Page 918 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 41881886890891691791891992092896810181418 ... LastLast
Results 27,511 to 27,540 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Suja-if you're around, do you know where there's a trinomials for dummies page? Jesi couldn't find a video on trinomials on that link you shared the other day and she's having a test on them tomorrow.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I found this Chrissy. Trinomials are near the bottom. I don't know if that'll help or not, but I thought it explained it nicely

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I found this Chrissy. Trinomials are near the bottom. I don't know if that'll help or not, but I thought it explained it nicely
    Thanks Christina!

No problem. I hope it helps! Constructing the T chart is essential in Trinomials.

I wish I was close, I would love to help. I me some algebra!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

There are videos in the worked examples at Khan Academy, like so:
    http://www.khanacademy.org/video/fac...pmental+Math+2

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/fac...orked+Examples.

These are my search results from the site: http://www.khanacademy.org/search?pa...ery=trinomials Not sure if this is the sort of thing she is looking for.

Also, there's an app for trinomials, if you have iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. Look up Trinomial Factoring Tutor. It has excellent reviews.
    Last edited by Suja; 01-18-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Chrissy, I totally believe there is some equivalent of dyslexia for math. I have a friend who is exceedingly smart, but has trouble with math. Look what turned up! http://www.dyscalculia.org/.
    Oh my gosh, this makes me want to cry. I looked at this list of symptoms and it is like they are describing me exactly. Every single one of these things is how I am. I wish that this had been on the radar when I was in school - I might have been able to get some help instead of being put in "football" math and made to feel like a complete imbecile

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Thanks for the welcome back!!!

Forgot to say CONGRATS on your baby boy Molly!!! I am so happy that everything is going good for you with your PG!!

My FIL decided to show up unannounced on Friday evening last week. DH was happy to see him but I am ready for him to leave. He has been sleeping in our extra bedroom, which doubles as an office and a guest bedroom and my closet because DH won't clean up his clothes in the master bedroom so I took over the office's closet and have my dresser in there. As of this morning FIL is still here and I'm wondering when he is leaving. He has hung up stuff in my closet blocking my work clothes and has so much stuff I can't open the closet door without moving his things. Plus I usually dress in there in the morning and it is clean like I like it to be cleaned and now it is stinky like an old man.

I always feel so weird when I want guests to leave. Like I am not sociable or something. I really am not all that sociable. I have my moments but when I am at home I like to have my routine and usually guests interfere with my routine so I want them to leave, especially unannounced guests. Usually when I know someone is coming I can be prepared to be sociable but when they just show up I am like "argh!!" He is the major factor in why I could not get online this weekend. Also he leaves lights on all the time and I hate that. Yesterday I came home from the dentist and he wasn't there but every light in the house was on and the TV was on so I was POd. He had left it on a cartoon channel so then Elle decided to scream like a banchee because I turned it off. I have had to cut her off of TV so she is going cold turkey. She has been getting way too into it, plus we usually don't watch it while the kids are up Mon-Fri.

Erin

Oooooh, Erin. I would be the same way. I actually have a really hard time with house guests in general. You can never just relax.

In 1st grade, I was still using the abacus when the other children had moved on. Thanks for that link Suja, I am sure that I have dyscalculia. Just thinking about math, makes me nervous, and my hands start sweating. I never had a teacher that picked up on it. Instead I got my 3rd grade teacher, who threatened me with a wooden paddle when I failed the multiplication tables test. nothing like fear and humiliation to teach a child.
    My parents tried, they got math tutors, but I just never got "it". And my dh has dyslexia. Poor Gilly.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

There are videos in the worked examples at Khan Academy, like so:
    http://www.khanacademy.org/video/fac...pmental+Math+2

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/fac...orked+Examples.

These are my search results from the site: http://www.khanacademy.org/search?pa...ery=trinomials Not sure if this is the sort of thing she is looking for.

Also, there's an app for trinomials, if you have iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. Look up Trinomial Factoring Tutor. It has excellent reviews.
    Thank you! I watched her type in trinomials in the search bar and nothing came up! Unfortunately, we do not have an i-anything. She has an Android, but it's not in her possession at the moment. She's grounded from her stunt last week. Anyway, she did say that the first video helped!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Oh my gosh, this makes me want to cry. I looked at this list of symptoms and it is like they are describing me exactly. Every single one of these things is how I am. I wish that this had been on the radar when I was in school - I might have been able to get some help instead of being put in "football" math and made to feel like a complete imbecile
    I was a little stunned myself. I'm actually a bit POd that as far as I know, my kid's school still doesn't recognize math disabilities at all. I might have to take that information with me to the school and see what, if anything, can be done.

Erin-oh my goodness! Is this common for your FIL? How long does he normally stay? I couldn't imagine just dropping in on someone and expecting to stay the night! Much less more than one night He sounds very rude, imo, just based on that.

Seriously Suja-thank you. I mean that.

ps-I always mean it when I say thank you, but when it's my kids...it's more than. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I don't think it's ever too late to go back to school. At least if you choose to go that way, you will have additional resources that can help you overcome your math issues. Back when I was an undergrad, there was an older lady who worked as an RA in the same lab that I did. She was 50, with grown up kids, and had gone back to school to get a PhD. She was AWESOME. It has been my experience that older students (not implying you're old or anything) do amazingly well.

Chrissy, I'm happy to help in any way I can. I hate seeing otherwise smart kids turned off by our school system and fail to live up to their potential. Please let Jesi know that we're all rooting for her, and she absolutely can do well in Algebra.

I can't find any description of the learning disability on the page but that's probably what I have, too. I always did well in most other subjects except math but the ADD diagnosis was slapped on me. I always insisted I didn't have ADD because if I did, wouldn't I be unable to concentrate in general, not just in math class?

I know I have spatial issues, too. Things like distance or how much water will fit in something (this is what slows me down the most in cooking-I under or overestimate container sizes all the time and have to start over), how things are put together, how things work, etc. It's all Greek to me. I'm sure there are some great ways to get around it now that it's a recognized problem. And I'm totally jealous of kids having apps and the internet to help them with everything these days.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Erin-oh my goodness! Is this common for your FIL? How long does he normally stay? I couldn't imagine just dropping in on someone and expecting to stay the night! Much less more than one night He sounds very rude, imo, just based on that.
    This is very common for him. He usually just will show up out of the blue. He is around 61 and doesn't work, he is on disability from PTSD from the Vietnam War. He also is a drug addict, not a raving one and he supposedly doesn't do drugs anymore but I grew up around a lot of drug addicts and I know one when I see one so I don't like to leave him alone in the house either.

He was a deadbeat dad that DH didn't meet until he was in his 20s and he just acts like he has been around forever. He really is a decent kind of guy but I just don't trust him in the house and I hope he leaves today. Last time he came he brought a cousin of his named "Skinny." I really don't trust people who don't have real names (DH has a lot of friends that don't have real names so I am constantly asking them their real names and if they don't want to tell me I will ask him not to bring said person over anymore). Skinny kept cursing and talking about being a pimp and was just beyond crazy to me so I had to tell DH to get him to leave. He left and stayed with another relative. That was around the same time last year.

Erin

Erin, what kind of grown-up goes around calling himself "skinny"? Man sounds like a cartoon. Kicking him out seems like the right move to me.
    Last edited by Suja; 01-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.

I don't blame you one bit Erin. Geesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I always feel so weird when I want guests to leave. Like I am not sociable or something. I really am not all that sociable. I have my moments but when I am at home I like to have my routine and usually guests interfere with my routine so I want them to leave, especially unannounced guests. Usually when I know someone is coming I can be prepared to be sociable but when they just show up I am like "argh!!"
    Erin
    This is me too. I think it has do do with wanting to wear old holey clothes and funky hair without feeling like someone's looking at me like "why don't you try harder?"
    My ILs used to show up with little/no notice when we lived closer, and I felt like I made everyone walk on eggshells but if I can't sit around in my bathrobe at night I get grumpy.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

This makes me so sad for you, but kind of relieved at the same time because YES YES YES it was exactly like that for me too. I bet that's how it is for Jesi too. I've always said that if there can be dyslexia for reading (and their is), then why can't there be something as fundamentally road-blocking for math? It certainly felt to me like I had a learning disability of some sort. It only pertained to math though.
    Mandy, that article was interesting. Must be so hard being with someone that cannot read your emotions.

Chrissy, I totally believe there is some equivalent of dyslexia for math. I have a friend who is exceedingly smart, but has trouble with math. Look what turned up! http://www.dyscalculia.org/.
    Yes, I thought the article was really interesting and well-written.

And you beat me to it! I was going to say dyscalulia!

I am fairly certain I have dyscalculia. I was evaluated in 3rd grade because I was behind in math. They said I had problems with math, motor coordination, and visual/spatial skills. I'm what is called a "true" learning disabled in that there was a gap between what my IQ said I should be able to do, and what I was actually able to learn. I can totally see all that today. With good special ed help I was dismissed from services in 7th grade and did grade-level math in middle school and high school, up to geometry in high school and straight into college algebra in college. I passed with a low C, and I have never worked harder for a class at the bachelor's level. But I passed. Oddly enough, I LOVE stats.

I was a little stunned myself. I'm actually a bit POd that as far as I know, my kid's school still doesn't recognize math disabilities at all. I might have to take that information with me to the school and see what, if anything, can be done.
    If you request in writing that she be evaluated by the special education team, they are required by federal law to evaluate her. It's not too late. Speak to the school psychologist and tell them specifically that you are concerned about dyscalculia. If you disagree with the results of their evaluation, you can have a second opinion through an outside agency (at cost to the district).

And Erin - your stories about the people your DH knows crack me up.

Ash, you're gorgeous.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I meant to say, my mom was a music teacher and I grew up with music my whole life, singing, piano, and violin and my sister and brother played flute and drums and guitar. Didn't help me out with math at all! But music has a lot of math in it. I remember when I was a music major we had to do timed tests and write out key signatures and intervals of notes and it involved a lot of rapid recall of math calculations (start on A, up a 5th is E or worse E, down a 5th is A...yuck!) I couldn't handle it.

Funny I couldn't do that, but I can do statistics.

This group is awesome in all the help and advice today for Chrissy and Jesi. I all of you.

I love having company...well certain company. Like tomorrow I'm having my MIL over. I adore her and will be in a robe around her and we hang out in sweats and jammies. Her brother is coming and I'm pretty comfortable around him and like him for the most part long as we don't do much religion talk....he's a pretty big catholic and disgusted by gays....doesn't hate them, he does have a kind heart and doesn't judge but won't watch Lady Gaga sing or a gay kiss in a movie or whatever. Kind of hard when my beloved uncle whose gone is gay, my aunt is gay and my sister is gay. So I just avoid the topic with him. Oh and I will wear a bra around the house with him here most of the time. If it was just MIL, we ditch the bras hanging out at home. How I can consider and want MIL to move in with us.

But yeah excited...tomorrow we are going out for a nice steak dinner, Friday I'm off and making basically a Thanksgiving meal and the plan is to hang out, play with the dogs...along with my girls my MIL is bringing her 13 yr old PITA spring spaniel named Irving, play games, watch some movies, maybe scrapbook cards or something. Saturday is DH's birthday so probably making cookies too.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Remember how I was complaining about not being in the mood last month? Well, total opposite this month. I suspect the clomid is working.

Wish me luck with DH...

Ooo Mandy! Good luck!

Thanks!

Oh, and I meant to say earlier congrats on the sub job. I agree, that's how you get those jobs.

Good luck!!

Go get him, Tigress! ROWRRRRRRR

Have fun Mandy! And good luck!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Thanks!

Oh, and I meant to say earlier congrats on the sub job. I agree, that's how you get those jobs.

Thanks!

Oh, I must have missed the link to the dyscalculia forum before but I just saw it and checked it out...Holy crap that is so me!
    Now the opposite of that...that's what DH has.

Mandy, good luck, lady, and have fun! ;) **************baby vibes!!!!!!****************

Jennifer, that's so cool you get along with your MIL so well. I'm the same with my MIL. I am much closer to her than I am my own mother and can talk to her more about emotional stuff than what I do with my own mom. That's too bad her brother is the way he is. My own mother, who found relgion a few years ago, was telling me about a girl she knows who was engaged recently called off the wedding because she reconciled with her *cough cough* girlfriend....it was like it pained her to get the word "girlfriend" out when she told me. It was almost comical if I hadn't been so outraged by her homophobia. I told her to change the subject before we got in to an argument.

I'm sitting here on the couch while the kids play. Travis has a digger and a dump truck pretending to be working on a construction site and Cash has an empty cereal box just walking around with it. I don't usually get around to doing much until it's 8am. I've been up with Cash since 6:40; we ate breakfast and have been wandering from the living room to the play room since then. I probably should look at planning something for us to do today to get out of the house for a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    If you request in writing that she be evaluated by the special education team, they are required by federal law to evaluate her. It's not too late. Speak to the school psychologist and tell them specifically that you are concerned about dyscalculia. If you disagree with the results of their evaluation, you can have a second opinion through an outside agency (at cost to the district).
    Good to know.

Luck with the dh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    This group is awesome in all the help and advice today for Chrissy and Jesi. I all of you.
    Yes they have been. And for always.

I'm with you-I love having company. We don't have overnight guests often though, and usually it's just my brother.