Page 963 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 463863913953961962963964965973101310631463 ... LastLast
Results 28,861 to 28,890 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I sometimes start to call Cash by Travis' name and end up calling him "Trash!"
    Poor Cash! My parents, well especially Dad used to do that all the time.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 02-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My girls names end in the ee sound...Bobbie, Jesi, and Sydney. That doesn't bother me. But I considered Jennifer for Sydney and I thought Jesi and Jenny were too similar sounding. I the name Jenny. Just love it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Love the stories about the names. DH and I actually have the same middle name, Jean. Mine is the female Jean (like blue jeans) and his is the French Jean. (like Jon)

We are having some confusion with Bo's name. My MIL has a dog named Bruno but she calls him Boo most of the time. Sometimes we get confused between "Bo" and "Boo". Sometimes we call Bo Josh.

I posted a few new pictures in NM/MIG if anyone wants to take a look!
    http://americanpregnancy.org/forums/...post1058578487
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-28-2012 at 12:32 PM.

I never even noticed that all your girls names end in the same sound, Chrissy. I guess it's because they all end in different letters.

I have and Aunt Patricia and Uncle Pat. Pat n Patricia.

I remember when dbf had his last wrist operation he was very drugged up when he came home and was driving me nuts because he would not stop stop chattering on and on and following me around the house. He is like that normally, anway so add some narcotics and he's unbearable! I warned my dad about it because my dad is a very mellow quiet man and dbf just talks circles around him when we are all together. Sometimes I can tell me dad is getting annoyed but he'd never want to show it on purpose. He's very kind. He did give an exaggerated moan when I told him dbf will likely be super talkative all the way home. lol
    I'm sure we will be fine but really most of what I need from him around here is simply because he has ARMS. And I often need an extra set!

DH had to be drugged up for some procedure like a year ago and when I was driving him home he demanded I take him by his favorite pizza place and get a pizza to go. Just saying, be prepared.

People are funny when drugged up. Last time my dad was, he was FLIRTING with the nurses. Except my dad is NOT a flirt. He's been with my mom since he was 21 yrs old...and is a very shy very quiet not social kind of man. Even in family gatherings. He will talk to me about things like music, travel, legos, weather and stuff for the house or the dogs. He's know my DH for 14 years and doesn't really talk much to him (and my DH is quiet too).

kate, maybe you can change up Bo's name a bit. Does he respond to that name and seem to know it? Like maybe go with Body or Brody. But really you could change it.
    My girl isn't even 6 months yet and responds to Molly, Mollster, Poogle, Poogie, Poogs and Cosmo LOL Well she knows she's NOT Cosmo but will come if we call Cosmo.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I just told him that I am going to confine him to his room if he starts walking around like a lunatic.

I need to vent for a minute. A few months ago (sixish) I got a visit from the county saying they were auditing all of the area daycares to compare attendance records with hours reported to be payed for families receiving childcare assistance. I gave them 3 months worth of records and they told me that if if the hours didn't match in their favor that I'd owe money. A few weeks later I got a letter stating everything was accurate we were all good. Some time passed and I received a check from them for a child and it was 20 hours short. So I called and the very rude woman I spoke to, after making sure that I knew it was my error, and that it was going to very, very difficult for her to correct, asked me to photcopy the attendance sheet from the week in question so she could make the correction and send me my check. So I did.
    Two weeks later, same two women show up and they want 3 more months of my records since the sheet I sent in "had crossed off times on it and they are not comfortable with that" They showed me the sheet where I'd changed an 8:30to a 7:30. Totally a careless error on my part. I'm not above it. It happens. They were very accusatory and I felt about *this* big. Those two women probably make alone at least four times the amount the government pays me to care for children. And I know there has been some fraud in my state from so called childcare providers inventing addresses and collecting money. So I feel that when these things happen, they start nitpicking small tiem daycare owners like me so that when they get questioned about how people get away with fraud they can show how hard they've been working. I was on the verge of tears when they left. I didn't waiver while they were here and remained professional but when they left, yeah, I was upset.
    Every day I have been wondering if I am going to ever get paid for those twenty hours. This was the first week in december that the mistake was made. They finally sent me an envelope today, returning all of my records and stating, again, that everything checked out fine. But STILL NO CHECK.
    Now I have called again and am quite sure they will not call me back because they never ever do. So I'll have to keep calling and calling and then get treated like crap. I have no idea if it's like this everywhere but in my area the state and county welfare agency workers are just straight up biatches. I think it's a terrible job to be in if you have no compassion. They have made more than one of my daycare moms cry. I am so bothered by all of this. I wish I could just forget being a licensed provider as I know none of my families even care but then I cannot take families that need assistance and that's almost my whole lot.
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Jennifer, sometimes I call him Joe. It sounds the same, but it's different enough from Boo and Bruno so that I'm not calling him all sorts of names before I call him the right one . I'm afraid if I tell DH though he'll accuse me of just wanting to name him after one of the New Kids. No really...that's not my intention at all... I thought maybe if we change it to something that rhymes he won't notice the change but it'll be easier for us.

Bridget, I'm sorry they made you feel like crap

Thanks, Kate.
    I remember when we got our dog. His name was Gizmo. We changed it to Koa. It was no problem at all. I asked on the boards here and everyone told me it would be fine.

Bridget, that's terrible. I'm so sorry for that.

I've considered doing some private therapy for kids who qualify through the state for EI or long term care. I've heard it can take 6 months or more to be paid for the work you do, which has basically talked me out of even bothering. Such a shame as most people don't want to work for them, so even when kids qualify they don't get services because there aren't enough people to do the therapy.

Love the pictures of Bo! I think Bo is a very cute name for a dog.

ETA: When we got Nero, the shelter had named him Niles. I brought him home (I picked him out before DH and I were married) and when DH first saw him he said, "We can't call him Niles. That's no name for a dog. We should call him Nero." And we never considered another name! It didn't take N long to adjust to the new name at all.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-28-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Bridget, that's simply horrible. Our county social services is just like that. When I still worked for mental health and they were talking about the new building and how it would be attached to the social services office, we'd all look at each other and wrinkle our noses. Even as coworkers (we all worked for the same county) we hated calling social services on behalf of our clients. I hated it even more when a social services worker would call us because they never had a release of information and every single one of them know there had to be one before we could talk to them. Believe me, they talked as horrible to us as they did to their 'clients'.

Of course I was laid off, but I stayed in touch with my former coworkers while I was going to college. Shortly after they moved into the new building, they were ordered, via official memo from the commissioner of health and human services, to make friends with people that worked for social services. can you imagine? They actually complained that the mental health workers were stuck up!!

Actually-they complained about a lot. We used to pay $1 a paycheck for a charity and in exchange we could wear blue jeans on Friday. We had really nice phones. We also had gorgeous, L-shaped executive desks with a nice wood finish. Social service employees complained about all those things and they were taken away from the mental health employees. To make it fair, you know.

I wish I were exaggerating.

Oh-and right after I was laid off from the county, I called to see if we'd be eligible for food stamps while I got unemployment. Even though I was mature and professional, whoever answered the phone talked down to me so much that I ended up crying. I fixed her ass. I called the legislature directly and complained. In turn, the head of health and human services called me at home that evening and apologized. He was able to tell me that, no, we weren't eligible based on our income. I didn't think so, but I knew we were pretty stinkin close and that's all I wanted the person that answered the phone to tell me was what the income guidelines were for a family of 5. I used to answer that question about our sliding scale fee at mental health all the time. The idea to talk down to or belittle anyone with such a question had never crossed my mind.

Yes, Chrissy. That is exactly what it is. They talk down to people. I hate that.

They suck. I don't know why people that don't want to help even work in such a position. They're not all like that. Just a good chunk of them.

Conner has gone potty again He had a couple 'accidents' but taking his toys away seems to do the trick. Tonight Rich told him he could have his toys as soon as he pooped and he did it pretty quick. Normally, Conner poops pretty late at night (between 9 and 10) so I didn't think this would be a good idea, but I wasn't here to stop him and I have to say...maybe he was right. I haven't admitted that to dh yet though because I want to see if it works again. Rich & Conner get home roughly an hour before I do and Conner had gone on his potty before I got home at 5:30.

Cool!

Yay! I'm glad he's going potty more. I hope it continues.

I don't know if we'll change Bo's name. When we adopted our cats we kept all their names except one, who was named Chip. we changed that one to George. Mona and Happy (the cats we still have) we already named that. But they were kittens, and cats rarely come when they're called anyway

I'm always getting calling Harley Conner. Or Cramer Conner. Or Conner Cramer. I've done it to the girls too.

My brother will tease my mom mercilessly about having the "Ti-Chrits" Because she'd often start to say Tim, but then switch to Chrissy and it would sound like "Ti-Chris"

Bridget that is awful. I wish people who go into those jobs want to help.

Ok so I think that it would be REALLY cute to call Bo Joey. He looks like a Joey to me. And you are right that Bo and Joe sound really close.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Our cat, Apple was named Anna when we picked her up. Savana changed it to Apple. Then we got Pawprint and she was nameless even though she was 4 months old and lived in a house with a family. I thought that was odd.

I confess I do not want to be bugged about cell phone issues any longer. Is it really so hard to pull your laptop out and Google the answer? Heck, it's a smartphone. There's a web browser built right in there for ya.

In my irritation, I re-found a humorous site I'd long forgotten about. Let Me Google That For You http://lmgtfy.com/ Awesome!

Haha yeah. But I think it is kind of sad that we have to think twice about asking an actual person for help because of Google. It makes me refrain from asking most of my mundane questions like "you know that chick who was in that movie, what tv show was she in?" because I can just google it (with more certain terms of course)

I'd rather ask people for advice than a webpage, in most cases. I know I could find loads of information about dogs, and child raising at Google but I'd rather ask people I know and trust. Like you guys

Yeah but the questions I'm being asked I have to Google. I don't know all there is to know about every smartphone in this house.

So sorry the county is giving you a hard time Bridget. It if helps any, they are similar here in GA as well and frequently cite my daycare provider for stupid things. I found out today when I was dropping Elle off, that they were going to give the kids poptarts for breakfast and even though I am not all anti-poptart, I don't think they should be given for breakfast and I don't think that the kids should get 2 of them. Every time I give one of my kids poparts, they will get half of one without frosting. I told our caregiver not to give Elle poptarts and that I would go home and make her a green shake for breakfast (I live down the street from the daycare) and that I would appreciate getting a menu in advance so that I can make her breakfast on days that they give poptarts. This was after she told me that she partcipates in the state's food program and that they are REQUIRED to give the kids certain things like white bread and poparts, both of which we do not normally eat and I don't let the kids eat on a regular basis. She said they could lose funding for the food program if they didn't feed the kids those things. Most of the kids there now are 3 and 4 year olds and I told her that it wasn't healthy or reasonable to give kids poptarts for breakfast. She agreed with me and made oatmeal and eggs instead but that they had gotten cited once because the state showed up during lunch and their menu on that day stated that the kids were suppose to eat some sandwiches for lunch with white bread and they had given the kids 100% wheat bread instead, thinking it wasn't a big deal. They now have a low rating on our state's website for daycare ratings due to giving the kids wheat instead of white bread.

My mom also had a ton of issues in OH with the county daycare compliance department. They would just cite ridiculous things and like you if there was an issue with them not sending payment for a child, then they would take forever to pay, sometimes 3-6 months. She actually works for a daycare run by Head Start now instead of running her own business because it is less of a headache.

Kate, in your situation I may consider changing Bo's name. I think he looks like a Joe/Joey as well and that is a cute name for a cute dog. I like Bo but it makes me think of the president's dog and like I said I am weird about names and wouldn't want my dog to be named the same as the president's dog.

My older brother and four of my cousins all have names that start with an "A" and since my name sounds like it starts with an "A" everyone in our family was always confusing our names. My grandma used to crack me up the most as she would try to call me and say "Adri-Air-Ash-An....Shoot, you know what your name is!! Come here!" I would be cracking up. My brother is Adrian and I have 3 girl cousins named Ashley, Andrea, and Alicia. Since I am an Erin, we were all pretty close in names. I also have an older cousin who died as a infant named Erica and we still talked about her and I always have felt a closeness to her since she was the only cousin whose name was similar to mine even though I don't remember her.

Erin

Erin, that doesn't even make sense that they got cited for serving wheat bread. WTF?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Bridget your story makes me SO MAD. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I thought it was bad when my neighbor that runs a daycare had a surprise visit and was sited because a ketchup bottle had tipped over in her fridge and the top had popped up a little and there was a tiny splatter of ketchup on her shelf. If you look her up in the NYS database, it will say she's been 'sited' for not being in compliance. That is the sort of thing. It makes it so you cannot trust the database because it doesn't spell out what they were sited for, just that they were later in compliance. For all anyone knows, she could have smacked a child because there's no differentiation between something like that and severe noncompliance! So how does a parent look at that and determine which daycare providers to stay away from?

I don't know, Chrissy. Is there a number a parent can call to find out what the citation is for?

We were outside with Bo just now and Josh was off by himself for a minute and I turned around and he was at our cat's gravestone, talking to him It was so sad and touching. He said I love you and told him we had a new dog so not to worry if he hears barking.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I don't know, Chrissy. Is there a number a parent can call to find out what the citation is for?

We were outside with Bo just now and Josh was off by himself for a minute and I turned around and he was at our cat's gravestone, talking to him It was so sad and touching. He said I love you and told him we had a new dog so not to worry if he hears barking.
    Bless his little heart!

No, there's nothing. I mean, if the daycare provider was abusive I'm sure they'd lose their license, but there's no way to distinguish between someone who was found with garbage all over their kitchen and someone who had one bottle tip over and spill in their fridge. To me, they're vastly different scenarios and as a parent I'd go with the ketchup spill before I'd want someone with garbage or fleas all over. It's not the only citation my neighbor had either, but they were all just as mundane. One was a new child's mother hadn't brought an emergency set of cloths. The daycare is supposed to have a set of clothes for each child packed in a bag near an exit in case they have to leave in an emergency. They don't make any allowances at all, so a good provider can look really bad on that database. But if you know those things warrant a 'write up' then a bad provider can look as good as a good one. If that makes sense. There's no 'levels' of guilt or whatever.