Page 894 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 394 794 844 884892893894895896 904 944 994 1394 ... LastLast
Results 26,791 to 26,820 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Merry Christmas Eve, y'all! The kids are in bed and I just ate half the mini mince pie that Travis left out for Santa...it was nice..mmm...Travis said before he went to bed, "Do you think Santa will save me a bite?" I told him I was sure he would. The presents are now under the tree and I can't wait for tomorrow!
    and how exciting and adorable! Conner has been watching the Norad Santa Tracker thing on and off all day. He's really fascinated. I'm making my pies and the kids are watching movies on the family channel. I think we're going to watch the Christmas Story movie tonight too. TBS plays it for 24 hours straight, so we'll likely watch it again tomorrow.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ash, that's adorable about Travis!

I love the santa tracker, too. I look at it every Christmas, even though I'm almost 40. I still love it.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Travis is too cute. We did Christmas with my dad and brother today and it was near perfect. My brother is apparently over his strangeness which is odd in itself but I'm going to let it go. Got the kids to bed early because Kai is really sick still. I fell so bad for him.

Christine I meant to say before but my post got erased and I didn't have time to rewrite, without going into detail, I understand very well the feeling of wanting so badly to help someone you care about when what they need the most is for you to stop helping them. It sucks.

Dbf got me some nacho cheese doritos as my "stuffing stocker".lol He says that all the time instead of stocking stuffer. No matter how many times I correct him. Anyway, nacho cheese doritos are my guilty pleasure. I refuse to by them for myself so he gets them for me like once a year.

I think we are staying home tomorrow even though my dad and my brother are getting together at my brother's place. My kids are just under the weather and there is not much for them to do there so they will probably annoy my brother. They'll want to be here with all their new stuff anyway. I'm looking forward to being lazy.

My Joey poster...I mean, uh, the calendar...came in the mail the other day. It's huge! It's really poster sized, and instead of the top half being a picture and the bottom half being the dates, it's one big page of mostly picture...anyway...happy May everyone ;)

Merry Christmas everyone! I am up first in my house and having my morning coffee alone. Now that's a gift in itself.

I can hear all my kids coughing. Booooo

I love y'all!

Merry Christmas!! I love you all!

Merry Christmas to all of you. I love you all, too. (Teary eyed)

Merry Crimbo, y'all. I love you ladies, too! The kids have had a great Christmas and got some really nice things today.

I'll probably put this on my FB status too, but Merry Always and Happy Everything!!!

I love you ladies!!!

I like that, Myles.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I drank way too much champagne throughout the day today and feel sick now!

I like that, Myles.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I drank way too much champagne throughout the day today and feel sick now!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Haven't had time to get on today. We had a great Christmas!!

I am so freaking upset that we don't have TBS anymore. It used to be a regular channel here in Atlanta but was replaced by a lame channel that Ted Turner also broadcasts called Peachtree TV and now I cannot watch "A Christmas Story" all day on Christmas anymore. It is my favorite Christmas movie. We did watch The Grinch though just now and may seem horrible to some but when my friend asked Ky what he would do if the Grinch stole his presents Ky said that he would "hunt him down and kill him!" It was pretty shocking and even my friend cracked up laughing because Ky is so non-violent and he looked REALLY serious like nobody better not ever mess with his gifts LOL!

Erin

lol at Ky but omg about not having TBS. WTF are they thinking?

As a side note-I've been curious about Peachtree St. in Atlanta only because I read Gone With The Wind. I'd love to visit it some day, even though I'm sure it's nothing like what it was once upon a time.

Merry merry!

I got some great things for Christmas...a nice combination of Doctor Who and Joey things...haha!

Josh had a good time too, we had a nice time at my mom's side of the family. Josh did a jam session on the guitar with my mom's boyfriend on the drums. It was really cute. If I got a good video of it I'll post it later. I'm still working on posting the Christmas songs Josh sang at school

Hope everyone is well tonight and had a nice day

We got a good video of Elle with her play guitar too. She has been jamming all day on that thing.

Chrissy, I actually work on Peachtree St. I love the book Gone With The Wind but not the movie so much because it is so different. I read the book before ever seeing the movie. Peachtree St now is just the heart of downtown and goes north to the ritzy part of town. There are some great pics though at the Atlanta History Center of what it looked like before all the redevelopment and the aftermath of Sherman's march through GA where the Union literally burned down the city of Atlanta and GA from Atlanta to Savannah, which is mentioned in the movie and the book. Hardcore southerners here still are upset about Sherman! It is just astounding to me. But the pics are very dramatic of the aftermath of the destruction and they along with other pics of war make me loathe that sort of violence.

On a more non-war historic Peachtree note, DH and I frequently eat at a Mediterranean restaurant a couple blocks down from our jobs (he works across the street from me) on Peachtree that was a former artillery of the Confederate Army. It is one of only a few buildings left from that era. It is a beautiful building.

ETA: Margaret Mitchell's house (author of Gone With The Wind) is still standing as well near the High Museum here. It is not far from Peachtree, only a couple blocks. It is interesting that her house is the only actual house on the street. The other buildings are just highrises, shopping plazas, the museum, and another performing arts center. The house looks really out of place amongst it all but it is a beautiful house and they do tours there as well. It is one of the most visited places here in Atlanta.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 12-25-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Merry Christmas, friends!

I'm glad you had a great Christmas Kate. I hope you do post videos of Josh. That sounds so cute!

Erin, now I want to visit Atlanta more than ever. I'd love to see Margaret Mitchell's house. I'm fascinated with American history anyway. And I totally agree with you about the book being so much better than the movie. Did you read the sequel, Scarlett? It was written by someone else and wasn't that great at all. I almost wish I didn't read it because that's now I foresaw Scarlett's life panning out.

Merry Christmas Katy!! I got your card Jojo is simply adorable!! Rich even said, "She's a cute kid" and he doesn't say that often about anyone.

My Christmas was very good actually. Rich bought a thoughtful gift-a heating pad. I've been having lower back pain for some months and kept talking about buying one, but never did. The one he got is plush and soft and I could almost cuddle it! He also got me a nice 'bohemian-like' long white button down sweater because as you all know, I'm always cold. From like October-May or June. He also bought me a pair of knee high brown boots that zip up the side and have buckles on them. I them. They're my favorite gift of all.

My older girls made out like bandits. No one really knew what to get them, and aside from their tablets I only gave them cash and a $100 gift card to the mall. Between that and what everyone else gave them, they each have over 350 dollars! Sydney got an iPod touch rather than the cash from us, but she did get a gift card to the mall. I wanted to go on Thursday but the $ is burning holes in their pockets so I guess we're going up today.

Oh, Rich also got me a $100 gift card to TJ Maxx. That's actually one of my favorite stores. I'm glad he did because I rarely buy clothes for myself. The only negative is that TJ Maxx is nowhere near the mall, so somehow I'm gonna have to take a separate trip for myself to go shopping...and I hate shopping! I wish we could all go in one day and just get it done and over with.

Conner is simply spoiled. Toys-R-Us had excellent sales and I was able to get him a cartfull of crap he doesn't need for $100. I had also gotten him a Leappad2 and a couple games from Amazon. At first he wasn't interested in it, but he did end up playing it later in the day and is an old pro already.

Sounds like you had a good day too!

Sounds like everyone had a great christmas! So glad to hear it and Go Rich! He did a good job! I got a new breadmaker as mine took a dive off the kitchen counter a few weeks ago, it shook around so much!
    Savana and I have had a hard time today. I need to run this by you all if you don't mind. She has this habit of giving a negative answer to everything even when I know it's something she wants or likes. For example I will ask her if she wants some chicken soup and she will stomp to the table and say, "ARGH. I HATE chicken soup. It's disgusting". But then she will still want some either before or after I say, "ok, nevermind" and also remind her that she can just say no thank you. It happens all the time. Say I set up a project for her. She will come over and roll her eyes and huff and puff so I will say that she does not have to do it, and then she's like, "FINE, I'll do it!" as if she is doing me a favor. Is this making sense? One more example. Just this evening dbf was going to menards to get some things. I really wanted him to take one or both Savana and Kai so that I could scrub the floors. Both of them were saying they didn't want to go and so I said that whomever stays home is going to help me scrub the floor. Well, Kai couldn't get his shoes on fast enough lol. Then Savana just started pitching a fit about how she HATES menards and menards is stupid and disgusting and she is stomping around and just little miss attitude. So I tell dbf just to take Kai and leave her here. Well, right when she hears me say that she starts flipping the other way. She wants to go. She doesn't want to stay home and be bored.

So I've had enough of all this. What i have told her, and what I have been doing is that if she makes those bold statements about something, then that is that. If I set a bowl of yogurt in front of her and she rolls eyes and says it's not the kind she likes, it's gone. If she says she hates menards, she does not go. If she comes to the craft table and says she hates doing projects with glue, she doesn't do it. No takesies backsies.
    Now if she says, "No thank you" for the yogurt or whatever else and then changes her mind, I can live with that. But stomping around and squawking about how disgusting something is then she does not get it.
    So battles have ensued. After dbf left for menards she screamed and cried for about 8 long minutes and then settled down. I tried to talk to her about why she didn't get to go but she said she didn't want to talk about it so I let it go. She gets it.
    Am I doing the right thing? Sometimes in the midst of her tantrum I wonder if i'm being too hard on her. I just don't want her to be so negative about everything all the time. Basically what I have told her is to say what she means and mean what she says because you cannot always just change your mind, especially after you have stated such a strong negative opinion over it.
    Sorry this is so long and all over the place.
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-26-2011 at 05:58 PM.

I think you're doing the right thing. Kind of the same thing is going on with Josh and we're having a hard time coping with it. He has something to say about EVERYTHING. We are sick of the back talking and negativity.

Bridget, I think you're doing the right thing.

I agree Bridget, you are doing the right thing.

The girls got their way and I took them to the mall to spend their money. Since I knew it would be a while and I didn't really have anything to buy there myself, I asked them if they cared if I went over to TJ Maxx while they shopped. Bobbie and Jessica are 18 and 17, so it's not a big deal, right? Jesi was the only one that paid any attention to me and she said, "yeah sure, go ahead" vaguely. So I asked them what entrance they wanted to be dropped off at and went on my merry way to my store.

After I was done I went back and texted the girls to see if they wanted to meet for dinner. We were in a booth at Friendly's and Jesi asked, "So where is TJ Maxx anyway?" I was surprised because we'd been there plenty of times. I told her where and she looked at me like They all did, actually. Jesi was like, "You left us here and went all the way over there?" I just laughed at her. It's not even 10 miles. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Besides, they go off with their friends all the time, so...? I thought it was sort of funny. Even though they go with their friends, they still expect me to treat them like children I guess.

Hey ladies! So quiet in here lately.

Funny story Chrissy! I wouldn't think I'd have a problem leaving two older teenagers and a 5 year old at the mall for a little while.

Oh Conner wasn't with us, it was Sydney and she turned 13 on Christmas day. I wouldn't leave her on her own at the mall, but I knew she'd stick with Jesi and I was totally fine with that.

That is actually pretty cute, Chrissy.
    So one of my daycare kids has been coughing for over a month now and this week it seems worse. Since Kai is not fighting this cough for just over 2 weeks, I said to the mom, "Are you concerned at all about V's cough? It's not going away and now Kai has it and I think Sawyer is developing one as well." She told me she is almost sure she has pertussis! I'm struggling with conflicted feelings because a part of me feels it was inconsiderate of her to keep bringing her and having her cough all over my baby day after day if she thought it was pertussis. But I guess I take partial responsibility for not requiring a dr visit. With no fever and such I just thought it was a run of the mill cold. I know she does not believe in too much medical intervention and i'm with her on that but I also try really hard not to expose my children's illness to others. Either way, now I'm wondering if I should take Kai in again? We've been once and they said just a virus. We've never had this much illness before!

I would be angry, Bridget. It's one thing to think it is a cough, but if she had any inkling at all it was something more serious than she should not have brought her kid to your daycare. I would definitely take your kids in to the dr. after hearing that, or at least call them to let them know so they can tell you if they think they should be brought in. You don't want to mess with pertussis. Untreated it can become dangerous.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

OMG I would be angry about that too Bridget. It's possible that she didn't know it was pertussis or even if it is but the second she suspected it, she should have told you. It's possible you might have wanted to get your kids tested right away and on antibiotics. http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/d...treatment.html

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I hope everyone had a great Christmas It was kind of nutso over here so I've been super busy, but it was fun. Of course everyone scattered when it came time to clean up

Nolan had SO much fun unwrapping his presents, he loved each toy and got mad when we took it away to give him another one to unwrap Now its time to get to planning his Birthday party!!!

Chrissy wow Rich did awesome

Bridget I thik your doing the right thing! She has to learn that what she says has meaning. I would also take your kids in, Pertussis is nothing to play around with I hope thati s not what it is though!

So, apparently my brother has made his choice. DH even went out of his way, had a talk with him, and told him that he would be willing to let him live with us rent free as long as he gave us money every week to put back for him to go towards getting his license back-and he refused

He's still doing pills even after the doctor told him that any amount of pills could cause him to have another seizure. I guess it's one of those once it's happened your more prone to them things

I think it's a combo of not wanting to get off the pills and the fact that his ex-gf that is sleeping at his house every night (you know instead of being home with her one year old son ) is not welcome in my home. She has disrespected my mom too many times and he may be ok with that, but I am NOT. You do NOT disrespect my mom. Period. If she comes to my home I am telling you right now, I think a side of me I have repressed for quite a while would come out.

The whole situation frustrates me, but I have to wash my hands of it. I have too much going on in MY life right now, that I definitely don't need his drama. Nolan is what is most importnat to me and anything that threatens that (including my pill popping brother) is not worth it. If things continue he won't even be invited to Nolan's 1st Bday Party

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Christina. I'm glad otherwise your Christmas was good and that Nolan had such a good time! It really is all about them.

Bridget, I would think that if that child had pertussis, you would have suspected it yourself and the mom would have sought treatment long before now. It's not just a cough. It's deep and continuous and will go on so hard and long the child cannot even catch their breath. Their eyes bulge, their face turns bright red (and soon blue if they cannot gasp for air). It is a horrid thing and I cannot imagine any mom letting her child go through that without going directly to ER, via ambulance even. Bobbie had it and it was easily one of the worst experiences ever. I'll never forget the sound of that cough. It's like nothing else I'd ever heard till then, or since.