Page 920 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 42082087091091891992092192293097010201420 ... LastLast
Results 27,571 to 27,600 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    C, when is the party? I have an album of "Bob the Builder" remixes that I'd love to send you. B is about to outgrow his orange BTB hoodie too and I could send it to you for N to wear when he grows into it. Let's PM to get me your e-mail/snail mail info.
    Awww that would be so sweet of you! His party is on the 5th I'm so excited

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Gwenn, Baby S. is a terrible test-taker. He would never consent to be evaluated, more than likely. People come up to him in public all the time and try to talk to him and he smiles but doesn't say anything, and then the second they walk away he starts jabbering "Where that guy go? Where he go? What's he doing?" He sings all the time, so the other day I was trying to video him singing some songs, and he was taunting me. I would ask him to sing a song, and he'd start singing and then shout "NO!" after a line or two. He'd sing "Baa baa black NO!" and then crack up. I'd suggest another song, so he'd start singing, "Twinkle, twinkle, little NO!" I enlisted DD for help, and she started singing to help him out (mind you, these are songs he sings in entirety all the time), and she sang, hoping he'd join in. Uh-uh. He watched her and sang along, "I'm a little tea-NO!" I don't know why he was being so contrary.

When he was in the room preparing for his nap today and I was folding laundry near him, he called me over and asked me for a tissue and said he needed it to clean up. I realized his face and hands were wet and smelled like puke. Hmm. Then he pointed out a wet spot in his crib. I don't know how he threw up without me hearing him, but apparently he did. I asked him if his tummy hurt, and told him he threw up. He said his tummy didn't hurt, but his throat hurt. I guess that could be just because of the acid, though. Again, I'm really glad of his communication skills in times like this.

I cannot imagine having a child that doesn't do much more than babble and being read to send him to kindergarten, but I imagine that child would have special accommodations, right? I'm trying to push my twins more and more to do stuff on their own, in preparation for kindergarten. I think they're pretty good in most areas on the kindergarten readiness checklists except they don't know our address and phone numbers yet and they need to be able to do some more self-care stuff. They can't always zip or button their own jackets, and I often prepare their food so much that they aren't good at opening containers or eating food in its whole form. Like I always cut and core apples, or peel and segment oranges, or take cheese out of the wrapper for them. When they occasionally run into a juice container with a straw at a party, they have no idea how to take the straw out and puncture the carton because they never have those. Plus although I've been trying to teach them to wipe themselves, it has not been easy. Wow, when I write it out like that, it sounds like they don't know much at all, but really, they are pretty good at the scholastic and social things and decision-making.

They are making birthday cards for Bodhi right now.

ETA: Bridget, I forgot I told you I would try to look something up for you about when to call the doctor. Here is a really good article for you, from a very reputable site. It actually suggests calling if no improvement within 48 hours, and also says you can take Immodium.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 01-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Okay, I cracked up at that. Baby S is being contrary because he can! We've got a version of that here, except Mira doesn't even go that far. Wanna sing X? NO, Paru don't sing X. How about Y? NO! Paru don't sing Y. If you start singing/humming along when she is doing it, she'll stop right away. And forget the camera. I bring out the camera, and it becomes 'Paru's camera! Paru want camera! Mama, give Paru camera....'

Conner has done that to me too. Especially stopping whatever marvelous thing he's in the midst of as soon as the camera comes out. Actually, my parrot does the exact same thing. He'll freeze and look like a stuffed bird as soon as the video is on.

He's learned to call the dog by name. It's driving her crazy. Cramer, the parrot, actually laughs at her when she runs in a circle all confused. I wish I could get that on video.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

How's Jesi doing, Chrissy? Is she feeling okay about the test?

LOL at the parrot. Yes, you must get it on video. Maybe hide it behind something so he doesn't know it's out?

Ky didn't talk much when he was a little dude until he was probably around 3, like right before 3 he really took off. Elle has been a chatter mouth since she was around 14 months old and could talk before that but that was when she got really chatty. It was always so funny to m because she didn't even walk until she was 20.5 months old and she was small for her age so people would be amazed that such a "little baby" could talk so well.

Baby S sounds a lot like Elle. She is still contrary like that when you want her to do something at a particular time. She will just babble off nonsense or her current favorite is just to say, in a sing song way "La-Lala-Lala-Lalaaaaa." To anything you ask her. It is pretty funny but I try not to laugh because it just encourages her. I just stop talking to her until she starts to speak because usually she does this when I am trying to ask her something where I want her to make a decision or I want to know some information from her. She hates for me to ignore her so she usually will stop and answer me after she is done being a silly girl. She will say "Mommy. Okay, I'm done being a silly girl! What was it you wanted to know?" She is a riot to me. She also is amazing in regards to her vocabulary. She uses very big words for her age and even at her daycare they are usually amazed at her word choices. DH is too and he has been having a lot of cute conversations with her lately and informing me, like I already don't know "that girl is hilarious!!"

Chrissy, I was wondering about Jesi too. I hope she did well on her test and I also would like to see that sort of parrot video!

And Mandy, sadly enough but the 5 year old you are speaking of reminds me of my nephew. He was just like you describe at 5 and his parents weren't doing anything to help him until I threatened to call child protective services on them. Everyone in our family though that my nephew may have autism or some sort of autism spectrum disorder, but his mom insists that he is not. She told my mom that the doctors said that he was just "slow." She is not all that great of a mom though and is one of those who thinks that if you buy your kid tons of expensive toys and clothes then you are being a good parent. He had every Power Wheel available and Micheal Jordan shoes and clothes but couldn't talk. Her then 8 year old couldn't read. She thinks I don't like her according to my mom (which I really don't all that much) and mom says she is intimidated by me, but I don't know why. I always tell her she can do better. But she is what I call the "woe is me" type of person who is always speaking (for years and years and years) about how lowly of a person they are and how no one cares about them and no one will help them and so on and so on. I know she is capable of better but just lazy so I have a low opinion of her in this regard.

Luckily my nephew is doing much better now. He is 7 and can speak very well. He goes to a special school right now and has an IEP. He only has 4 kids in his class so gets a lot of specialized attention and he can speak and even read some and my mom was told by his teachers and therapist that socially he is fine and in other areas he is greatly improved over the last couple years. They hope he will be able to go to a mainstream school in the next couple years because he is nearly caught up. He still has anger issues though.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 01-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.

L, I love it!!! Yay!

Suja, Bodhi had similar issues with saying words like "yellow" ("latto") and "Ramon" ("Marone"). It cleared itself up, and as Mandy recommended, we didn't attempt to correct him because - in his mind - he knew the correct pronounciation. He just couldn't make his mouth and tongue work together to make the words he wanted to say yet. So it was a mouth mechanics thing, right Mandy?

My girls made up words when they were little. My favorite was "hega-leg" for kool aide. We still call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    My girls made up words when they were little. My favorite was "hega-leg" for kool aide. We still call it that.
    That is too cute!!

Elle calls olives "owls." We were at the grocery store last week and she said "Mommy, I'm in the mood for some owls." And I was like "What??" She was like "you know owls! Those green balls in the jar that taste good." I was thoroughly confused because I do not like olives and just wasn't thinking about them and another lady in the store overheard our conversation and she even was like "are you talking about pickles?" "tomatilla salsa" "green chiles." And Elle was like "NO!!! OWLS, THOSE" and pointed to them finally. Don't know why she didn't do that in the first place, but it was pretty funny. We had a couple people wondering why she wanted to eat owls.

Erin

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mmm, owls. So yummy when roasted with a bit of sage, but it's hell getting all the bones out.

That reminds me, when I was young I somehow ended up calling a certain bathroom function "wuck" (and I did this until I was old enough that I still remember very clearly using it). I'm sure it must have caused some raised eyebrows when I'd tug on my mom's dress and say, "Excuse me, Mom, but I need to go wuck." I don't know why I did this, since I remember also very clearly knowing the proper anatomical term for xiphoid process and was pretty well versed in anatomy and physiology at that point. And I wasn't shy.

Well, DS did not make a card for Bodhi and DD ended up making his card and signing his name to it. Again, I foresee trouble for the school years. However, he did draw him a really cool helicopter.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 01-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

I posted this already in STC:

Ultrasound revealed 3 follies! 19mm and 18mm on the left, and one 16mm on the right! Doctor said the two larger ones look perfect.

He also scheduled me for an IUI on Sunday morning!!!

What I wasn't prepared for - he wants me to do a trigger shot. Tonight. At midnight! We had never discussed the trigger shot - a little shocked. But, if it makes this cycle more likely to work out, we'll do it. Or, rather DH will give me the shot.

Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Wow, Mandy; that's really sad about the little boy. Does he have a diagnosis?
    He does not - his parents have never had a doctor or EI or anyone else look at him before now. I suspect it's cognitive impairment combined with very neglectful parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Got a question for you, Mandy. Mira is a very clear talker ordinarily. But, there are some words that she will not say correctly. Like she calls rubber band 'Lambert'. She'll sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', but each time substitute 'Kimpo Kimpo' for Twinkle Twinkle. There are a few more like this. She is perfectly capable of saying it correctly, will say 'It's rubber band not lambert', but will proceed to call it lambert anyway. Normal?
    Sounds normal!

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Gwenn, Baby S. is a terrible test-taker. He would never consent to be evaluated, more than likely. People come up to him in public all the time and try to talk to him and he smiles but doesn't say anything, and then the second they walk away he starts jabbering "Where that guy go? Where he go? What's he doing?" He sings all the time, so the other day I was trying to video him singing some songs, and he was taunting me. I would ask him to sing a song, and he'd start singing and then shout "NO!" after a line or two. He'd sing "Baa baa black NO!" and then crack up. I'd suggest another song, so he'd start singing, "Twinkle, twinkle, little NO!" I enlisted DD for help, and she started singing to help him out (mind you, these are songs he sings in entirety all the time), and she sang, hoping he'd join in. Uh-uh. He watched her and sang along, "I'm a little tea-NO!" I don't know why he was being so contrary.

When he was in the room preparing for his nap today and I was folding laundry near him, he called me over and asked me for a tissue and said he needed it to clean up. I realized his face and hands were wet and smelled like puke. Hmm. Then he pointed out a wet spot in his crib. I don't know how he threw up without me hearing him, but apparently he did. I asked him if his tummy hurt, and told him he threw up. He said his tummy didn't hurt, but his throat hurt. I guess that could be just because of the acid, though. Again, I'm really glad of his communication skills in times like this.

I cannot imagine having a child that doesn't do much more than babble and being read to send him to kindergarten, but I imagine that child would have special accommodations, right? I'm trying to push my twins more and more to do stuff on their own, in preparation for kindergarten. I think they're pretty good in most areas on the kindergarten readiness checklists except they don't know our address and phone numbers yet and they need to be able to do some more self-care stuff. They can't always zip or button their own jackets, and I often prepare their food so much that they aren't good at opening containers or eating food in its whole form. Like I always cut and core apples, or peel and segment oranges, or take cheese out of the wrapper for them. When they occasionally run into a juice container with a straw at a party, they have no idea how to take the straw out and puncture the carton because they never have those. Plus although I've been trying to teach them to wipe themselves, it has not been easy. Wow, when I write it out like that, it sounds like they don't know much at all, but really, they are pretty good at the scholastic and social things and decision-making.
    Sounds like they can do a lot, and you are really on top of what they need to do to be successful. They'll be ready when the time comes.
    So adorable about Baby S! Most of my assessments are play-based, at least for the earlier skills. I bet I could win him over. ;) To funny about the "no"! One of my older kids with autism whose language was about the level of Baby S used to do that a lot. Such a sense of humor in that kid! He cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    And Mandy, sadly enough but the 5 year old you are speaking of reminds me of my nephew. He was just like you describe at 5 and his parents weren't doing anything to help him until I threatened to call child protective services on them. Everyone in our family though that my nephew may have autism or some sort of autism spectrum disorder, but his mom insists that he is not. She told my mom that the doctors said that he was just "slow." She is not all that great of a mom though and is one of those who thinks that if you buy your kid tons of expensive toys and clothes then you are being a good parent. He had every Power Wheel available and Micheal Jordan shoes and clothes but couldn't talk. Her then 8 year old couldn't read. She thinks I don't like her according to my mom (which I really don't all that much) and mom says she is intimidated by me, but I don't know why. I always tell her she can do better. But she is what I call the "woe is me" type of person who is always speaking (for years and years and years) about how lowly of a person they are and how no one cares about them and no one will help them and so on and so on. I know she is capable of better but just lazy so I have a low opinion of her in this regard.

Luckily my nephew is doing much better now. He is 7 and can speak very well. He goes to a special school right now and has an IEP. He only has 4 kids in his class so gets a lot of specialized attention and he can speak and even read some and my mom was told by his teachers and therapist that socially he is fine and in other areas he is greatly improved over the last couple years. They hope he will be able to go to a mainstream school in the next couple years because he is nearly caught up. He still has anger issues though.
    Too bad about his issues - I suspect he is just a little "slow" if he's that much like the one I was talking about. I really didn't see a lot of spectrum - just neglect. Also the kid I talked about had a mother with untreated hypothyroid in pregnancy, which is known to cause cognitive deficits in children.

Suja, Bodhi had similar issues with saying words like "yellow" ("latto") and "Ramon" ("Marone"). It cleared itself up, and as Mandy recommended, we didn't attempt to correct him because - in his mind - he knew the correct pronounciation. He just couldn't make his mouth and tongue work together to make the words he wanted to say yet. So it was a mouth mechanics thing, right Mandy?
    Partly mouth mechanics, and partly the process of learning the sound system of a language. Part of that does involve knowing the timing and motor movements of the mouth at the appropriate times. Like, sometimes you will see a child that will say "fum" instead of "thumb", and "pan" instead of "fan." So he is able to say /f/ - but doesn't know how to say /f/ at the right time. Which probably makes no sense but it's normal up until a certain age. 2 is well within normal range for all of that. The "kimpo" for "Twinkle" example is actually several of those really common substitutions at work. If she has learned to say it clearly some of the time, sometimes kids just hang on to certain super-common words they like to say in a certain way. Very normal.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy, I don't know much about TTC lingo but I'm assuming follies are very good things! Yay!
    Good luck with the trigger shot-I don't know what that is either.

Eggs - so I could have triplets...

The trigger shot is to help them mature/release.

Ooo, triplets! Best of luck!

Oh gosh Mandy I'm so excited for you!

Mandy that is GREAT. Between those great size follies and a trigger and an IUI and the fun with DH....hoping that one or two stick!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes. One or two!

Those are really good numbers. I actually think that might be part of my problem because when we checked follie size, mine were always like 29-31. I haven't been able to find much about ones that big....and that was fairly early in the cycle, maybe like days 11 or 12. And a shorter LP...even on clomid the clinic was like, AF shouldn't have started yet but it did. Your sizes are much more what I have seen in the literature as being optimal.
    I will be sending good IUI vibes Sunday morning!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks, Jennifer, I know you will.

The only concern was my lining - it was 5mm and he wants it above 6. But he said he's had a healthy 8lb baby from a 2.5mm lining and mine is double that. If the cycle doesn't work out we'll skip a month so it can grow.

Sending you good thoughts Mandy!!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Thanks, Mandy.

Good luck with everything. I hope you end up with as many healthy babies as you wish for.

How exciting Mandy!!!!!

Go Mandy follies!!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Yay, Mandy! And I now envision your egg follies dancing in a kick line, like the Rockettes performing at Radio City Music Hall. I hope the trigger shot wasn't too uncomfortable.

Well, I decided that shots in the belly at midnight deserve a thick slice of bread with Nutella on top. For my suffering.

I'm so glad I have a DH who has been through field medicine training and can start IV's and doesn't flinch at the idea of poking people with pointy things. If it had been up to me, it wouldn't have happened.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 01-21-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Yay, Mandy! And I now envision your egg follies dancing in a kick line, like the Rockettes performing at Radio City Music Hall. I hope the trigger shot wasn't too uncomfortable.
    Follies does give that impression, doesn't it? Do you suppose they wear ruffly skirts?

I'm glad it wasn't up to you then Mandy. This is the most exciting news I've had in a long, long while. I'm waiting with baited breath, as I'm sure you are, to see if this cycle has been the one for you. I really, really hope it is.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm glad it wasn't up to you then Mandy. This is the most exciting news I've had in a long, long while. I'm waiting with baited breath, as I'm sure you are, to see if this cycle has been the one for you. I really, really hope it is.
    Thanks. I'm really excited, but trying not to get my hopes up. I'm glad my friends are excited for me, too.

Good luck, Mandy! I'll send you sticky baby dust and keep my fingers crossed for you!