Page 919 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 41981986990991791891992092192996910191419 ... LastLast
Results 27,541 to 27,570 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Yeah uncle M who is currently on his way to my house with MIL is a pretty good guy. He's not judgemental or pushy about religion at all. And he's not a Republican (which to me is harder to deal with!) so we can talk politics easy enough. Agree on most stuff with him except he's against gay marriage because marriage is a religious thing the bible blah blah blah. And against abortion though not for making it illegal.
    I do like him quite a bit, just need to avoid gay marriage...never married or had kids so he's been pretty good with DH.

Not much going out of the house for me today. D*MN it's cold outside! -9 this morning on the way to work and wind chills were about -25 to -30. My garage is attached so that wasn't so bad to get in the car but once I got to work it took about a minute to get from my car to the shuttle bus. Couldn't even really tell I had pants or gloves on. Said it was iffy if we were going to even get above zero today. LOL But at least it's nice and sunny out and it's a Friday for me since I'm off tomorrow!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Nolan's bday party is almost completely planned except for the fact I haven't bought him anything I think he's getting a new car seat for his bday, exciting I know

Chrissy how is she getting along with the Trinomials??

I hope you had fun last night Mandy

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

This is from last night. It's always a battle to get the kid to sleep, so she usually comes up with clever ways to get up and move about.

DD: Paru want purple jamas (she's wearing her monkey PJs)
    Me: Your diaper leaked and pee got all over your purple pajamas. Mama will wash it tomorrow and then you can wear it.

Two minutes later:

DD: Paru want purple jamas
    Me: Another variant of Your diaper leaked and pee got all over your purple pajamas. Mama will wash it tomorrow and then you can wear it.

Two minutes later

Me: Another variant of Your diaper leaked and pee got all over your purple pajamas. Mama will wash it tomorrow and then you can wear it.

Two minutes later

15 minutes later

Me: Purple pajamas are dirty.
    DD: Purple jamas are dirty. Monkey jamas are clean. Paru wear monkey jamas.

Now, why did I bother with long winded explanations again? She also proceeded to say 'Smells good. Smells like dog poop'. Wonder what *that* means.
    Last edited by Suja; 01-19-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Suja she is a clever one!!

It took me over two hours to get Nolan to sleep, but no cute story-just alot of screaming I don't know what's been going on with him, I guess it could be tooth #3 causing him problems.... The first two didn't do this though

This is random, but my eye has been twitching all day today and it is driving me

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Suja she is a clever one!!

It took me over two hours to get Nolan to sleep, but no cute story-just alot of screaming I don't know what's been going on with him, I guess it could be tooth #3 causing him problems.... The first two didn't do this though
    Mira had no trouble with her first four teeth. The rest have been another story. She's always been a crappy sleeper, but lately, she'll wake up and start talking. Like 'paru want kaju burfi' or 'where is autorickshaw and tempo?' or 'mama don't fall down'. At like 2 in the morning. Then we have to have a little discussion about the topic before she goes back to sleep. Repeat 3 or 4 times. She has her canines poking through; I'm hoping that's what's waking her up so much.

Nolan's bday party is almost completely planned except for the fact I haven't bought him anything I think he's getting a new car seat for his bday, exciting I know

Chrissy how is she getting along with the Trinomials??

I hope you had fun last night Mandy
    What's his theme? He won't care what it is-he'll have fun opening it!

Jesi worked her butt off on her homework last night. I guess I'll know tonight how she felt about her test today. Her guidance counselor suggested she miss her science lab (a requirement to graduate) so she could meet with her math teacher for extra help since her two study halls coincided with the only two periods where there is no open math lab available.

I do not miss the teething stage at all. Too funny about Mira's topics of conversation in the middle of the night. I wonder what was going through her head when she said, "mama don't fall down."

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy, is peer tutoring not an option? There might be kids in her class or other classes that might be able/willing to help her out during study hall.

I don't understand Mira's need to chat in the middle of the night, or the topics of conversation either. If she's not sleeping, she's talking. I mean, isn't talking non-stop all day long enough? Also, I learned today just how egocentric little kids are. I was putting her to sleep upstairs, and she could hear her nanny move around downstairs, so she asked me 'What's noisy?' (she *always* asks, and she's got better hearing than both my dogs put together). I told her that her nanny was looking for her food so she could have lunch. The kid says nothing for a second, and then goes 'Mirtha aunty eat Paru food?' I said no, she has her own food. Kid repeats 'Mirtha aunty eat Paru food. Paru cry. Ehhhhh (making crying sound).' Her nanny is something of a saint, never loses her patience, always has a smile on her face, and handles her very gently even when she's being a complete butthead, but she's got a problem with her eating her food? Then I realized that's she's just 2, and her world revolves around her.
    Last edited by Suja; 01-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Chrissy, is peer tutoring not an option? There might be kids in her class or other classes that might be able/willing to help her out during study hall.
    Oh, yes. He says he's 'working on that right away' but suggested her missing lab in the meantime. He did not indicate how long it might take to get it set up.

Will the guidance counselor also talk to whoever is in charge of science lab to explain why she is missing? Is missing this thing going to get in the way of her graduating? I don't like that idea AT ALL. In your shoes, I'd look into finding a college student or something to give her tuition in math (after school) until the school sets something up.

Yeah, why would they want her to sacrifice one important subject for another? Makes no sense.

Sawyer is on the no sleep train too. And I have a stomach ache with unmentionable symptoms for 6 days now. I never get tummy bugs so how long does it normally take for them to run their course? It's getting old not eating and when I do going straight to the use the restroom.

I am annoyed right now. I have 10 of my highschool friends coming over tomorrow afternoon/evening with some husbands and some kids. My house is a mess and I really want to get it cleaned and organized before they come. Plus some are sleeping over so I have to get creative with sleep space. Dbf informed me a few days ago that he was playing raquetball tomorrow morning. I told him it would be cool if he could skip that to help me clean or at least entertain the kids while I cleaned. He acted annoyed that I would dare to ask him not to play and said did I really think it would take all day to prepare to which I said, not all day but all morning since people will start arriving at noon. He said he didn't know people were coming over so early. End of conversation.
    About an hour ago I went upstairs where he is sitting in the messy living room on his computer and said I thought it would be cool if he could take S and K out for breakfast in the morning so I wouldn't have to deal with breakfast and could also have an empty-ish house while I clean. He said sure after raquetball. First off, the kids aren't going to hold off breakfast until 10 am and second off by then I hope to be nearly done so I can shower and not be rushed. Anyway, he's not budging on the raquetball. And the icing on the cake is that he's just sitting up there right now when he could be getting a start on it for me.
    Chump.

Bridget, I'm sorry. Abbey's birthday party is Saturday and MIL is coming in tomorrow, so I actually just called DH today and said I was too tired to clean during Abbey's nap, then asked him to take off work Friday so I could clean (and then asked him to pick up his mom from the airport too). He's not happy (he hates missing work) but he would never say no to helping me unless he really had to, and would never make me feel guilty about asking for help.

I'm not saying that to make you feel bad, it's just what I think is normal. I can't imagine living with someone who would tell me that they prioritized playing a game over helping me or taking care of their kids. So incredibly self-centered.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I agree that he is very self centered. Whenever we get into these discussions about how I feel the brunt of the weight of chores around this house he acts all surprised and says, "All you have to do it ask." So I ask and he either says no or he says he'll do it but on his terms.
    Last night I asked him to watch Sawyer so I could use the bathroom and when I came out of the bathroom Sawyer was sitting at the basement door crying (a room away from dbf) because he always thinks I'm down there when he can't find me. So you see I do ask and I am very clear about what I need from him and he still does what he wants.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, is it every time you eat and/or more often? Any blood? Fever? Abdominal pain? Anyone else in the house? I would expect it to clear up by now, usually, but not necessarily, and if it's not clearing up you might need to see a doctor and figure out what's causing it and have it treated. Some things can be particularly difficult to treat or even reportable to the local health department and there might be implications for your day care (I don't know about the guidelines there). I am not allowed to work with symptoms like that, for example. Be super careful if you are preparing food, esp. if you have company.

And poo to your dbf. I would say change your phrasing to say "I need you to do this" if you were being nice and telling him it would be cool if he would help out. I remember he doesn't like to miss his racquetball games, but you are not feeling well and you need him to pull his weight.

My dh would never take a day off work to help me clean, though. He never goes off to do things with friends, but not only would he not help me clean, he wouldn't take a day off work even if he needed to get a root canal.

Lydia I have no fever or blood. A tummy ache that comes and goes (feels like gas when it comes) but whatever I eat comes straight out of me but not throwing up if ya get my drift. And actually Savana and Kai had similar symptoms at the beginning of the week so I had them stay upstairs (kept Savana home from school for that and for the fact that they have suspected pertussis going around her school). But they are better now and I am not. I really thought it was something we ate which was why I did not feel it necessary to close the daycare. I only had one child today and I called her mom to tell her about my symptoms but she opted to come anyway. I have been wearing rubber gloves when I use the restroom AND washing my hands so I hope that I've prevented it from spreading. Dbf had symptoms too but only for a day or 2. I am never the one who gets sick so this is bothersome.

I was spotting just a tiny bit last night - like two drops of blood - and Dr. Google kindly informed me that 1% of women bleed with ovulation while on Clomid. Trust me to be the 1% to experience side effects, every time. But I figure it was best to assume I was ovulating and let DH know. I go for my ultrasound tomorrow and we'll know if I ovulated already or am about to, but if I already have I think we got it covered at least.

Suja, you're cracking me up with your Mira stories. But I firmly believe that with a toddler, short and simple is best. I watched a woman at a New Year's party recently tell her 16 month old "Please don't pull the tablecloth off the table" four times while the little one continued to yank on the cloth, blissfully not understanding a single word of that sentence. A simple "No thank you" and a redirection would have been easily within the child's understanding and saved them both a lot of frustration.

Bridget, I am so sorry about your DH.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Lydia I have no fever or blood. A tummy ache that comes and goes (feels like gas when it comes) but whatever I eat comes straight out of me but not throwing up if ya get my drift. And actually Savana and Kai had similar symptoms at the beginning of the week so I had them stay upstairs (kept Savana home from school for that and for the fact that they have suspected pertussis going around her school). But they are better now and I am not. I really thought it was something we ate which was why I did not feel it necessary to close the daycare. I only had one child today and I called her mom to tell her about my symptoms but she opted to come anyway. I have been wearing rubber gloves when I use the restroom AND washing my hands so I hope that I've prevented it from spreading. Dbf had symptoms too but only for a day or 2. I am never the one who gets sick so this is bothersome.
    Maybe stress is causing the virus to stick around longer?

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Bridget, I wish I had words of wisdom. I only have empathy. And I'm in awe of you. I don't know about your symptoms...I've had a similar experience that seemed to last longer than it should have too. I'd say if you're not totally cleared up by Monday you might want to see a dr.

Mandy, I'm hoping for the best for you!!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I don't know, Bridget. If the rest of your family had it and they got over it, it's probably not something too horrible, which is good news. And it's also good that you don't have a fever or blood. I'm on my way to bed now, but I do know in babies they say it can take more than a week to resolve (and most of the time it is viral in babies). I'm not sure when you should seek treatment for it if it's not super-alarming, but I can look more tomorrow. I hope you get better soon.

Gwenn, it would be really cool if you're ovulating!

Suja, I have had talkative kids in the middle of the night, too, and while it goes against my instincts to do it, I pretty much ignore everything they say and just respond singlemindedly every single time with "Shh, it's sleepy time. Shh, it's sleepy time. Lie down, sleepy time." Of course, my kids are not very good sleepers, too, so I try to do everything I can and hope for the best. If I engage them at all, they're up forever. Sometimes they're up forever anyways.

S. is pretty much able to converse normally now. It blew my mind this morning as he trotted alongside me from room to room, holding a complete conversation. Not grammatically correct, but still. He first woke up and greeted me with a "Hi, Mommy, cuddle me." Then we went out to the living room and he said "Roomba! Hold it. I want to hold it. Pick it up. Hold it." So we took it to the back room to put it on the charger. Then he stumbled into me and he said, "Excuse me, Mommy." Then he saw the cat toy and he shouted (too loudly), "Mouse! Emily! Here, Kitty! Emily! Come here! Here, kitty kitty kitty. Come here. Get your mouse!" A whole five minutes, non-stop, he was talking and making complete sense at 20 months. At this age, DD couldn't even put two words together. Last night he told me right after dinner that his tummy hurt. I told him he should take a break and stop drinking his milk and maybe he would feel better in a few minutes. I felt badly for him, but I loved that he could express it. My twins couldn't have done it at the same age. He didn't stop drinking the milk, and a few minutes later he told me again that his tummy hurt. I reminded him that he should stop drinking the milk and give his tummy a rest. I waited, and asked him if he felt better. He smiled, and said he felt better. It must have been gas. But how awesome is that? This is the best part of talking--the actual communication.

Oh, my goodness, L, that's amazing! It makes me so happy to hear stories like that. I'm thinking of the test items on the preschool language scale, and he's doing things within the 2;0 to 2;11 year range and possibly beyond.

Oh, how my geeky heart wants to test him just to see the score!

Tested a 5 year old this morning who uses 99% babbling and gestures mixed with 1% words that you can't understand. He also had anger issues combined with poor understanding, so when I got out my pictures and asked him to point to the kitty, he punched the page repeatedly. As well as throwing all our test items at us, hiding under the table, and then refusing to leave and kicking and screaming as his dad tried to carry him out. Baby S is light-years ahead of this kid (who will be starting Kindergarten this fall...)
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Wow, Mandy; that's really sad about the little boy. Does he have a diagnosis?

L, your baby S. sounds like how Travis was at that age. We went to the USA with him when he was 17 months old to see family and he talked to everybody and people always seemed so surprised that he talked so much. I remember thinking that my nephew who was 16 months old at the time seemed really behind, but looking back now, I realize that it was Travis who was just ahead. Cash will be 17 months old in 2 weeks' time and he is waaaay behind where Travis was with speech. He says things like "bye bye" when we leave somewhere and "cheese" when you take his picture but Travis at that age would say stuff like, "Where we go?" I remember feeling like Travis had grown up really fast after he turned one but Cash still seems like my little baby. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I do look forward to when he does talk more, since I enjoy conversing with the kids more than just babbling with them.

Hey Bridget, ave you tried eating the BRAT diet and see if that helps? Sometimes if I get a bug, if it's not clearing up (and no blood or anything major), I do take one immodium and that seems to really help. It's like the tract gets pissed off and just needs a little break to heal. Dh just had that and it was like a week to clear up and I had it too but a different week.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget, I hope you are feeling back to normal soon! That kind of sickness is really awful.

I love language...even at this age I love the things Josh expresses and how cute his logic is.

It finally snowed here last night, only a couple inches but Josh spent about 20 minutes brushing off my car for me "I want to make your car beautiful, Mommy"

I'm pissed off because I hopped on the scale this morning and it said I gained 3 lbs over the last week. I really don't think that's true because it said I lost 2 lbs the week before and I've been on pretty much the same diet. I cheated a couple times and had a couple drinks last night (skinny margarita) but I honestly don't think I gained 3 lbs. Anyone know how to calibrate a bathroom scale?

I went for another dr. appt yesterday, this time with a urologist. I haven't seen one in years. He was very nice and I got an appt. set up for a renal ultrasound to see how everything is faring in there. I'm kind of nervous that something may be wrong since I've been having some issues lately and I haven't been to a doctor in so long. My own fault, I know.

I hope you have a healthy result Kate. Take care of yourself!!

Conner was a bit behind in speech I think. When we went to AZ, Mikey (just 4 months older than Conner) was speaking in full sentences, whereas Conner barely said a dozen words. But Conner was more physically developed, athletic, and coordinated than Mikey was. Conner could shoot hoops, hit a ball tossed to him (he never used a T when batting), and perform any other physical task at a much more developed stage than other kids his age. His speech did catch up. I never really worried about it.

Nolan's theme is Bob The Builder. I have a cute little shirt with a Bob applique on it and matching pants knit up for him

Chrissy I hope she does well on the test! Although I don't get skipping one required class at all

Wow L. S's language skills are great!! I love the learning to communicate age, so cute!

Mandy I hope you are O'ing!!! That would be great!! GoodLuck

Bridget your man is being a turd I may have to remind DH to do things regularly, but he never deliberately tries to make my life harder. You are a saint mama, I don't know how you keep your cool I do hope you feel better soon

Josh was like that too, Chrissy. At 18 months he wasn't speaking much and that was supposed to be the milestone for language explosion. Not long after, it did happen and he went above and beyond the average. Since then I've noticed he doesn't do something until he has it just right in his head I let myself get worried sometimes and then I just remind myself of that.

SCUBJIA

Ladies, I'm sorry to hear about all the recent disagreements some of us have been having in the homesteads. There's been a bit of that going on over here too, especially with all the stuff I have going on with work, volunteer activities (took on more than I can chew, I think) AND getting ready for B's birthday party tomorrow. It must be have-a-stupid-argument-with-your-SO day. (Or is it have-an-argument-with-your-stupid-SO day?)

Nolan's theme is Bob The Builder. I have a cute little shirt with a Bob applique on it and matching pants knit up for him
    C, when is the party? I have an album of "Bob the Builder" remixes that I'd love to send you. B is about to outgrow his orange BTB hoodie too and I could send it to you for N to wear when he grows into it. Let's PM to get me your e-mail/snail mail info.

Soren's adorable. I really love the language acquisition stage, although I do wonder where they come up with some of the stuff they do. And the leaps they make, making connections, figuring out context... it's pretty darn amazing.

Got a question for you, Mandy. Mira is a very clear talker ordinarily. But, there are some words that she will not say correctly. Like she calls rubber band 'Lambert'. She'll sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', but each time substitute 'Kimpo Kimpo' for Twinkle Twinkle. There are a few more like this. She is perfectly capable of saying it correctly, will say 'It's rubber band not lambert', but will proceed to call it lambert anyway. Normal?
    Last edited by Suja; 01-20-2012 at 03:37 PM.