Page 931 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 43183188192192993093193293394198110311431 ... LastLast
Results 27,901 to 27,930 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

Home sick today. Boo. Even canceled my hair cut this evening and I was really looking forward to it.

Mandy I was just checking yesterday to see how many dpo you are. Didn't say anything in case you were trying to keep distracted from thinking about it. I think cramping is way more common than people think. It's just so many pg's are surprises and they weren't thinking of every little change like we can. Definitely post in here. I know stc used to be pretty busy but they either graduate or have moved on.

Katy, I agree sounds like asthma/allergies. Or panic attacks. And i have to say that most of the ones I have had were at times I wasn't feeling feeling stressful.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Did you guys see this? http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/01...ld-master.html

A friend of mine researched it, and this is what she wrote:

"I found him in the 1870 census, living in Dayton, Ohio with his wife, Mandy and their children Jane, Felix, William, and Andrew, and Mandy''s mother, Percella. Very cool! And I found a birth 1876 record for their daughter Ava. Jourdan was working as a hostler, Mandy was keeping house. Jourdan could not read or write, and Mandy could read but not write. The three oldest children were attending school."

And this:

"I also found Jourdan and his wife, Mandy, in the 1900 census. He's listed there as a retired butler. His son, Valentine, is a physician."
    "Mandy outlived her husband. She's listed as head of household in the 1910 census."
    Oh wow. Just...wow. Now that guy has dignity, not to mention my kind of sense of humor. I liked this part:

Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me.

Jennifer, I'm sorry you're at home sick! I would have liked to have had my hair shampooed today too. Feel better!

I have been unwell myself since last week, but it's weird the way it creeps up on me. Bodhi had a tummy virus, and DH & I were queasy on and off. I get very nauseous in yoga, probably because of the heat. And I still get queasy when I eat, though I haven't gotten sick in any way, really.

While you guys are sending Mandy no AF vibes, I hope it's ok if I try to catch a few strays for myself. No, I'm not trying to get PG, at least not for another 3 months. I'm just trying to hold off on getting my period for at least another week so it doesn't come when I'm on vacation. My LMP started on New Year's eve, and I typically have a 5-6 week cycle. However, for some reason, I think the cycle is becoming shorter. I have terrible cramps and bloating today. If AF comes before 2/7 and I stick to this new 4-wk cycle, that means, I could be visited by it again while on holiday. That would be a major drag. I've been planning my period for months! LOL.

Sorry you guys are sick. No fun.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, and M I do hope AF stays away!

Stupid Susan G Komen foundation is pissing me right off. I went and sent my annual contribution to SGK to Planned Parenthood instead. Too bad I can't use invectives here.

I'm disappointed too Suja. I was reading that people have donated $400,000 since that came out.

$400,000 to Planned Parenthood that is.

i support them by having 3 daughters and being a secular-liberal Mom. We have ins. and aren't eligible for any sliding scale fee, but I figure they probably know women's health best and they can probably use as many full paying patients as they can get. I know Medicaid doesn't pay the full amount. In NY it's just 75%

The sad thing is that a loss of contributions to SGK also hurts women's health. This is a no-win situation, but I stand with PP on this.

It's an idiotic pr move. There's no way out now that they have politicized themselves. They continue with this and lose all pro-choice supporters. They reverse course and lose all their pro-life supporters.

I sent in a donation to PP today, but I used the "in honor of" page and did it in honor of the senior VP of Public Policy, Karen Handel. She unsuccessfully ran for governor of Georgia, endorsed by Palin, and one of her campaign promises was to defund Planned Parenthood. If you want me to pm you her address so you can also donate to PP in honor of her, I would be more than happy to give you that information.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Thanks for all the love, guys! Creepy or not!

Jennifer, I'm 10dpo today. Trying to hold off until this weekend to test.

Suja, before I clicked on that link I was so confused about Mandy in your paragraph. I will definitely read the full article. The paragraph I read was excellent.

Katy, you're right. They made a political move, and from now on any choice they make will piss someone off. Very stupid move for what should be a nonpartisan charity. They're such a huge charity, too - it seems crazy.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Also, I wanted to share - yesterday I was thinking and wondering a lot about a little one I evaluated earlier this year, and thinking how sad it was I didn't know how she was doing.

Today we had a big meeting and all the SLPs were required to be there - which means I ran into quite a few old friends/colleagues. Two different people who are now working with kids I used to see let me know the kids still ask about me every so often. One little guy was one the very first kid I added to my caseload, who hadn't received services before I picked him up. He was in first grade at the time, and he was a stutterer. His current SLP told me today that he will be starting middle school next year and doing really well. She said he asks about me and she tells him whenever she sees me. I'm so glad I told her to say hi for me! He had a really cool family, and I was thinking of them all just the other day.

My other friend/mentor was telling me how grateful she was that I sent her a little on that I tested this year. She said she's talking a lot more now and this was the perfect placement for her.

Sometimes things kind of work themselves out. I didn't hear about the little one I was wondering about (can't remember where she went) but it's nice to know my kids still miss me and are doing well.

You'll likely never know the breadth of good you've given in many of their lives. I'm sure it's wonderful to hear about them.

What happened with the Susan G Komen foundation? I donated once, on the nkotb cruise last year. One of their mothers died of breast cancer and now he is a huge supporter of the Komen foundation.

I was without internet again all day. Grr!

Sorry you're sick Jennifer.

Myles I hope your period holds off!

The have withdrawn financial support to Planned Parenthood that paid for mammograms due to pressure because PP supports abortion.

SGK defunded Planned Parenthood, because of a certain political witchhunt investigation. The funds were to be used by PP to do breast exams, breast cancer screenings, awareness campaigns, etc. for poor women and women in underserved communities. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/abo...sure-38620.htm

I wish I had known about the 'In Honor Of' thing. Handel needs to be fired.
    Last edited by Suja; 02-01-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    The have withdrawn financial support to Planned Parenthood that paid for mammograms due to pressure because PP supports abortion.
    Oh boo

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Oh wow. Just...wow. Now that guy has dignity, not to mention my kind of sense of humor. I liked this part:
    That was a great quote.

After reading and then re-thinking, my favorite part is where he said the teacher told him his son could be a preacher. Secular thread aside, just imagine what it must have felt like for an illiterate slave to think of the possibility of his son having a high-status, educated profession. That is going to stay with me for a long time. How awesome is that?

That was a great quote.

After reading and then re-thinking, my favorite part is where he said the teacher told him his son could be a preacher. Secular thread aside, just imagine what it must have felt like for an illiterate slave to think of the possibility of his son having a high-status, educated profession. That is going to stay with me for a long time. How awesome is that?
    And my friend's research says that one of his sons became a physician. I was thrilled to read that.

And my friend's research says that one of his sons became a physician. I was thrilled to read that.
    I know. That's so amazing. I was struck by the quiet pride I read between the lines. Imagine how proud he must have been of the physician son!

I know. That's so amazing. I was struck by the quiet pride I read between the lines. Imagine how proud he must have been of the physician son!
    I read that about the pastor and physician sons too and was struck by how incredibly successful they were in just 1 generation of freedom-and what that must have meant to his parents. I'm sure I cannot imagine. You can tell, though, that he was a very eloquent, intelligent man despite being born and raised a slave, so it's not totally surprising that he was able to raise equally bright children.

Oh, no doubt he was extremely intelligent.

Oh, no doubt he was extremely intelligent.
    For one thing, he provided that dignified response to someone who was completely undeserving of it. Me, I would've told the good Colonel to FOAD. Not particularly elegant or dignified, but highly satisfying.

For one thing, he provided that dignified response to someone who was completely undeserving of it. Me, I would've told the good Colonel to FOAD. Not particularly elegant or dignified, but highly satisfying.
    Yes. But I am sure that letter was also extremely satisfying.

Gwenn, how are you feeling today? I have to admit, every time I see you're the last one who posted, I get a little rush of hope and excitement to read what news you might have.

I made a small ... very small... donation to PP today too in show of solidarity with them. I wish I'd known about the In Honor of ... option too. I was just saying to my DH that I was going to do the SGK Race for the Cure this year, and have decided against it. I imagine it's no longer going to go over very well in San Francisco anymore.

Ugh, that SGK move makes me sad. Is nothing sacred? That orgination also rubbed me the wrong way when they attacked other charities for using the ribbon symbol and wanted to own the words "for the cure". It felt money hungry. My dad always says that finding the cure is a futile effort, that money should go towards prevention (planned parenthood) and for making those who cannot beat it as comfortable as they can (ie: hospice care). I see his point and have to agree. This just solidifies that for me.

BTW, does anyone have a recipe they like for red or rainbow chard? I'm kinda bored with the olive oil/garlic thing. The internet searches haven't turned up anything exciting either.

Add some bacon to it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

BTW, does anyone have a recipe they like for red or rainbow chard? I'm kinda bored with the olive oil/garlic thing. The internet searches haven't turned up anything exciting either.
    I don't like her, but this recipe looks interesting/different:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

... I was just saying to my DH that I was going to do the SGK Race for the Cure this year, and have decided against it. I imagine it's no longer going to go over very well in San Francisco anymore.
    It's like they put no thought into their actions at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ugh, that SGK move makes me sad. Is nothing sacred? That orgination also rubbed me the wrong way when they attacked other charities for using the ribbon symbol and wanted to own the words "for the cure". It felt money hungry. My dad always says that finding the cure is a futile effort, that money should go towards prevention (planned parenthood) and for making those who cannot beat it as comfortable as they can (ie: hospice care). I see his point and have to agree. This just solidifies that for me.
    That's right-I nearly forgot about that but it bugged me too and I had the same perception when they raised all that fuss about 'for the cure' and the pink ribbon.