Page 957 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 457857907947955956957958959967100710571457 ... LastLast
Results 28,681 to 28,710 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Mandy, so sorry about your cat
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Jennifer, I sent you a DM, when you get a chance.

Mandy, I hope you're doing ok. I've been thinking about you all night.

In our house, it's a big night. Conner finally went poopy on the potty. We stuck to not giving him his favorite toys until he did. Like I said before, he wasn't over upset about losing them, but he'd ask for them from time to time. Tonight he finally did it-he went poopy on his potty!!! And not only that, he's so happy and dancing around. He ran up to Jesi and said, "Aren't you so excited?!" She gave him a high 5 and you could tell it just made his night.

Even 10 minutes after he ran up to me and said, "Mom, I'm so happy!"

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

, Chrissy. As the mother of a toddler boy who refuses to poop on the potty, I know it's nothing to be sniffed at. No pun intended.

Mandy, I hope you're finding comfort in some way this evening. I am thinking of you.

Oh, Mandy. I'm so sorry.

Chrissy, big congrats to Conner!

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Yay for Conner!

I hate to add to the animal problems tonight but I called my mom earlier today and one of her cats is losing weight. With the initial tests they found nothing wrong but she's bringing her in for more.

Also, I took Bo to the vet today. He has Lyme disease and may have a heart problem. The vet said she expected Bo's heart rate to be around 100 and it was only 68. So I'm taking him in for an EKG tomorrow. Then I was on twitter just now and one of my friend's diabetic cats is not eating!

Thoughts going out to our animal friends today

Don't worry about the lyme. It's very treatable. Both my dogs have had it. Do you know if Bo is heartworm negative? 68 is the low end of normal for heart rate, but given that he is a smaller dog, it is a good idea to check it out.

YAY Connor! Give him some M&Ms from me, would ya?
    Last edited by Suja; 02-23-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Molly, speaking of the animal kingdom, you wouldn't happen to have the duck story I once wrote to you somewhere in your e-mail, wouldja?

I had another dinner mishap tonite along the same-ish lines, which made me try to find that story. Couldn't find it anywhere on hard drive. Couldn't find it by searching online for "No Harm, No Fowl" though I'd subsequenty posted the story to a couple message boards; only discovered how unoriginal that phrase was.

I will share tonight's tale perhaps tomorrow. I'm still feeling a little queasy.

That's awesome, Chrissy! Way to go, Conner!

So sorry about your kitty

My dog has had lyme as well but after one round of antibiotic treatment, was completely back to normal.
    AKA Lisa724

YAYYYY!!!!! So happy for Conner!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Wonderful news for Conner! BTW, did you read this in NM&MIG? Tapir, the one giving the advice about the poo party, is a pediatrician, and I always have liked the advice she gives.

S. was screaming and screaming last night again. DH said, "There's something wrong with that boy." I was late getting home from picking the twins up because he fought me so hard getting him into the car seat. Then I had to finish dinner, put away two loads of laundry, put dishes away, take a shower, and I was running around doing all of these things while S. was screaming and batting his hands at me. DH was out in the living room checking his email, and asked if I wanted the baby gate up. I said the baby gate wasn't safe (it doesn't fit in the kitchen doorway). So he decided to sit down and read a book to Ro, who'd been happily playing in a fort. I'm still running around and dealing with screeching. After about half an hour, the laundry was all put away and dinner was ready and I swooped S. out to change a diaper and dh noticed how frazzled and impatient I seemed and asked if he should be doing something else. I asked him to help with S, who is still constantly yelling at me. He sighed and said to DS, "Mommy wants me to stop reading to you." Not, "I need to help with the baby." He vilified me to our son just because he was angry, and I was so upset I lost my appetite and used the time they were all eating dinner to take my shower because I could not sit down with him. I realize it doesn't sound that bad, but he hardly ever reads to DS and it was like I just took away his favorite treat. GRR. These fits of rage are really hard on all of us.

He did prove to me that asking him questions during his fits of rage doesn't really help. He will answer NO to just about anything. "Do you understand me?" "NOOOOOO!" "Are you hurting?" "NOOOOOO" "Are you not hurting?" "NOOOOO!"

Actually, Lydia, it does sound that bad. I would have been irate. From everything you have told us about your dh, he is a very smart man and I have a hunch he knew darn well that saying that to R was totally inappropriate. I'm a little disgusted that he would choose to add to your stress at that point in the game. What could be going on with that baby, though? It sounds so stressful. Wish I had some ideas for you.
    I do know very much the feeling of being stretched so thin you feel like you will just tear in two, while the other aduly calmly stares at his computer screen. If that helps.

Hugs to you Mandy about your kitty. I hope you can take it easy to day and deal with the grief.

And L I understand where your anger came from regarding what your DH said. I would have felt the same way and probably would have said something in the instance that it came out of DH's mouth. That was very uncalled for on his part and if he didn't want to help or was going to villify you, he should not have asked if he should be doing something else. I know how crazy a screaming child can drive someone. I go crazy with it even after just a few minutes, let alone days and days of it. Hugs to you too and I hope baby S comes out of his screaming mood soon.

Erin

I dropped him off for the EKG this morning and they just called me back about the stool sample I gave them yesterday (he went poop outside at the vet!) He has roundworm and whipworm.

I'm a little bit upset that the shelter either didn't know or didn't tell us about all these problems.

Oh L, I would have been really upset by that too. DH does that sometimes too.

I have been having some interesting interactions with Elle lately. She is really growing up in front of my eyes in every minute of the time we spend together IMO. It makes me tear up. She is so smart and funny.

Yesterday I went to pick her up from daycare and I heard a baby's cry I didn't recognize (I am weird and know other people's baby's cries LOL, especially babies who I know, my baby friends). Our provider said the new baby had just started that day and so we were thinking she missed her mom. Elle ran up to me and got her things so we could get ready to go. As she was putting on her coat, I asked her what the new baby's name was. She said: "uhhhhh, it is.....I forgot....but she's a human baby!!" Our daycare provider said that she was happy it was a human baby. I thought that was too cute.

Last night DH was watching Jeopardy and it went off, which means bedtime in our house but I was flipping through channels to see if I wanted to watch anything after putting Elle to bed. I saw a screen that said "Brazillian Butlift" and it was an infomercial. Cheesy infomercials are some of my favorite things to watch because they are so hilarious to me so I watched it for a few minutes as I was waiting on Elle to come out of the bathroom and she came in and started cracking up laughing saying "look at that ladies butt!!!" Which made DH and I laugh because if you haven't seen this infomercial, there are before and after pics of women's butts like the DVD is going to shape, lift, and round your rear end. They showed a bunch of pics of women posing their butts and Elle was just giggling saying "why do they keep showing their butts!!! They are crazy!" So I finally got her to stop giggling so much and thought about how maybe she shouldn't be looking at pics of ladies sticking their butts out and took her upstairs to read. As I was changing her clothes I took off her panties so we could put on an overnight pull-up (she has started to wet herself at night and so I had to start putting her in pull ups because she was getting so upset over wetting herself, it was also a battle to get her to wear the pull ups but she had finally started not to flip out over them). While I was getting the pull up off of her dresser and her bottom half of nakey she started dancing like they were doing in the infomercials and doing the exercises, squats and jumps, and she started giggling again and then said "Look Mommy, I can pose like those ladies were doing with their butts," and she struck a pose exactly like them and even started walking around, stopping, and striking other poses saying "look at my butt" and cracking up laughing. She ended up falling on the floor laughing and it took a long time to calm down, mostly because I was cracking up laughing too.

Mommy lesson learned: don't let little goofy girls watch crazy infomercials about the look and size of butts!

Erin

thanks for the link L, I hadn't seen that.

I wish I had some wisdom to offer you. Sounds like it was a frustrating night all around.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL! She and Josh would get along great. He's all about butts right now.

I had that show wipeout on last night and Macie was dying laughing. She kept yelling "BOINK" everytime someone fell.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I had that show wipeout on last night and Macie was dying laughing. She kept yelling "BOINK" everytime someone fell.

Wipeout is Ky's all time favorite show. He laughs the whole way through it! Elle doesn't really like it because she thinks everyone is getting hurt but Ky just loves that show and I sometimes let him watch the whole thing even though he is not allowed to watch TV Mon-Fri just because he enjoys it so much and gets all excited about it.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I dropped him off for the EKG this morning and they just called me back about the stool sample I gave them yesterday (he went poop outside at the vet!) He has roundworm and whipworm.

I'm a little bit upset that the shelter either didn't know or didn't tell us about all these problems.
    Hopefully the EKG comes out ok. Lyme is something that is treatable for sure and given where you live, I'm not surprised he has it. I think up by you and the area of WI where I live has some of the highest Lyme rates. I know both my girls get the Lyme vax yearly and that wasn't something that we even talked about when we lived in Milwaukee. Found a number of ticks in my house last year..and on me and in my bed. ICK. And we do frontline every 4 weeks in the spring, summer, fall (winter isn't quite as often as that).

I know the feeling of bringing the dog home and finding out there are issues. Molly it was coccidia. Is the vet giving a deworming agent, something like Nemex? That is what we used on Molly and she loved it...it was banana flavored....for worming and we did something else to clear up the coccidia.

And Chrissy.....congrats for Conner!!!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Well, the vet called to say that not only was Cosi not responding to the lasix, she was actually getting worse. She said she could give her another shot, but she honestly didn't feel it would help and she suggested we consider having her put down. So it's done. From the time we brought her into the office, they took her in back and I didn't get to see her.
    Mandy, I'm so sorry about your kitty

2/09 6/09 4/14

New England has >50% positive rates for lyme in dogs. It's horrible here.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    New England has >50% positive rates for lyme in dogs. It's horrible here.

I don't know what it is here...I'm in Northwestern Wisconsin. I know that when I lived in Milwaukee, we didn't talk about lyme with the vet at all. My parents never had to vax their dogs for it. First thing the vet did when we moved up here was say that Cosmo needed the lyme vax. I said I thought lyme was only something to worry about up north....DH and the vet were like, um you live up north now.

I quickly learned too that since I run our patient/consumer health library that I needed to keep on hand a number of resources on Lyme in people.
    At least the silver lining is that living here, the docs are all very familiar with Lyme and seem to be much more likely to catch it early on.

Last year the ticks were horrible. I mean I get I have a field behind me but Cosmo wasn't going in the field and DH kept our grass cut. We really don't have trees on our property...just two small ones for now. We did tick checks when were out in the yard and still got them in the house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

One of the few upsides I can find to living in a residential neighborhood with no woods in my backyard is that we rarely get ticks in the yard. But I've gone on a short hike 5 minutes away through tall grass and ended up with over 75 on me. Thankfully those were dog ticks, not deer ticks and do not carry lyme, but still, GROSS. I have many family members and friends who are living with Lyme disease.
    AKA Lisa724

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Edited to be less googleable.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 03-02-2012 at 03:32 PM.

How bizarre! I hope that's it and he's back to normal soon!!
    AKA Lisa724

Lydia, that is nuts it might be the meds! Good thinking.

It would not have occurred to me to even think of that! Bridget is right - good thinking. And I would have been dreadfully upset if my dh had done what yours did. That was out of line.

I hope today is better for you.

Mandy, I'm thinking of you today.

Kate - I would call that shelter and be pretty mad. They should know and disclose any health issues - what if you got this dog and couldn't afford to pay for all the meds and bills right off the bat like that.

Myles - I hope you make it through this busy time okay.

Chrissy - GO CONNOR!!!! I am really happy for all of you. Big high-fives!!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov