Page 932 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 43283288292293093193293393494298210321432 ... LastLast
Results 27,931 to 27,960 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Gwenn, how are you feeling today? I have to admit, every time I see you're the last one who posted, I get a little rush of hope and excitement to read what news you might have.

I made a small ... very small... donation to PP today too in show of solidarity with them. I wish I'd known about the In Honor of ... option too. I was just saying to my DH that I was going to do the SGK Race for the Cure this year, and have decided against it. I imagine it's no longer going to go over very well in San Francisco anymore.
    Don't get too excited yet. I'm trying to hold off until this weekend.

But so far my phantom (or real) symptoms include:
    -wanting a nap after work most days and extreme tiredness
    -so far I've peed three times in about 5 hours - I am not a frequent pee-er
    -feeling warmer than usual
    -as mentioned, cramping/bloating/gassiness
    -localized crampiness around 7dpo

Take all of it with a grain of salt. I have a fabulous imagination and tend to being a hypochondriac.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-01-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Crampiness, not campiness!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Frequent peeing was my first symptom. We went for a hike the day before I tested, and I had to go to a pit toilet on the way. That was gross.

Ick.

I will confess to stopping for an iced chai on my way home from work, though. I know, bad, caffeine - but still, it's almost all milk so there couldn't have been THAT much caffeine in whatever tea does get mixed in with the milk. Could it really have made me pee more?

Just to give you an idea, Mandy, I can go about 8 hours without a pee break. Training from going to school in India, where the toilets made that pit look like a bathroom at The Ritz. I peed before we left, before the hike, after the hike, and as soon as we got home. 4 times in about 5 hours. WAY more than normal. I didn't put two and two together until after I tested, because I didn't know that was a symptom. Anyway, testing day can't come soon enough, and we're hoping for good news.

Peeing all the time was one of my first symptoms as well. Up at least four times a night to pee.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

LOL, Suja, I credit my iron bladder to the bathrooms at my public high school.

I haven't been up at night to pee yet. I'll keep you posted about tonight. I kind of have to pee again and have since I posted that last comment.

All fingers and toes crossed for you Mandy. I hope you woke up at least once to pee in the middle of the night.

The SGK sucks, and it's sad that they buckled to pressure from loud fringe groups.

I saw that letter too and it's beautiful! I agree with Myles, he had a great sense of humor too.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Molly, how are YOU feeling today? Is Abbey starting to develop a fascination with your belly?

I know there are a lot of dog-lovers in this room, so ... this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

Take all of it with a grain of salt. I have a fabulous imagination and tend to being a hypochondriac.
    I'm keeping my for you!!!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

BTW, thank you Suja & Katy for the recipe ideas with chard. I should have mentioned earlier that I've been doing the no-meat thing for a couple of months now. I don't really consider myself a vegetarian, since I plan to continue eating meat sporadically and still enjoy fish (so a "flexitarian" then? a "vegequarian"? ), so I'll save those recipes for a time when I've re-introduced bacon & chicken stock into my diet.

Molly, how are YOU feeling today? Is Abbey starting to develop a fascination with your belly?

I know there are a lot of dog-lovers in this room, so ... this.
    That's horrible...but if the box was air tight, how was diarrhea leaking out of it?

Ugg I have hated him since I first heard what he did to his poor dog last election. I don't care what side a person is on, I would feel the same way if Pres. Obama did that to Bo. I do not think that you can a person of good judgement and character and be cruel to animals.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

...since I plan to continue eating meat sporadically and still enjoy fish (so a "flexitarian" then? a "vegequarian"? ), so I'll save those recipes for a time when I've re-introduced bacon & chicken stock into my diet. ..
    You can do that without causing yourself digestion problems? Someone dared Bobbie to eat a wee bit of meat last summer (after being a vegetarian for 2+ years) and it made her sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ugg I have hated him since I first heard what he did to his poor dog last election. I don't care what side a person is on, I would feel the same way if Pres. Obama did that to Bo. I do not think that you can a person of good judgement and character and be cruel to animals.
    Agreed. Who was that that said we can judge a society by how we treat our animals?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    That's horrible...but if the box was air tight, how was diarrhea leaking out of it?

Exactly. Plus if it was air-tight, um the dog would died from not having enough oxygen.

And here I am trying to figure out what to do with little Molly next Friday when Cosmo has her eye appt. She will be just a few days shy of 5 months old. Cosmo's appt is 8:45 so we need to leave like 5-5:30am as it's in the cities and we need to go through downtown and it will be rush hour. We are guessing we will not be back until sometime between 12-2pm.

So which is less mean to her....board her overnight Thursday or keep her at home in a kennel. She can go overnight like 8-9 hours before waking and needing to use the potty.
    She hasn't been away from us for more than a few hours except when my parents watched her at xmas for 8-9 hours but than she had her Cosmo with her.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Wow, he put his dog on the ROOF of his car? That is heartless. Nothing else I can say about that. Just ugh.

Mandy, I'm still sending you baby vibes! I can't wait for the weekend! I hope hope hope you get a BFP this weekend!

Myles, I'll send you some no period vibes, too. Periods on vacation should not be allowed.

In my news of the day, Travis has been exceptionally horrible today to everyone, so he has gone to bed early without his pillow. I am at my wits end with his behavior when it comes to sharing. He just can't seem to do it at all. Not with Cash, not with his cousins, not with anyone. If I try to persuade him to share, there are big tears and screams and we usually just end up going home since he is causing such a big scene. I hope this is a phase and that he gets over it quickly. If not, he and I will both need therapy to get through this!

Based on your replies I am not going to read that article. I hate when I hear about animals abused and I totally agree you have have something evil in you to abuse an animal. I hate seeing those pics people are putting on facebook of the 2 dogs hanging from the tree. I can't get those images out of my head once I see them.

I was a vegetarian (ok, not really because I still ate fish) for over 4 years and when I started eating meat again it did not make me sick at all. But I was never disgusted by meat itself. Just the chemicals, hormones, additives that were in it along with the unethical treatment of animals in factory farms. So maybe for someone who is digusted by meat it would make them sick to eat it. I craved it so much when I was pregnant with Savana so I figured my body needed it.

I'm starting my thurs night dinners with dad and bro again! Yay! Sawyer has done much better in his carseat when I run errands around town so hopefully he will be good on the 40 minute drive.

Savana told us she hated us last night in a fit of rage. I was horrified. I don't really allow my kids to use that word at all only because I think it's important to say what you mean and mean what you say so to say you hate something is really, really strong. She apologized for it later but I hear some of these things coming out of her mouth that I know she picked up at school and it just bugs me. It all started because she was laying across the mini trampoline when Kai wanted to jump on it to dbf told her to lay somewhere else and she freaked. It ended up being over an hour of her screaming, yelling, stomping after we sent her to her room. The smallest things like that set her off and she will not calm down for anything. Well, unless she gets what she wants but obviously that can't happen. It was a horrible night.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Wow, he put his dog on the ROOF of his car? That is heartless. Nothing else I can say about that. Just ugh.

Mandy, I'm still sending you baby vibes! I can't wait for the weekend! I hope hope hope you get a BFP this weekend!

Myles, I'll send you some no period vibes, too. Periods on vacation should not be allowed.

In my news of the day, Travis has been exceptionally horrible today to everyone, so he has gone to bed early without his pillow. I am at my wits end with his behavior when it comes to sharing. He just can't seem to do it at all. Not with Cash, not with his cousins, not with anyone. If I try to persuade him to share, there are big tears and screams and we usually just end up going home since he is causing such a big scene. I hope this is a phase and that he gets over it quickly. If not, he and I will both need therapy to get through this!
    We posted at the same time!! Maybe we should lock Travis and Savana alone in a room together. She can't share either. But for the record, it's totally normal for a 3 year old to have trouble sharing. It's not a concept most kids understand until they are a few years older. I mean, they can be forced to share of course but it won't be for intrinsic reasons. It's rough though, I agree with that.

LOL....I don't have you as a friend on FB, do I? I posted today about how a woman came up and complained to me about how Travis was scaring her daugher.....you do not want to lock him up with S. LOL. (He was following the girl around making growling noises for the record; I can see the woman's point of view and saw that she had 2 daughters, so she wouldn't be used to that boyish trait of growling).

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I've actually heard two schools of thought on this. The most common one is that all young kids should share everything. Another is that even as adults, we do not share all our possessions and it's not really fair to expect our kids to do so. It's suggested to allow each child to have 'special' things that are their own that they never have to share. The caveat is that they cannot take them anywhere, and if they have friends over they have to be put up. I'm not sure if this is helpful in your situation or not. I did what you did when my girls wouldn't behave when we were out...we left! They turned out ok, but they still won't share their computers. Well, I guess they will with their friends when they're over for the night, but not with each other!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Savana told us she hated us last night in a fit of rage. I was horrified. I don't really allow my kids to use that word at all only because I think it's important to say what you mean and mean what you say so to say you hate something is really, really strong. She apologized for it later but I hear some of these things coming out of her mouth that I know she picked up at school and it just bugs me. It all started because she was laying across the mini trampoline when Kai wanted to jump on it to dbf told her to lay somewhere else and she freaked. It ended up being over an hour of her screaming, yelling, stomping after we sent her to her room. The smallest things like that set her off and she will not calm down for anything. Well, unless she gets what she wants but obviously that can't happen. It was a horrible night.
    (((BIG HUGS))) Conner has moments just like that bolded part. I think some kids are just more sensitive to being told 'no' than others. It never really seemed to effect Bobbie at all. Jesi would try to do what she wanted when we weren't looking (actually, not much unlike she is today!). Syd was like that a little, but not to the extent Conner is. It doesn't matter how consistent we are either...if Conner is in the mood to be temperamental, there's no changing his mind.

So I cannot offer words of wisdom to make it all go away, but at least you know you're not alone? I have 18 years experience being a Mom and I still feel clueless!

LOL....I don't have you as a friend on FB, do I? I posted today about how a woman came up and complained to me about how Travis was scaring her daugher.....you do not want to lock him up with S. LOL. (He was following the girl around making growling noises for the record; I can see the woman's point of view and saw that she had 2 daughters, so she wouldn't be used to that boyish trait of growling).
    Awww...I think Conner & Travis would be great buds. They might not bring out the best in each other though. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Exactly. Plus if it was air-tight, um the dog would died from not having enough oxygen.

And here I am trying to figure out what to do with little Molly next Friday when Cosmo has her eye appt. She will be just a few days shy of 5 months old. Cosmo's appt is 8:45 so we need to leave like 5-5:30am as it's in the cities and we need to go through downtown and it will be rush hour. We are guessing we will not be back until sometime between 12-2pm.

So which is less mean to her....board her overnight Thursday or keep her at home in a kennel. She can go overnight like 8-9 hours before waking and needing to use the potty.
    She hasn't been away from us for more than a few hours except when my parents watched her at xmas for 8-9 hours but than she had her Cosmo with her.
    Sorry-I was totally going to respond to this too Jennifer. Do you have someone you already know and trust to dog-sit? If you do, I'd go with that route. If they're experienced, I'm sure they can put Molly at ease while she's with them and she'll have a much better time.

Mitt makes my skin crawl. He seriously gives me the creeps. I had never heard that story before. I must confess I get most of my political news from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. If I watch "regular" news about politics, I can't focus, my brain leaves the building, and I daydream.

Ashley, I totally feel you on the sharing. The other day G's little neighbor friend came over, and she & Gilly was playing nicely, until suddenly I heard "MINE!". G was in a funk, so after awhile I told them it was time to play outside. They usually play so well together, they've been friends since they were babies.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Jennifer, a dog walker to let her out to potty and run off a vit of energy will work. Leave her with a frozen Kong. Pups need to learn to be by themselves anyway.

Mira is only two, and man, can she pitch some mega tantrums! And for the record, if Travis had followed her growling, she would've growled right back, only louder. Poor kid, ALL the kids in her life are boys.

I was mortified to hear that a grown man would think it's a good idea to strap a crate and dog on top of the car, drive for 12 hours, stopping only to hose down the car, crate, dog and all, to clean off the diarrhea. And he still thinks that the dog enjoyed the ride. Clueless, utterly clueless.

Sorry to go on and on about this, but this is excellent, IMO:http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/...sucks-part-47/

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Sorry-I was totally going to respond to this too Jennifer. Do you have someone you already know and trust to dog-sit? If you do, I'd go with that route. If they're experienced, I'm sure they can put Molly at ease while she's with them and she'll have a much better time.
    No and that is the problem. All our family lives 5-6 hours away and we haven't developed close friendships with people up here yet. Plus it is a Friday so the people we do know will all be at work. The other issue is she uses a litter box so we would have to bring that with to the kennel. I have only gotten her potty outside like 2 times....when we were traveling down for xmas and ended up having Cosmo go first and than put her right over the spot and waited a while and telling her to go potty before she would. Eventually we will go with both like with Cosmo...who mostly uses the outside now.

This has really been a big problem for us. I won't kennel Cosmo at this point. She's 8 yrs old and we only did it once many years ago. So basically we cannot do a weekend away or a vacation unless we head to Milwaukee (well close enough) to drop her off with my parents. Cosmo is very sensitive and super attached to me and it would really hurt her feelings I think to be kenneled...we stopped kenneling her like 6 years ago and she's used to sleeping with people. Molly is still a baby and is used to be kenneled at home and isn't quite so attached to us yet (she is really attached to Cosmo).

I'm just torn between leaving her home in one of the kennels (we have two, a bigger one and a smaller one) or boarding her for the night. It would have been nice to have someone come up and watch her but looks like neither side could get off work for the drive up.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

I am so excited for you...Hope this is it!

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Jennifer, a dog walker to let her out to potty and run off a vit of energy will work. Leave her with a frozen Kong. Pups need to learn to be by themselves anyway.

I don't think dog walkers are common here like in the city and well this might sound awful but she's only gone on a few walks before. Has been on a lead outside when it's been warmer for a few minutes (I'm fairly far up north so think cold, snow). Walks are something we do more when it's nicer outside. We do play a lot inside and the girls chase (well Molly gets Cosmo to chase her) and we do fetch and they play a lot of tug o war together. I'm guessing that she's only about 12-13 lbs right now so doesn't need as much space to play.
    And really for a puppy, she's fairly low key. Give her some play and the rest of the time she's usually content to lie in front of the fireplace with a rawhide (she does really well with them and just chews them and doesn't tug off big pieces) or some other toys.

I don't know, maybe if we give her some time in the morning to run around and play and have some breakfast (usually pretty good about going potty in the morning pretty quickly), it will be ok to leave her home. I was just feeling guilty about having her locked up for the night while we sleep and not giving her the 2-3 hours in the am free that she is used to.

I have heard of frozen kongs but never did that before. Just throw it in the freezer? She has a small puppy sized one that is one the toys I kennel her with (I don't put her in with rawhides or any of the stuffed ones as I watch those).

Uggg, I'm just really stressed about the whole thing. So far weather looks ok but it's early. It's a long drive and I don't like being in traffic so hoping I can avoid a panic attack....I'm not used to big city traffic so much anymore and I'm not even driving....DH is and it's not a big deal to him. I'm stressed about the cost of the appt and what he is going to say is wrong with her eyes. And than what the treatment might consist of. I'm an awful eye person....I give all the eye requests to my boss because they gross me out and can't handle doing drops or contacts on myself. Almost certain we will probably end up with drops. And than I worry that it's going to require a lot of rechecks/monitoring.....and we live a couple hours away and of course he doesn't have Saturday hours. Maybe he could communicate with our local vet what to do (local vet recommended we go to this vet ophthalmologist).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Cosmo in hat.jpgDogs in sunlight.jpgsnuggling sisters.jpg

If you look at Cosmo bigger, you can see the red eyes...where the whites are normally. Both eyes have the red whites. The other two are the girls together. Cosmo isn't that into snuggling yet but will go for it a little if Molly isn't climbing on her or trying to lick her face.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 02-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Your doggies are so cute, Jennifer! I hope to get a dog one of these days when I come to grips with raising 2 boys! LOL

Thanks Ash! Course your boys are very cute. Not a bad idea to wait until the boys are a little older.....I think that I would have gone insane trying to have a puppy with a baby or toddler. Even at 4.5 months old, she needs a lot of supervision and it's like, ok what does Molly have in her mouth now....and being two adults, we keep the house clean and picked up. Guest room has a baby gate so she can't get in there (plant in there wasn't happy with the door closed), office and our room we keep the doors closed. And she is in her house when we cannot watch her.
    The first four weeks, I did feel like I was going to go crazy....she was little so didn't sleep through the night. But unlike a baby, when she cried, I had to ignore it lest I teach her that crying gets her out of her kennel (exception was to go potty of course). Took a while before she knew her name or really any words like no or sit.....yet was mobile and curious.

Definitely easier now that she knows some things and sleeps all night. Will be even better when she stops biting and stops eating naughty stuff (tissue out of the bathroom garbage, Cosmo poo (we do pick it up but Cosmo runs into the litter so fast and Molly is right behind her faster than we are)...chewing on my couch though the apple bitter spray seems to have helped that.

Yeah I'm really hoping for at least a few more months before we would get a call for a baby.....I need a few more months to get her trained. She will be a really great family dog though....has a good little personality and really likes people and kids.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, look on something like Craigslist. You might find a retiree or college student with references who can give Molly a break from the crate in the morning. A good dogwalker will do whatever you ask, so they can stop by, give her access to her litterbox, play with her in the house, etc. And if it works out, you can work up to taking a vacation without the dogs in tow. Also, I wanted to say there are tons of places that offer cageless boarding. They are basically doggie daycares, so as long as your dogs are fine with other dogs, they'll basically spend time with other dogs and humans in supervised play, and sleep in one room with all the other dogs and at least one human to keep them company.

There are tons of things you can do with a Kong. What I like to do is to plug the small end with peanut butter, fill with a little kibble, then some plain, non fat yogurt or cottage cheese, more kibble, etc. then wedge a dog biscuit in the big opening and cement in place with either wet food or PB. Then freeze. The moisture will make the kibbles clump together, and it takes work for the dog to get it out. If I forget to do this, I'll just stick some cheese in there and zap in the microwave. The cheese melts, the Kong rolls as the turntable rotates, coating the insides with cheese. Cool and serve.