Page 941 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 44184189193193994094194294395199110411441 ... LastLast
Results 28,201 to 28,230 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

How sad.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Lisa, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you.
    AKA Lisa724

I'm sorry to hear about your losses, Lisa and Chrissy.

One of my English teachers from when I was 11 died just recently of cancer and she was only 46. It really hit home for me.

Molly, that's really sweet about Abbey. She's looking after her momma's feelings.

Gosh, y'all, I am in such a bad mood today. I want to just hit the fast forward button and get to tomorrow already so that I can start over. Cash has not been well, so he's been keeping me up all through the night for the past 3 nights. I'm still not over the cough and sore throat. I still have a pulled muscle in my side as well, so overall, I am one cranky lady today. Oh, and to add on top of all that, Travis is still being a little swine lately with his sassiness and miserableness. My patience is running on low today. I even had a brownie and a latte to try to cheer myself up but that didn't work. I feel like I need to workout to get some negative energy out of me, but with the pulled muscle, I am not up to much other than carrying 2 whiney boys around. So, I'll end this post with a bah humbug for now.

to Lisa and Chrissy, I'm sorry for your losses.

Ash, can you go swimming? I don't know if they have community pools over the pond, ha. But that might help your muscle and get some exercise, and wear the sassiness out of your boys too.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

AbbeysMom, (sorry, I don't know everyone's names yet) I really like your response in Bridgets thread about religion in daycare. I feel the exact same way about the impact of religion on our world and history.
    AKA Lisa724

Hugs, Lisa and Chrissy.

Sorry Ash, I hope this day goes fast for you!

I just got an e mail from the director of religious education at my church (I'm a Unitarian Universalist, for the newcomers) about possibly helping to start up an ethical eating program for 1st to 6th graders where we come up with activities for them to do about healthy and ethical eating. I felt like with my cooking background I couldn't not sign up even though I'm not really active in the church anymore. Who knows, maybe this will help me find my niche.

Lisa, sorry for your loss.

Chrissy, I had some great teachers in school and it's always sad and strange to think of them as gone. I wish my kid could have gone to my old grade school and had a few of them.

Ash, sorry that you aren't feeling well and hurting AND the boys are being a handful.

L, wow that is a LOT of kids books! I only have a handful so far.....course adult books or YA, different story. Though it is getting less and less as I rarely buy them anymore and just use the public library. Will be interesting to see how many I accumulate with a baby. I already have a list started at Amazon.

Kate, your story and Josh's are so cute. Good for you to think of the turtle already having his home on his back.... And I'm sure that it was a frustrating day yesterday but I have to admit that it's a bit funny too.

I'm another sicko over here. Got the cough now. And DH is sick. And tomorrow we have to leave at 5:15am to get to Cosmo's ophthalomology appt in the twin cities. I normally get up at 6:50 or 7am....not 4am.
    I'm just not looking forward to tomorrow.
    Plus DH's work has been really slow lately and they have been doing a number of 4 day weeks instead of 5 days and sending home people that are still through the staffing agency. DH is not, at 4 years there he's got some of the highest seniority. But he's a bit concerned that if things don't pick up (and it's been projected to be slow through June) that layoffs might happen. He was one that stayed on when they did this last time when the economy first crashed so I would think that he would probably not be high on the list to layoff.....he never calls in sick, not a slacker and cares about the parts being good quality....and he's a cheaper employee being that he's on my health insurance. But still liked it better and felt more stability when it was mandatory OT. If he did get laid off, the adoption would have to go on hold for sure.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Jennifer I hope it doesn't come to them laying your dh off! It sounds like he's a great worker so I don't think he'll be anywhere near the first to be cut.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you feel tons better by tomorrow. I think I'd cry if I had to get up at 4:00 am!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I just got an e mail from the director of religious education at my church (I'm a Unitarian Universalist, for the newcomers) about possibly helping to start up an ethical eating program for 1st to 6th graders where we come up with activities for them to do about healthy and ethical eating. I felt like with my cooking background I couldn't not sign up even though I'm not really active in the church anymore. Who knows, maybe this will help me find my niche.
    Oh wow Kate! That's excellent!! It sounds like a great fit for you!

They still need a couple more people to sign up if it's to happen, though. I hope it happens.

Yeah I don't think it will get that far but of you sometimes can't help but think of worst case.

I am so not happy about the early day tomorrow. But it's one day so I can deal. It will be good to find out what is wrong with her eyes and what if anything we can do for it.

Kate I think that group sounds good and that would be the best way to get to know people and fit in. I hope that they find a few more people. Plus that topic is so right for a UU group of kids.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We have TONS of kids books here too, and no real place to store them! Ugh! I don't even want to count, it's pretty ridiculous. We have to read for a good 30 minutes before bed otherwise Remy will freak out and won't go to bed. Boy loves his books. (Just like his mommy) But sadly, I haven't had a chance to get to the library since Seren was born, so I normally end up falling asleep almost as soon as I get her to sleep. Eh, such is life.
    Last edited by Inca; 02-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.

**Lizzo**

I confess I checked out all of Bridget's thread and had a very self-centered response. I mean, in addition to agreeing with you girls, and wanting to give pepperlu a big wet smooch for her response to the woman who didn't see where she might
    have been offensive...what crossed my mind was what rich APA lives you have outside this room. What interesting dialogues you have, and what grace is summoned in representing your secular viewpoints. A part of me felt a pang of regret that I haven't involved myself more out there. I'm not quite sure where I'd find the time, though. The half hour it took me to read the 6 pages cost me a trip to the grocery to buy stuff to make enchiladas out of other stuff that'll go bad tonight. I didn't even feel the time passing, and that was just one thread. That was a very tangible loss, considering my family is stuck with "stuff" soup again. ;) So can I just share my appreciation for you and give you all a great big

Love you girls! (Bridget, of course you are handling it appropriately and having a deliberate conversation is the best approach, in my mind).

Speaking of which, have you talked to that child's parents yet Bridget? How did it go, if so?

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    We have TONS of kids books here too, and no real place to store them! Ugh! I don't even want to count, it's pretty ridiculous. We have to read for a good 30 minutes before bed otherwise Remy will freak out and won't go to bed. Boy loves his books. (Just like his mommy) But sadly, I haven't had a chance to get to the library since Seren was born, so I normally end up falling asleep almost as soon as I get her to sleep. Eh, such is life.
    We have some ladies in here who love to read too.

But um you have a new baby....probably most people wouldn't be getting to the library, especially in the winter with a new baby! I mean my new baby is a puppy and can be left home alone in her kennel....and I still haven't been doing as much as we used to, including going to the library (well the public library....I go to my work library 5 days a week). LOL I am just lucky and we have a used book cart at work so when something good (to me at least) comes in, I sneak if and put it in my desk drawer and I now have a drawer full of books. so I have been getting through some of those books and getting them back on the cart for others to read.

We just got this book in the library and I thought it looked interesting.....especially since in the past many of us have said that in IRL we tend to be more introverts.
    http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-In...8826171&sr=8-1

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That book looks good Jennifer!

I guess I'm an introvert. My problem with talking in real life is I stammer a lot and I don't think I'm interesting to listen to and when I talk I really can see people's eyes wandering or glazing over, so I sense the disinterest and stop. When I "talk" online I don't see any of that so I feel free to keep blabbing on.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Have any of you ever read this article?

Caring for your Introvert

I, like the author, enjoy getting out and socializing, but I find it draining, and the best way to recharge my batteries is to spend quiet time in solitude. DH is the same way. My sister is the exact opposite, and absolutely cannot understand why my preference is to have quiet birthday dinners or nature walks instead of being surrounded by 30 of my closest friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    Speaking of which, have you talked to that child's parents yet Bridget? How did it go, if so?
    She just left! I talked to her. I basically stressed that I don't get involved in the conversations unless they argue at which point I stress the beauty of diversity. And that anything her daughter may come home saying comes from mouths of babes and not from the mouth of Bridget It was a very pleasant conversation and she said had no problems with it and would handle it the same way I am. *Phew*
    Thanks for asking!

Mylah,

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Have any of you ever read this article?

Caring for your Introvert

I, like the author, enjoy getting out and socializing, but I find it draining, and the best way to recharge my batteries is to spend quiet time in solitude. DH is the same way. My sister is the exact opposite, and absolutely cannot understand why my preference is to have quiet birthday dinners or nature walks instead of being surrounded by 30 of my closest friends.
    That's me exactly.

Bridget, I'm so glad the talk went well. Of course she would understand.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Your library has good books, Jennifer! On that topic...I've been mistaken for an extrovert so many times in my life that I've recently started to wonder if I am one. Reading the interview w/ the author, though, reaffirmed my assumption that I'm an introvert. I am fairly active and animated around others, and generally not shy, but I need my time alone. That could explain why I prefer solitary sports and my favorite travel experiences have been solo ones.

I'm really interested in reading that book now. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer. I have read this book, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/074328...8832074&sr=8-1 , which might be a good companion to yours. I realize that introversion doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with liking to do things on one's own, but I have a feeling the books share a similar sentiment.

I totally missed what you were going through Bridget and I want to read all about it. Is it in New Moms? I'm confident that your way was the 'right' way because you're just that kind. No, I don't think you're perfect, but I know you put a lot of thought into other people's feelings and you're a caring, tactful person.

Tomorrow is my last day at my 'old' job. I expect it will be full of tears.

I really don't know what I am. I can talk a blue streak about things I'm passionate about or feel like I have a good grasp of. But I don't keep up well with chats about current events, politics or other things people I know typically talk about because I just can't form a coherent opinion on the spot about certain things. The benefit of posting online is that I can take as long as I need to post something, go back and edit, etc.

On 2nd thought, I'm kinda surprised at the author's assertion that introverts are more cooperative. I'm guessing she has studies to back that up. I know "introvert" isn't synonymous with "recluse", but the most
    reclusive people I know are super grumps who avoid others specifically because they want to have everything their own way.
    Just a thought...

I think I'm a natural introvert that's learned to be comfortable as an extrovert. I enjoy people and Kate, if we were together in a park, I'd talk about things like the sunshine or how scary looking the swings looked or whatever. Making conversation with people isn't often a struggle for me. It really only is if they clearly don't want to talk (snobs!). I'm totally comfortable in silence though and don't feel pressure to talk nonstop.

I do need alone time to recharge though. I appreciate long car rides with words unspoken.

That's a good point, Myles. Extroverts can be very accomodating because they want to please everyone. Or they can be very aggressive, Type A. I don't think introvert/extrovert has much to do with cooparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    That's a good point, Myles. Extroverts can be very accomodating because they want to please everyone. Or they can be very aggressive, Type A. I don't think introvert/extrovert has much to do with cooparation.
    Me either.

Ugh, I didn't notice I misspelled that word and you quoted me! Now it's preserved forever!

Yay! Sounds like you had a great conversation with her mom!

There is a program at my library where I can search the whole state's database and if they don't have it at my library they will ship it in and I can check it out for up to 6 weeks I think (1 re-check allowed) and I used to do that ALL the time because even with just Remy it was hard to pick out a book without him running off somewhere. The trouble is now actually GETTING to the library. I'm lucky if I make it out of the house more than once a week. Actually, it pretty much is only once a week to go Grocery shopping on Sundays. Sometimes I can go somewhere else Saturday but then I feel like I wasted a day that I could have been relaxing.

**Lizzo**

I can go a long time without speaking to anyone. DH calls them uncomfortable silences but I don't feel that way. When I'm standing around at the playground though and parents are near me I struggle to think of something to say and I start getting worried that they think I'm a snob and then I realize, well they're not talking to me either! So maybe we're both snobs. LOL

There's a library right next door to Josh's preschool, so we're there almost every day. There's a cute educational program on their computer that Josh plays with almost every time we go. I'm not sure how often we'll go when he's going to a different school next year. I think they start bringing the kids to the school library to take things out in K or 1st grade though.