Page 926 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 42682687691692492592692792893697610261426 ... LastLast
Results 27,751 to 27,780 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I love all the imaginary friends stories! Josh doesn't seem to have any yet. I had a lot, growing up. I named my toes, and I had imaginary alligators, and later, when I became a Pippi Longstocking fan, Tommy and Annika were my imaginary friends.

I was three when I told my mom that I had a husband. But he was a pain in the a$$, so I put poison in his food and buried him under the tree by the gate. Freaked grandma right out, 'cause she thought I was remembering some incident from my previous incarnation Later, I had 5 husbands, but they were all cricket players. And alive.

Yes, DH has been warned about my homicidal tendencies.

And I hope my child grows up to be this gutsy, whatever her belief system happens to be: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46160046.../#.TyLadvmwXSk

Suja that is funny!

My invisible friend was Cynthia and her parents died in a fire so she was living with us.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My imaginary friend was called Dundee. Yep. I watched a lot of Crocodile Dundee as a child!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I was three when I told my mom that I had a husband. But he was a pain in the a$$, so I put poison in his food and buried him under the tree by the gate. Freaked grandma right out, 'cause she thought I was remembering some incident from my previous incarnation Later, I had 5 husbands, but they were all cricket players. And alive.

Oh my! Did they check under the tree, to be sure? ;)

And I hope my child grows up to be this gutsy, whatever her belief system happens to be: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46160046.../#.TyLadvmwXSk

Good for her!
    I do like the sentiment of the prayer. It would be perfectly fine if it didn't mention heavenly father and amen.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Yeah, well not any more. That's one of the drawbacks of leaving my current position and I have to give up my macbook pro. I cannot think about these things or else I'll start crying.
    OK. I feel dumb for not having read that properly. I'd been in the market for CS for Windows (DH insists on being a Mac person, who can't share his software with me). And Adobe is one company that is very proactive against software sharing, so I'd have little choice but to buy the full version at some point. Wishful thinking made me mis-read what you'd written. Sorry about that.

Your imaginary karma is very, very bad. But your imaginary athletic schedule is very rich.

I got Adobe CS for free when I started teaching and haven't even downloaded it yet.

I'm used to using the GIMP and other open source alternatives at this point, and scared of becoming dependent on $oftware like that.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh my! Did they check under the tree, to be sure? ;)
    Heh. I gave them a family name that they were unfamiliar with. Years later, one of my aunts was going through the obituaries, and found the family does in fact exist. They didn't think it would be prudent to call them up and ask if someone in the family had gone missing under mysterious circumstances, or if they found a dead dude buried under a certain tree

Like!

It's painful to start the talking process, but this is exactly the kind of dialogue that needs to happen between believers and non-believers. The fact that it was opened by a 16 year old is just amazing. I hate it that the townspeople have turned her into a bit of a Frankenstein's monster.

To be honest, I can see the point of those who said they can appreciate the values the prayer espoused from a secular viewpoint, even though they were framed within a religious context. The prayer on the wall probably wouldn't have made me too uncomfortable. I like seeing little quotes from various scriptures appearing as "wisdom", even in public spaces. If it came to the point where the public tried to suppress the display of a Muslim or Jewish prayer alongside it, that's where I'd start to get angry. I tend to stand on the side that favors more expression and a diverse assortment of it, not less of it.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Your imaginary karma is very, very bad. But your imaginary athletic schedule is very rich.

We have polyandry in our mythology. Long story short - Guy wins girl's hand. Comes home with his 4 brothers and says 'Mom, look what we brought'. Mom says 'Whatever it is, you guys share'. Next thing you know, she's got 5 husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    To be honest, I can see the point of those who said they can appreciate the values the prayer espoused from a secular viewpoint, even though they were framed within a religious context. The prayer on the wall probably wouldn't have made me too uncomfortable. I like seeing little quotes from various scriptures appearing as "wisdom", even in public spaces. If it came to the point where the public tried to suppress the display of a Muslim or Jewish prayer alongside it, that's where I'd start to get angry. I tend to stand on the side that favors more expression and a diverse assortment of it, not less of it.
    I don't necessarily have any issues with prayers, but this ends up being unconstitutional, and can (and should, IMO) be challenged on the constitutionality issue. The content of the prayer itself is fine, and would be fine if the religious context is taken out of it.

Heh. I gave them a family name that they were unfamiliar with. Years later, one of my aunts was going through the obituaries, and found the family does in fact exist. They didn't think it would be prudent to call them up and ask if someone in the family had gone missing under mysterious circumstances, or if they found a dead dude buried under a certain tree

Yeah, I guess not!

I don't necessarily have any issues with prayers, but this ends up being unconstitutional, and can (and should, IMO) be challenged on the constitutionality issue. The content of the prayer itself is fine, and would be fine if the religious context is taken out of it.
    I agree.

ETA: And I have to say the amount of backlash and harassment this girl received from public officials for standing up for her constitutional rights reeks of hypocrisy.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 01-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.

I'm still going through the ruling to find the language that establishes the banner's unconstitutionality, but if anyone else is interested, here it is... all 40 pages of it. (Procrastination, anyone?) : http://news.providencejournal.com/br...ion_011112.pdf

Suja, I love your imaginary activities!

My brother's name was Paul, and my RL friend around age 4 or so was also a Paul so we called him by his first and middle names (Paul Olaf). At some point I acquired an imaginary friend whose name was Scooble Paul Olaf. SPO lived in our attic. We were close friends for years.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

sorry, I'm just catching up. busy day. I'll have to go back and read about that girl and see what's going on. I just wanted to say I don't think I've every had a bday party for my kids where we didn't offer food. Most the time it's pizza, and if it's early in the day I only have about 2-3 slices per person because I figure it's just lunch, but the thought of having a party without food for all the guests just seems wrong to me. Pizza, chips, punch, cake and ice cream. I thought they were the basic staples for all birthday parties! I don't think I've ever been to one where those things weren't offered either.

Some years I've felt suzie-homemaker-like and have baked lasagna or cooked spaghetti dinners for everyone.

For me I don't care about losing the Adobe CS. I didn't use it at all. But my two teens did and they've learned a lot. They'll get to keep whatever is already installed but they won't get any more and if they upgrade computers, that's it. They're done. I'm certainly never going to buy it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I do not have a clue what any of this computer stuff is that you all are talking about. God help me if I ever get a job that requires computer knowledge. I will have a lot of catching up to do.

I did not have an imaginary friend that I can recall. Savana used to have a mouse on her head that was actually responsible for saying anything that slipped out of her mouth that she wasn't supposed to say. Kai makes me set a place at the table for Jack and Annie (Magic Treehouse) if we are having french toast or mashed potato since it is their favorite.

I am in the process of de-wheating my kitchen. Supposedly even bit of old wheat flour or crumbs of bread in cabinets can sabotage the entire gluten free diet. I am ashamed to say that we have been living in filth. lol I have emptied most of my cabinets and drawers and holy crumb factory. I would feel like this task was very daunting if it wasn't for the benefit of killing 2 birds with one stone. My kitchen needed major cleaning. I'm still not done but I am waiting for dbf to move Kai into the bedroom so the vacuum doesn't wake him.

So Savana got her report card. I'm not really concerned about the specifics for the most part. I know exactly where she needs more work and have no worries at all that she is doing just fine academically. One thing has been bugging me. Her teacher rated her below average on being able to answer simple questions about a story. Now we read like fiends around here. We've been reading chapter books since she was 3. She can go to the magic treehouse webpage and answer questions from books we read over a year ago. I ask questions after books all the time to see if and what they are getting from the story. My point being that her teacher likely has not seen so much that Savana has to offer. Nor has she likely seen so much that so many have to offer in that class. 29 kids, one teacher. How could she know? Not the biggest deal in the world but another point against this way of education. Charter school enrollment starts in a few weeks. I hope I can get her in.

My brother called to tell me his bff is in the hospital with double mastitis (baby about 5 wks old) and the dr's and nurses are telling her she should give up breastfeeding. Grrr. I told him it was obviously her choice but if she wants to keep going to call me.
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-27-2012 at 10:04 PM.

That makes me sad about the teacher not knowing that. It's her job to know that if she is grading on that skill. She should know where every kid is in the ability to answer questions. When I worked with school age kids, I could have told you where every one of my students was in that skill - and I'm not a reading teacher. Even when I had 48 kids.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-27-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Okay, so I'm not crazy to be bothered by that? Dbf thinks I'm making too big a deal. And by too big a deal I guess he means because I told him it it kind of bothers me. I'm not throwing a fit or anything. It's just that reading comprehension is probably one of Savana's biggest strengths. Should I mention something in a note? It does say on the report card that parent comments are welcome.

Probably mention something in the note about how well she does at home.

Sorry about your brother's bff. I don't know anything about mastitis or how to get through it but I hope she can.

I would definitely mention it so it was on record.

I would also contact the teacher and ask what skills she was measuring in order to make her assessment because "Savana is capable of this, this & this..." and it's surprising that those aptitudes weren't taken into consideration.

And give up BF-ing because of mastitis? I hope she calls you.

Bridget, the only thing I can think of is that either you're completely right and the teacher has too many students to connect with each of them, or Savana isn't engaging with her the way she does with you, for whatever reason. I really hope you have luck getting her into that charter school! What's the cap on students at that school?

Yes, Molly. I do wonder if Savana in engaging her although it seems to me Savana speaks to her quite often as she often shares with me the conversations they have. I just realized I already signted and sent back the report card since Savana was very adamant that I do it immediately so that it wouldn't be late.

I got to sleep in today! 7am! WOOT WOOT!

Hooray for sleeping in!

Josh counted the money in his piggy bank yesterday and he has almost $10. He wants to buy something with it so we said if he earns enough to get to $10 today he can buy something. He ran around looking for things to do. He made his bed, picked up his room and decided to practice reading (we don't pay him for reading, just for the record ). He picked out a few words but I could tell he mostly has just memorized the story

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I just noticed the time stamp on your post and was ready to commiserate with you for being up so early and in my sleep-fogged brain did not realize the time difference. Yay for getting sleep.

I ended up sleeping all night in the lower bunk in the kids' room, with DD and Baby S, and got practically no sleep. I originally just went into the bunk bed by myself, because the twins have been asking about having a special treat of one of us sleep with one of them in there and one of them sleep in our bed, but then Baby S. woke up 8 times between 11 and 12:30 PM, and the last time he started yelling DH woke up too and suggested he just wasn't going to stay asleep in his crib. So I asked the baby if he understood that he would need to be quiet if he slept in the bunk bed and he shouted "YEAH!" but he kind of was. He just spent most of the night flopping around and pulling my hair and poking me in the eyes or occasionally forgetting and yelling, "WHAT'S THAT CALLED?" Five short hours later, he and DD were up for good, but sleepy. I have them wrapped in blankets, drinking milk on the couch.

Baby S. had this brief 2-week period of sleeping well after we came back from Mexico, and now he's been waking up more and more at night again. Last night was the worst in a series. I don't know what to do, and if this is molars or something where it will be months, I'm even more at a loss.

It's DH's birthday today, and I've been trying to talk to him for a while about what we might be able to do, and I haven't been able to. The other night after the kids went to bed I asked him about when we might be able to schedule our annual date day, and he seemed really impatient and then he had to go check on a child and told me just a minute and then did not resume when he came back. I went to the grocery store after work yesterday so I wouldn't have to interrupt our day today, and had to call him to see what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He told me, but it was short and terse and I felt terrible for taking an extra two seconds to ask what kind of potatoes he wanted to go with the meat. So, as of yesterday, I hadn't gotten him a present because I felt like his new car was enough of a present for a long time, but then I started feeling like maybe I could make the day more special. I quickly did some research into some things, and thought of some classes he'd love (either glassworking or metalworking) or a performance driving course with his new car, or maybe we could do a day trip somewhere with the kids, up to Sonoma or over to Gold Country. I wanted to do something that would light him up and make his birthday more fun than just the reminder that he's getting older. But after not being able to schedule a date day with him, having trouble talking to him about dinner, and not knowing if he scheduled an oil change for his car today like he mentioned he might, and not even getting a chance to talk to him about whether he'd want a day just to himself as a treat, I am just so annoyed I don't want to do anything anymore.

Okay /feeling sorry for myself. The coffee is starting to kick in. I'm starting off the day fresh, and hopefully I can be cheerful today.

Bridget, I agree with everyone else about Savana and the teacher. The only other thing I can think of to add is that you could try to talk to the teacher and ask for specific examples. Maybe this is all done in a big classroom setting, and Savana isn't speaking up as much at that point, or maybe they are looking for certain things to be gotten out of the story - symbolism and morals, for example, and not just actions and emotions, and she's not 'answering to the test.' I know you don't like conflict, understandably, but you could do it in a way that is asking for clarification and understanding.

I feel like I haven't been in here much this week because DH was out of town and I felt kind of busy. I am impressed with the sheer quantity and scope of imaginary friends listed. I never had one. Kind of wish I did. I had a little sister that was around all the time, and she bit me.

Aw Lydia. I'm sorry your sister bit you! (reminds me of that video "Charlie bit me", have you seen it? It's super cute)

Sorry about the struggles with planning for date night and DH's birthday. I hope he perks up. Is he depressed about his birthday?

After taking 3 days off from work last week for being sick DH decided to take off for the day to play in a tournament for a game he plays. I kind of wish he had stayed home and worked on painting the living room wall so we can put Josh's toys back. Oh well.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

DH does hate getting older with a passion. He most likely is depressed about it. This is 39 for him, also.