Page 961 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 461861911951959960961962963971101110611461 ... LastLast
Results 28,801 to 28,830 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I just had a listen to the hoi toiders and they sound just like my family who I would call Ozark hill billies. People love how my mom talks. She says stuff like "cheer" for "chair" "lack" for "like" and "tar" for "tire."

We're trying to stay away from people food-DH really has an aversion to feeding people food to dogs (he has a lot of food-related squeamishness like sharing food or forks or anything like that).

How long do everyone's dogs sleep at night? We figured out that Bo has only been sleeping about 4 hours a night (which means that's about how much we're getting, too) He naps a lot during the day though.

L, you're such a kind, giving person. I'm sure you've touched that mailman very deeply and probably gave him much comfort that will help get him through. I hope he finds happiness soon. He sounds like a really nice guy. The kind that is very rare.

Ash-I didn't even consider that your mother drove around, much less with you kids, when you talked about your mom drinking. I remember vividly how bad it was to watch Kim falling apart-and she was distant from me. Actually, at the end I had really pulled away a lot because she wasn't acting like herself. I was able to have one nice afternoon with her the week before she died. I'll treasure that memory forever because she was just being her nice, sweet self. We were talking about my pregnancy and whether I'd have a boy or girl. She gave me some maternity clothes and newborn things. We looked at the room that was going to be Adrianna's and she talked about her plans for redoing that.

It's funny now that I look back and compare those experiences with recent years with Rich. I didn't see any parallels, but that's probably because I was in the middle of the circle rather than somewhat on the outside looking in.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy, that is so sad.

L, I have seen that link about what English sounds like to non-English speakers. I actually think there are several different versions depending on what language was spoken by the person who made it.

I was a linguistics minor, actually. I considered majoring in linguistics before I found speech pathology. Job opportunities are pretty limited for linguistics, though, so I know I made the right choice. In fact, there was a girl with a PhD in linguistics who went into the speech pathology master's program while I was there because she felt her degree was a dead end for her. One of my linguistics classes showed a video - I think from PBS? - that talked about all the different accents in the US and I know that island was one of them. It was really striking when contrasted with the variety of US accents. I wish I knew what that program was called because I'd love to watch it again.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

http://accent.gmu.edu/. It's an interesting project.

Mandy, is this the show? http://www.pbs.org/speak/about/guide/
    Last edited by Suja; 02-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    http://accent.gmu.edu/. It's an interesting project.

Mandy, is this the show? http://www.pbs.org/speak/about/guide/
    I'm not sure. It sounds similar but said the DVD and video would be available in 2005. The show I watched (on video) was years before that based on when and where I was taking certain classes. Now I want to see that, though! And the accent project is cool.

One of my speech professors was involved in developing computer synthesized speech based on MRI imaging of the vocal tract. It was pretty amazing what he was doing.

This is a fun article/video, too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7509572.stm
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm starting to develop the Minnesota accent after growing up with more a Chicago one. Not as strong locally as it is in the movie Fargo though. I do a lot of Oh yeah's. And sure's.

L that was so nice of you and I bet that made such a difference to him. I don't know our post person....our boxes are at the street so they just drive by and I'm always at work when that happens.

The pancakes turned out pretty well. I like French toast better though. But nice for something different. I'm not a breakfast eater...I don't like bacon, eggs, sausages. I like french toast and waffles BUT they tend to make me sick. Once of the few things that still does and that is with going light on the syrup and I buy light syrup (suger free is a not an option).

Kate, give it some time. Going from who knows what to a shelter to your home is a big change for Bo. It took a while for us to sleep through the night....of course our girls came home as puppies and thus physically could not go all night without potty breaks. Now Molly is 5.5 months old and for a while now has been sleeping from about 10:30 to 7am, sometimes even 9 or 9:30 to between 7-8am. I don't know what Cosmo does as she's not been in a kennel at night for over 6 yrs and I know once in a while she potties in the night as it's waiting for me in the morning but I think most nights she sleeps through. She sleeps with me in the bed. And with DH in the bed during the day.

What you could try doing is keeping Bo up more during the day for a few days and get him super tired for at night until he gets the hang of the new house. A tired dog is a good dog.

My MILs springer is a major PITA and rarely lets her sleep through the night. She gave in to him all the time for years so he whines all.the.time and is a major brat. He's 13 yrs old....thankfully because as much as we would want her to move in, we do not want him.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I love that site, Mandy! I just listened to a few people read that paragraph and when I heard the AR lady say "Winsdee" for Wednesday, that made me all homesick! And I could tell the difference in the southern accent from the TX guy to the AR lady since I'm from there!

I love that "what English sounds like" link. Then I got lost in videos of British stars (such as the Harry Potter cast) using American accents. People who can do accents amaze me.

Erin! I have to share this. I doubt you remember but a long time ago there was a thread where someone was upset their daycare provider let their son chew on a chicken bone. At the time I thought that sounded crazy and most people in the thread thought so too. You chimed in and said how you all did that all the time and I remember thinking hmmmm? Because I was just "getting to know you" then and I was intrigued by your ideas and sense of humor. Since then I have also learned so much about the health benifits of bones and broth and cartilage and all that I thought was nasty at the time. ANYWAY, today I was cooking cornish game hens and Sawyer was squawking. I said to myself, I am going to give my my baby a chicken leg like Erin's family. lol! And then I thought to myself how the heck do I know that and I remembered the long ago thread....and that chicken bone kept him happy for 45 minutes!
    Ahh, I learn so much from y'all!

A few times today I was like, wheres the Poogie? Went looking for her and realized that she put herself to bed in her kennel! Finally after only 3-3.5 months she's started going in her house on her own to chill out. Just a month ago she would have followed us around whining when she got tired until we made her take a nap.
    Normally when DH sleeps during the day she goes in for a nap also. But he was home all Friday, we were home most of Saturday and again most of today. On top of it, got a new toy today and new bones yesterday. Poor baby is exhausted.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, aww!

Bridget, did the bone have meat on it or just the bone?
    Josh loves chicken wings and drumsticks and he always wants to eat the cartilage at the ends Makes me nauseous.

Chrissy, how sad about your cousin. That poor little girl growing up without her mother. It makes me want to squeeze my boy a little closer tonight. Addiction is very sad. I have a brother that is a functioning alcoholic He's just never willing to admit he has a problem and get help.

Katy, you should definitely go back to stand-up. And send us the video. You are so brave to do that. I am the biggest chicken when it comes to public speaking. I dreaded my speech class so much. Cold sweats here.

Kate, good stance on no people food! I will not allow future dogs to have people food. A begging dog is so annoying. My brother's dogs used to beg, and then they would walk over to you with slobber hanging from their mouths, whichith they would wipe on your pants. gross. The dog we sit for, is never allowed people food and so he never begs, it's really nice.

I don't have an accent, just a "normal" sounding American accent. I grew up in Idaho and Alaska, there aren't really accents there. And despite what people might think Alaskans DO NOT sound like Sarah Palin. She's a freak of nature. I hate when I tell people I am from Alaska, I STILL get people mentioning Sarah Palin to me. gag. When I was little, I broke myself from pronouncing wash cloth "wosh cloth"....but I still call soda, pop....a pickup truck is just a pickup...and a glove box is a jockey box...part of that might be me keeping my mother's lingo alive in my heart.

I love the South Africans accents. I wanted G to have an English or SA accent but I don't see that happening. Not unless we win the powerball.

Bridget, when I was doing baby led weaning with G, the books showed babies chewing on bones. I never could bring myself to do it. Not to mention the fact I didn't have a lot of bones laying around the house.

Okay, it's time for The Amazing Race!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

My mom loved The Amazing Race! Dbf and I used to laugh about how she'd always say, "Did you see Amazing Race last night?" and i would say, "No, mom. I don't watch that show." And she'd just go on, "Oh, but did you see how they are in New York..." and just go on and on talking about the people like we knew what she was talking about. She did the same thing with American Idol. Man, she was so funny.

Oh, the bone had chicken on it. There were a few parts in there that I knew he couldn't contend with so I just kept my eye on him and when I saw him get it I just held out my hand and said, "Give it to mama" and he spit it into my hand. He's good about that. It's funny because the daycare kids will always quickly pick up little things they see and bring them to me so Sawyer doesn't put it in his mouth. He has seen it happen so much that now he will crawl into the kitchen, find something I missed with the broom and then come find me to bring it to me! He's all, "mom" in his abrupt matter and sticks it in my face. So funny.

Today I took Savana and Kai grocery shopping while Sawyer napped at home with dbf. We were in the produce section and I could sense two employess watching us with that "aren't those kids cute" look. Then one asked me if they could have a cookie from the bakery. I said no thank you so much for offering but no thank you. Then the other one said, "We just thought they were being so good." and I said yes, they are great and she said, "How about some jello bites then?" and i said no thank you, so nice of you to offer but we are fine. The other one says, "Ohhh, don't you think they are being so good?" Jaysus. Yes. They are being good! When we were walking away I leaned over to Savana and Kai and gave my evil witch snicker and said in my evil witch voice, "They have no idea you are naughty, naughty children!" We were laughing pretty hard.
    And i kid you not, we got up to the checkout line and the lady at the checkout asked if we wanted tootsie rolls! I said no thank you so much for asking and looked at Kai and he gave me this hilarious look like he was a devil child and I was just dying. I love Sawyer so much but it's very fun to hang out with just Savana and Kai now that they are older and we get to have inside jokes and stuff. So yeah, everyone wanted to give my children candy today and I was the evil mom who kept saying no. But I have proof here in that recipe that I posted that I made them cookies for breakfast! I even blended cream cheese and maple syrup for the inbetween cream so screw you strange town I live in!
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Oh darn, The Amazing Race is on? I've missed it.

I love that your kids laughed along with you about that Bridget. How cute!!

I think that's my favorite part about having older kids. Sure, I'm mom first, but we do have many moments like that. And now that Bobbie and Jesi are older teens, well...their jokes can be borderline crude. But funny. Today Bobbie informed me that one of their male friends thinks I'm a milf. We had a good laugh about that (maybe you had to be there?) Saturday Jesi was in her bedroom with her friend and she started yelling, "My vagina is burning!" or something like that. Rich looked at me and I was like, "I'm not going down there and getting in the middle of that!" She had dumped soup on her lap. She is always making us laugh.

I was just thinking the other day that I really like the age Josh is at where I feel like I can talk to him like a human being. Really, sometimes I have to choose my words carefully so he understands, but other times I don't give him enough credit. It cracks me up when he sings borderline inappropriate songs in the grocery store and he blows me away with his insight and ability to understand things sometimes.

I get amazed at Conner's insight sometimes too.

tonight it wasn't insight that flabbergasted me. He came out and mooned us. I want to know who taught him that!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

S. spent this afternoon throwing up, right after DD and I pulled our heart-shaped sugar cookies out of the oven. Apparently this virus has a long incubation period. Ugh. My mom was throwing up last night. I figure I'll be sick tomorrow night or the next day. And this means the twins probably picked it up at the ER, based on the timing.

I bleached the whole kitchen and could not stomach eating any cookies. S. was very curious about the whole thing, despite being sick, and wanted to know what the vomit was called and how it happened.

Bridget, your grocery store story is hilarious. Random acts of sweets never happen to us. Although our single Dad friend who comes to visit twice a month has a major sweet tooth and always has candy or chocolates around. He seriously annoyed me once about a year ago by asking me--in front of the twins--"Can they have some candy?" while giving his own son some. I said "No, they cannot, and it makes it hard on all of us if you ask right in front of them" as DD began to wail for it. Actually, I think my mom walks them down to the bank to run errands sometimes when she watches them and they get lollipops there.

I'm on fb too, if anyone wants to add me. Lisa Helms. My profile pic is similar to one in my siggy but has both kids in it.

I always feel overwhelmed when I get on here on monday morning! I never have time to get on at home on the weekends.

DS was up every hour last night. I'm freaking exhausted and my nipples feel like they are going to fall off. I hate teething!
    AKA Lisa724

I send you a request!

I don't miss those days at all.

Happy Monday Everyone! I also don't miss those days Lisa hugs to you and I hope you have an easy day today. And FWIW, I usually don't have time to get on here on weekends either. I was pretty busy this weekend battling Elle's hair. I did about 200 braids in her hair and about 500 beads for our trip to Disney a couple weeks ago and so I had to take them down. When I was braiding them before we left I already was dreading taking them down since it takes about 2-4 hours to take them down but only 1 hour to braid them up so the undoing process is lengthy. Elle got to watch a ton of cartoons though while I did it. I think she is always asking for little braids because I let her watch PBS kids while I am working so she gets some good cartoon time in. I finally got done taking them down and washing her hair, which is another lengthy process since she still is not a fan of water on her head/face/ears/neck so I have to contend with her screaming everytime I put water on her head and when I tell her to hush, that is it just water, she says "okay" and will be calm for a minute then say "are you done yet" for about 30 minutes straight. I didn't get done until almost 10pm so she was falling asleep since I had to rebraid it, but now I won't have to deal with it for another week at least.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I totally get where the term 'empty nest' comes from. As you all know the most recent weeks/months leading up to Bobbie going off to college were really rough, but now that she's gone it really does feel 'empty' in here. It's strange when you think that I have 3 other kids at home, but that's how it is. There's this constant feeling of 'somethings missing.' For me, it's not altogether a bad feeling because it was so rough there for a while. Plus, she's close and we've been seeing her every week. But I totally get how people have a rough time when their last (or only) child leaves the house. I think it's more of an adjustment than when a couple actually has a child.
    This reminds me of my mom. She has 4 kids like you but is the opposite in gender, 3 boys, 1 girl. My youngest brother, who is 23 just moved out in August of last year but then my second youngest brother lost his job and two weeks after Chris (youngest) moved out Trenton (second youngest) moved in with his wife (who was PG and just had a baby) and his 15 month old son. Trenton and his family just moved out last week and my mom is now sad again and is actually considering letting a man move in with her from church, not a boyfriend (she says), he used to be a teacher and my older brother and I had him when he taught at our junior high. My mom admits that it is just strange and lonely being without any of her kids. She wonders when it will feel normal to not have her kids in her house. We are a large, loud family so it is difficult for her to adjust to quietness. She is even thinking of becoming a foster parent. We talk about this a lot and I also wonder how it will be for me. I imagine I will be excited to be able to go off on trips and such without having to worry about the kids, but I miss them when they are gone for a few hours so I can't imagine them not coming home every day or just seeing them once or twice a year, like my mom does with me now. Every time I talk to her she speaks of me "moving back home."

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Erin! I have to share this. I doubt you remember but a long time ago there was a thread where someone was upset their daycare provider let their son chew on a chicken bone. At the time I thought that sounded crazy and most people in the thread thought so too. You chimed in and said how you all did that all the time and I remember thinking hmmmm? Because I was just "getting to know you" then and I was intrigued by your ideas and sense of humor. Since then I have also learned so much about the health benifits of bones and broth and cartilage and all that I thought was nasty at the time. ANYWAY, today I was cooking cornish game hens and Sawyer was squawking. I said to myself, I am going to give my my baby a chicken leg like Erin's family. lol! And then I thought to myself how the heck do I know that and I remembered the long ago thread....and that chicken bone kept him happy for 45 minutes!
    Ahh, I learn so much from y'all!
    Aw, a bone eating baby is so cute!! I do remember that too! I never knew until that thread that people didn't give their babies bones to gnaw on. We always took off the gristle (sp?) so they don't choke and just let them go at it. I never knew there were any benefits to it though, we just gave them the bone so they would have something to keep them busy while we ate.

Erin

Now I want to give asher a bone to chew on! He might be a little young though, not sure. He's 9mo and has 4 teeth. We do baby led solids and he's still not a huge fan. His top teeth are still working their way down and really bothering him, so he hasn't wanted really any solids at all lately (hence the boobathon).
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    This reminds me of my mom. She has 4 kids like you but is the opposite in gender, 3 boys, 1 girl. My youngest brother, who is 23 just moved out in August of last year but then my second youngest brother lost his job and two weeks after Chris (youngest) moved out Trenton (second youngest) moved in with his wife (who was PG and just had a baby) and his 15 month old son. Trenton and his family just moved out last week and my mom is now sad again and is actually considering letting a man move in with her from church, not a boyfriend (she says), he used to be a teacher and my older brother and I had him when he taught at our junior high. My mom admits that it is just strange and lonely being without any of her kids. She wonders when it will feel normal to not have her kids in her house. We are a large, loud family so it is difficult for her to adjust to quietness. She is even thinking of becoming a foster parent. We talk about this a lot and I also wonder how it will be for me. I imagine I will be excited to be able to go off on trips and such without having to worry about the kids, but I miss them when they are gone for a few hours so I can't imagine them not coming home every day or just seeing them once or twice a year, like my mom does with me now. Every time I talk to her she speaks of me "moving back home."
    Erin
    It's funny because while I do appreciate the relative freedom we have now on weekends (because we only have 2 kids to worry about!) the 'silence' is a little disturbing. I can only imagine it will get worse as each child leaves the house. It will be a new normal. I don't know if I'd want to do foster care like your mom is considering though! Eek!!

I remember when Bobbie was a baby and an older lady suggested we give her a chicken bone to chew on. I thought she was on crack!

I gave both my kids bones when they were 6 or 7 months. All they ever did was suck on them, except Ky when he got older, he'd crunch them up, but he was over a year at that time and so I stopped giving him bones at all with his chicken. I'd just cut the meat off. He actually still will crunch up bones LOL! I just let him now.

I forgot to mention the man mom is considering letting move in with her has congestive heart failure and he doesn't have any family, which is why she offered for him to live with her. He has been having a rough time as of late and she told him he could move in temporarily until he got a new apartment since his house is stuffed with stuff. She thinks he's a hoarder. He has books and historical memorabilia (he was a history teacher) everywhere in his house. She told me that she warned him that he couldn't bring any stuff to her house except things he needed and only 5 books at a time LOL! He is a really smart, extremely nice person. My mom says he is the nicest person she has ever met. She told him that and she said he had to keep himself from crying. He is also the most intelligent man she has ever met. She is worried that he will make her feel like a dummy if he decides to move in with her because she won't be able to talk to him about all the stuff he is interested in. He really is a nice guy and is really smart. I remember we used to be amazed at him when I was in 7th grade and he would tell us all kinds of things about history we had never heard of.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 02-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.

People are usually pretty good about asking discreetly if Josh can have a treat. If I don't want him to have it right then I usually say he can have it after lunch and most of the time he has forgotten about it by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I forgot to mention the man mom is considering letting move in with her has congestive heart failure and he doesn't have any family, which is why she offered for him to live with her. He has been having a rough time as of late and she told him he could move in temporarily until he got a new apartment since his house is stuffed with stuff. She thinks he's a hoarder. He has books and historical memorabilia (he was a history teacher) everywhere in his house. She told me that she warned him that he couldn't bring any stuff to her house except things he needed and only 5 books at a time LOL! He is a really smart, extremely nice person. My mom says he is the nicest person she has ever met. She told him that and she said he had to keep himself from crying. He is also the most intelligent man she has ever met. She is worried that he will make her feel like a dummy if he decides to move in with her because she won't be able to talk to him about all the stuff he is interested in. He really is a nice guy and is really smart. I remember we used to be amazed at him when I was in 7th grade and he would tell us all kinds of things about history we had never heard of.

Erin
    She's really a good woman. Wow.

The Amazing Race just started last week. It's the one reality show that I watch, I love the host Phil!

The other day at the bank, the teller handed Gilly a green lollipop without even asking me first, grrr, once we were in the car I convinced him to take the organic lollipops I keep in my purse.

I sent you a request Lisa. I too remember those teething booby days. G would fuss and whine until the whole house was awake. G was never the type of baby that would help himself to booby, he had to wake me up everytime.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I accepted everyone's requests. Ash needs me to wake up too. Usually I try just snuggling with him first but lately nothing is working. He's grinding his poor little teeth and kicking his little legs out. But, I have figured out that he's telling me when he wants his diaper changed. He smacks his palm against his hip over and over and once I change it, he stops. It usually is soaked when he does that (we use cloth, so it's wet against his skin).
    AKA Lisa724

If I let Sawyer take charge of nursing I wake up with insane hickies all over my boobies. Does that prove he's not really hungry or what? He doesn't take a paci though.

Savana had such a hard night. I made chicken noodle soup, her favorite but I added coconut milk and some curry for a thai kick and she was just heartbroken that it wasn't exactly the same because she "looked forward to it all day". She cried at the table because her foot hurt (she stepped on some glass earlier), the soup was wrong, her head hurt, she missed grandma.....But the whole thing started when she saw me packing her backpack for school and realized it was sunday night. Gah, I feel so sorry for her because I remember having the same feelings when I was her age. When it was Sunday night and I knew I had to leave for school in the morning. It made me so sad. I used to pray to God to make the night last forever so I could stay home.
    I can't wait until this school year is over. I think we're doing the right thing having her stick it out but I'm ready for summer so I can keep her all day.