Page 977 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 477 877 927 967975976977978979 987 1027 1077 1477 ... LastLast
Results 29,281 to 29,310 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ashley, what about getting yourself a slice of German Chocolate cake at a bakery? For months and months I was craving this chocolate cookie sheet cake that my mom used to make. Well my sister and I got together and baked it. Once it was all done and iced, and ready to eat, I decided it really was much too sweet and rich. I even reduced the sugar in the cake and icing! That happens to me a lot, I will crave something, and once I give in, I am often disappointed. In either myself or the actual product.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Shelley, I think it's wonderful that G got to see the baby turtle return to its home. Now you can maybe have fun wondering what that turtle's up to.

Speaking of veggies, DH is a recent convert to eating lots of raw vegetables, and B is a staunch refuser of them (except for the random times he samples my salads more out of curiosity than anything). So this morning DH and I made B a smoothie that had frozen tropical fruits, apple juice, and a leaf of kale in it. It's better than nothing. Seemed a good time to try smoothies again since we let him have a few virgin daiquiris on holiday and now he asks for frozen drinks from time to time. He drank a couple ounces of his smoothie. I'll take that over no veggies at all. I can sometimes get him to have peas with sliced sausages, oh and he loves peeling/eating soy beans. ok so I lied that he hates all veggies, lol, but for the most part, we still have to hide them in his foods.

An apple allergy! I'm sorry to hear that. Can you at least have Asian pears? Sometimes they can hit the spot if I want something crisp like an apple.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Ashley, what about getting yourself a slice of German Chocolate cake at a bakery? For months and months I was craving this chocolate cookie sheet cake that my mom used to make. Well my sister and I got together and baked it. Once it was all done and iced, and ready to eat, I decided it really was much too sweet and rich. I even reduced the sugar in the cake and icing! That happens to me a lot, I will crave something, and once I give in, I am often disappointed. In either myself or the actual product.
    That would be the perfect solution except for they don't do German chocolate cake here in jolly ol' England....well, I don't think they do at least, but I might go on a quest and see if I can find one that does! (There's an American expat running joke here about the 'dry crappy cakes' that people love in this country).

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Shelley, I think it's wonderful that G got to see the baby turtle return to its home. Now you can maybe have fun wondering what that turtle's up to.

Speaking of veggies, DH is a recent convert to eating lots of raw vegetables, and B is a staunch refuser of them (except for the random times he samples my salads more out of curiosity than anything). So this morning DH and I made B a smoothie that had frozen tropical fruits, apple juice, and a leaf of kale in it. It's better than nothing. Seemed a good time to try smoothies again since we let him have a few virgin daiquiris on holiday and now he asks for frozen drinks from time to time. He drank a couple ounces of his smoothie. I'll take that over no veggies at all. I can sometimes get him to have peas with sliced sausages, oh and he loves peeling/eating soy beans. ok so I lied that he hates all veggies, lol, but for the most part, we still have to hide them in his foods.
    Smoothies are a great way to get veg and fruit in to kids. I don't know why, but my 2 boys have always loved veg, so have never had that problem. Travis loves smoothies, though, so he drinks a lot of them.

I'm actually not a huge fan of American cakes. Don't get me wrong, if it's sweet, I'll eat it, but these tend to be kind of cloyingly sweet. Especially compared to the Korean ones, that are every bit as rich, but not as sweet. Which is really, really bad 'cause then you can eat a lot more cake.

I think I might have a strange kid. I don't know if I told y'all, but she basically plays with her food, and doesn't eat much at school. What she does eat is usually salad, corn, peas, beans, broccoli, cole slaw, rolls (wheat), and tortilla. Rarely eats the main course, including pizza. Oh, she devoured tomato soup one day, and ate like 4 pieces of BBQ chicken on Friday. At home, I use a lot of "weird" vegetables, so she's used to eating those, although it's pretty much not optional. I mix everything into her rice, and she eats it - okra, turnip, eggplant, etc.

I like veggies and try to have them at least 2 times a day. Helps that I bring lunch from home and always have baby carrots. Didn't like them at first but after a while they grew on me and now I like them. Broccoli is the other favorite and I cook up a big six cup bowl of it 1-2 times a week (and that is just for two of us). Tonight it will be baby sweet peas. Also like cauliflower, brussel sprouts (DH's favorite), corn, asparagus in season, bell peppers, TOMATOES (if you count as a veggie...they are my FAVORITE), celery and onions but only in cooking other dishes, cuccumbers, snow peas...are the main ones. I will eat green beans if in soup or something. Oh and of course lettuce!

I used to be a lightweight with alcohol. Seriously it only took like two sips and I was buzzing. I miss that. It was after the surgery because the first 5 feet of small intestine is bypassed, it HIT my system fast and hard. But that was years ago now and I feel like the body has adjusted.
    and yup I like snacking when drinking, especially something like a brandy/diet 7up or vodka/diet 7up....I like things like pretzels.

Not much sweet tooth here....it's a carb issue. give me a choice between a homemade cookie or cake and spaghetti, spaghetti wins out.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 03-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I used to not drink at all. I cannot stand tart/bitter tastes, and that rules out a majority of alcoholic beverages. I came to the late (very late, in my 30s) realization that there are sweet drinks out there, so when I do drink, it tends to be stuff like White Russian. REALLy bad for you. Fortunately, I am kind of control freak-y, and will not drink to the point where I will do anything remotely stupid, so my max is like 1 drink.

Totally OT, but a cautionary tale for you ladies: Be careful whom you snoop on FB. I just got an e-mail response to a scheduling question from a woman who's also on the board of my mom's club. And so I got nosy and looked her up on our FB group to find her picture using my iPhone. I could only find the profile pic of her daughter (drats!) and must have accidentally sent her a request because I just logged into FB to find that she's accepted my friend request. What do I do now? I can't unfriend her. She must think I'm some sort of creepy freak for asking to be her friend when the only interaction we've ever had was her writing me to say "April 27 seems open." If only Seinfeld had written an episode about this.

Oh, Myles. No wonder your husband thinks you're a ditz.

I didn't know people could be allergic to apples either. I'm sorry!

Totally OT, but a cautionary tale for you ladies: Be careful whom you snoop on FB. I just got an e-mail response to a scheduling question from a woman who's also on the board of my mom's club. And so I got nosy and looked her up on our FB group to find her picture using my iPhone. I could only find the profile pic of her daughter (drats!) and must have accidentally sent her a request because I just logged into FB to find that she's accepted my friend request. What do I do now? I can't unfriend her. She must think I'm some sort of creepy freak for asking to be her friend when the only interaction we've ever had was her writing me to say "April 27 seems open." If only Seinfeld had written an episode about this.

Oh, Myles. No wonder your husband thinks you're a ditz.
    Oops! Maybe you guys will turn out to be great friends and have a good laugh about it someday

Myles, just block her. Or don't put her on the list you normally post to. She won't know either way.

Tell me not to do this, ladies...
    There's an old friend of mine I've been thinking about a lot lately. He and I were friends in middle school. We were both in a youth group for kids with disabilities (he also has spina bifida)
    I had sort of a rivalry with my best friend (who was also in the youth group with us) at the time for his affections. He used to hang out with both of us on separate occasions but never really showed any preference for one of us or the other. I did, however, feel that he liked me better when he invited me and not her to his high school graduation In general though he was a really cool guy and I guess that's why both my best friend and I kept hanging out with him even though he wasn't really returning our less than platonic feelings.

We lost touch over the years, caught up again a few years ago on myspace but found we were not at all on the same wavelength and lost touch again. Now that facebook is around I've looked him up and seen that he's on it. I've always been kind of curious if he had liked either one of us (or heck maybe both) "in that way". It's totally a bad idea to track him down and ask him, right?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Tell me not to do this, ladies...
    There's an old friend of mine I've been thinking about a lot lately. He and I were friends in middle school. We were both in a youth group for kids with disabilities (he also has spina bifida)
    I had sort of a rivalry with my best friend (who was also in the youth group with us) at the time for his affections. He used to hang out with both of us on separate occasions but never really showed any preference for one of us or the other. I did, however, feel that he liked me better when he invited me and not her to his high school graduation In general though he was a really cool guy and I guess that's why both my best friend and I kept hanging out with him even though he wasn't really returning our less than platonic feelings.

We lost touch over the years, caught up again a few years ago on myspace but found we were not at all on the same wavelength and lost touch again. Now that facebook is around I've looked him up and seen that he's on it. I've always been kind of curious if he had liked either one of us (or heck maybe both) "in that way". It's totally a bad idea to track him down and ask him, right?
    I would leave that one alone and just let it be a mystery!

Myles, that is so something that I would do. Maybe just see how it goes and then unsubscribe her or something???

Kate, I think I'd let it alone. But I don't think it would be bad if you did ask him. I just don't care to know those things and often feel very uncomfortable when a former friend admits they liked me 'that way' back then.

Chrissy, how was seeing your dad after all that time? Did you talk about serious things, or was it pretty lighthearted, testing-the-waters type of stuff? Also, is your dad's wife the same one who gave you some amount at one point, and later offered to call it your "Christmas present"? I don't know why I remember that after all these years. I think that might be the first post of yours I commented on. I think I told you to tell her that your present to her was that you wouldn't be mad for saying such a stupid thing.
    We mostly talked small talk stuff but it wasn't awkward or anything. Dad apologized, in his way, for missing Bobbie's graduation. He tried to say it was his fault, but I know better. I didn't argue with him though and let him think I believed him. I don't know if that was Shelda (his wife) or not because I can't remember the details, but it does sound like something she'd do. Way back in the day when we were very, very poor we ran out of fuel on a Sunday in January. It was 1999 actually because Sydney was a newborn. I'd asked my dad if we could borrow $5 to get through the night as we had a delivery scheduled the next day. She freaked out and yelled at me and called me a gold digger. She absolutely refused. This was less than 3 weeks after I let her be in the room while I gave birth. I hate her.

Today was so busy that Scott & I (the other new guy) didn't get lunch till 1:30. And even then it was because I said, "Scott, we are taking lunch. Now." So we walked to a pizzeria and grabbed a bite. We didn't even take our full lunch break.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL, yeah. I do kind of wish I knew though.

Yeah Kate, I wouldn't go there. It's inconsequential anyway.

So, the kid was just kind of fingering my shirt, and rubbing on my chest, so I asked her if she was playing with mama's boobies. She takes off her hands, and rubs them on her chest, and declares, 'Paru no have boobies!'.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Yeah Kate, I wouldn't go there. It's inconsequential anyway.
    It would be a good ego boost if he said he did like me. But it would suck if he said no, he liked my best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    So, the kid was just kind of fingering my shirt, and rubbing on my chest, so I asked her if she was playing with mama's boobies. She takes off her hands, and rubs them on her chest, and declares, 'Paru no have boobies!'.

That's something else that happened today. I was up on campus in the Athletics dept and the male administrative assistant talked to my chest. I mean, stared dead on straight at my chest and didn't even attempt to make eye contact.

It would be a good ego boost if he said he did like me. But it would suck if he said no, he liked my best friend.
    What if he liked you both and had 3-some fantasies?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    What if he liked you both and had 3-some fantasies?

That would be an ego boost also. LOL

That's something else that happened today. I was up on campus in the Athletics dept and the male administrative assistant talked to my chest. I mean, stared dead on straight at my chest and didn't even attempt to make eye contact.

Sheesh! Next time you talk to him, stare at his crotch. LOL

That would be an ego boost also. LOL
    KATE!!! OMG!! lmao!

Sheesh! Next time you talk to him, stare at his crotch. LOL
    I would but he wouldn't even notice. If I were anywhere but at work, I would have said, "They're tits."

KATE!!! OMG!! lmao!

What? You asked!
    My middle school self would be repulsed though!

What? You asked!
    My middle school self would be repulsed though!
    I thought you'd still be like "ewweee!" lol!

And I thought you knew me better

And I thought you knew me better
    I think you're a 'good girl' I should have known...atheists have no morals. (j/k!) I think it's funny.

My motto is "It's always the quiet ones!"

My motto is "It's always the quiet ones!"
    I guess!