Page 944 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 44484489493494294394494594695499410441444 ... LastLast
Results 28,291 to 28,320 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I texted her because Rich said she was still posting on FB so I wasn't sure if she was still coming down. She told me she might go to a friend's house instead. Rich had also texted her and she told him she was definitely coming. Either way, I hope she feels better. Sometimes I really, really hate people.

I did run to the pharmacy and buy some of that stuff you recommended Ash. I'm also taking l-lysine too.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

There are just certain people who do that, Ash. It's not limited to the UK. It does seem to be more female, more linked to low self-esteem, and I do think no matter how people feel about themselves, it's important to be able to accept compliments graciously. It's not a sign of immodestly to say "Thank you" politely.

I would have a very difficult time spending a whole evening around a bunch of women who complained about themselves and everything and everyone around them. Plus I can't see being friends with people like that because they wouldn't be supportive unless you had something to complain about and you would always have to wonder what they said about you when you weren't there.

ETA: Sorry, I have been trying to write this reply for several hours now and I see there have been some more posts since I started writing, but I can't write more now.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 02-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Oh, Chrissy! Who was it? Someone she knows at school or just a random person in a chat room or something? I want to wring his neck.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, I think cyber-bullying is a legally actionable crime in most states. That is reportable to the police.

For sure. Ugh, I hate hearing that.

I think Lydia is right - she can report it to the police and get that person in a lifetime's worth of trouble.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Yeah for sure, report it to the police. That's so messed up
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

She came down and we had a good visit. She doesn't know the person-it was on a message board and he's not one of her 'friends' there. Apparently, he has a 'home page' or whatever and he brags on there about doing that sort of thing to other members. She blocked him so he cannot message or see her any more. I think she's ok.

I think it was more the timing than anything. She talked to the probation officer this week for the guy that assaulted her last June. Friday is his sentencing and even though it's set in stone, Bobbie plans on attending and doing a victim impact statement. It's brought the whole thing back to her and then this ass on a message board had to mess with her. It was more than she could take I guess. Anyway, Jesi returned to school with her and I'll be picking her up and checking in again with Bobbie tomorrow.

Big hugs to all of you.

That is so horrible, Chrissy! What a miserable person someone must be to do that.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Poor kid! She sounds like she is strong, though.

Did y'all hear about Whitney? What a shame!

Yeah, what a shocker about Whitney. This one really hurts for some reason. She was so beautiful and talented, and then just lost to the drugs. This will sounds so cheesy (because it is), but a turning point for me during a particularly bad breakup was going out with friends to a karaoke bar, catching a wine buzz and singing Greatest Love of All to a room full of other drunks who cheered and "woofed" for me. lol. Hers will be one of those celebrity passings for me that I'll always remember where I was when I found out.

I was at the Chinese New Yr parade when one of the guests showed me the news on his phone. Speaking of which... y'know, I'm not a parade-nut like some folks with us last night, and I had my doubts about my friends throwing their daughter a birthday party at the parade, but this was a really high-quality parade. They made it really special. They carved out a sizable spot in the sea of a couple hundred thousand others for all of us to watch the parade together without obstruction, set out a delicious spread, and managed to make it a good mix of people mingling and parade viewing. My highlights were the group from the Tai Chi organization who did walking Tai Chi for the entire parade route, the acrobats, and the Shaolin Temple bad-a$$es doing synchronized stick fighting demos. I'm sure Bodhi's favorite things were the old skool cars/fire trucks, the firecrackers, and the dozens of dragons that streamed along the route. The people who worked the heads were really in tune with where the children were, because even in the dark, they found us with all our kids and made a point to linger at our spot for awhile. Bodhi was so psyched because he got to pat a few dragons and lions. He was talking about how soft the red dragon was before he fell asleep last night. *Smile*

Anyway, I must be PMSing heavily, because I again turned into this self-righteous defender of common decency last night. DH laughs because I tell strangers off when I'm pre-menstrual for things like littering, tossing burning cigarettes out of cars, talking loudly in movies, solo driving in the carpool lane, not picking up dog poop, etc. Anyway, with so many people around, it was ripe for me to unleash my bad energy on people who were pushing their way onto the train before letting others get off. One of my pet peeves. It's funny after the fact, but DH says I opened my arms and physically barricaded the doors to the people trying to board shouting "Let them off! Give them a chance to make room for you before you barge your way in!" I could feel people pushing me from behind. I got a couple of "Right ons" from others. I mostly remember DH laying back a few feet with Bodhi, sighing and laughing and shaking his head at me when we finally regrouped on the train. He asked "Did that make you feel better?" Yes, it did, thankyouverymuch.

Chrissy, poor Bobbie! I hope it wasn't on a message board she was going to for support. That would be the worst. Normally, I'm pleased when I get my very own troll, but I know she's in a very fragile state, making it difficult for her to laugh hateful words like that off. I hope the sentencing goes well this week. Another thing will be behind her.

Ashley, that complainers-night-out sounds hugely annoying. What a let-down it must have been, too, to waste a perfectly good chunk of adult time for yourself on a table full of grown children. Do you have to see these women again? I hope not.
    Last edited by demigraf; 02-12-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Myles, that is HYSTERICAL about you blocking the people at the train! omg what I wouldn't give to have seen that!

Myles, I LOVE that you did that. Love it. Just the thing I would want to do but wouldn't have the proverbial balls.

My stomach flu is back with a vengeance. Fine yesterday. Awful today. Guess I'll send in that stool sample now. THis is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me! I do not get sick. Like, ever. Except now.

It's funny what resonates and what doesn't. I had absolutely no emotional reaction to Whitney's death. I never had a real connection to her music so perhaps that is why. And her drug problems have been so well known that I wasn't surprised either. It is sad, but I am more sad for her child who never had a real parent because of the drugs.

Good for you for blocking those people!

Glad that Bobbie is feeling okay about it, but I still think she ought to report the guy to the cops. Who knows when he might find someone really fragile who will actually take it to heart?

I get to escape today for my second screenprinting class! I really like the four hour chunk of time on the weekend where nothing else is nagging at me (chores, picking up, sweeping) and I can just learn and create with other people. I may have to get my dh to get used to me taking classes on Sundays.

DH is going to Peru in about six weeks with a friend for the friend's 40th birthday. I think they are going to have fun just surfing and hanging out on the beach drinking pisco and staying in hostels. I'm a little peeved because he keeps freaking out about money on me and how I'm not to spend too much on groceries, etc. but at the same time I really want him to go and have fun. Maybe when he comes back he will be more relaxed about everything.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 02-12-2012 at 11:37 AM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

That class sounds great! I know what you mean about needing that time. I've feeling like I need to get out and do something like that soon too. But I made a hair appt for next monday and dbf is freaking out that Sawyer won't be okay for 2.5 hrs. So I may cancel.

I bet Bobby Christine (is that Whitney's daughter's name) still feels like she had a real mother. I feel like we only saw Whitney at her best and worst (just like most famous people). We never saw her just hanging out at home in her jammies alone with her family.

Yipes, I hope he chills out after an awesome vacation like that too, katy. Is it on account of the holiday that he's asking you to watch your spending? So there will be one more Pisco-tini in his future? That would make me doubly angry. Enjoy your class, hun! A 4hr chunk of time to learn and create sounds heavenly.

Bridget, I'm sorry for you and your tummy. Heal up, mama. I hope your family is extra helpful and considerate while tou're (<--autocorrect, hello? is this thing on?) sick.

No, he's been freaking out because December and January were both really expensive months - my cat's problems alone have cost about $700, plus property taxes due and then a couple other large expenses. He's been like this since December. I'm really not angry about the trip at all and have encouraged him to go. I just want to not have to ask before I buy something more than $50. I think he will ease up when finances even out in the spring. I hope so.

ETA: He has been waffling on an annual trip we make every August to Minnesota, so I got him to promise that if he goes on this then we will be able to go on that trip. Getting out of TX in August is the only way I can survive the summer.

I am sure that Bobbi Kristina loved her mom and I know that WH loved her as well, but I don't think that having a drug addict for a mom sets you up really well in life.

Sawyer will be fine for 2.5 hours - I hope you don't cancel.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 02-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.

You're a very nice wife for not feeling a twinge about hubby's vacation. I confess I'd be a bit resentful, but it'd only be in cases where DH is going some place I want to go as well. DH is actually planning to hike the John Muir Trail this year, which will take from 10-14 days, and he has my blessing. I guess I'm not too eager to eat out of a bear canister for 2 weeks, so more power to him.

Yay for your trip to Minnesota!

Id have a really hard time with his vacation only because of the comments hes made about money, especially in regards to things you want to do.

Mules, apparently my autocorrect isn't working either.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    OMG, that's funny right there!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    OMG, that's funny right there!
    I didn't even see that! Lmao!

Whitney's death saddened me. She was one of the first adult contemporary cassettes I owned when I graduated from children's music to top 40 stuff. When I wrote letters to my first boyfriend I used to quote Whitney songs to him So yeah, it made me sad that an icon from my childhood passed away.

How I found out-DH's ipad beeped with a news notification. My first reaction was that it was a hoax but I realized if the real news stations was announcing it, it wasn't.

So today was the meeting for the ethical eating curriculum that I mentioned to you guys. It sounds like it's going to be neat. I don't think we'll be doing cooking classes every week but we'll be talking about stuff like gardening, food situations around the world (how different cultures eat, how there is less food for people in certain regions), how to eat healthy, the effects of different kinds of food on the body, etc.

I feel a little hypocritical helping out with classes on eating healthy. We're not shy about fast food and I had to laugh (inwardly, of course) at the other moms who were turning up their noses at fruit snacks! I really can't stand snobbery when it comes to how other people eat. I mean yes if vegan diet works for you or you avoid food dyes and chemicals and all that, that is great but don't make other people feel bad for not doing that.

Josh will not be old enough for the program this year anyway so at least he won't be shocking anyone by telling them he likes to go to Wendy's!

Ha ha (hee) haw!!! I love it!!

Kate, that class sounds super interesting. I'd love to take a course like that.

I don't get that either Kate. I'm always happy when other people can stick with the healthy, organic diet but I don't do it. I'll buy organic when I can but I wont drive out of my way for it. And I think we eat healthy more often than not, but we do have boxed Mac & Cheese in the house. Burger King is like crack to me. I cannot judge anyone else for eating fast food!
    Last edited by missychrissy; 02-12-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typing on my Kindle Fire is going to kill me. Or at the very least make me look like a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Ha ha (hee) haw!!!
    I so love your quick wit!

mules, apparently my autocorrect isn't working either.
    lol!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

This particular course is going to be for 1st-6th grade all together during the spring months but there some mention of possibly starting up some adult classes too.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    So today was the meeting for the ethical eating curriculum that I mentioned to you guys. It sounds like it's going to be neat. I don't think we'll be doing cooking classes every week but we'll be talking about stuff like gardening, food situations around the world (how different cultures eat, how there is less food for people in certain regions), how to eat healthy, the effects of different kinds of food on the body, etc.

I feel a little hypocritical helping out with classes on eating healthy. We're not shy about fast food and I had to laugh (inwardly, of course) at the other moms who were turning up their noses at fruit snacks! I really can't stand snobbery when it comes to how other people eat. I mean yes if vegan diet works for you or you avoid food dyes and chemicals and all that, that is great but don't make other people feel bad for not doing that.
    I eat organic foods as much as possible and what some people would consider overly healthy, I guess. Anytime I fall off the whole-food wagon my body and mind react badly... I feel slower, both physically and mentally.

I won't give Abbey food dyes or refined sugar. I know there are people who think I'm snobby about food because I'm at their house and won't eat whatever food is around (or let Abbey eat it either). I've never once said that other people shouldn't eat whatever they want, but sometimes just by virtue of making sure Abbey and I are eating healthy, people think I'm a food snob. I'm not going to eat meat or processed cheese or Oreos just to be a nice guest.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

That's really cool Kate. It might turn into a real opportunity for you.