Page 970 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 470870920960968969970971972980102010701470 ... LastLast
Results 29,071 to 29,100 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Shoveling heavy snow is enough to ruin the strongest of backs. I remember that was the first thing that made me realize my dad might be getting old. He was shoveling and suddenly cried out and grabbed his back. He wasn't one for being vocal when he was in pain either.

I'm lucky in that DH takes care of all snow removal. In fact, he's a bit obsessive about it. We've only had 2-3 decent storms this year, but last year we had at least 15-20. Our snowblower is tired!

Have fun with Midge! She's supposed to come visit a friend that lives near me at some point and we are going to try to meet up when she does. She seems like such a wonderful person.

We have been playing the car shuffle game for two days now and it's driving me nuts. We have three vehicles, but only two that can fit the 2 car seats (DH's truck can only fit one). The van needed an inspection and then a recalled part fixed, but they needed to be done at two different garages. We have my FIL's car until it's done, but it's a PITA to constantly bundle the kids up near bed time (DH doesn't get home until almost 7) just to drive and pick up/move a vehicle. I'll be glad when all this work is done. We've put almost 1500 into our vehicles since january. GRrrrrrrrrr.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I'm lucky in that DH takes care of all snow removal. In fact, he's a bit obsessive about it. We've only had 2-3 decent storms this year, but last year we had at least 15-20. Our snowblower is tired!

Have fun with Midge! She's supposed to come visit a friend that lives near me at some point and we are going to try to meet up when she does. She seems like such a wonderful person.

We have been playing the car shuffle game for two days now and it's driving me nuts. We have three vehicles, but only two that can fit the 2 car seats (DH's truck can only fit one). The van needed an inspection and then a recalled part fixed, but they needed to be done at two different garages. We have my FIL's car until it's done, but it's a PITA to constantly bundle the kids up near bed time (DH doesn't get home until almost 7) just to drive and pick up/move a vehicle. I'll be glad when all this work is done. We've put almost 1500 into our vehicles since january. GRrrrrrrrrr.
    What a pain in the butt. How much longer will you have to shuffle cars?

Midge really is a doll. When we went to her restaurant she had told her hubby and he was expecting us. I don't know why, but it was such a thoughtful sweet thing and it just made me love her more. She could have been like, Yeah, they're going to my restaurant. Hope they have fun. Whatever.

Usually my husband takes care of our snow too. I think he did more when our kids were little. Now if it's necessary he has a lot of helpers. For all that I hate the cold, I don't really mind shoveling snow. I really like it when we're all out there together doing it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Hopefully we can pick up the van tonight and be done with it. I'm just waiting to see what other stuff the dealership says we "need" to do. I had it inspected at our local, trustworthy garage yesterday with no problems, but the recall part had to be replaced by a toyota dealership.
    AKA Lisa724

Chrissy, is her husband the chef at her restaurant?
    In my experience chefs really take care of the people they know when they visit the restaurant. Anything for some good word of mouth. I'm disappointed that there's a new chef at the restaurant I used to work at.

Chrissy, how fun that you get to meet Midge!! Have fun!

I don't miss shoveling snow at all. When you're a kid snow is fun- sledding, snow forts, skiing etc... but once you're an adult it becomes a big pita! I remember one time we went to a movie, when we came out, our car was buried in snow. And we had no ice scrapper with us, we had to use a cassette tape case to scrap the ice off the windshield. The final snowstorm that did me in, was in March, freaking March; and it snowed 28 inches over night. 28 inches of snow overnight, that was in addition to the snow we already had! That was my last winter in Alaska.

This morning dh took down G's crib and put up his big boy bed. sniff sniff. I was a little sad to see it go. And Gilly actually cried big tears, I don't want my crib in the garage-it will be lonely. Then he was fine when he realised how nice his big boy bed is, he had all his animals and cars on it showing them. He still has a runny nose, so we are staying home today.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Midge seems like an awesome person. I'm jealous you get to see her again, Chrissy!

Shelley, wow, G has moved to a big boy bed already! It seems like it was only yesterday that Travis was still in a crib and here we are coming up to when my youngest will be getting a big boy bed before too long. I hope you don't go through the stage we did with Travis where he got up all through the night when he realized that he wasn't confined to his bed.

Speaking of the monkey, I had the scare of my life today courtesy of Mister Travis. I picked him up from school and went to get Cash out of the stroller area and when I did that, Travis ran off. When I looked to see if he was standing there in his usual spot, he was nowhere to be seen, just a sea of parents and kids. My SIL saw me panicing and said she'd stay with Cash while I found Travis. I ran through the crowd, with my tummy in knots and thinking where could he be and please don't let him be near the road. And there he was. Outside the school gate. Just standing there. I grabbed him and hugged him and told him to never do that again. Sil caught up with us by then and we got the kids in the car. When I drove away, I burst in to tears as I tried to explain to him how dangerous running away is. I have to stop myself from thinking of the what-if's.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Chrissy, is her husband the chef at her restaurant?
    In my experience chefs really take care of the people they know when they visit the restaurant. Anything for some good word of mouth. I'm disappointed that there's a new chef at the restaurant I used to work at.
    I think he can/does cook, but they actually have their own chef(s?). He was acting as host when we went in and greeted us at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Chrissy, how fun that you get to meet Midge!! Have fun!
    She really is a lot of fun, smart, funny, spunky, and the hour went by waaaayyyyy too fast!!

How scary Ash! I hate it when they do that...today we took Bo to Petco and while I was trying to handle Bo (I cannot wait to get this dog more trained) Josh started walking backwards in the parking lot and almost backed into a moving car. Arg.

There was a man with two gorgeous dogs walking in while we were leaving. One looked like a golden retriever except it seemed extremely tall to me, and had very long hair. And the other looked similar but shorter and with deep red hair. I was really stunned. I was too busy trying to get Bo and Josh safely to the car and keep Bo away from the dogs to ask the man what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    How scary Ash! I hate it when they do that...today we took Bo to Petco and while I was trying to handle Bo (I cannot wait to get this dog more trained) Josh started walking backwards in the parking lot and almost backed into a moving car. Arg.

There was a man with two gorgeous dogs walking in while we were leaving. One looked like a golden retriever except it seemed extremely tall to me, and had very long hair. And the other looked similar but shorter and with deep red hair. I was really stunned. I was too busy trying to get Bo and Josh safely to the car and keep Bo away from the dogs to ask the man what they were.
    Maybe Irish Setters?
    AKA Lisa724

Yeah, I was thinking that sounded like Irish Setters, too.

Ashley, that is so scary!! (hugs) I hate that feeling.

I am worried about him getting up all night long. In his crib he moved around a lot. Anytime I would check on him he'd be a different position. And his bed is only a twin. We shall see tonight.

Chrissy, I'll bet your lunch date did go by fast.

In a couple weeks a friend of mine is coming for a visit, her son is just a few months older than Gilly. It will be good to see my friend, and get the boys together.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

We have this on DD's twin bed. It works awesome. You put it under the fitted sheet.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bumpers-...1064724&sr=8-3
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Speaking of the monkey, I had the scare of my life today courtesy of Mister Travis. I picked him up from school and went to get Cash out of the stroller area and when I did that, Travis ran off. When I looked to see if he was standing there in his usual spot, he was nowhere to be seen, just a sea of parents and kids. My SIL saw me panicing and said she'd stay with Cash while I found Travis. I ran through the crowd, with my tummy in knots and thinking where could he be and please don't let him be near the road. And there he was. Outside the school gate. Just standing there. I grabbed him and hugged him and told him to never do that again. Sil caught up with us by then and we got the kids in the car. When I drove away, I burst in to tears as I tried to explain to him how dangerous running away is. I have to stop myself from thinking of the what-if's.
    That really is a horrible thing to experience. I'm glad it all came out ok.

I know. I've told him he has to wear his wrist leash from now on until I can trust him again to stay close. I kept hugging him when we got home and bursting out in to more tears and he'd say, 'wipe your tears, mummy; it's OK.' :'( I will never ever ever let that happen again.

Big hugs Ash....that is scary! I had something like that happen once with a kid I was babysitting and never forgot the feeling. My mom had the kid but my stupid sister told me, someone took her when I was where she was (kid was with my sister who was like 11 at the time and they were in the front playing and I was in the house for a minute). My mom had gone to the back with her. I about nearly killed my sister for scaring me like that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So freaking scary! hugs!
    AKA Lisa724

Oh that sort of stuff just terrifies me. I am so sorry Ash. I think about Kohlsmom from these boards all the time, who lost her son when he drowned in their pool. Like, at least once a week. It makes me cry just thinking about it right now.

To cheer the mood up a bit; here's a nice pic of my MIL, Travis, Cash and my niece Madeline: (My MIL would kill me if she knew I'd posted a pic of her w/o makeup, but she's still pretty to me!) I love how happy they all look in this pic. And it's funny how they all have the same hair color.

Great picture Ash!

The darker one might have been an Irish setter. Can they be that golden color too or just the red?

Awww, I can see the family resemblance in Madeline. And you're right, your mil is beautiful.

B, I too remember Kohl's mom-it's so sad.

Ashley, love the picture, everyone looks so happy

Well so far the first night in the big boy bed is okay, btw that is what he calls it, not just bed, but big boy bed. I gave him glow sticks lol
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Glow sticks! good idea!
    I think I have some of those hanging around from when I used to put them in his baths (he takes showers now)

Oh, my mother called tonight and she had to put to sleep one of her cats that I mentioned was sick a couple weeks ago

Oh that's so sad Kate. Do they know what was wrong?

That picture is awesome! They all look so similar. Love it.

So much sad news in here
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Karen, what ever happened with your cookie fiasco? I remember your siggy had a picture of the cookie, so I see you finally got them.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Oh boy. I got them about a week after the party. They were awful. Hard, gross. I tried warming one in the microwave to see if that made a difference...nope. So we took a few pictures (they were absolutely gorgeous) but after a month of them sitting in a box on our kitchen table I just threw them all away.

She refunded me the $40 I had sent her. She wasn't happy about it though and this entire thing put a huge strain on our friendship. But it is what it is. It's your business - I didn't get the cookies in time so they really were just useless to me kwim?
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Wow. I'm sorry it put a strain on your friendship, but I'm with you. They were useless to you being so late, not to mention the fact that they were inedible! That's too bad. I'm glad you got your money back.

Kate, so sorry about your mom's kitty.

DH went to the vet today and picked up Cosette's ashes and also the pawprint impression the vet did for us. It was really hard for him. I'm glad we have those things, but I'm also a little weirded out by them. Poor kitty. I still miss my kitty.

Ash, that is a lovely picture.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ash, that is a wonderful picture. Your MIL is beautiful, and you're right, everyone does look happy and you can see the family resemblance.

I am sorry to hear all the sad news. I do know that sinking feeling of a child disappearing. DS tends to wander off a lot, enough that I never go into public venues without an ID bracelet on him.