Page 960 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 460860910950958959960961962970101010601460 ... LastLast
Results 28,771 to 28,800 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I feel like the odd one out with having no pets. Lol. We always had about 5 cats and at least one dog when I was growing up in Arkansas. We also had a few red squirrels, a grey squirrel, a fox, some rabbits, 2 mice, a few turtles(who were always called George), and a wild rock lizard that we caught and tamed. We didn't have all those pets at one time, but we always had an array of animals. I loved growing up out in the country and near the woods.

I've always wanted a pug dog. I had a brilliant idea the other day that we could one day get a black pug and name it Black Pudding and call it Pud Pud for short. Lol. I'm sure someone who had a pug once told me that they are high maintenance to keep and that sometimes their eyes could pop out and you have to stick them back in. Maybe we'll just get a chihuahua instead.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 02-25-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding word for clarification (cell phone post)

That should've said their eyes pop out. I can't edit my post or delete my double post from my phone.

Kate i agree that it's totally normal for them to follow you around. Molly does come to the bathroom with me. Cosmo does too sometimes. You want him bonded with you and I always encourage them to follow me around. He should get plenty of exercise playing outside with Josh. And dogs, well many breeds and beagles are one, need a lot of sleep. Even though Molly is young, she still likes to lie around the house (she doesn't have couch privileges yet unless we are holding her). it's why I have so many pics of her lying around with toys in front of the fireplace.

As far as toys, you will learn quickly which he seems to prefer. And rawhides, I get the knotted bones or the cylinders or the donut shaped ones. I would just make sure not to buy ones made in China. I do NOT trust anything for my dog that was made in china....

Bridget I don't even like 1 lbs of ground meat for the two of us and Cosmo. I always try to find at least 1.11 and more to 1.2 if I can.

Chrissy so happy that you are liking the job so far!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    That should've said their eyes pop out. I can't edit my post or delete my double post from my phone.
    I always try to delete your second post if I see it.

We are all okay here, so far. No more vomiting since I came home. Ro stayed up until 11 PM last night because he napped. Mylah offered to bring us soup, which I thought was so sweet, because she lives over an hour away and due to fear of contagion it's not like she could do more than drop it off and run, but we have plenty of food and I just felt loved and cared for.

I'm kind of lost with the dog talk, too. I've lived with plenty of dogs in my life, but never had one of my own and don't know much about the daily care or different breeds.

How sweet of Myles And not surprising at all.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

the soup offer! Soup makes everything better. Speaking of, I made a lamb bone broth yesterday. I don't care for lamb but the broth is so rich. I can't wait to make a soup with it. I'm so glad that S is doing better. One more day of the meds or is he done?

Sawyer is really cracking me up these days. He says, "Mom." all the time. Real quick and abrupt like. So lately if he's crying about something that doesn't involve a physical hurt, like I have to take a pencil away from him, he will cry really hard for a few seconds. I'm walking to the shelf to put the pencil up and he stops. Totally stops and says, "Mom!" so I turn and say, "Yes?" and he starts to cry again. I start to talk to him about about how the pencil is not for babies and it's okay....and he stops, "Mom!" I say, "Yes, Sawyer?" and he starts to cry again. It's so hilarious.
    To me it's like he is saying, "FOCUS here! I'm CRYING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    To me it's like he is saying, "FOCUS here! I'm CRYING!"
    Too cute!!!

We're having a lazy yet productive morning here. We sit, we get up and do stuff, then sit again. It's just me & the kids and one of Jesi's friends. Jesi made eggs for everyone, I made coffee. We're watching cartoons and Conner is playing his Leapster2 next to me on the couch.

My dog Rudy was called Velcro Dog, he followed me everywhere, and if he couldn't find me, he would run frantically through the house looking for me. He got much worse when he went deaf, poor little guy. I so miss having a pet. We dog sit for a really nice couple, the dog is such a nice dog, we love him so much. He sleeps in bed with us, and dh and I argue over who is going to cuddle the dog, lol. But I think G needs to be a little older, maybe 5ish, before we get a pet. I'd love a big ole orange cat too, my dh is allergic though. Not too bad, he can live with them, just not pet them or sleep with them. When I met dh, my cat Nelson, slept with me on my pillow. when Nelson got booted out of the bed he was not pleased.

We had a great day in the Everglades, G was in his element in the mud and water. He keeps asking to go back to the swamp. We will have to go back a few times before it gets too hot. I will try to post some pics later. Today I woke up with a head cold, ick. I have a terrible sore throat, drinking hot tea with honey feels so good.

yay for Connor!! Hope this is it for him!!

L, hope this weekend is better, no vomit or screaming.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Too funny about Sawyer! I it!

L, how is Baby S today?

Myles, you are so sweet to offer the soup.

DH and I are still somewhat in shock about the kitty. I meant to share earlier, but kitty's dermatologist called us late Thursday to say she had heard what happened and give us her condolences. That was very touching of her.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Am I the only one who is not friends with y'all on FB? Sadcakes!
    I want to be friends on FB! I'm pretty easy to find: facebook.com/beanpop ...very original

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Are normal hours an option at some point? Mine are Mon-Fri, 8-4:30. It's hourly, but that means at 4:30 I stop what I'm doing and I'm out the door. I love that.

I pretty much do the same thing as before, only for Alumni Affairs and Development, rather than Arts & Sciences. AA&D is more streamlined and they have a tight active directory network and utilize SCCM. They're getting '12 soon and I hope to start learning that once I gain the SCCM guy's trust. I'm making myself available to him, taking care of some of his backlog tickets, and pretty much kissing ass so he'll teach me.
    Technically, yes. But in order for my hours to get better we have to hire at least one if not two more people into our department. My manager assures me that "things are changing" and my schedule will be one of those things...but he's been saying that for a year now and there's nothing to show for it.

Right now I work Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 7pm then Monday and Tuesday nights from 6pm to 3am. It's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I'll PM you too Suja and anyone else I'm not friends with. Just let me know
    Add me too! Anyone can add me, but be forewarned - I post waaaay too many pics of DD.

Lydia, I hope everyone in your household is feeling better today!!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Thanks for deleting my double posts, L. I thought there was a magic post fairy helping me out!

Karen and Suja, I'll add y'all on facebook!

I have a feeling the dog topic will be kept alive for a while

Last night he would not stop. barking. Which was weird because it wasn't that bad on Wed. or Thurs. night. So we did another google search (seriously, I probably would have returned the dog already if it weren't for you guys and google; how did people live without internet?) and decided to bring the crate up to our room. It's ok because now the cats can go downstairs at night without walking by his crate. And as soon as we brought him up, he stopped barking. It was miraculous. I just hope it keeps working. Mom and her boyfriend came over today and it was very chaotic with both Bo and Josh vying for attention.

Remember how I said my mother told me one of her cats won't eat? Turns out she has something fatal going on with her liver, or something. I guess there's nothing they can do but mom is supposed to just make sure she doesn't seem uncomfortable. It's so sad. She just got those kittens in October.

I can't find you Suja!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Oh and D: (That's my look of shock and/or horror) about the pug's eyes popping out. I think I'd be all done after that.

Kate that doesn't surprise me. Dogs are social and like to be where they can smell their people. Seriously it's a bit different because she was a baby but Molly cried and whined for over a week a good part of the night. Like probably a good four hours every night until she was just too exhausted. And that was with her kennel in my room.
    It's good that gives the cats freedom at night. And has him with you so you can correct him right away.
    You just have to be a smidge more persistent than the dog and eventually they do catch on to the house rules. Dogs WANT to please their people...we just need to let them know in a way that they can understand what we want from them.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Um yeah I am not a pug person but the eye thing would be enough for me. They have a lot of health issues with the smushed faces and are very gassy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I want to be fb friends, facebook.com/woozles3
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    I want to be fb friends, facebook.com/woozles3
    I sent you a friends request

Suja, did you get my pm?

I totally get where the term 'empty nest' comes from. As you all know the most recent weeks/months leading up to Bobbie going off to college were really rough, but now that she's gone it really does feel 'empty' in here. It's strange when you think that I have 3 other kids at home, but that's how it is. There's this constant feeling of 'somethings missing.' For me, it's not altogether a bad feeling because it was so rough there for a while. Plus, she's close and we've been seeing her every week. But I totally get how people have a rough time when their last (or only) child leaves the house. I think it's more of an adjustment than when a couple actually has a child.

/rambling for the night.

What's everyone doing this weekend? We're having Bobbie over tomorrow and I'm making peanut butter pie, but other than that nothing really special is going on. I'm trying to rest up after being sick for 3 days with a head cold.

I totally understand Chrissy!
    Something you might be able to relate to-since getting Bo, it's like having another kid-when I'm watching tv or listening to the radio I keep thinking "Is this appropriate for Bo to be hearing?" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I totally understand Chrissy!
    Something you might be able to relate to-since getting Bo, it's like having another kid-when I'm watching tv or listening to the radio I keep thinking "Is this appropriate for Bo to be hearing?" LOL
    You're too funny!!!!

I needed that little chuckle. Jesi is staying over at my cousin Rog's house tonight with his daughter Adrianna. Adrianna is a year older than Sydney and her mother died in a car accident when she was just 11 months old. The girls were going through pictures of Adrianna's mom and Jesi sent me a picture text of one. I wasn't expecting to see Kim when I opened the MMS and it's brought it all back.

Kim was a beautiful, wonderful, vivacious, funny woman. She was an excellent mother. But she had a drinking problem. She would only drink when her kids were with their dad, but she was out of control. It was getting bad but no one could stop her. My brother forced her into the passenger seat of her own minivan one weekend to keep her from driving and she threw such a fit she kicked out the corner of her windshield. My brother is a big guy (nearly 300 lbs) and she wasn't a big woman at all (probably not even 100 lbs) but he said it was all he could do to keep her in her seat while he drove her home.

A few weeks after that she was out and decided to go to our aunt's house after the bar closed. My aunt was her best friend and was on the phone with her when Kim wrecked. It was a horrible time for all of us.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Sorry you're missing Bobbie, Chrissy, but I'm really glad that your new job is going so well that it must be helping ease the loss of your old one.

We are settling in for the evening. S. took his last dose of antibiotics this evening. Whew! He spent a good deal of today yelling NO at me, but did not have any serious fits of rage. I also did not try to thwart him too much. I took him to a bird sanctuary this morning and the only thing that made him really upset was when I tried to stop him from jumping into the lake. A mother has to draw some limits, you know? The next few days will show whether his mood improves overall.

There have been no more GI issues here. Krystal5 wants to keep our playdate tomorrow (after full disclosure of illnesses on both our parts), so I'm going to meet her and Maiya with just Baby S. We're going to hopefully have some time to talk while our toddlers play.

DH had an idea for an invention and mentioned it to me recently. I told him I thought it was worth developing, so he decided to learn all about wiring and he has put together a computer-controlled switchboard and is busy soldering things in the living room right now. He rolled his eyes at me when I asked him to do it over a cookie sheet. The house smells pleasantly of burning matches. While I am really glad he has been this enthusiastic about a project, he has been neglecting some things I need him to do.

DS told me tonight that if he could wish for anything in the world, he would wish for a Troodon. Last night I was reading him dinosaur books and he stopped me and said, "Mom, that's not true!" when I read him something about T. Rex being the largest dinosaur with big teeth for eating meat. A short while later he nodded in agreement when I told him something else, maybe about the Compsognathus being a small dinosaur about the size of a turkey, and he said, "Yes, that part is correct." He has become a self-avowed dinosaur expert. I was telling dh about this tonight and he said DS was correct, T. Rex is not the biggest predatory dinosaur. So I had to quickly google and shoot, it all comes down to semantics. I cannot remember the exact wording in the book. T. Rex had the biggest teeth, but Giganotosaur was the largest meat-eater, followed by Carcharodontosaurus. It is amazing how much I have learned about dinosaurs and construction equipment and other things I never dreamed of.

I asked my mailman today how he was doing after his breakup with his partner at Christmas, and he started crying and told me he was a mess. It was so sad. He said his health insurance changed and he stopped taking his antidepressants and couldn't even get it together to figure out how to get a doctor at his new insurance and make an appointment and get in to start getting his act together again, because his partner used to do all that for him. He was starting to have panic attacks and just cry randomly. S. and I walked with him as he delivered the mail down our street, and I told him to come over anytime and I'd walk him through getting a doctor (it's the same insurance as mine), the sooner the better. I told him he could get a few antidepressants without a prescription, probably. I gave him a hug and he told me how much he missed physical contact with people and he started crying again. He is a really, really nice guy, always has a nice word for people, always remembers what is going on with everyone, and it's so sad to see him like this. I'm just kind of rambling here, but I'm thinking I'm kind of paying it forward for Mylah's nice gesture yesterday. I think of myself as a kind person, but it's not like me to be thoughtful like that because I'm usually so overwhelmed with my own world.

That's it for my world. How are the rest of you?

Thanks to everyone that sent me PMs. I've hopefully sent friend requests to all the right people. Sometimes, the search brought up weird results, and I'm like 'I'm pretty sure that's not her'. Karen, found you!

Good golly, Lydia, what a mess! I feel like I could use a stiff drink, and I wasn't even there!

Had SIL's family over for dinner. The kid always has so much fun with her 'brudders' (that's what she calls her two cousins). The older one is so sweet and considerate, and the younger one is certifiable. Between the two of them, she gets a good workout, but safely. She also ate all the chocolate shavings and some frosting off the cake, but none of the actual cake.

Rawhides can be good for chewing, as long as the dog isn't tearing off big pieces and swallowing them, or eating a lot of it. Can lead to choking or impaction. For dogs, I generally like soft bones (raw, NEVER cooked) - like turkey necks. A lot of dog people I know give their dogs antlers, but mine won't touch them. Always supervise, until you have a really good idea of whether your dog can be safe with their chewies. If Bo is having too easy a time with Kongs, try a frozen Kong (google recipes). You can in fact put his regular kibble in there, and just reduce it from his rations.

And yes, get used to never peeing alone again. Dogs seem to think there is a secret escape route from bathrooms. Our bathroom has a separate area for the toilet, and Pan (my Great Dane) would squeeze in there if she could. Since she won't fit, she'll settle for staying in the bathroom and sighing really loudly from time to time. Woe is her!

That's so nice of you to help your mailman - I know that when you get to feeling that way it's almost impossible to make yourself do all the things you need to do to even get to a doctor/set up all your insurance stuff. It's so overwhelming and you are already feeling so overwhelmed. That might make a world of difference for him.

DH took JoJo to Dallas for the weekend so I am footloose! I spent all day Friday working on different artsy stuff, made a comforter cover for J, worked on a couple of eggs, etc. It was a pretty good day. Then today I cleaned out my closet and rearranged, pulled out all the stuff that doesn't fit and switched over to my summer clothes because our winter is apparently over already. Then tonight an old friend/acquaintance who lives out of town from comedy days had a birthday party at a place downtown. It was fun to see her and a couple of other people from those days. I really miss the people - so smart and caustic and fun. And it warmed my cockles to have two of them separately come up to me and say that I was incredibly funny and talented and that they really wished that I would get back on stage because it was such a waste. I do miss being on stage, but I don't miss the rest of the business. Perhaps next year sometime I can do improv instead of stand-up. That way I can have the fun of the stage time without the hard part of writing all the jokes. I really love being on stage and making people laugh. And I miss being quick, whip-smart - I can't even explain how it is when you are onstage telling jokes but your brain is behind your voice moving a million miles an hour monitoring everything in the room, what your body is doing, what you are going to do next, what the drunk guy over there is about to do, what you will say when someone heckles, everything. But you have to look cool and relaxed, like you just kind of wandered up on stage and are telling a story, no big deal. So much fun. Maybe one of these days...

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I hope you get a chance to do some improv, Katy!

L, that is so sad about your mailman. How kind of you to look after him.

Kate, too funny about monitoring Bo's TV and radio!

I am laughing so hard at DH right now. He absconded with my iPad and is watching very strange you-tube videos. One was Cher singing Half-Breed. DH shared that when he was a child, he thought the song was about him because he was half Canadian and half American! Excuse me, I had to stop typing for another fit of laughter.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-26-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Shelley, I've sent you a request. It's nice being fb friends with you all since you are true friends and not just work colleagues who I hardly ever talk to.

L, that is really kind of you to look after your mailman like that. It makes me feel good to see people looking after each other like that. I call our mailman "the running man" because he runs his route. He never really stops to say hello-just pushes the mail through the slot through the door and then shoots off down the street.

Myles, you're a good'n for offering L the soup. One of these days we will get to hear that duck story, right?

Chrissy, that is so sad about your cousin-in-law. It makes me think back to all the times my mother got drunk and would take off in the car. One summer when I was 12, we had gone swimming with some cousins and she got totally wasted, so my aunt and uncle insisted that my sister and I ride back with them and my mother totalled her car in a crash (she ran off in to a ditch). She busted all her front teeth out and broke her nose. When we got dropped off that night, my dad had got home from work but my mother was nowhere to be found. We didn't have a phone back then, so at about 7 at night, my papaw came walking over (we lived down a dirt road from them, about a 5 minute walk) and I can remember him saying to my dad, 'son, J is in the hospital; she's been in a wreck.' I had to get some clothes together for her because she only had her bikini on when she crashed. Thinking about it now, I think my sister and I are lucky to be alive because if we had ridden with her, we probably wouldn't have walked away from that crash. She had a bad habit of drink-driving for the longest time and I always figured one day that's how she'd die, but she's really cleaned her act up since going all religious.

Cash and I are up for the day but Travis and DH are still asleep. We were out a little late last night for my niece's 1st birthday. The boys had a great time mingling with the other kids and Travis wore his glasses for most of the time. He's doing great getting used to them. I think Cash and I will go get some breakfast now while the house is fairly quiet. (Our kitchen looks twice as big now since we moved Cash's highchair out of there!) He uses a booster seat now....he's growing up so fast!

Chrissy, the story about your cousin breaks my heart. I'm so sorry you all lost her and that she never got to see her baby grow up.
    Ash, that is a scary story.
    I have a family member who used to drive drunk regularly and i'd lay awake thinking about it plenty of nights. As far as I know he's changed his ways now.

Chrissy I agree with you on the empty nest. It didn't seem so hard for my parents when I left....but my sister is still at home and is almost 29 yrs old. And they are not having as easy a time letting her go now that she's off more with her gf and they have plans to move in together later this year.

My baby lost another tooth this weekend. She was chewing a rawhide and spit something out and picked it back up so I checked on it thinking she had a bit of rawhide in her mouth (we do supervise rawhides). Stuck my fingers in an pulled out a big ole molar. Dh checked and said she's got another one that is pretty loose. I'm glad to see those puppy teeth go...those suckers were like little needles.

Dh and I had a disagreement this weekend. I'm mentally decorating the nursery. I wanted and pictured dark wood furniture or white. I already have a dark dresser in there and was going to use that. He wanted oak because the office is dark and his mom will be putting her black hutch in the dining room (it will look really nice in here and I want it up here too) when she moves in and he didn't want 3 rooms in a row with dark wood. Well I don't care for honey oak at all. So we went dresser window shopping at 3 furniture stores and I didn't like anything. I don't see the point in buying a dresser when we have one and want the child to help pick out his/her big kid set. Finally we agreed on buying a natural colored crib and getting a really nice all wood dresser at the naked furniture store. Finish that with the natural finish and since it's all wood, we can refinish it to match the big kid set latter on. Seriously this took up most of the day yesterday to figure that out.

This morning I'm going to try to make pancakes. never made them before....I always do french toast or waffles instead.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Good morning, everyone. Sad drunk driving stories. The ones I was touched by were ones in high school, fellow students. Also creepy ones, like people who wrote in their yearbook quotes when asked where they'd be in 10 years, "Who says I'll be around in 10 years anyway?"

Mandy, have you ever seen this YouTube video? Prisencolinensinainciusol is supposed to be what American English sounds like to non-English speakers, and it has a catchy little tune. I always find myself enjoying it. I was reading about this isolated island (Tangier) off Virginia last night where the inhabitants speak something that sounds like a Restoration English dialect, and it led me to browse all kinds of links while dh was tinkering. I realize you're not a linguist, but I find all kinds of language things interesting, and you might too. Or you might know all this already. I ended up listening to a video of their accent, though, and found it a bit disappointing.

Oh, and Katy? I think you should totally start doing improv again.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 02-26-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Here's what I'm making for breakfast: http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/20...cookie-recipe/

L, those were really cool links. I love anything to do with language, too. I've always wondered what English sounds like to non English speakers. That link was cool. Now I have to find a link to here how the high tiders speak since that wiki link has peaked my interest. Maybe it'll be how I sound since I get asked if I'm Irish a lot.

Bridget, that looks like a nice breakfast.

Jennifer, how'd the pancakes turn out? I love making pancakes.

Katy, you should get back in to comedy. I bet you'd have a lot of fun making so many people laugh.