Page 978 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 478 878 928 968976977978979980 988 1028 1078 1478 ... LastLast
Results 29,311 to 29,340 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

...and that's what makes it funnier/more shocking. You expect it from some people (probably people like me). When you say something like that, it's friggin hilarious!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I've had that effect on people before. Like when I swear in real life (which inevitably happened when I used to work in kitchens) people look at me in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I've had that effect on people before. Like when I swear in real life (which inevitably happened when I used to work in kitchens) people look at me in shock.

My new coworker friend is called "Potty Mouth Faye" because she said the f-word once and she's another one that never swears. That stuff cracks me up. I'm so immature.

How messed up is this? Rich's paternal grandfather passed away 'sometime over the weekend' and no one bothered to tell Rich or his siblings. I learned about it from my former supervisor at mental health. I haven't worked there since December 2004.

Is it just me, or is this not all kinds of f'd up? It's not like we haven't seen him either.

That's really messed up.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Jamie (Rich's sister) just called their Uncle Bob & learned he passed away Saturday morning. I'm feeling sick.

I would be furious.

I'm stunned. Were they ever going to tell us? WTF?

We haven't seen/spoken to Rich's father in 12 or so years...by his choice. But we've seen his grandfather. Rich's grandfather couldn't understand how **** (Rich's dad) could choose his wife over his kids. All the aunts and uncles (there were a lot) knew how to get a hold of us. Heck, I see Rich's aunt Janet every other week when I check in for my therapy appointments. I love Aunt Janet, but I don't understand this.

I'm so sorry!

That's not right at all, Chrissy. I'm so sorry to hear that. How's Rich doing? Did your kids know their great-grandad well?

Distressing. When is the funeral? Do you think you will want to go to it?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That's awful, Chrissy. I'm so sorry.

A friend's Grandmother passed away recently, and one of the family members decided to announce it on FB as soon as they found out (before others had been informed). And got all pissy when asked to remove it. I don't know what has happened to common courtesy.

My sil just posted on FB something about her grandfather passing away and not being told by her dad or anyone...I told Rich he better call Bobbie at school quick and tell her before she saw it. Jay is the one that just lost the father to her kids, so I'm sure she's not thinking clearly.

I'm losing track of it, but it's very close to a year and a half of one thing after another slamming us. I almost wish I believed in God so I could pray or something. I think I'm going to start going to therapy every week...instead of things getting better (or spreading out) they're happening quicker and quicker. We cannot recuperate from one thing before something else happens. It's not about having an adjustment disorder at all. It's extremely overwhelming to have one horrible thing after another happen month after month after month after month after week after week.

MERCY!
    Last edited by missychrissy; 03-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I'm waaaaay not even caught up on this but I saw someone mentioned e-cigs to Chrissy - I use one and love it!

I have this one: http://www.asmartsmoke.com/omega_sta...p/omegakit.htm and LOVE it. Seriously. I know I would still be smoking real cigs if I didn't have this thing.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I'm really glad I don't live in Arizona. http://www.aclu.org/blog/reproductiv...ol-youre-fired. How are these people getting elected? Why aren't women getting out there en masse and throwing these bums out? UGH!

Oh, the good old AZ legislature again. Those people are a bunch of total whackjobs. Seriously, even the far right think they're all crazy, but somehow they keep getting re-elected. It makes no sense.

Suja, do you know of a site that lays out information on that bill? I haven't heard of it before just now.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-12-2012 at 10:10 PM.

I found this article from the AZ Republic, but it only mentions allowing exemptions from the bill for secular employers. It doesn't say anything about firing women for using birth control here.

http://www.votesmart.org/static/billtext/38588.pdf. That's the bill.

"To clarify the article, a clause in Arizona HB2625 that PROHIBITED an employer from firing an employee for using contraception obtained outside of the employer's insurance plan was TAKEN OUT before the vote. It read: "E. A religious employer shall not discriminate against an employee who independently chooses to obtain insurance coverage or prescriptions for contraceptives from another source." (Section 20-1057.08) This bill passed the Arizona House 39-18 and is in committee in the Arizona Senate." (clarification courtesy of a friend).

Wow. That's all.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, how awful. I'm so sorry. I hope you all catch a break soon. You deserve it. And I think you should definitely go to counseling as often as you want it and need it.

Mylah, it's interesting that you remarked on how often you heard parents threatening to have their children leave the playground the other day. I think I've commented before (it was really remarkable during the multiples camping trip) on how often I hear parents make empty threats. Especially the "do that one more time and I will take it away from you" and "I told you if you do that one more time, I would do it, and I really mean it this time, so stop it now, I really mean it" and "Come on, I really mean it this time, so cut it out!" I saw a ton of really stellar parenting during that camping trip too, and I try to learn from good examples and from bad, but it was amazing how often I saw both moms and dads telling their kids things and not following through on them.

That trip really hit home for me how important it was to ensure that I was fully prepared to act on whatever I said I was going to do, and to mean what I said, and to be consistent and fair and rational, both to the kids and to myself. I'm not perfect, but I am usually pretty good about following through, and I usually think ahead about what I'm doing before I shoot myself in the foot, like by taking away something that would keep them entertained and happy and out of trouble.

Oh, and so far, no accidents, illnesses, or ER trips. And I even tempted fate by buying bicycles for the twins today and putting baby S. on a balance bike today for the first time.

We are contemplating at least one camping trip in early summer by ourselves for a full solar eclipse (May) near here, and just got invited to another group one shortly after that. I am not sure how much we'll be up for. I like to think we are camping type people, but it is so difficult and uncomfortable, particularly with children, although it is particularly rewarding for the children. I guess it's kind of like how I'd like to think of myself as someone who would read quality literature, but when I actually sit down to read a book, it's more often than not something I can just whiz through as a pleasant diversion and is not life-changing or excessively thought-provoking.

I can't remember what else I was going to write, so maybe I'll just go and think of other things later.

Interesting about the unfulfilled threats. Related topic, I have noticed a few times that moms who have kids with a combination of attention challenges and limited verbal skills rely on vague promises of future good things to try to help their kids focus. Things like, "listen to the lady and I'll take you to the park later." The kid doesn't know how two wait two minutes, much less till "later". It works okay in older and/or more verbal kids, but it just doesn't work for the sort of kids who end up needing my assistance. Where my partner and I can say something like, "point to the kitty and then you can blow a bubble" while waving the bubbles at him. Works like a charm in almost every case. It's so much more effective when it is concrete, immediate, and consistent.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 03-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

LOL I get that totally too. People that don't know me well tend to think I'm religious (usually Mormon!) and conservative because I can be quiet. Just recently some people were talking about a drag show and shocking but since it was at the U and not a bar, that it was safe to go. And thinking that something like that would be really shocking to me. Um, I'm from the big city and my much beloved uncle that isn't with me anymore used to dress in drag on occasion and isn't any big deal to me.
    Or when I told another coworker who is a DJ on the side that our song at our wedding was a Metallica one and he was all shocked....and I have been working with him for five years.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I love Metallica!! Rock on sister!

L, your pic is adorable! Yay for no accidents!!

I've threatened to take my kids home from the park before. But I did it.

People are shocked when I curse as well since I usually do not curse, mostly due to being a mom and not wanting my kids dropping the f-bomb at me. I am one of those people who doesn't think it's cute when a kid says "F you Mom!" I know kids who talk like this to their parents and they laugh about it. The parents themselves curse a lot in front of the kids so I figure that I don't want my kids cursing at me so I don't curse at or around them.

Like you Jen, a lot of people think I am religious from the way I carry myself I guess. People think I am "saved" very evangelical and it is funny to me that they think that of me. I think mostly because I don't drink or smoke and I rarely do things that people think that non-believers do. I imagine they think we dance around fires and have huge orgies or something, I don't know LOL. People have told me that they initially thought I was "quiet and sweet" and really that is a part of who I am, I think I am a very sweet person and most of the time I am quiet but I also am pretty raunchy, even DH says he was surprised when we first met, he was a sex buddy that developed into a relationship and he knew me initially from work so thought like the rest of them that I was nice and sweet and demure, not an opinionated, loudmouthed, non-believing freak (a freak in more ways than one).

I'm sorry Chrissy. Hopefully it was unintentional that you all were not called and that one person thought another was calling who thought another was calling.
    And yeah I do think that it's not you but life circumstances. Anyone would have a hard time with everything that has gone on for you in the past year and a half.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

imo, it was Rich's dad's responsibility to tell his kids and he made no effort to do so. He's an ass and takes every opportunity to prove our opinion of him as true. Rich generally does ok with not talking to his dad, but this has him really upset. He was remembering when his paternal grandmother was sick and going to die, the only way we found out was Rich's mom happened to be in the grocery store when his paternal aunt was working and she informed her. Rich's parents had been divorced for years and years. In that case, we made it down to see her and were able to be with her and the family when she died, but Rich's dad hadn't told us and wouldn't have.

Erin, I don't think it's cute when kids swear either. I mean, I admit I've laughed when they have said, "Oh sh!t!" out of the blue, but that's different than them actually cursing AT you (or anyone) or in anger. It just slips sometimes. Not often though (not in my house anyway). I only remember Bobbie swearing once as a child. She's starting to do it now and even though she's 18 I hate to hear it. I tell her "SOAP!" on Facebook.

This won't come as a surprise to anyone, but I don't curse. Well, I do, but it's usually when I'm alone in the car and some jerk does something that could've gotten us killed. I have very, very low tolerance for cursing in others as well, and have told people that curse around me (this was back in college; my friends don't) that I'm not comfortable around that sort of language, and to watch their mouth around me. Never ran into any problems either. I figured, the people who are inconsiderate, I don't need to be friends with, anyway.

I don't swear often, but I do sometimes. I don't think it's a big deal.

It might be cultural, Chrissy. I come from one that doesn't curse, and the people that do, are people you generally don't want to associate with anyway.