Page 927 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 427 827 877 917925926927928929 937 977 1027 1427 ... LastLast
Results 27,781 to 27,810 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ahh. 30 was difficult for me. I normally like my birthday but it just seemed weird to be entering a new decade.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mylah, DS was talking to me with great fascination about the vacuum cleaner in Bodhi's room. He said it had a removable part, and it was big, and he examined it in detail but it didn't work because it wasn't plugged in. DD told him it didn't work because it was a toy. He insisted it was not. Can you clear it up for us? We only have a Roomba, so they are not exposed to 'real' vacuum cleaners very often.

I wish they would make working vacuum cleaners for children.

I've enjoyed getting older thus far.

We have a central vacuum and Josh has great fun dragging around the hose, helping out.

The kid loves cleaning. He was devastated because I told him I was going to mop and sweep the bedroom while he was visiting the inlaws one day. He begged me to wait for him to do it.

Bridget, Jessica was marked as not being able to count in Kindergarten because she absolutely refused to for her teacher. I don't know why. She could easily count to 100 and beyond at home. Personally, I wouldn't put any weight on it at all. In the long run, school records are meaningless. Especially elementary school records. The only issue that might come up is Savanna could be hurt by her teacher's assessment of her. I know I hated school, and particularly my teachers, because of stuff they wrote on my report card!

Kate-that's so cute about Josh running around cleaning up to earn more money! Conner is saving $26 because he wants a specific game for his computer. He has about $8 so far. We count every week. I used to make sandwiches and coffees for my parents for 5 cents. lol

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL!
    I told him if he helps make his bed and cleans his room he can get 5 cents every day. We've tried the reward system with stickers and stuff and it hasn't stuck but maybe the money reward is more exciting. I don't want him to expect to get paid for everything he does though.

Now that you mention it, Josh doesn't "perform" as well for his teachers as he does for me either. She said he counted to 20 and he can actually count over 100. I guess she was only looking for up to 20, though.

I was (still am) always terrible at reading comprehension.

I agree with Chrissy, Bridget about Savana's comprehension at school. She is probably looking for something specific. I actually would not write a note, I'd ask for a conference and ask her about Savana's comprehension. I would ask in what area is she lacking and would want examples but not in a confrontational sort of way but more of in a "we can work on meeting that standard at home" sort of way. Ky got a "not meeting standards" rating in something recently, homework completion, but he has been completing his homework regularly. He was not last semester but he improved in the 2nd quarter and got a 90% for homework completion on his percentage scores (our school does not have an actual letter grade system and even our percentages are not grades, our school will not let a child move on to the next level in whatever subject, unless they pass with an 85% or above so all the kids get As and Bs). I personally think they made a mistake and didn't change the score from first semester in regards to Ky's homework and I will speak with them about it during our spring parent teacher conference.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 01-28-2012 at 12:50 PM.

I posted a questions in NMs & MIG but I really wanted your opinions: http://americanpregnancy.org/forums/showthread.php?349187-Food-intolerance-brought-about-by-pregnancy

Bridget, Abbey loves our dust buster and calls her "her" vacuum. DH made a similar comment about how we were really missing out on an opportunity for child labor when we bought her a toy vacuum, ha.

Lydia, hope your DH pepped up and you had fun today!
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 01-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

What would you guys do in the following situation?

Josh has been complaining for a while, mostly at night, about stomach aches. I had a feeling it was just an attempt to prolong bedtime but I took him in and they didn't find anything. Tonight he says he has a headache, stomach ache and his legs hurt. Could it just be growing pains? He really tells me this 90% of the time at night but sometimes during the day he'll complain about a stomach ache. He seems to poop regularly and all that. Any thoughts?

I absolutely had allergies ONLY while pregnant. The good news is as soon as I gave birth, I was again allergy free.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    What would you guys do in the following situation?

Josh has been complaining for a while, mostly at night, about stomach aches. I had a feeling it was just an attempt to prolong bedtime but I took him in and they didn't find anything. Tonight he says he has a headache, stomach ache and his legs hurt. Could it just be growing pains? He really tells me this 90% of the time at night but sometimes during the day he'll complain about a stomach ache. He seems to poop regularly and all that. Any thoughts?
    Poor guy. It could be growing pains, or it could be a 'cry' for more attention for whatever reason.

He's been more affectionate lately. You also saw my FB post about him feeling "old" not sure what that was all about.

I would just hate to think he just wants attention and have it actually be something physical.

Chrissy, I was wandering around outside our padded room and found this thread. She has a pet bird and I thought you might be able to help her. http://americanpregnancy.org/forums/...have-pet-birds

I don't know, Kate. This is part of my worry about Kai too is that he is always saying he doesn't feel good, or his stomach hurts. It's so difficult to pinpoint the problem because they can't quite tell us what's going on since they have no idea. Like, Savana often used to tell me she's hungry when I know she's really tired as if she can't differentiate sometimes. Like, something is wrong but they don't know what.

ETA: Misspelled name!
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.

I'm Kate, girlwonder is Katy Sorry, I'm just sensitive about being called Katie/Katy.
    So I shouldn't feel bad about not bringing him to the doctor every time he tells me his stomach hurts?

Sorry! Just a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I absolutely had allergies ONLY while pregnant. The good news is as soon as I gave birth, I was again allergy free.
    That's so good to hear! The jalapeņo thing really scared me, but I could give up jalapeņos. Soy, wheat and dairy all at once, when I already don't eat meat... IDK. I'm having trouble. I did good all day, eating things like corn tortillas and eggs for breakfast, avocado sushi and fruit for lunch. Tonight I ate some potato chips and a ginger ale for a snack, and was fine. Then I broke down after putting off dinner for too long, ate a cheese sandwich, and promptly threw up. Sorry if TMI.

Kate, If it makes you feel any better, last weekend I texted my close friend to let her know that her boyfriend was also invited to my house and i said, "Bring Pablo!" and her boyfriend's name is Davide.

Pregnancy related allergies! The human body is crazy!
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-28-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    So I shouldn't feel bad about not bringing him to the doctor every time he tells me his stomach hurts?
    Absolutely not! Goodness, even today if I took my kids to the dr every time they had a tummy ache, I'd be working 2 jobs with insurance and still bankrupt! Sometimes it is just about getting attention or feeling out of sorts for some reason.

I had allergies when I was pregnant with Bobbie and Conner, but not the other two. Mine were the watery eyes, stuffy nose, etc but they only happened during pregnancy. I see no reason why a woman can't develop other types of allergies while pregnant as well.

I don't know why I got into such a snit about you calling me Katie, Bridget. Sorry! Funny story about "Pablo" LOL
    Guess you can't really blame autocorrect for that one...

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Kate, If it makes you feel any better, last weekend I texted my close friend to let her know that her boyfriend was also invited to my house and i said, "Bring Pablo!" and her boyfriend's name is Davide.

Pregnancy related allergies! The human body is crazy!
    Maybe you REALLY wanted to liven up the party!

As far as the allergies go, I briefly searched for something evidence-based yesterday and then I had to get off the computer for some reason, but I couldn't find anything. I did find a bunch of regular people posting that they had new onset food allergies or food sensitivities during pregnancy, but no medical or scientific articles. There was also a lot of talk about pregnancy-specific lactose intolerance, but again, nothing that I could find that had evidence on my brief search.

Kate, DD gets off and on stomach aches, too. The other night she started crying and couldn't finish her dinner (even with dh's birthday brownie and ice cream for dessert) because it hurt too much. Some times I think it's just a gas bubble, and other times I think she is constipated (she tends to that direction). I check her temperature, ask if she feels like she needs to throw up or if she needs to poop, and if she doesn't need to do either one I have her lie down, either on her left side with her knees bent or prone with her knees tucked under her and I give her a warm rice sack for her belly. Some people are more sensitive to visceral sensations or pain. If I ever have abdominal cramping, I am pretty much out of commission. I can handle other types of pain pretty well, but give me a stomach ache and I just lie there and whimper and wish I was dead.

Lydia, I couldn't find anything concrete (as in a confirmed medical study) to back it up either... and I kind of thought like Erin when the jalapeņo reaction happened, that the timing during pregnancy was just coincidental. But now all these food issues make me wonder. And it seems like there are plenty of things that aren't studied on pregnant women, because most pregnant women won't compromise a pregnancy by being a guinea pig for medical studies.

ETA: And I really think the food issues are an intolerance, not an allergy. It's like I can't properly digest them right now.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 01-29-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks for the advice, Lydia. I'll try those ideas next time!

So, speaking of pain at bedtime...
    Josh fell down a couple stairs in the basement tonight. He was down there with DH wearing a hard plastic power rangers mask and I guess he was playing on the stairs and I heard him fall. He has a pretty good bump on his forehead but other than that he's fine. I kept an eye on him and not even a few minutes after the fall he was happy again but he has a headache. He also says he has a stomach ache again and I told him to bend his knees up.

Unfortunately the hot/cold pack is being used as a cold pack tonight for his head

Oh no! Poor guy! I'm sure it must have been scary to fall down the stairs. I only said that 'cause I recall very vividly falling down our basement stairs when I was about 4 and it was horrifying for me at the time. Actually, I think it still would be.

We've been to Bobbie's college twice this weekend. It's 45 minutes away! First she needed deodorant and she was out of $. We took that up last night. Today Rich saw she posted on FB that she didn't have any food! So we took her some of our extras (and we have no reserves now) and some cash. I told her if she doesn't get her student loan check before Saturday, I'll buy her more groceries. She's supposed to start working at the McDonalds up there, but they needed a release from her current McDonalds before they hired her. I don't know why she didn't say anything yesterday when we were up there. I thought she had all that taken care of.

I can't win with her. I'd ask if she had everything set for college and she'd assure me she did. If I asked about specifics (books, financial aid, money) she'd get huffy and tell me I had no faith in her or didn't trust her. So I was 'trusting' her when she said she had everything ready for school and then found out she didn't plan for food. It's really, really hard to not treat her like a kid when she does this. I didn't say that. I don't want a fight. But I will say dealing with 18 year olds makes no sense.

I shouldn't say she didn't plan for food. She has a 8 meal a week meal plan and she did take some food with her. It just didn't go as far as she thought it would. Her roommates were really good to her and when we got up there tonight one was making enough baked mac & cheese to share with her. I have already made a mental note to take Bobbie & her 'mates out for dinner some time. Or, if they prefer, spring for pizza for them.

Chrissy, maybe she isn't planning like she ought to because she knows you guys will bail her out.

I've done the same thing WRT name. A friend's partner's name is Alberto. In my email, I asked him how Roberto was doing. Oopsie!
    Last edited by Suja; 01-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.

I don't know what you mean by that. She's only been "on her own" since Tuesday. I don't expect her to think of every contingency yet.

I'm certainly not going to let her starve to teach her a lesson.

My mama would have done the same thing, Chrissy.

I am drowning in housework. Drowning, drowning, drowning.