Page 965 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 465865915955963964965966967975101510651465 ... LastLast
Results 28,921 to 28,950 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

That's really rough. I don't know anyone that would be pleasant with so little sleep for so many days. Don't beat yourself up. I'm sorry you were feeling so frustrated and of course we hope she has a good night-for both your sakes.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Whatever works works Chrissy!! I am so excited for Conner too I bet he is really proud of himself!

And Ash, my DH has decided that he is out of the running for the firefighter job. He found out he is number 190 out of 250 remaining eligible applicants. There were originally almost 2500 so he has really beat the odds to make it to 190. But they are only taking 111 people and they are specifically taking the first 111 people that pass everything. DH did the medical exam about 2 weeks ago and he hasn't heard anything yet about those results. Also he was told by some assistant when he was in Chicago last that those who pass the medical exam will have to come on March 3rd for "processing" whatever that means. He has not been informed to show up for "processing" so he is not positive that he passed. The actual class does not start until March 16th, the first day of training and since we never got anything in writing about "processing" I told him to be patient until he hears something. But he is all depressed now and upset that we have spent so much money flying him back and forth to Chicago over the past 4 months and thinking he should have never applied. We spent nearly 2K on last minute flights during this time. Honestly I am not confident that they will not call him. I just think that they are waiting until the last minute and will call him a day or two before he is supposed to be there and so I am still keeping some money saved for him, but he has decided that it's over so I haven't told him this.

He is being a real butthead now that he is in this depressed, angry mood. Ky told me this morning out of the blue that his hearing is "muffled" that he hasn't been hearing as well as he used to hear. I asked him for how long and he told me it has been "a long time" and I was pretty upset and like WHAT!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING!!! He thought it was nothing and that it would go away. I hate it that he is this way, it reminds me so much of myself as a kid as I never wanted to bother my mom with anything. I notice this about him and so I make sure to reinforce on a regular basis that he should tell me if anything is bothering him, especially if he is in pain or someone is picking on him or if he has some sort of medical problem. He said he thought since he could still hear it wasn't a big deal. I am still kind of upset about this.

Anyway, I told DH about it and he got an ugly look on his face and basically accused Ky of lying saying that "kids don't know when they can't hear as well." I looked at him like WTF! I mean I have never heard such crazy spewing. If I couldn't hear as well as I used to, I would notice. Old people notice. Ky is 10 and has always had excellent hearing, of course he would notice. He tried to argue with me and even though I was calm about it, he got kind of irate, I figure because he is upset thinking he is out of the firefighter job, he gets like this, upset about a specific thing that spills over into everything else. He gets really upset because I tell him this trait reminds me of a stereotypical woman trait. He says being called similar to women is an insult. I laugh and he is all upset.

So anyway, I told him that Ky knows when he can hear and when he can't. I also was laughing as I explained to him that if someone wakes up one day and they can't hear but a little bit, they will notice it. That what Ky is describing is not a gradual thing.

Hopefully I can get a nurse call for him at the pedi's tomorrow but ugh....tomorrow is also the first day of baseball practice and I still have a bunch of stuff to do for my audit at work next week, especially since I am going on a business trip next week. Ky said he only told me about the ear thing because it started to hurt yesterday so I am thinking he may have fluid in his ears that are now infected. He used to get recurring ear infections for years so we will see.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 02-29-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: stupid typing mistakes

Sleepy vibes, Molly! For all of you.
    I have a sick baby too. He keeps choking on his phlegm so I'm wearing him in the moby to keep him upright. It scares the heck out of me when he cough gags like that.

Oh Molly hugs to you! Sending Sandman Sleeping Vibes your way. Goooooo tooooo sleeeeeeep.....(I am waving my hands at both you and Abbey to lull you into sweet slumber).

Dang, Erin. I hope Ky's hearing is easily resolved.

I feel like a lot of men act so much more like the way women are stereotyped than most women do. I have always thought that. I used to tell my male co-workers in Hawaii that I couldn't believe how much more biatchy they acted than my girlfriends. They usually agreed. lol

Ky got all afraid because I told him if he has an ear infection I will probably have them give him an antibiotic shot. He was looking so worried. I have mentioned before that I don't like oral antibiotics because I will forget to give them and I just want to get stuff over with quickly. I told him it would serve him right since he should have told me about this immediately. He remembers when he used to get a lot of ear infections, so this is not something he doesn't know. He got his last one at 7 but it was minor and he didn't get antibiotics.

And mostly I am kind of peeved about DH's reaction because he is usually the main parent who wants us to take the kids to the doctor. I am very anti-intervention on most minor children's ailments since I have seen the majority of common childhood infections and know what to do. I also know a lot about skin conditions and can spot allergic reactions and know what sort of allergic reaction will require immediate attention. DH is just so shallow to me and it upsets me. Anything that is strange in appearance on the kids he thinks we should take them to the emergency room, like eczema or something. He thinks it should go away in a couple days or we should continue to make doctor visits and he will want to get angry with doctors who aren't making eczema go away fast enough. Ky right now has a skin condition called petoriasis alba (wrong spelling I am sure) which appeared last summer and which I know about (because DH had it) and I know that even though there are some meds for it, that it usually will go away within 6-8 months by itself so I am just letting it fade away. It is basically a lightening of pigment and is a skin fungus (yucky I know) that is common in humid areas like here in Atlanta. Last summer when my van got broken by the mechanic we had to ride around in DH's truck that doesn't have AC so we were all extra hot and humid and both Ky and Elle got skin problems from it. Elle got recurring heat rashes that DH felt we should rush her to the ER for but now that our son has problems hearing he doesn't think it is a big deal. I think mostly because he doesn't want to personally take him to the doctor. I asked if he could go in early tomorrow and take Ky in the afternoon since he gets off work before I do. I think he just doesn't want to go but instead of saying that he is b!tching, in front of Ky about how Ky is probably lying, which I felt was very disrespectful and only reinforces to Ky not to tell us things that are bothering him.

I also think it is favortism. I feel DH is more concerned about Elle with everything. He is also nicer to her than he is to Ky and I have brought this to his attention and he admitted he is like this but mostly because Elle is younger and is a girl and he thinks Ky needs to be "tougher" since I "baby him" (insert eyeroll) so he needs one parent to be tough. I told him he can complain about how I baby Ky as much as he wants but to treat him the same way as he does Elle. Elle takes advantage of him and is disrespectful a lot to DH because he lets her get away with so much. She is not like that with me. Maybe it is some sort of daddy/daughter thing, I don't know and wth Ky some son/dad drama.

Erin

That would make me crazy too, Erin. Likely it is an ear infection. Sorry DH is in such a bad mood.

Sleep vibes to all! I haven't been sleeping well since the cat died and I am just worn out. Night, all.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

SCUBJIA! I love it that my autocorrect has learned to pre-fill that in for me.

PR is really great. So far. The flight was difficult (Bodhi has stepped up his tantrum game, but DH & I have both been listening to Scream-free Parenting and have sort of been glad for the drills), but it's really pretty here, and so much interesting history and current politics, given that the folks here can participate in primaries, but not vote in national elections.

Erin, sorry that your DH is losing hope on becoming a firefighter. Does it have to be Chicago, though? I was just struck
    by how bummed out he seems, which must mean he really wants to become one badly. And if that's the case, there must be other options besides Chicago. Maybe it'd take turning over rocks he hadn't thought he'd have to look under to find another opportunity, but it sounds to me like to him it'd be worth the effort?

Molly, thanks for finding the duck story! I loved reading the other exchanges we were having around that time - getting to know each other (and sharing musical tastes) right before our babies were born, the excitement. Me not sure I wanted to be a SAHM, you wanting to but not sure just yet how you would do it. It made me smile to read back on how our friendship blossomed. I'll post more soon (mit duck tale), but I'm so behind on sleep since flying all day yest'day on just 1 hr of sleep. I was overtired, but still couldn't sleep more than 5 hrs last night. I hope to do better than that now.

Oh Erin! I was feeling bad for your dh, until I read how he's acting towards Ky. I hope it's something like an ear infection causing that and it's easily resolved. Poor kid.

I'm glad PR is nice so far Myles! We miss you!!

So glad you are having a good time in PR Myles! I am so jealous and wish I were there too.

DH is too old to be a firefighter. He is 39 and will be 40 in September. To be a firefighter in most localities you have to be under the age of 38 to apply. This is a special circumstance because DH took the firefighter exam in 1995 in Chicago after he got out of college and someone sued stating that the CFD used discriminatory practices to exclude black applicants from going further in the process so all 6000 black applicants from 1995 were given the opportunity to come back recently because CFD lost the lawsuit and now the city has to pay a settlement and offer the 111 open positions they have available to those who took the test in 1995. DH has been extremely excited about this because it was a dream of his to be a firefighter since he was a boy and he remembered being told that he didn't make the cut. He got a score of 88 and even though everyone who scored above 65 passed, CFD created a category of "highly qualified" applicants that scored 89 and above, which caused DH to be left out and he remembers being really upset (probably like he is acting now but on an elevated level since he has really calmed down over the years) back then when he was notified of this. It is a weird case IMO and it is funny to me because it is actually based on a case of white firefighters who sued CFD also claimining discrimination due to not being promoted even though they scored higher on a written exam. During that case CFD argued that the test were not pertinent to the job, which allowed an opening for this case. Ironically the white firefighters won their suit as well back in the 90s and got a settlement and so both the white firefighters and the black applicants won their case. I don't understand why they just wouldn't do a random lottery of applicants who pass the test like they do in my hometown for firefighter positions and promote based on job performance, it is just Chicago I guess. I have four relatives who are firefighters in my hometown and one of them is rather high up. He said he wished they had a higher cut off age, there it is 35 and not 38, otherwise he would have wanted DH to apply since he is still in good physical condition and has the mindset (my uncle called it the crazy trait) to be a firefighter as he says it takes a lot to train people to run inside a burning building instead of running away from it.

They have a lot of fire inspector positions available in Chicago that my DH was worried he would be put into if he did get in. They work a regular work week Mon-Fri and it is kind of a desk job but DH didn't want to do that unless that was the only thing that they were offering. He would rather run in a burning building and save lives, which is admirable but I would rather he do a desk job for safety.

DH considered trying to apply to be a firefighter in my home town because their largest class is starting to retire (the class of 1980) and we could just move to OH (which my mom would be thrilled about) but he is too old. He has a friend who is a regional manager for CSX so he always said if he didn't get the job he would just ask his friend to refer him for a job with CSX either here in Atlanta or anywhere in IL or OH or even PA so he is looking into that now.

Here is some info about the case in Chicago though, it has been semi-big news since last summer.
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 03-01-2012 at 07:26 AM.

I'm sorry you haven't been sleeping well, Mandy. I know you miss your kitty. It was rough when we had to put our cat down. It gets better. Still sad, but better.

Erin, I hope Ky's ears are okay! Sorry DH has been like that though. I can imagine DH being the same way. He gets in a funk easily and doesn't often tell me what's going on.

Oh goodness Erin. That's ridiculous that it took that lawsuit to get them to consider those guys. And heck, I even think the age cut off is ridiculous too. There are many 50-60 year olds that are in better physical shape than 20-somethings. Especially now as our society gets fatter. :/ I think physical fitness should trump age, but what do I know?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Hey everyone, sorry to be checking in so briefly. I have been reading but obviously not replying. Loving all the cute kid sayings. Sad for Ky and hope the hearing thing is not too bad.

On the bright side, I recently read a science article that said it is actually better for kids to have one parent who is more sympathetic and one parent who is less sympathetic--better than having two sympathetic parents, and obviously better than having two unsympathetic parents. Speculation is that it provides some balance and shows them that not everyone reacts the same way to problems so it ends up giving them better coping skills as adults. A tiny bit of consolation for those times when our dhs act in ways that are less than mature.

We are still devastated by our virus. DH is the latest victim. He has been laid low for the past two days. I had a miserable 24 hours and stayed in bed all day, dozing on and off. My mom helped a lot. Unfortunately, I had to drag myself out of bed to take DD to get her stitches removed. DD yelled at the RN doing it (a completely baffling non-sequitur to her), "I do NOT want to be a nurse when I grow up!" Now DH is in bed, shivering and feverish, and his boss has been calling him and he has been refusing his phone calls because when he mentioned that everyone here (yeah, that was me) was up all night vomiting at work on Tuesday his boss just nodded and said, "Uh-huh." He was mad that his boss didn't even acknowledge it and called him on it later and then his boss apologized later and said sorry, yada yada, family first and all that jazz, but DH is still pissed.

Ugh! I hope everyone is better soon Lydia!

That's interesting about the parenting. I think DH and I both have our moments of being sympathetic and unsympathetic but we try to be consistent about what battles we pick. I gotta say things have both improved and gotten worse since we got the dog. It's been hard to teach Josh how to behave around the dog but it's been easier to let more things go since Josh isn't the center of attention all the time. I think there are some jealousy issues, though, similar to what it might be like if we had another kid.

I so hope this virus leaves your house soon L. Ugh....! I hate it when everyone gets sick one after the other and it seems you've been battling some illnesses for a while.

I have read similar things about having one sympathetic parent and the other less sympathetic and I do agree it is good to have experiences with opposite viewpoints and honestly DH's "tough" thoughts don't really bother me, it is just the favortism I see. He can be harder on Ky but still have equal expectations with Elle IMO as well. For example, if Ky doesn't speak to him in a certain tone of voice and if he doesn't use specific words, he will get upset with Ky and sometimes will even punish him with a timeout because he "has told him before" how to speak to him. He has done this with Ky for a long time, since he was younger than Elle is now even but he does not do this with Elle at all. Also he NEVER lets Ky back talk him, I mean NEVER! He used to want to spank him all the time for this. He still blows off the deep end if Ky even asks him a question in response to something DH asks him to do. Once DH checked Ky's homework and marked a question wrong and Ky told him very respectfully that the answer that he (Ky) put was correct, that he'd checked it, and DH made him go to his room as a punishment for talking back. I checked the homework and Ky's answer was correct. It is just stuff like that that bothers me and I feel Ky will not want to talk to DH about anything eventually. He already hardly talks to him about important things that are bothering him because he doesn't think DH cares about it. DH is a wuss with Elle though, she is outright disrespectful to him and back talks all the time and just speaks to him in a very disrespectful way, bragging and teasing and such and even yelling at him sometimes. She was getting outrageous with the yelling and I had to start handling her yelling at DH since he was ignoring it so she has stopped now when I'm at home but Ky says she yells when I'm not home LOL!

But I just think he is setting himself up for problems, different problems with both kids. Honestly I am much more of a harda$$ with the kids than he is. So more than likely, I would be the not so soft parent since I handle all discipline, I dish out chores, I upset Ky quite a bit because I make him do things that he doesn't want to do. DH is just erratic IMO and inconsistent. When he is in a good mood, he ignores most things, when he is in a depressed mood he is quick to anger and crazy and just says and does ridiculous things but only to Ky and myself, not to Elle.

Erin

Kate, can you get Josh to help with training (I LOVED his grocery list idea!)? Dogs don't like to listen to kids as much...see them more on their level. But I would not give Bo (is it Joe yet? ) a treat unless he sits first...make him work for it and try to have Josh giving the treats as much as possible.
    Does Bo sit on command? If worried about too many treats, you can also use dog food kibble. In fact our class wanted us to hand feed at least one meal a day using the food to teach sit, down, stay (we are still working on stay!).

Bridget, how goes it with DBF?

Hi Myles, hope you continue to have a good vacation!

L, that sounds awful. I hope that the bug goes away quickly!

Erin, sorry to hear that things aren't looking positive for that job for DH. I hope Ky just has some ear wax or something.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Erin - I hope that Ky's hearing is just a blocked up ear and can be fixed up quick.
    Lydia - good health to you and your family as soon as possible.
    Kate - that's sweet what Josh said.
    Have fun in PR, Mylah! I've never been but I am sure it is beautiful and amazing.
    Glad your job is going so well, Chrissy! It sounds like a really energizing group of people to be around, which is great for you right now.

I'm good. The gallery I was in dropped me for lack of sales, but I'm not too sad. They are moving in May anyway, so it would have happened sooner or later. And they just weren't selling, so I was surprised that they kept me there for so long. But as an artist, it is really affirming to be in a gallery. Oh well.

I am offering some workshops for Easter, but that's about it. I'm really kind of closing up shop on the eggs and it feels like the right thing to do now. I am really enjoying the graphic design class and am planning on going full time next year to try to bust it out sooner. My dh has sort of agreed to this idea. AND: my professor runs a fine art silkscreen business. We did a tour yesterday and I signed up for an internship/volunteering and I hope I can do that. I would learn a lot about fine art silkscreen, which could only help my own work. They sponsor artists from around the world to come and stay for a week and use their facilities and employees to print their work, so if I can volunteer I would be exposed to all kinds of amazing art and would learn about color theory, color separations, professional practices, etc.

Anyway, it all seems to be a happening with a pleasant synchronicity so nothing feels wrong or overwhelming.

My breathing stuff calmed down again, so that is another nice thing to not have to worry about.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

And for those of you who are not sleeping, here's an interesting article that says that 8 consecutive hours of sleep is a modern invention! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

L, I hope you all feel better soon and that no one else gets sick or injured for a good long while. It seems like you've had more than your fair share of ailments

Erin, that would get me mad too. I hate favoritism on any level. I really hate it when a parent does it.

Katy, I'm sad for you that you were dropped from the gallery. Bummer.

Kate-I have no idea about how to get boys & dogs to behave. I think Harley & Conner bring out the best and worst in each other. If one is in trouble, the other is likely not far behind!

I had a good day of substitute teaching; the kids didn't run me over like they would any other substitute since they already know me from volunteering. I have to say, though, that I haven't missed 10 year old attitude compared to the 5 year old admiration that I usually get! When working with the 5 year olds, I find my biggest challenge is calming tears when their feelings get hurt by each other; with the 10 year olds, it's just getting them to even listen at all. I'd much rather here, "Miss, I love you" than "Why do we have to learn this?" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I had a good day of substitute teaching; the kids didn't run me over like they would any other substitute since they already know me from volunteering. I have to say, though, that I haven't missed 10 year old attitude compared to the 5 year old admiration that I usually get! When working with the 5 year olds, I find my biggest challenge is calming tears when their feelings get hurt by each other; with the 10 year olds, it's just getting them to even listen at all. I'd much rather here, "Miss, I love you" than "Why do we have to learn this?" LOL
    I know how 'bad' my girls were at that age, I can only imagine a roomful of them! They do like to question everything!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Glad you had a good day. Ten year olds would be hard for me. The wee ones are my area of expertise and I'm a little lost from about 7 on. Savana came home from school last week and said they had a substitute. She said no one listened to her and she felt so sorry for her. She said, "Mom, being a substitute teacher is a really hard job." So true!

Erin, I hate that your dh is erratic. So is mine. He's all over the place and the kids don't know what to think half the time. He makes ridiculous comments (only to me now and not in front of Kai) about how Kai acts like a little girl and he's not very tough. It bugs the heck out of me. I really think you just have to be missing something to think that boys need to act a certain way and girls another. Brainwash, hogwash. What? Because the Target toy aisle says so?

Sawyer has an awful cold and can hardly nurse. My left boob is hard and sore and I have the chills so I'm eating garlic because I know my body and it's headed for mastitis. Dbf is doing ok. He's a little annoying but managing ok. He's got morphine pills and percasets (sp?). He keeps acting like he's so so so so sorry he can't help me more and just makes me lol because it's not like he's overly helpful in the first place. This morning he was trying to empty the dishwasher and I'm like "GO SIT DOWN". He's just in my way and trying to be a hero even though he was home for hours in the morning before he left for the hospital and didn't do one thing up there to contribute to cleaning. I went up at naptime and cleaned for an hour just to catch up. Weirdo.

Erin, I selfishly want you to move to Chi town so I can meet you.

Jennifer, Bo will sit on command sometimes. Not often at all. That's a good idea to use dry food as treats. His name is still Bo I asked DH last night if he wanted to change it and he said "No, I think I'm getting the hang of calling him the right name" and not long after, he called Bo Bruno. IDK. I feel like whatever we call him, it will take getting used to.
    Glad your sub teaching day went well Ash!
    Sorry the gallery dropped you Katy, but it sounds like you're taking it all in stride.

Oh Bridget, your dbf makes me laugh!!!

So Bridget, does the GF stuff taste good?

I have to admit I have thought of trying that for a while now....I have always had a few of the symptoms. But I really love my bread and pasta. I'm not opposed to making stuff and like cooking.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

all.

Myles, I am SO jealous you are in PR right now.

DH has been offered a chance to spend a week in Vegas cooking at a conference. It would be working for the chef who did the training he went to this fall, and it would be unpaid but they would pay hotel, gas, and food for the week. I'm tempted to take a week off of work and go but a week of dogsitters is pricey and I don't want to use up all my personal leave in case I want to use it for the RE. So I probably won't go. I'm excited for DH, though - there are some very famous people (including Al Gore) that will be at this conference and DH's group will be in charge of food for the break room where the speakers wait before going on stage. It's too bad, because it's right before the end of my school year. If it were later I wouldn't have to worry about work.

Today was crazy. We had a father show up for a meeting today with a little girl in tow. We had done the eval two weeks ago and the little boy we were testing came with his mother. I got the impression that the father did not live in the home, and the mother listed four boys in the family. So here is Dad with a little girl but not the little boy (and little boy had no sisters that we knew of). We got through the whole meeting, and then the dad went to use the bathroom and we were talking to the little girl. We asked her what her name was and then my partner said something about the little boy - we'll call him Billy. Little girl said, "Who's Billy?" So she had never heard of him! We are assuming she is the dad's daughter - he is black and she was mixed, very fair skinned, resembled the dad. Little boy's mom is also black. Girl is also four - and "Billy" is 3 with a full sibling who is 6. The six year old has the dad's first and last name so they are both his kids. So we're imagining he has a second family that doesn't know about the first family? At least, the kids don't. Oh, and I asked the dad if he wanted me to mail him a second copy of the report and he said to just mail it to the mother's house. So he didn't want it coming in the mail...

That's crazy Mandy! Wonder if he has a secret life or something...That just creeps me out.

Mandy, that is really weird. Something like that and I would think about it all the time.

About the names, my parents named me Shelley even though my sister is named Sherri. Oh wow you have no idea how often our names were mixed up. People will sometimes call me Sherri, not even knowing I have sister with that name.
    When I was little my best friend and I LOVED LOVED the name Erin, we were both going to name our daughters Erin. When we played house, we would take turns being "Erin" Now she has a daughter named Claire and I have a son. So no Erin for us.

It seems our winter is over, we have had to run the a/c all week. blech. I was loving having the doors and windows open, but it's just too warm and humid already. Whenever we are outside, G's face gets so red and flushed.

I am so excited, next month my nephew and his wife and their new little baby are coming to visit us!!! I cannot wait to see that cuddly little baby girl, she's 4 months old. And also, my dad and step-mom will come down for a week to see us all. We haven't seen my dad in a year, and my nephew moved 2 years ago. It will be a nice family time.

Mylah, enjoy your vacay!
    L, dang virus go away
    Erin, sorry about your dh possibly not getting the job. I hope Ky's ear issue gets better.
    Molly and Mandy, hope you get some sleep!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Family get togethers are great! I can't believe it's that warm anywhere already. I'm jealous! I've never been too hot in my life. Not even at 100+ with 90-some percent humidity in SC. I LOVED it! Drove around with my sunroof and windows open

Sherry and Shelley would have been way too much for me! oh-my-goodness!!! It's cute though.

Mandy-that's just too bizarre for words. I can't think of any other scenario except the one you suspected for all that. How strange that he'd take his 'secret' (?) daughter to that appointment though. She's obviously old enough to talk. Soon, she's going to be asking uncomfortable questions.

I do know one guy in my community that bounced between two women and had multiple children with both of them. I can't remember how many altogether, but he had a few sets from each mom that were born within months (if not weeks) of each other. The moms knew about each other but I'm not sure if the kids were totally clear on what was going on when they were really little. By the time they were teens though, they knew the score.

Yeah, that struck me as really strange, too. She heard and could understand everything - she was a smart little thing! Why would he bring her if he were hiding something? Maybe she was his niece or something - but if so you'd think she'd know who her cousin was.