Page 946 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 44684689693694494594694794895699610461446 ... LastLast
Results 28,351 to 28,380 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Myles, I must have missed the whole post about School Daze and I didn't know who that guy was that you mentioned until I googled him, because I watch Once Upon a Time and I could tell that's what you were talking about. I love that show, do you watch it?

Kate DH and I REALLY like Once Upon a Time. Haven't seen this weeks yet though...it's waiting on the DVR.

Myles, I'm pretty much blind without my glasses....as in I can only see a few inches tops from my face. But I don't have coke bottle glasses at all. Granted they are more expensive but they can make the lenses pretty thin now and not too heavy and I can wear wire frames. Should he inherit his dad's eyes....he is likely to have a much different experience. My glasses only come off in bed, in the shower (or a pool/hot tub), or on roller coasters (yup I'm the dorky person wearing the fanny pack and keep a case in there for my glasses so I can see while waiting in line...even still I usually am guided by DH onto the rides. LOL)

Hmm, as for above average....my mom was told that about me and had to switch my preschool class to the longer one that was more preK and in school for a while I was in the gifted program until she pulled me out of that. I think it was probably pretty good that I was never treated differently by my parents. They just always said to do my best and that was good enough. When I was in fourth grade I got my first F on some assignment and thought it was the end of the world. My mom said that was good though and that it didn't always have to be perfect and it was ok to fail sometimes.
    I am however kind of lazy....school was mostly pretty easy (minus gym class!) and I did enough to get my A. I have no doubt that I could have done whatever I wanted career and school wise but never had huge career ambitions. But I really just wanted to be happy and am pretty happy. I wanted a husband, dog, normal nice house and a kid. I have almost everything I have ever wanted. My BFF is a lot like me in many ways...same age, same name, many of the same classes in high school, even got married the same year. She's got two kids though.....and is less happy than I am because she places a lot more emphasis on career and has a lot more ambition there. Her husband comes from a family of almost all doctors and things like what school you went to is a big deal.
    I mostly don't really care about things like how much money and where you went to school in determining how successful one is. Though I do a bit when it comes to old classmates in high school....there are some that were all honors and ap classes like me and had all these huge plans and thought their you know what didn't stink. And I have to admit that I get a small part of satisfaction in knowing that a couple of them still haven't finished college or done much of anything and see them as unsuccessful. On the other hand I know a few who never went to school and got married and have kids and I see them as successful as that is what they really wanted and seem happy.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks for the thoughts on glasses, y'all. I guess it was hard to come to terms with for me because Travis has always been so healthy and I've never worried about him over any health issues (other than the constipation that he seems to have outgrown!), so to have someone tell me that there was something 'wrong' with him was a shock at first. I agree, though, little kids with glasses usually are quite cute. I'll probably avoid the temptation of getting him some really expensive fashionable glasses since I've seen how the little boys at school treat their frames when they are at school!

I love Once Upon a Time too and I still refer to Giancarlo Eposito as "Big Brother Alll-My-Tee!" so much that I forget his real name even though I love his name!! Whenever I see him on any other program including Once Upon a Time, I think about Tisha Campbell licking his parted hair and scalp LOL! That was the grossest part of School Daze to me as a kid. I promised myself to never lick a man's head and I have lived up to that promise.

Erin

And Myles just to calm you and your DH about the coke bottle glasses, they really don't make them like that anymore. All the lenses are extra thin and they usually aren't all magnifying glass looking on the eyes anymore either like my little cousin had to endure only about 12 years ago when he was 4 and 5 years old.

And Ash I agree not to get Travis any expensive glasses unless they are the bendable/unbreakable kind. My brother was horrible with glasses when he was a boy. He has worn glasses since he was 18 months old. My mom remembers that it looked like he was just shocked when they put the glasses on him when he was a baby. She said he was just smiling and talking all sorts of baby talk and pointing at everything. She said it made her cry with happiness that he could now see and sadness that he had never seen so clearly before. But he had REALLY thick glasses by the time we were in elementary school and we were on medicaid so had to get "welfare glasses" which were really cheap and really thick and only came in one color for boys - brown. When she finally got a good job when my brother was around 10 my mom got him some glasses that could bend like stretch armstrong and that had the thin lenses and he was and still is amazed at how bendy they were. He could throw them and they wouldn't break. Before that he had to get glasses at least every 6 months because they were always falling off of his face or lenses were popping out or he would just lose them. He ended up losing the bendy glasses on a roller coaster at Cedar point when he was 12 and my mom wanted to spank him but ended up not doing it. Those glasses were over $400, but I have seen them for less now.

Erin

Oh, Erin, I remember those Medicaid glasses; my cousins always had them. I never understood why they didn't just pick the more stylish ones (I had no idea what Medicaid was back then!) That is so sweet about your brother's reaction when he first got his glasses. I can kind of imagine what is must have felt like to finally see things so clearly!

I'll second the bendy glasses (flex frames?). My nephew broke several pairs before they got him one of those, and they only finally changed it because he got sick of wearing the same thing all the time. Also, Costco usually sells the exact same thing as other stores, at half the price.

Oh those super bendy ones are cool. My sister was thinking about a pair of those but ended up keeping her old frames instead.
    Yeah mine are over $400 for the lense and frames (and that includes an employee discount!) but it's mostly the lenses. I'm lucky though and my vision isn't changing much anymore and I can get a couple of years out of a pair of glasses. As a kid, I drastic changes yearly. Probably for Travis, the frames will be more expensive than the lenses....I'm guessing that his prescription isn't too strong.
    It's hard to think of something wrong with a child (guessing...hard enough for me with my doggies). But at least vision is something that the vast majority of people have issues with and it is easy enough to take care of. I only know a handful of people who do not wear contacts or glasses.

Which character on Once Upon a Time are you guys talking about?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Giancarlo is the Genie on Once Upon a Time.

Erin

Oooo, I could fangirl about Once Upon a Time for quite a while. I keep boggling at the writing and the complexity of the story. I have a thing for alternate worlds/realities. Last week's was so good. I still have no recollection of School Daze though LOL. I would never lick anyone's head though--gross!

Ah the genie or Mr. Glass.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hate to just jump in-I've skimmed over and I'm aware of everything that's going on, but I feel a little pressed for time. Ash-I totally get it about Travis's glasses. When Bobbie first needed some I felt a bit sad. I dunno why. Looking back I know it was silly but I think that's just part of a mother. We're gonna want everything perfect and we're gonna worry and there's no getting around it.

I have a clue why they're so 'overwhelmed' in this office despite the fact that there were 5 of them (and now 7) to cover nearly the same amount John & I did alone. The fact is, they're spending a lot of time talking and then the phone gets ringing nonstop (sometimes for an hour straight) and then they spend X amount of time comparing notes and discussing all the calls they just handled....and then it starts up again. The other new guy (Scotty) & I are sitting here like d'oh. We haven't been trained in anything and we're just waiting. When our 'leader' comes to train us (there was a schedule) she starts in by telling us about her calls, and the same thing happens. The other 2 get on the line, the phone rings again, and she takes off. She was getting ready to teach us something and then disappeared again. Since it was 12:50, Scotty & I took it upon ourselves to take our lunch.

Maybe it's just an off day. I do know that whatever schedule they had laid out this a.m. has totally gone out the window. We haven't done any of it. We did 'assist' in an Adobe CS 5.5 install on a Mac though.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I love Once Upon a Time too and I still refer to Giancarlo Eposito as "Big Brother Alll-My-Tee!" so much that I forget his real name even though I love his name!! Whenever I see him on any other program including Once Upon a Time, I think about Tisha Campbell licking his parted hair and scalp LOL! That was the grossest part of School Daze to me as a kid. I promised myself to never lick a man's head and I have lived up to that promise.

Erin
    Ew, ew, ew!! I know! I know! When I was new to the whole physical intimacy thing, there was a brief moment I actually considered trying that on a guy, like, maybe even pointed my tongue at the dude's cowlick or something. And I just couldn't do it.

I do like Once Upon a Time. I love Robert Carlisle and the blonde chick in it. It's really well done, though I honestly don't think the actress who plays the queen is very convincing. She comes off as more of a mean girl than a pure evil character with dizzyingly limitless powers. I think finding the right actor to play an evil antagonist/supervillain is one of the hardest parts of a casting director's job. The wrong person comes off as cheesy. Like John Travolta playing any kind of genius villain (Broken Arrow, Face/Off)? Almost ruins the whole show. He's great in any role where he doesn't have to play smart.

Ashley, I'm so sorry to sound like I was down on glasses. That must have come off as unsupportive, since Travis is going to be getting some. I was speaking from a fearful place based on DH's experience. He was athletic and broke his glasses all the time. His father (of 8 kids) refused to buy him new ones every time he broke them, and so he walked around with Frankengoggles - things like duct tape in the middle or two different temples. I think kids in glasses are adorable too, I really do.

I agree, Myles. She's such a ***** but they could have done more with her. I love to hate her though.

Robert Carlyle, love his characters too! Uggh he's just so slimy. And the way Rumplestiltskin giggles makes my skin crawl.

Chrissy, have you been watching Idol this year? I haven't yet. I'll probably wait until they narrow it down a little bit.

I love the way they have characterized Rumplestilskin! He is my favorite on the show. I think he is much more villain-like than the evil queen. I also don't like Snow White's actress. I don't know why but she is just not Snow White enough for me. But I do enjoy that show even though I don't watch it regularly. I'm one of those people that wait for re-runs and marathons so I can catch up since I have too much going on in the evenings to really watch TV all that regularly.

And that is so weird about your job Chrissy. I would probaby get frustrated though and say something I shouldn't. I hate training for new jobs and being in a training class period.

Erin

Just came back from volunteering to hand Valentines Day cards to seniors with the mom's club. I had my reservations that it'd be patronizing and, sure enough, some seniors looked like they felt like they were being treated like children. I think people need to be very careful in the way they address the elderly. I see too much cooing and fake enthusiasm, and it drives me nuts.
    Last edited by demigraf; 02-14-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Just came back from volunteering to hand Valentines Day cards to seniors with the mom's club. I had my reservations that it'd be patronizing and, sure enough, some seniors looked like they felt like they were being treated like children. I think people need to be very careful in the way they address the elderly. I see too much cooing and fake enthusiasm, and it drives me nuts.
    ugh. Totally. That kind of stuff would piss my grandma right off. After she had her stroke I went to stay with her for a few weeks and there was one speech therapist who was so condenscending in the way she talked! I'm sure she didn't mean to be but oh, my grandma would make faces at her behind her back for my amusement. My grandma was a funny lady though. I remember after my grandpa died my mom suggested my grandma go to the senior citizen club to play cards or bingo or whatever and my grandma said, "Why the hell would I want to go hang around a bunch of old people?" lol She was 75! I imagine myself being that way since I still often forget I'm not 22 anymore.

So far things are falling into place with this job dbf is going for. I'm nervous and excited for him. He's really, really pumped about it and I know he'll be really disappointed if it falls through.

Good luck to dbf Bridget!

I just got the stack of paperwork in the mail that's needed to get Josh registered for kindergarten

Eek...Conner is going to K too. I cant believe they're here already!

Ive sort of been watching Idol. I watched the auditions but will take a break until the group is smaller too.

Good luck to your dbf Bridget. When will he know?

Chrissy, sounds like your job has lots of good perks, that is always a good thing. Sounds like the staff is little unorganized, hopefully it was an off day.

Ashley, I love little kids with glasses! I got glasses when I was 8, and I still remember the feeling of being able to see again! I didn't know how badly my eyesight was, of course I was 8 at the time, so there you go. The first year, I would forget my glasses at home all the time.

Suja, glad to hear your dh got to India. I hope his father is doing okay. That link you shared about Romney and his poor little dog, it seems there is a group called Dogs against Romney. A group of them were at Westminster Dog Show.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/l...204043816.html

Oh I so agree about the tones some people take with the elderly. A few years my mom and I were visiting an old friend of my mom's, she was my mother's babysitter. Anyway, the woman was 85 years old, and it was craft day. The staff kept coaxing the woman to join in on the craft, but we were there visiting her, she didn't want to do the craft. The woman, Irene, looked at me and said just what every 85 year old wants, a ****ed craft!! I started laughing, we actually all had a great laugh about it.

Erin, glad you had a good vacay!! We rented a house near Disney for my entire family one Christmas. It was one of our best trips ever, all of us under one roof. Good times.

I keep hearing about Once Upon a Time, will have to check it out on abc.com. I had to giggle this week at our DVR lineup, we have a show about 19th century England, one about zombies, and then Curious George. ha!

Tomorrow I am touring a potential school for G's VPK next year. There are so many to choose from. There are a few that have really good programs but they don't take the vpk voucher. Luckily the Montessori's school do take the voucher, I am leaning that way.

Bridget, good luck to your dbf. How is Kai doing on the GF diet?
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I have never heard of that show! What channel is it on? We watch all the showtime series'.
    The gluten free diet is going well. I do think Kai is doing better. It's nothing drastic but the rash on his face is gone and he seems less "off". He was doing so much laying around and whining and saying he had a tummy ache or a head ache. There's a lot less of that now. But the true test will be if he starts to grow. He is so funny. Lately dbf and I have been trying to be painstakingly consistent. Any "violation" is instant time out. Basically that's any sassing or any hurtful behavior (to humans or cats). It's going well because there's no more yelling on our part, just a calm simple "five minutes in your room". If they argue they get a minute added. When they come out we talk about how they can handle things different next time. So we really want them to just go sit and think and discourage just going in and playing with toys with little thought to the situation. Kai's always very cooperative, sits quietly, does his time lol.. Today he came out of his timeout and sat with me on the couch. He said, "Mama, I actually played with my lincoln logs during my time out. I thought that would be okay since we aren't supposed to enjoy our time out too much and I don't really enjoy playing with my lincoln logs very much."
    Sounds like good reasoning.

I think it's on ABC. I usually get it On Demand a couple days later but I remembered to record it this week, so I was able to watch it on Monday.

Bridget, Josh complains about headache and stomach ache a lot. Do you think his diet could have something to do with that? What would you recommend if I wanted to change it?

Josh said something similar today-I was reorganizing his playroom and I said since he doesn't read a lot of books during the day we would put most of them upstairs. He said "Mom, I don't read books much because it's not much fun. Everyone has to have a little fun, you know."

Those boys are too funny! I'm cracking up over the Lincoln logs.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

bwahahaha Bridget!!!! Kai is too cute!

See, told you I'm not good with NETs. I read as much as I can, but by the time I get to the text box, I forget all my thoughts on each topic. And so, you get this.

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    See, told you I'm not good with NETs. I read as much as I can, but by the time I get to the text box, I forget all my thoughts on each topic. And so, you get this.
    This is exactly what I was thinking! I'm not very good at keeping up either.
    AKA Lisa724

I'm barely hanging in there myself...but everything is so new at work that I can't focus much on my internet communications. I'm hoping that will change once I'm flying solo here.

That happens to me too. I read a bunch of stuff and I don't want to quote it all so I forget most of it by the time I'm done.

DH fixed my laptop!

Those boys are funny!

And yeah it's on ABC on Sunday nights.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I get left behind too but I will just interject because I'm like that LOL!

I think as this thread has gone on, I've gotten better with it, plus we are all very forgiving in that we do not expect a response to everything.

Erin