Page 968 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 468868918958966967968969970978101810681468 ... LastLast
Results 29,011 to 29,040 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ew! I'd put a stop to licking, quick.

Chrissy, we haven't booked yet but I can let you know when we have.

Okay, this licking is both making me laugh and disgusting me!! I hate saliva too.

Well I had a very eventful day. My van began to overheat on the freeway when I was around 5 miles from Elle's dance class. Today was the last class of the session and they were going to have a little performance for us parents and Elle was pretty upset that she may miss it. Plus I forgot my cell phone (dumb me!!) and so I didn't have a way to call for help. I was only about a mile from one of the apartment locations that my company manages so I figured I'd walk there and have the manager who is a good associate of mine to give us a ride home and I'd pay her gas money or at least take me back to my van after I called AAA (which I just would have done anyway if I'd had my phone). A guy stopped who was riding with his daughters and he was on his way to his house which was not that far from the arts center where Elle takes ballet so he gave us a ride there and Elle got to perform so that was nice. Then DH came and got us and on the way back to the van, his freaking truck stopped running so both our vehicles were out of commission for a minute. DH did something and got his truck running again (after he poured some gas in his carborator and had me rev it up and it caught fire, just a small fire from the gas and I was freaking out thinking he was on fire but he wasn't and was alright). And we finally got back home and now I am just beat. It took about 6 hours to get home and I feel like I may as well have gone to work.

I was actually going to go into work today because of our audit coming up next week. I will be out of town all next week, so if I am not around much, that is why, I have to take a class to become a certified procurement officer for our company and it is in Chicago. So I wanted to go over all our files again in preparation for the audit but I'm too freaking tired now to go, plus it will be dark soon and I don't want to go to work in the dark. I'll just go tomorrow.

But, had an adventurous day.

Erin

Oh Erin! I'm so sorry you had such an adventurous day. I'm all about adventure, but not of that kind

Kate-I can't WAIT! How exciting

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

What do you think you'd like to do? you're a couple hours from the city, right?

I'm about 4 hours (maybe more?) from NYC. I've only been there twice.

Wow! Okay then, we might have to plan somewhere else to meet. Is there somewhere in between the city and where you are that would be cool?

There's enough time. I can plan a daytrip to NYC. I have a campus-to-campus shuttle I can utilize...I think it's $50 for a ticket on a luxury bus. We'll plan something.

NY is a BIG state. It's almost as far for me as it is for Chrissy. And there is not a lot going on between the city and upstate, except for nature. If any of y'all are planning a visit to the nation's capital, please let me know. It's a really nice city, with lots of free stuff to do. I love NYC, though. Nothing compares.

Kate-what about visiting the Museum of Natural History? I've been there once. I think all the kids would really like it. We could get them psyched by watching the movie in the day(s) leading up to actually being there. Unless you thought that might freak Josh out. ?

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Wow, Erin, I'm glad things ended up working out so you weren't late and you could see Elle perform, but Egads, what an adventurous day.

We had an adventurous day, too. DH decided to try to build some model rockets with the kids and go to a model rocket launch and it almost didn't happen because we got kind of a late start, but I convinced him to go anyway. It's about 2 hours away. We got there around noon and stayed until 3:30, and had a *blast* (hee hee). Everyone was really nice, and they even let Baby S. launch a few rockets.

Sorry for the big picture. Ours were by far some of the smallest rockets there, but they had fun launching them and chasing after them, and at one point there was a pinata rocket that burst open with a bunch of candy inside. They tried gum for the first time and didn't like it.

We went to a park and playground on the way home, then out to dinner, and then got home after S. was asleep and right at bedtime for the twins. Everyone was in their pajamas and then DD tried to climb onto the counter (she knows she is not allowed to) and banged her newly-healed chin on it and broke it open. The wound dehisced about 2-3 mm. DH took her back to the ER. This is the second time DD has gotten a wound, had it repaired, then broke it open again after it healed.

They steri-stripped it and sent her back home with compliments on her cuteness and knowledge of ER triage assessments. Little did they know it's based on experience.

Ay, yay, yay, Erin & L. Have less adventurous days today!

L, your twins look so different in your latest sig. I used to think they looked so similar and now they don't. Speaking of twins, someone asked me the other day if boy-girl twins could be identical. Isuppressed my sarcasm and just told them that only same sex twins could be identical. Lol. I thought that was a pretty obvious thing if you think about basic anatomy.

Yikes Erin!!!

Aww poor Claire but that is a bit cute that she knew so much about triage.

Eww to the licking. I barely let dogs lick me and only really my dogs. They are both small and have smaller tongues that aren't slobbery. I cannot stand my MIL's springer spaniel licking me because his tongue is big and he's slobbery.

Suja, DC is pretty high on the list of places DH wants to visit so I suspect that we will go there probably next vacation. We would already have gone except extra money is being saved to pay for the rest of the adoption and a minivan once we have the baby. I can totally see us driving out there though in the next few years. At least going east means we can drop off my dogs at my parents house on the way. Probably would bring MIL and baby with us. Dh is really into history so I know we would be going to some museums!

Uneventful weekend here. I, uh haven't gotten out of jammies (well changed them to different jammies) since I came home from work on Friday. Dh and I have been watching Charmed on DVD, made a b-day card for his mom since I have a bunch of papercrafting stuff that I bought when making our portfolio, cooked, slept, read, played with the dogs. I was going to go out and shop a bit today BUT it snowed overnight so not sure I want to anymore.
    Probably more of the same today as yesterday except maybe we will play a game or something. And I SHOULD go downstairs and get back on track using the elliptical again.......

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Claire is really starting to look like you, Lydia!
    Jennifer, sounds like a nice weekend. We got a lot of snow too but I dragged myself out of the house to get groceries this morning while my town is totally dead as everyone is at church. That's the best time to shop around here. That in packer games. No one's shopping.
    Erin, your car story is something that would happen to me. One of my old roommates just sent me a fb message the other day asking me if I remembered the day we were trying to drive out of our driveway but my cat, Simon, was laying at the end of the driveway and wouldn't move. So I got out to move him and while I was doing it my car ran out of gas. lol. That kind of stuff used to happen to us all the time!

I'm frazzled. Dbf is rendered helpless. He's having a lot of pain, especially at night so I sit up with him so he doesn't have to go through it alone. Between him and Sawyer being sick I'm on like mere hours of sleep this weekend. I do feel really sympathetic to dbf but I can't help but be annoyed that he insists on recuperating in the living room in his recliner. I mean, our house is small so that is the only main room outside the kitchen. Yesterday I had the kids down in the school most of the day. Today we are trying to clean and he's sleeping in the living room. He keeps getting jolted awake by loud noises and saying , "Ow ow ow!" because he moves his arms. I just keep calmly asking him if I can help him get comfortable in the bedroom but he's not catching my very blantant drift.
    I'm using some pretty heavy bribery today having Savana and Kai help me clean the house so I pay them for each job and we'll go to goodwill later so they can each buy a toy. It's sort of real life lesson-ish, right?
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.

L you had the kind of adventurous day that I would enjoy (minus C's visit to the ER of course).

And I agree that C is looking a lot like you now and that the twins do look so much different. Is C's hair getting lighter, or R's hair getting darker, they used to look the same color and I think that is what I noticed. The rockets look fun!

I also am planning on going to DC hopefully in the next 18 months, I'll have to see how vacation money is looking. The former CEO of the company I work for is Valerie Jarrett who is a senior advisor to the president and my former boss J, who is a good friend of mine is going to DC next month and is going to get a personal tour of the whitehouse for free since she and Valerie are friends. I am sooooooo jealous and made sure to tell J how jealous I am. She said that she would take me on a cruise to the Bahamas to make it up to me in April so I may get to go on a birthday trip after all. She has already paid for the trip but her younger sister is not wanting to go. She has cancer and feels that since she is doing more chemo in April that she doesn't want to risk getting exposed to an infection. J asked her older sister who said she would like to go but J says she is flaky and may not buy the plane ticket to FL to go. I told her to let me know so hopefully if her sister flakes out I'll get to go on a free trip, minus airfare.

But I really want to go to DC. I've never been.

And Bridget, since they are cleaning, it is not bribery LOL! I usually don't pay the kids for chores but if it is something extra I will think about it and since they are being extra helpful while their dad is out of commission, I would consider that an extra chore worth of an allowance.

I hope your DBF will feel better soon. Is he taking a bunch of pain pills? I am kind of mean when my DH is suffering from medical procedures. He had an umbillical hernia repaired this summer and I told him to stop taking the heavy duty pain pills and to move around some so that he could get better. I also made him stay in the bedroom, he wanted to sleep on our sofa in front of the big screen, but like you, we have a smaller-ish house and him in the living room is not condusive to keeping the house runnning smoothly and him getting the rest he needs to get better. I am pretty pushy when people are ill. I get it from my mom I guess, she used to quarantine us as children when we were ill, we actually had a "sick room" and anyone who was ill or hurt had to stay in there. I actually enjoyed it, but DH doesn't and it seems like he makes more of an effort to get better since I make him extra bored under the guise of making sure he gets enough rest to heal. After the hernia, I told him he could do 2-3 days full blown pain killers, then after that he could take half of what he was taking and we would go down from there over a week. After a week, he was nearly 100%. But I'm sure that his surgery wasn't as invasive as your DBFs so it may take him a bit longer. My brother had a similar surgery, where he had some tendon replaced in his wrist and he is the biggest baby I know when it comes to pain but was okay around 2 weeks later.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 03-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Oh Ash that is funny!

I like shopping during Packer games too. Just not right before the games! I have enough groceries for the next few days....I just wanted to go to Joanns and Kohls and Walgreens for unnecessary shopping.

Ugh having someone at home after surgery is soooo hard. I can see both sides....I don't like lying in bed afterwards and the only time DH had something done (and that was just wisdom teeth) he was on the couch. But on the other hand, it's soo hard for the rest of the house to keep it quiet, especially with little kids around.

And I don't see anything wrong with paying to help clean up the house once in a while. It is real life ish....I mean I work so I can buy myself stuff I want. It is true that I don't get paid to clean my own house but it's not like a little kid can go outside and get a job that pays.

So Dh used to spend a ton of time at his grandparents when he was little. He would get paid to do things like help pick up the crab apples but than he started getting obnoxious and demanding pay for every little thing. So I guess his grandma that day started charging him for lunch...the same amount he got paid for helping them. I was told that he quickly caught on that sometimes you get paid to help and sometimes you do things to help the family because it's nice and you love them.

And I have to say that after I wrote above that I really should get back on the elliptical....I actually went downstairs and used it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja! I didn't know you were from that area too. You're welcome to come up to NYC with us if you can!

What movie do you mean, Chrissy?

Erin, your post makes me feel better because I feel like I am not being very nurturing to him. I am like you where I'm laying down the law and basically telling him that I won't feel sorry for him if he doesn't follow the (my lol) directions for healing. Like, he was staying up all night long playing poker and then waking me up at 3 am because the pain was so bad he couldn't sleep. I told him he couldn't stay awake all day and night and expect to feel better. He'd argue with me that he couldn't sleep because of the pain and i'm like it's common sense that your body needs sleep to heal. Turn off the effing computer, go lay down, don't drink coffee or soda, sleep, eat, drink. Then he gives me this look like he's being a hero and says, "Oh, you're right i'm doing too much. It's just hard for me to sit still." ARGHHHH!

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I hope your dbf gets better soon, Bridget. I am not that nurturing at home, either, honestly. I am anti-coddling, I guess.

DD's hair looks a lot lighter in the picture because the sun was shining through her hair. Their hair is still the same color.

Mandy, how would you correct/model pronouns in this situation?

Baby S. has been saying things like this:

"WAH! My am crying." I tell him I am sorry he's sad, and then add, "You should say it like this: "I am crying." He looks at me all confused for a minute, and then shakes his head and says, "No, no Mommy. MY am crying. Not Mommy crying. MY am crying."

Or he says, "My am cold." So I say, "Are you cold? I am cold, too. I am very cold." He nods and says, "Yup. My am cold. My want jacket."

I just don't know how to do it better. DH says that he's smart and he'll figure it out soon enough without us bending over backwards trying to model pronouns, but if anyone knows the best technique to teach this, you will. I read one of the powerpoint presentations about the correct way to model, but it's really hard with pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Suja! I didn't know you were from that area too. You're welcome to come up to NYC with us if you can!
    Where are you guys? Let me know when you have your plans firmed up, so I can see about it as well.

L, Mira does the same sort of thing, except she uses 'you' or 'Do you' instead of I. Her teacher says to just model correct speech, not to really correct her, and she is slowly starting to use I correctly.

Suja, I'm in Massachusetts but I'm taking a trip with Josh and DH in August to NYC and Chrissy is in NY a few hours outside the city so we are planning to meet up. I haven't booked the dates yet but I will let you know!

Sorry I'm just jumping in here without responding to everything else going on. My nieces and nephew lost their father today. My sister-in-law is beside herself and blaming herself for leaving him 6 years ago. Long story short, he's a drug addict. He had a few good years and we were all very close, hanging out with them every weekend, taking family trips together, etc. But when he started using again, he became paranoid, combative, and difficult to be around. At the end of their relationship he was stealing money from Jamie to buy drugs and threatening to either cut her up and leave her body parts in the woods, or kill himself if she left him. The kids have all had a tumultuous relationship with him. Their son (15) tried living with him, but in the last few weeks things became so impossible he moved back home with his mom. Jamie is so afraid he's going to blame himself for his dad's death, yet she's also blaming herself, wondering if she could have done more, if she would have stayed if things would have been different. My heart is breaking for all of them, even Danny. He was found naked outside his trailer home at 6:30 this morning by the paper boy. There haven't been any toxicology reports yet of course, but the assumption is that he was strung out on something and took his clothes off and passed out outside.

Those kids don't deserve to go through this. They're just 17, 15, and 13.

Dammit, Chrissy. I saw your post on facebook and was hoping it wasn't this bad. I'm so sorry for your sil and her children. And all of you.

Chrissy. I really don't know what to say... those poor kids.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I'm so sorry Chrissy

It's OK. I know there is nothing to say. I'm just completely devastated for those kids. And my sister in law.

I'm sorry, Chrissy.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Poor kids.

The Brianna in my siggy is the one that lost her dad. When I talk about going out with my sil, that's Jay. We're very close. So close that I was the first person she called after his family left her place this morning. Because the girls were with friends, I knew about their dad before they did. I feel inadequate to be a really good support person for them. They're old enough they know what their dad was. They also know that in recent years there was no love lost between me and him. I want them to know I am sorry. Really sorry. But I'm not sure if remembering the good times we had with him years ago is coming across as hypocritical. I wouldn't have wished on him. :-( we all talked about it possibly happening, but we didn't really think it would happen.

We went out to a farm today to pick strawberries! It was fun, an absolutely gorgeous day and the berries were so good. I think we ended up with 8 pounds, of which i must have eaten 4 pounds while processing them for freezing. Yummo.

The only problem is that JoJo has started talking incessantly and today was almost unbearable. While making dinner and getting ready for bed I kept having to send her to another room because it was grating on my nerves like you wouldn't believe.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov