncture yesterday and had sugar craving as one of the things I wanted them to stab me up for. My heel spur is just getting worse and worse. I think I will have to wear orthopedic shoes all the time now. <<shudder>> Naot has some that are okay, but when it comes down to it, I will still be wearing expensive and clunky orthopedic shoes.

Cute video, L! yumyumyumorange

I am frustrated. Volunteered to help at a print/poster sale for the screen printing studio that I am interested in volunteering for. I didn't even get a final schedule until this morning at 11:30 when I came home sweaty from a workout to find that my shift started at noon. Already an impossible feat, the event is in downtown Austin in the middle of SXSW where the least expensive parking is $30!!!! I tried to get down there, but was stuck in traffic for an hour and by the time I found out that even the paid city parking at the convention center was full I was an hour late for the shift and there's no way I could have made it in time at all. I feel like I look like I am a flake and didn't fulfill my promise but in the circumstances there is simply no way I could do it. I have another shift on Friday that will be just as difficult to get to, but I can at least try to take the train or have my dh drop me off for that. Argh. And I was feeling all bubbly from an hour of yoga and 45 minutes of the elliptical. Down the drain. All upset and stressed out. Maybe I will go shopping for ugly old lady orthopedic shoes this afternoon...

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Katey I get heel spurs too. One thing that has helped is not going barefoot at home anymore. I wear slippers (with at least a little support in the sole) almost all the time except like going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. And I no longer exercise barefoot even just going on the balance ball. I also stretch my feet before I get out of bed in the morning a few times. I think that I have had 3 heel spurs so far in my left foot....it easily takes like 9 months to go away. I have so far refused the cortisone shot.

And Naot are not old lady shoes. I have a pair that were my pair last year and the year before that were cute for the winter. Summer I do wear sandals but make sure that they have support in the arch and are softer in the heel. My current shoes are Dansko...a pair that have a bit lower heel and the sole is soft and cushy instead of very hard like my old Dansko. This is it. It is VERY comfortable and perfect with jeans or for work (I have to be fairly dressed up for work).
    http://www.schulershoes.com/Womens-D...sey-P7943.aspx

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Katey I get heel spurs too. One thing that has helped is not going barefoot at home anymore.
    This would seriously make me cry. I abhor shoes.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Has anyone seen GCB? I haven't yet, but after Newt Gingrich made some critical remarks of it, my curiosity is piqued. I'm annoyed that they abbreviated the name, though, as I was so excited to learn there might be a primetime show with the "B" word in it's title. It looks like it might be funny.

Eating, but wanted to respond - GCB is freaking hilarious!!!! I already love this show.

I actually don't like the "B" in the title though. There is another show I saw advertised the other day too that has the word "B" in the title. I think it is a negative connotation for women, but GCB is too funny and it is based on a book so I can look past the B.

Oh and I harrassed the baseball league and they have given Ky a spot on the championship team even though they told me he probably wouldn't play much. I am happy he is on a team again and will have to remind them of LL by-laws that state that each player has to play in at least one inning so they won't think they can bench him. People and how they get all enthralled over kid sports/events really irk me.

Erin

I have not seen GCB. DH and I watched a few minutes of it because I squealed "She was the original Glinda!" when I saw Kristin Chenoweth. She was one of the lead roles on Broadway in my favorite musical, Wicked.

What a cute video L!

I took Josh to see The Secret World of Arrietty today. It's not playing in our area anymore so I had to drive to Rhode Island to see it. It was well worth it. Some talk about death and dying, which may make it less appropriate if your kid isn't prepared to handle that, and a little scary parts about the borrowers being afraid of being caught or eaten by the cat. But really well done. The best part though was that before the movie, they showed an ad for my uncle's band who is playing in the area soon.

At one point Josh said "I wonder if there really are little people..."

Sorry about the volunteering issues, Katy. I hope some shoe shopping will make you feel better

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post

I am frustrated. Volunteered to help at a print/poster sale for the screen printing studio that I am interested in volunteering for. I didn't even get a final schedule until this morning at 11:30 when I came home sweaty from a workout to find that my shift started at noon. Already an impossible feat, the event is in downtown Austin in the middle of SXSW where the least expensive parking is $30!!!! I tried to get down there, but was stuck in traffic for an hour and by the time I found out that even the paid city parking at the convention center was full I was an hour late for the shift and there's no way I could have made it in time at all. I feel like I look like I am a flake and didn't fulfill my promise but in the circumstances there is simply no way I could do it. I have another shift on Friday that will be just as difficult to get to, but I can at least try to take the train or have my dh drop me off for that. Argh. And I was feeling all bubbly from an hour of yoga and 45 minutes of the elliptical. Down the drain. All upset and stressed out. Maybe I will go shopping for ugly old lady orthopedic shoes this afternoon...
    Awww... I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with that! It's not your fault that they didn't publish their volunteer schedule earlier. People should know that not everyone checks their e-mails/messages religiously.

I do like my NAOT's, I must confess. I have a Mary Jane style and 2 pairs of step-in sandals. I just wish they had a size between 37 & 38, because those would fit me perfectly. I am not opposed to clunky shoes, though. I have disproportionately small legs - relative to my upper body. So maybe it's just my imagination, but bigger shoes feel like the right counterbalance to my top heaviness. Otherwise I look like an apple on toothpicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I actually don't like the "B" in the title though. There is another show I saw advertised the other day too that has the word "B" in the title. I think it is a negative connotation for women, but GCB is too funny and it is based on a book so I can look past the B.

Oh and I harrassed the baseball league and they have given Ky a spot on the championship team even though they told me he probably wouldn't play much. I am happy he is on a team again and will have to remind them of LL by-laws that state that each player has to play in at least one inning so they won't think they can bench him. People and how they get all enthralled over kid sports/events really irk me.
    I'm not particularly bothered by the B word, although I can definitely see how it can have oppressive connotations. Granted, I'm not much of a cusser in general - going back to our earlier discussion. Sometimes, I let loose a satisfying F-bomb, when there's absolutely no substitute in that situation. But since I'm somewhat anal about my choice of words, there's a part of me that looks for the term that most precisely captures what I mean to say. It's rare that a "potty" word fits that bill. I just liked the juxtaposition of B with the GC in the case of that show's title.

If you don't like the original "B", I hear people are substituting "Belles" in its place.

And good for you for getting Ky on that team. It was the right thing for them to do. I hope you don't have to nag them to give Ky his fair share of play time.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I took Josh to see The Secret World of Arrietty today. It's not playing in our area anymore so I had to drive to Rhode Island to see it. It was well worth it. Some talk about death and dying, which may make it less appropriate if your kid isn't prepared to handle that, and a little scary parts about the borrowers being afraid of being caught or eaten by the cat. But really well done.

That does look good. I'd like to see it for myself, and save it for later for B to see. We took him to see The Lorax on Saturday. We thought he'd be able to follow along with his memory of the book, which we've read to him dozens of times. They changed it so much from the book that I'm sure most of of it was quite over his head, but he still really enjoyed it. He talked about different scenes and messages from the movie before going to bed that night. I love me some Betty White!
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.

I love Betty White too! Just her sweet voice in that movie made me smile.

My parents are coming into town today for 2 weeks. I was just cleaning the bathroom and pulled over 100 toy or toy parts from the tub - most of them were Bodhi's.

LOL!
    What do you have planned with your parents?

sorry about the heel spurs. My mom suffered with those, she finally had to have the cortizone shot, and she was never bothered with them again.

Oh I love Betty White!! I watch Hot in Cleveland, and they give Betty the best lines. That show looks like so much fun to work on. The bloopers always crack me up.

That is good news about Ky and his LL team. I hope he enjoys it.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

LOL!
    What do you have planned with your parents?
    Some fun things I hope, despite the stormy weather. I feel a little bad because I have a lot of work deadlines and early morning calls during the week. I'm going to try my best to escape downstairs to the in-law unit when I have to be moving around at 6 am. I'll probably bring my tea kettle down there. But it just so happens I have all these expiring "Groupon" type of vouchers that I have to use. For example, I got a one-year membership to the Asian Art Museum, so I'd like to take them there this weekend. Another to the Bay Area Discovery musuem. Oh, and one for a photography workshop just for me, during which I plan to ask my parents to babysit.

What I really like about our house location is that we live one town over from the highest concentration in the US of people from my parents' "old country", so they feel quite at home wandering around the malls, having easy access to their type of food and hearing their own language spoken, even seeing billboards in their native language. Sometimes, I'm at the mall in the middle of the day and I see a group of older countrymen, clearly retired, who remind me of my father and make me feel a little homesick for him. I'm pretty excited to see them (and am also mentally preparing myself to be patient). They've been traveling around Asia since January. I think my father is also here to explore a center that treats Parkinson's. No small thing.

Bodhi has been making exciting progress in his swim lessons. He's almost earned his "green ribbon", which means he can swim 6 feet unassisted. He fell short of earning it last Saturday because he forgot to keep doing his 'paddle hands'. So I guess it's a good thing I emptied the tub because I think I'll do some practicing in there with him the next few nights.

It's so exciting to see kids acquire new skills. Last Sunday, at that playdate in the park I mentioned, we were with a group of kids that were just 2-6 months older than Bodhi. We got to watch a couple of them balance on their bikes without training wheels for the first time. I swear, I get teary just thinking about the looks on their faces, just this "yes! I can do anything!" type of expression. Their parents were over the moon.
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.

That is great about Bodhi's swimming! Josh can't swim on his own yet. I kept him out of swimming lessons all winter so we wouldn't have to trek back and forth in the cold and snow. It turned out we had such a spring-like winter, I wish I had kept him in.

Which country are your parents from? That's really nice that there is that community so close by.

kate, this is going to sound so weird, but I PM'd you the answer to your question about where my parents are from. I don't know why I get cagey about it. One part of it is privacy paranoia. Another part of it is just having too many bad/lame experiences with getting hit on by guys who have weird Asian fetishes, as if having that piece of knowledge about me gave them something over me. I mean, someone would find out where I'm from, and say "Aaaahhhh!" like now they know what category (e.g. demure, obedient, submissive, promiscuous) to put me in. It still gives me the willies.

Not that I think any of you would think of me as the "Asian flavor of the month". Ha!~
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Oh I love Betty White!! I watch Hot in Cleveland, and they give Betty the best lines. That show looks like so much fun to work on. The bloopers always crack me up.
    I've been meaning to check out that show. The cast looks like they'd have good chemistry. Is Betty White a series regular, or does she drop in as a guest on certain episodes?

I ended up getting these:1711353-p-DETAILED.jpg
    http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-sandy

My feet are so weird. I have a heel spur but I can't wear shoes with a lot of support because I underpronate, so Birkenstocks and other shoes with a lot of built in support actually destroy my feet. Naots are really the only "supportive" kind of shoe I can wear without killing me feet. I hope these work out. They had better because gee whiz, I just spent $150 on them. The color is actually a nice neutral and easier on the eyes than a big black pair of clunky sandals. I could do without the sparkly thing in the middle, but I can live with it.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 03-14-2012 at 08:56 PM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Kate, the sandals are nice. It's warming up here and I need to find some good no-sock-needed footwear for spring and summer that is supportive. I'm not looking forward to it.

Myles, I have to admit you piqued my curiosity. I can understand your feelings, though. Unfortunately there are a lot of young guys who don't have a very realistic way of looking at women. But I promise none of us will hit on you. Well, at least I won't. I can't make promises for the rest of you!

L, I almost died from the cuteness in that video. I wasn't going to ask, but that actually would be a great illustration of one of the points I will probably end up making in another post.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Mandy, would you be able to do a blog about music and language. Cash doesn't talk a lot but carries a perfect tune to quite a few songs, which amazes me.
    I wish I could. Sadly (because I'm a singer as well as a language person) I don't know a lot about the development of music. I have read that it develops as a separate but related skill along with language but don't know much more than that. That's great he can carry a tune at his age, though! I believe that's pretty unusual. My sister could at that age, but I couldn't and I am the one that ended up majoring in music for a while. My nephew was born a drummer. He would pound out rhythms even as a little tiny one. Now he plays the bass and has an incredible musical sense.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Not that I think any of you would think of me as the "Asian flavor of the month". Ha!~
    Well now my secret is out.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    But I promise none of us will hit on you. Well, at least I won't. I can't make promises for the rest of you!
    No promises here

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I've been meaning to check out that show. The cast looks like they'd have good chemistry. Is Betty White a series regular, or does she drop in as a guest on certain episodes?
    Betty is a regular cast member. I really love the chemistry between all the ladies. It's nice to see a show set around older women. I remember all the women from their previous tv shows. They also have a lot of guest stars,including their old co-stars, like the dad from Frasier. Oh and Huey Lewis was on a couple shows too. The only thing I don't like about it, the characters are obsessed with their weight and looks. They talk about it a lot. It rubs me the wrong way, but eh it's a silly sitcom.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Myles, if you suspect someone to be trolling for some fantasy, just tell them you're from Tonga or something. Some place they wouldn't know anything about.

I just got my butt handed to me by YOGA. How pathetic is that?

I can't imagine how sore I'd be if I did yoga.

I took Josh to see The Secret World of Arrietty today. It's not playing in our area anymore so I had to drive to Rhode Island to see it. It was well worth it. Some talk about death and dying, which may make it less appropriate if your kid isn't prepared to handle that, and a little scary parts about the borrowers being afraid of being caught or eaten by the cat. But really well done. The best part though was that before the movie, they showed an ad for my uncle's band who is playing in the area soon.

At one point Josh said "I wonder if there really are little people..."

Sorry about the volunteering issues, Katy. I hope some shoe shopping will make you feel better
    We took Abbey to see that the day it came out. It was her first full-length movie, and she loved it. I love Miyazaki movies (especially Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke) but they are usually a little bit too scary for little ones. The Secret World of Arriety wasn't too scary IMO, and Abbey's pretty sensitive to that stuff. DH asked her what her favorite part was and she said "The boy". DH tried to convince her the cat was best character, but she insisted the boy was best because "he was so cute" (she actually calls everything 'cute' but in this context it was hilarious). My DH's reaction was the best part. Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I ended up getting these:1711353-p-DETAILED.jpg
    http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-sandy

My feet are so weird. I have a heel spur but I can't wear shoes with a lot of support because I underpronate, so Birkenstocks and other shoes with a lot of built in support actually destroy my feet. Naots are really the only "supportive" kind of shoe I can wear without killing me feet. I hope these work out. They had better because gee whiz, I just spent $150 on them. The color is actually a nice neutral and easier on the eyes and a big black pair of clunky sandals. I could do without the sparkly thing in the middle, but I can live with it.
    Cute! I think I posted on here awhile back about the weirdness of my feet, so I can empathize. Back in Colorado it was completely acceptable to walk around the whole year in socks and clogs, or (the horror) socks and sandals. It may be a fashion travesty, but it was really nice when your feet hurt in anything remotely fashionable. Here in Texas people would be horrified, I'm sure.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 03-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post

Cute! I think I posted on here awhile back about the weirdness of my feet, so I can empathize. Back in Colorado it was completely acceptable to walk around the whole year in socks and clogs, or (the horror) socks and sandals. It may be a fashion travesty, but it was really nice when your feet hurt in anything remotely fashionable. Here in Texas people would be horrified, I'm sure.
    Come to Austin, Molly! You can do whatever you want here. I have never actually worn socks with sandals outside my home but I have seen others do it more often than I can remember.

Are they cute? Argh!!! I am having second thoughts about them now...

Not pathetic at all. Yoga isn't all breathing and stretching, so unless you're wiped from an hour of doing that, you hit a sweet spot.

I love yoga tiredness, m'self. Though I'm liking the owner of my local yoga studio less and less.
    She's not customer service minded in the least (like unapologetic last minute schedule changes and blunt 2 word answers to emails), plus she just
    seems like a person on edge / not at peace all the time. Not what you'd expect from someone who's practiced as long as she has. Then again, her style is Bikram, which seems both way more militaristic and yet somehow still easier than other forms I've done in the past, if you don't mind a 107 degree room. I'm trying to decide if I should revise my Yelp review from a 3 star to a 2 star. I like to support local business, but only to a point. I've heard stories about the owner lecturing an entire
    yoga classroom about one bad Yelp review in the past. Right before the savasana (quiet rest period at the end of each class).

Myles, that woman seems to be missing the point of yoga. And doesn't know how to run a business either.

There is just no way I can do Bikram. I'm just not a big fan of heat, and the idea of working out in 100 degrees, let's just say that it holds no appeal.

Yoga can wipe me out, too! But I always feel like I'm in better tune when I leave.

Ugh, I'm too old for SXSW. Some hipsters who live on our street are having an unauthorized SXSW showcase with seven bands that, according to the announcement on facebook, is supposed to go until 2 am. Ha! Not if I have anything to say about it. If it is still going on when I want to go to sleep I will be calling the cops.

Well, I put masking tape on the the soles and wore them with socks (sandals and socks! I was wearing that when we just talked about it!) all evening and I think they are going to go back to the store. They seem just a bit too narrow so the side of my foot squishes out just the tiniest bit on the outside of the flower. Not enough so that anyone would notice, but it seems like it would start to be annoying after a while. I will leave it alone until tomorrow. Sorry to be talking so incessantly about these shoes, but I really just want a comfortable pair of slide-in shoes that I can wear around the house and out and about since I can no longer go barefoot I hate shoes.

Not pathetic at all. Yoga isn't all breathing and stretching, so unless you're wiped from an hour of doing that, you hit a sweet spot.

I love yoga tiredness, m'self. Though I'm liking the owner of my local yoga studio less and less.
    She's not customer service minded in the least (like unapologetic last minute schedule changes and blunt 2 word answers to emails), plus she just
    seems like a person on edge / not at peace all the time. Not what you'd expect from someone who's practiced as long as she has. Then again, her style is Bikram, which seems both way more militaristic and yet somehow still easier than other forms I've done in the past, if you don't mind a 107 degree room. I'm trying to decide if I should revise my Yelp review from a 3 star to a 2 star. I like to support local business, but only to a point. I've heard stories about the owner lecturing an entire
    yoga classroom about one bad Yelp review in the past. Right before the savasana (quiet rest period at the end of each class).
    That reminded me of this best of craiglist post. Long, and hilarious.

Katy, I would no doubt feel differently about Texas if I lived in Austin. I order an ungodly amount of shoes from Zappos because they have free shipping and returns, so I can try on shoes by walking around the house for an hour rather than 5 minutes in a shoe store. I like the way El Naturalista shoes fit (I have these), and I think they have some cute sandals too.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

That was hilarious.