Page 958 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 458858908948956957958959960968100810581458 ... LastLast
Results 28,711 to 28,740 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I'm impressed that you thought to look that up L. Wow. I hope that's all it is.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Wow this is interesting. http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.c...edomain=vitals

Bridget, has Savana ever had strep or been tested for it? Article above is about how in some kids an infection like strep might be behind OCD.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hi guys. Just checking in. I actually had today and yesterday off work (we have a bizarre tradition here called Rodeo Break to allow everyone to go to the local rodeo, which no one I know does) so I was free to deal with the cat yesterday and to grieve today. I don't know what it is about Rodeo break, though - one year I found out DH was deploying, another year I came close to breaking my nose, etc. I never seem to have a peaceful vacation this time of year.

My brother and his family are here for a visit and I was supposed to hang out with them yesterday. I ended up not going over and they totally understand. I really should see them before they go but DH doesn't want to socialize and I don't want to leave him. He is taking this harder than I am.

L, that's crazy about the meds! Will it go away when he stops? I certainly hope so. And that was uncalled for what your DH said. I would have been just as upset.

Kate, hope Bo's EKG comes back okay. The worms and everything else are treatable, but the shelter really should have told you. How is Bo settling in?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

((hugs)) to M & your dh.

That's kinda funny about rodeo day.

Oh, I meant to say congrats about Conner and the potty!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Wow this is interesting. http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.c...edomain=vitals

Bridget, has Savana ever had strep or been tested for it? Article above is about how in some kids an infection like strep might be behind OCD.
    I have heard of this. Her dr thinks I am a quack for even suggesting it and her therapist said she knows very little about it and it's very uncommon. I'm going to bring this article to my dr. Thank you.

L, now that you mention about the antibiotics, I remember that my 2 nephews were both on that amoxycilon for ear aches and chest infections and it made them delirious too. They even had night terror type things and it really scared SIL. She stopped the antibiotics straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I have heard of this. Her dr thinks I am a quack for even suggesting it and her therapist said she knows very little about it and it's very uncommon. I'm going to bring this article to my dr. Thank you.
    Seriously, what could it possibly hurt to do a strep test?

http://vsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/...s&query=PANDAS

The first one on that link talks about various titers that can be done to see if there has been a recent infection.

Seems to me that reputable sources are saying that it is real....you are definitely not a quack. Now whether or not this is the situation for Savana.....but really would not hurt to test for infection. Or at least see if things get worse after illness.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

And really just because something is uncommon, doesn't mean you can't get it.

Seems sceleritis is uncommon....yet Cosmo has it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would just really like to rule it out, you know?

I agree Bridget, I'd want to rule it out too. It's not like it's an in depth, expensive test.

I agree.

That was an interesting read. I do remember hearing about it concerning the girls in NY who had strange symptoms. I also don't think it would hurt to have it checked out.

And so good to hear that you had some time to grieve your kitty Mandy. That is too bad though that this rodeo vacation usually does not bring a calm, vacation-like environment to you. And hugs to your DH about kitty as well. It must be so difficult since she had been a part of your lives for so long.

Chrissy I forgot to say CONGRATS to Conner for pooping!!! That is so great. I hope he continues now that he knows he can do it. I would have probably had some sort of poop party LOL!

And congrats to you Kate about Bo. Too bad that he is having some medical issues but at least they are not serious. I remember my mom adopting a dog for us when i was 11 from our county shelter and he ended up dying a few days later from pneumonia. We were all so sad. Mom went and bought us a dog from a breeder after that and since then she won't get dogs from shelters even though I tell her that they are better now than they were back in 89/90. She still is upset about it.

Erin

Yeah, I guess if we couldn't afford to care for him we'd have to bring him back. We were concerned that if he needed treatment for his heart it might be too much. But it turns out he's fine. Just an unusually mellow beagle I guess. He needs a couple new medications for the things in his poop but I put them in some wet food and he gobbles it right up.

As for settling in, he's great except when it comes to the cats. I don't know how long to give them to get used to each other. I don't want to uproot the cats' comfort for a new pet. The cats have been with us for many years-before we were married. Bo chases them. One cat stands up to him and hisses and he stops but as soon as she turns to go, he chases her. The other cat just turns and runs. At night he barks occasionally but not constantly and seems to react to us slapping a magazine on our palm (not actually hitting him) and telling him to hush.

L and Bridget I hope you get your kids' health issues straightened out.

It took a few weeks before my cat was comfortable with the dogs, and we went through it with each dog. we didn't have much of an issue with them chasing her, though. Gwennie is the only one who ever did and she stops right away when we call her name. Never did it often, though.

Beagles are hunting dogs, so it's his instinct to chase the cats. I'm sure it can be thwarted, but it will likely take more effort and training with him.

Oh yes I'm totally aware of their instincts and all that. I just thought "good with cats" might mean he had gotten used to them in his time in the shelter or at previous homes and wouldn't chase them anymore. Hopefully the training will help.

Training and familiarity with the cats will both help.

I think 'good with cats' means he hasn't ate one. lol

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    That's what I'm thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    That's what I'm thinking!
    It's all relative!

LOL Chrissy.

Cats still have a place where they can get away, right? And it's totally ok for Bo to be in his kennel sometimes for a time out or when you are at home.

The medications should clear up the worms pretty well. It sounds gross and I freaked out when I found out Molly had parasites in her digestive tract but found out it is pretty common. there is a reason that even adult dogs bring in a stool sample to get checked every year.
    so glad to hear that his heart is ok!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Last night DH was watching Jeopardy and it went off, which means bedtime in our house but I was flipping through channels to see if I wanted to watch anything after putting Elle to bed. I saw a screen that said "Brazillian Butlift" and it was an infomercial. Cheesy infomercials are some of my favorite things to watch because they are so hilarious to me so I watched it for a few minutes as I was waiting on Elle to come out of the bathroom and she came in and started cracking up laughing saying "look at that ladies butt!!!" Which made DH and I laugh because if you haven't seen this infomercial, there are before and after pics of women's butts like the DVD is going to shape, lift, and round your rear end. They showed a bunch of pics of women posing their butts and Elle was just giggling saying "why do they keep showing their butts!!! They are crazy!" So I finally got her to stop giggling so much and thought about how maybe she shouldn't be looking at pics of ladies sticking their butts out and took her upstairs to read. As I was changing her clothes I took off her panties so we could put on an overnight pull-up (she has started to wet herself at night and so I had to start putting her in pull ups because she was getting so upset over wetting herself, it was also a battle to get her to wear the pull ups but she had finally started not to flip out over them). While I was getting the pull up off of her dresser and her bottom half of nakey she started dancing like they were doing in the infomercials and doing the exercises, squats and jumps, and she started giggling again and then said "Look Mommy, I can pose like those ladies were doing with their butts," and she struck a pose exactly like them and even started walking around, stopping, and striking other poses saying "look at my butt" and cracking up laughing. She ended up falling on the floor laughing and it took a long time to calm down, mostly because I was cracking up laughing too.

Mommy lesson learned: don't let little goofy girls watch crazy infomercials about the look and size of butts!

Erin
    Then you definitely don't want her to see this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1103933.html It's cray-cray!!

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Mandy, I'm glad you got Rodeo day off to process the loss of your kitty. I hope you start to feel at peace with it soon.

Katy, thanks for the words of support. I'm starting to lose steam, but feeling like I'll make it to Monday. I've been in meetings since 6:30am; didn't even get to say bye to B this morning.

Kate, sorry to hear that Bo has a few woes. I hope they resolve themselves. When we brought our Lulu home from her rescue, she had pneumonia. We thought she was super mellow, but after spending 2 days straight in the pet hossy, she came out wiggly and full of energy. DH still tells me I baby her too much whenever I hear her make the slightest coughing sound.

L, I'm sorry that your rough times are continuing. Did S's pedi say it'd be ok to take him off his abx? I would be interested to hear if that makes a difference.

Erin, whoops, I think I meant to paste in this link. It's got more pics of the same person from the waist down: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nt-doctor.html

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Pretty much!

Honestly, I'm not against corrections depending on the circumstances. Cat chasing shold be in the NOT ALLOWED family. Do not let him engage in the behavior, and actively teach him a 'Leave It'. Most definitely get into an obedience class so your instructor can give you further guidance on how to fix this.

Yes, we still have the gate up at the bottom of the stairs. The cats stay up there pretty much all day. We keep his crate open during the day but he prefers to lay on the couch! Should I bring him into his crate once in a while and shut him in there for short periods?

The trainer at Petco will be in tomorrow afternoon so I'm going to stop by and set something up. I missed the beginning of a session but they say they can make arrangements to fit your schedule.

I would....for now at least. But do it with a sturdy toy like a kong and with some food. We put Molly in hers still like when we are eating dinner. I don't want the crate associated with just us leaving or bedtime.

Do they have any idea how old Bo is?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Erin, whoops, I think I meant to paste in this link. It's got more pics of the same person from the waist down: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nt-doctor.html
    I have heard of this story but never looked at the pics and I must say that that woman's but is just OUTRAGEOUS!!! Elle would be "ewwww" ing all over the place if she looked at that! But I have learned my lesson, to not let her watch cheesy infomercials with me. It is a silly guilty pleasure of mine LOL!

Erin

Erin, I've seen that article about the butt implants and yeah, eewwww.

Jennifer, they said he's a year and a half old.