Page 891 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3917918418818898908918928939019419911391 ... LastLast
Results 26,701 to 26,730 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

That is the hope! He just has to watch it because he can have a bit of a temper and be more strict (thanks stupid evil stepdad....don't hate many but I do/did him and am glad he's dead). And I tend to be the opposite. Good news is that he can point out that I'm creating a monster (like say giving Molly what she wants when whining....and I agree I don't want to teach her to whine but instinct kicks in and I'm like, oh what's wrong baby). Or I can tell him when he's expecting too much and not being patient enough.

Molly the puppy has her first night of kindergarten tonight! Will be interesting to see how she reacts to the others and behaves....class is done off leash! Little stinker this morning was doing sit and lie down...she has only been good at sit but doing lie down great. Course when daddy got home, she wouldn't do it and he was like yeah right was doing lie down nicely. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I think about Abbey's age we started doing rewards stickers for good table manners, with a prize at the end of the week. We just took a few basic things, like sitting in a chair, attempting to use silverware, and they got a lot of praise for taking turns asking, "How was your day?" to various family members and actually listening to the response (that was the hard part). Now whenever I remind them about good table manners, DD promptly sits up straight, smiles, looks at my DH, and says, "How was your day, Daddy?"
    L, I you. If there were more parents like you it would go a long way toward putting me out of business!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Dbf called from the gym to ask me if I'd rather he take a shower there or at home. I was like "Huh? Why would I care?" He's like, "I know you had a rough morning so I wondered which would be easier for you." Oh, too funny. How the? What the?
    O.M.G.

I remember sitting at the table for hours and getting so upset about my mom forcing me to finish my dinner that I would gag and throw up. I think I was like 6 years old when I told myself i would not have that rule with my kids. I also told myself at some point I was never going to use the phrase, "Because I said so." and I have come dangerously close to saying that one.
    I had a very similar experience with my father's homemade turkey soup. It was just awful - truly awful - he hadn't learned to make soup properly yet and he didn't put any flavor in it. Just tasted like boiled turkey. I refused to eat it and I remember sitting at the dinner table all night, until bedtime. Didn't make me eat it or like it, and it taught me nothing. If your cooking is disgusting (my dad, not you girls in here who I'm sure are lovely cooks) don't make your kids suffer. And even if you are a good cook, kids like what they like and often their palate is very different from an adult's. I haven't quite decided how I'll be with dinners but I think I lean toward what L described. We'll see.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I had my appointment with the RE this morning. He did an ultrasound and found some follicles on the left but I hadn't ovulated yet and didn't look as though I was close to O. He thinks I may be developing PCOS and cautioned me to get a lot of exercise - I mentioned my knee injury and that I have been sitting around a lot and he made a frowny face and thinks that may have something to do with it. He advised me to swim, but I don't have a pool so would need to join a gym for that. DH has his own home-made gym and has decided he will be my new personal trainer. He could do it (he does his own training and has led PT for his soldiers) but I had a bad experience with an ex-BF going to the gym together and he "broke" me - that was when I first injured my other knee. So I'm worried about DH "breaking" me.

Sorry, I digress. He also wants me to avoid refined carbohydrates which basically means going Paleo, which is how DH is eating. He thinks it's hysterically funny and laughed and now he's plotting a dietary change. Which I'm not sure how I will handle - I feel hungry if I don't have carbs in my diet and I'm not sure how I will deal with such a big change. I'm a picky eater too so change is hard. DH is allowing me to eat goodies before Christmas, though - the doctor actually told me not to eat "crap" for the holiday. He's a toughie! I like him though.

So the doctor told me if I want to confirm O for certain, to do another ultrasound on Friday. I have to pay out of pocket for it so I don't think we will. The plan at this point is to start Clomid for my next cycle. DH and I think whether I O or not this cycle, we still want to do the clomid so there's not much point in paying out of pocket for another ultrasound because it won't change our decision.

A diet change like that would be really hard for me too. I tried cutting out carbs for awhile to lose weight after I had Savana and I felt hungry all the time. I would sit and daydream about having a bowl of cereal lol! I hope you can do it and that it will come at least a little easier with dh's support. Make sure you get lots of protein! I always used to work out with dbf but he is very bossy and that bugs me.

I really cannot wait for your bfp.

That would be hard for me as well. I cannot do any of those sorts of diets. I get horrible headaches even though I think I may just have an addiction to carbs. I do love them but I can cut back on them and be okay. Also I tend to only eat whole grains now, except pasta because whole wheat pasta reminds me of sandy mud in my mouth so I stick with the white pasta there or get a low carb variety. But I rarely eat pasta anyway.

I also remember being forced to eat at the table. I lived with my grandma between 6 and 8 and she was always on some sort of health kick. She made macaroni and cheese made with some sort of fake stinky cheese and I didn't want to eat it. She didn't yell or anything but said I had to sit there until I was done eating. I had my new brown purse with me and so after a while I put some in there and then stuck some down a vent next to my chair in the dining room and told her I was done.

A few days later the house was smelly extremely funky when she turned on the heat. No one could ever figure out what made that horrible smell LOL! I also forgot I put the stinky macaroni in my purse. I was a tom-boy and never really carried a purse. I had told grandma I needed to go to the rest room and went and got it while I was in the hallway by the bathroom so I could put the macaroni in it! Two years later I was going through my things at a new place we had just moved to and opened it up and a bunch of mold was growing in it and it still was stinky like it was originally. I also had a semi-asthma attack from the spores going into my nose.

Erin

A diet change like that would be really hard for me too. I tried cutting out carbs for awhile to lose weight after I had Savana and I felt hungry all the time. I would sit and daydream about having a bowl of cereal lol! I hope you can do it and that it will come at least a little easier with dh's support. Make sure you get lots of protein! I always used to work out with dbf but he is very bossy and that bugs me.

I really cannot wait for your bfp.
    Thanks. It helps to know I have a whole group of women who would be thrilled to see my BFP.

Also - I meant to mention earlier, something someone said earlier reminded me of when I was testing a little guy the other day. One of my test questions is to see if kids can answer questions by giving a reason, so similar to "Why do we wear shoes?" The little boy answered each question with "Cause you need to." I didn't give him credit - he didn't provide an actual reason - but I was tempted to because I'm sure in a lot of homes if a child asks "Why" they hear "Because I said so" or "Because you have to." So I felt bad scoring him down for it! I thought it was pretty cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    That would be hard for me as well. I cannot do any of those sorts of diets. I get horrible headaches even though I think I may just have an addiction to carbs. I do love them but I can cut back on them and be okay. Also I tend to only eat whole grains now, except pasta because whole wheat pasta reminds me of sandy mud in my mouth so I stick with the white pasta there or get a low carb variety. But I rarely eat pasta anyway.

I also remember being forced to eat at the table. I lived with my grandma between 6 and 8 and she was always on some sort of health kick. She made macaroni and cheese made with some sort of fake stinky cheese and I didn't want to eat it. She didn't yell or anything but said I had to sit there until I was done eating. I had my new brown purse with me and so after a while I put some in there and then stuck some down a vent next to my chair in the dining room and told her I was done.

A few days later the house was smelly extremely funky when she turned on the heat. No one could ever figure out what made that horrible smell LOL! I also forgot I put the stinky macaroni in my purse. I was a tom-boy and never really carried a purse. I had told grandma I needed to go to the rest room and went and got it while I was in the hallway by the bathroom so I could put the macaroni in it! Two years later I was going through my things at a new place we had just moved to and opened it up and a bunch of mold was growing in it and it still was stinky like it was originally. I also had a semi-asthma attack from the spores going into my nose.

Erin
    LOL! This is too funny!

So this morning when Savana came out of her room she had written all over he legs with a washable marker. She made letters. They were really good. I surprised myself even when the first thing I said was, "Wow, Savana. You are getting so good at your letters!" Dbf was like lol.

So I am washing her legs when Kai wakes up screaming that he can't open his eyes. So I go in there to wash his eyes when Sawyer wakes up and I can hear him crying. Of course I have to holler for dbf to go get him because it does not even click for him that I am busy. Then he's just standing in the hallway holding Sawyer watching me wash Savana and help Kai who is very sad and trying to his morning business on the potty. I know he is waiting for me to take Sawyer so he can go play raquetball so I ask him if he's getting ready to leave and he tells me he just doesn't want to cancel on this guy who he is playing with because he's afraid the guy won't call him anymore. I calmly went and took Kai and told him to have fun. I keep thinking how I am surprised that I'm not seething that he actually went to the gym when he is knows I have my hands full here. But I'm not. Because it won't do any good for my morning if i'm all headachy and seething at the same time. The real kicker is that he doesn't even know my daycare kids aren't coming today. I would have had to make Kai stay up here alone all sick and sad.
    Ay yi yi, Bridge. You are the epitome of patience. (Love that your first instinct was to praise Savana's penmanship!) I could stand to become more unaffected by the stuff that DH says/does to bug me too, and by that I mean genuinely unaffected. I don't yell and scream, but he can tell that I'm closing off from him when I'm bothered by something he does. When I get quiet like that, it freaks him out and tends to escalate things one way or another, though I swear I'm trying to keep my calm specifically so we don't get into a fight. If I could just let the stuff totally roll off, then it would be for the best, I think. // At first I thought he was asking if you wanted him to shower at the gym to save on your water/energy costs. My friends in Hawaii shower at the beach in the outdoor showers all the time to keep their utility bills low.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Bridget, you'll have to tell your bf that he needs to shower at the gym to save on y'all's water bill! (My husband tells me things like that. He also washes plastic cutlery that he uses for lunch at work to save money.) Heh.
    Ha! And I just saw this.

On the eating front, it's funny that DH & I were having a tiny disagreement over the same thing last night. I am definitely way more relaxed about it than DH is. I think kids will regulate their hunger themselves, and a lot of it depends on factors like tiredness, what/when they ate previously, and when they last made a poop. And I do think they respond too to what kind of pressure they feel is getting put on them because they are children afterall who are still playing with the idea of their own autonomy, so how you react to their food choices matters. Reacting angrily doesn't really help matters, I think, and if anything, sets up a weird relationship for them to food. DH attaches a significance to whether or not B finishes his meal to all sorts of motives that aren't there. "He's playing you because he wants your attention" he said to me last night. And I answered that "if B feels like he needs my attention there must be underlying reason other than the fact that he's just trying to push my buttons." I just told DH that the rule of thumb he should try to remember is that it's not a competition. Even if Bodhi is trying to push limits, we are the grown ups in the scenario and are there to give him guidance, not to "win".

In a half hour, I'm going in for another appointment to a new salon to get my hair fixed. It's been this long saga, beginning with when I first chopped 4 inches off my hair and the girl told me my hair wouldn't "do" the inverted bob I wanted. So then I went back to the same place and asked another hairdresser to give me the same haircut I'd originally wanted, and she obliged. But she left the right side a quarter inch longer than the left, so I went back again to have her fix that, but she forgot the cut she'd given me just 15 hours before and started cutting it all around and it's no longer inverted. When I stopped her, she'd already cut too much and had to make it all one length again. So annoying! And it's still a little too long on the right.

OK, back to work. I am taking off for a week starting tomorrow - we're all flying out to Vegas to see my family - and I'm having some problems with procrastination.

Gwenn, I just looked up Paleo and it sounds like quite a challenge!

Paleo Challenge: What to eat

1.YES to meat, seafood, vegetables, some fruit, eggs, nuts, and seeds. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, tuna, salmon, shrimp. Avocado, asparagus, arugula, spinach, broccoli, celery, sweet potatoes, yams, any type of leafy green, red cabbage, artichoke. Berries, melon, pomegranate. Chicken eggs, ostrich eggs. (no Do Do eggs). Almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts.
    2.No to processed foods. Pretty much anything in the middle of the grocery store. Can't recognize it growing or running around in the wild? Don't eat it.
    3.No to sugar. I don't care whether it's super natural 100% organic fair trade sugar from the honey of communitarian bees, ITS STILL SUGAR. No sweeteners, no agave nectar, honey or maple syrup.
    4.No grains. This includes bread, rice, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, corn and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa and sprouted grains.
    5.No to legumes. Peanuts, peanut-butter, beans, peas, lentils.
    6.No to dairy. Milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
    7.Less alcohol. No sugary mixers, no beer or alcohols containing gluten.
    8.Fewer sweet fruits and starchy vegetables. Bananas, eating a bunch of apples, dried fruit, or white potatoes. (If you have serious inflammation issues like arthritis, you may want to consider avoiding all nightshades for 30 days.)
    9.Cook with real fats. If you're cooking, then cook with lard or animal fat. If you don't have that, then cook with coconut oil, olive oil, or butter.
    I think I'd have the hardest time with #4 & #5. No oatmeal? Especially no oatmeal with honey? My world would be a sadder place. Good luck with any dietary changes you decide to make!

Myles, DH does a mixture of Paleo and Primal - I'm in the habit of referring to both as Paleo but he says he will make me do more Primal. I demanded potatoes as I can't live without them. Primal is similar to Paleo but does allow dairy and some other things. It's a little more flexible.

ETA - DH cooks with olive oil or butter, not lard.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Good luck with your hair appt Myles! Are you going to see your sis in Vegas? Are things better between you two?
    On the shower thing, it would be totally his style to try to cut water costs but our water expense comes from our holding tank needing to be emptied once a month and he has run our bath water out to our garden so that it does not go into the holding tank. I think in his crazy mind he was feeling guilt about leaving and thought to himself how kind it would be for him to offer to rush home after and not shower there. But then he'd just be showering here which would mean he'd not be helping me at all so I don't know who the heck he thinks he's fooling with that noise.

Erin that story about the mac and cheese is absolutely hilarious. I once stuffed a brat (It's like a big sausage if you don't know.) into my sweatshirt pocket because I had to clean my plate before I could leave the table (even though my mom knew I hated brats) so I took it into the bathroom and flushed it down the toilet. I had a friend over for dinner that night and advised her not to use the upstairs bathroom because I was not sure if that brat would make it through the pipes and I didn't want her to get blamed for ruining the toilet. I saw her at our class reunion and she actually said, "Remember when you flushed that brat down the toilet?" and we had a good laugh about that. I didn't eat brats for about 15 years after that. I didn't eat spaghetti or mac and cheese for many years even as an adult because those were two of the meals I threw up after my mom made me eat it. So yeah, I guess the conclusion that we've drawn here is that it really does matter how you react to your kids at the dinner table!

Ick brats!

sorry to those who were forced to eat icky things. that was one thing I never had to do....wish I had been encouraged more to try things though (mom did try for a while but my dad made it impossible).

Mandy, I agree with not paying for another ultrasound. And glad to hear that you will do IUI with clomid. I know I had good timing the three months I did clomid but didn't do IUI and part of me wishes we had. Clomid can really dry you up.
    and nope, cannot give up carbs. OMG I was miserable after the gastric bypass the first few two months when I was only allowed to eat protein. (and not even red meat). I couldn't eat cottage cheese for years after that. I was sooooo much happier when I added some fruits, veggies and a bit of carbs back in. Now the doc said no refined carbs right? That would mean the white starchy ones? But can still have complext whole grains?

Myles good luck with the hair!

I'm excited...didn't think that we would see anyone for xmas but looks like we are going to visit both families for the holidays!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My meal that I gagged on at the table was asparagus. To this day, I cannot even be in a house where asparagus is being cooked. Blech. Yuck. Argle bargle fargle gargle. Blecchhhh. I would chew on it until it was this slimy pulp in my mouth and then try to swallow it down with a big drink of milk, and it would swish around in my mouth and gag me. I'm getting nauseated just writing about it.

Oh, and that reminds me (speaking of awful retching noises), that I was in Toys R Us yesterday and DS said he had to pee almost immediately after we got in there. So I took the cart to the back of the store and since everyone else had just peed one store ago, I was toying with the idea of sending DS into the men's bathroom by himself to go while we waited outside. Because it's a pain to take three kids into the bathroom, you know? And then we started hearing this super-loud BLEEEAAAAUGGGHHHHHHH! from the men's bathroom. Everyone jumped. And there it was again. Even louder. BLEEEAAAAUGGGHHHHHHH! I said "Sounds like someone's vomiting!" and quickly hurried everyone out of the cart and into the women's bathroom, because I didn't want to send DS into the scary-noise bathroom. And they dared ask me why they had to wash their hands afterward. When I was regaling DH with the story at dinner, Baby S. about fell out of his high chair, he was laughing so much when I repeated the BLEEEAAAAUGGGHHHHHHH! He clapped his hands and shouted "Again! Again!"

Gwenn, good luck with the diet. It will be miserable for a little while, but if you can make it 3 weeks without any sweets and low carbs, you will find it much easier. If you sneak treats in there, at least in my experience, you re-set that 3 week timer to the beginning, so it's not even worth it.

Mylah, I hope you enjoy Vegas, and get to enjoy some adult time.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 12-20-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: From whence the vomitus came!

LOL L!!!! Was it a Toys R Us with BRU in it? Maybe it was PG woman with some nausea.

Bridget you made me want some Brats! I love them. They are one of the only hot-dog-ish sausages I will eat, those and actual hot dogs from this Polish grocery store near my mom's house (they are the kind with the thick casing that snap when you eat them, we literally grew up on hot dogs, hamburger, and chicken leg quarters and so I don't eat any of them hardly ever anymore). Oh, and their kielbasa's. It is nice to live in the "Polish Village" at times. But that is just hilarious and I could just imagine a huge brat clogging the toilet! Too funny!

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 12-20-2011 at 03:20 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'll have to go back and edit my story, because it wasn't clear enough. It was these awful demonic-sounding loud retching noises coming from the men's bathroom, so I was scared to send DS in there by himself. But it did have a BRU in there. Being a nurse, I have heard a lot of vomiting in my life, but never anything like that. I thought the person may have been turning himself inside out. *Shudder*

LOL! And wow - that you're a nurse and haven't heard worse vomiting. Must have been really something!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Mandy, I agree with not paying for another ultrasound. And glad to hear that you will do IUI with clomid. I know I had good timing the three months I did clomid but didn't do IUI and part of me wishes we had. Clomid can really dry you up.
    and nope, cannot give up carbs. OMG I was miserable after the gastric bypass the first few two months when I was only allowed to eat protein. (and not even red meat). I couldn't eat cottage cheese for years after that. I was sooooo much happier when I added some fruits, veggies and a bit of carbs back in. Now the doc said no refined carbs right? That would mean the white starchy ones? But can still have complext whole grains?
    He did say refined carbohydrates, but this is a big thing with DH. He's been doing/researching the paleo/primal thing for years at a time when he was under close medical supervision (through the Army, having lots of medical check-ups, etc). He's incredibly healthy and only gets more healthy the longer he continues on the paleo/primal so he firmly believes in the good effects and is certain the medical community is just waiting to validate the evils of carbs, and the doctor saying that just validated for DH everything DH is waiting to hear. And because DH eats that way, it really makes sense if I'm going to make a big diet change that I should change to eat the way he does. So I think I will mostly go along with the paleo/primal thing.

Ugh, I don't want to hear that it dries you up. With my not being in the mood I'm dry enough to begin with. Yuck. We'll likely just do Clomid for a cycle or two and if it doesn't work we'll move to IUI + clomid.

L, that vomiting story is very descriptive! I can hear it in my head. Eeeew!

I keep meaning to tell y'all about the other day. I'd bought some peanut M&M's and was sharing them with DH. He was scarfing them down like he does all food, so I said to him, "Try eating them like I do" and described how I like to suck on them til the hard sugar coat is nearly all gone and then I chew on them. So, he tried it and didn't say anything. About 30 minutes later, he turned to me and said, "it's like I've learned a hidden secret!" I didn't know what he was talking about at first and realised he was talking about his new found way to eat an M&M.

L, that vomiting story is very descriptive! I can hear it in my head. Eeeew!

I keep meaning to tell y'all about the other day. I'd bought some peanut M&M's and was sharing them with DH. He was scarfing them down like he does all food, so I said to him, "Try eating them like I do" and described how I like to suck on them til the hard sugar coat is nearly all gone and then I chew on them. So, he tried it and didn't say anything. About 30 minutes later, he turned to me and said, "it's like I've learned a hidden secret!" I didn't know what he was talking about at first and realised he was talking about his new found way to eat an M&M.

Thanks for the advice. I feel like we need to wipe the slate clean and start all over. We are both way too tense.

Earlier this morning DH went to wake me up and Josh was watching tv. It was running a bit long so I went to see and it was an hour long episode instead of the usual half hour. Since I wasn't going to be ready to go anywhere for at least that long anyway I let Josh finish watching it. DH said I was a nice mommy and I said I'd probably be a lot less strict if I wasn't always trying to act like I'm in compliance with the doling out punishments that DH seems to like to do.

Mandy yeah it does make sense to eat how DH does....just makes things easier if you are both doing the same thing.
    And yeah a side effect can be drying...order some preseed from amazon unless you have a store that sells it in town. And drink a lot of water.

I commend you for going with the diet. That was my biggest fear when I had surgery...sometimes people have issues with pasta, potatoes and bread afterwards. I was sooooooooo relieved I could still have them after a while. I just try to make sure to have them with protein and veggies....or have whole grain.
    I don't buy into the carbs are evil though. I know I personally have too many and like them wayyyyy too much. but when you think about places where people are very healthy and live a long time....they do eat carbs (rice, pasta....).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't completely buy it either, but I'm going with it short term. I have heard there is a connection with carbs and PCOS (haven't researched it, though) so if it will help with TTC it's worth it. I can't imagine it will be a life-long eating change, though. And DH usually does 1-2 "cheat meals" per week so I really think in a way it's all about balance.

ETA: I do have to say that DH is very much healthier and feels better when he is doing the low carb thing, though. He has very low blood pressure, lost weight quickly, etc so although I don't think carbs are evil, I do think it's a healthy lifestyle to avoid them if that makes sense. I don't know how well I'll do though, since I have zero willpower.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.

LOL ... DH is playing Kid Rock, very loudly, on his computer. He just walked into the room where his computer was and found the cat sitting on his office chair in front of the computer, watching with interest. I so wish I'd gotten a picture. Kitty has attitude!

LOL!

I can't do the low carb thing...I've also lost interest in the WW thing already...sigh...
    DH and I are going to look at treadmill sales after Christmas. I'm a little bit pissed off that he spent so much on a Celtics jacket for his dad that we couldn't get the treadmill last week, but I guess waiting another week isn't horrible. I am just a little confused that he bought an expensive jacket for someone who has very little involvement in our lives rather than the one thing I wanted to get for myself (ourselves, really) this year.
    Yup, feeling selfish today.

I have a group of girlfriends I grew up with who think of me whenever the subject of asparagus comes up. The reason for that is that we were at one of their bridal showers once, where they served asparagus. And one friend said, "I love asparagus, but it turns your pee green." And me being my usual random goofball self, said - for no particular reason - "You see? The difference between you and me is that you put a 'but' in that sentence, where I would have put an 'and' in it."

"I like asparagus, AND it turns your pee green."

I didn't even think it was all that funny, but the whole table erupted in a laugh attack that lasted for about 5 minutes. So even today, I get FB messages on my wall that say stuff like, "Eating asparagus and thinking of you fondly..."

I once tossed my cookies in a BRU when I was pregnant. True story.

OK, my hair looked good once the lady swiveled me around in my chair to have a final look at it. I have but one complaint, though. It's something I noticed only after I got home and showed the new do off to DH, and it didn't bother me in the salon so I guess it's not that bad. But anyway, I had asked for the lady to leave it longest in the front. I even showed her this pic:

schoolsout3a.jpg

And I don't know if hairdresser's take an oath or something, but every time I ask one to do that - it's like they can't help themselves - I always end up with short layers in the front. It's very frustrating. Maybe it's the texture of my hair that makes them all think they have to layer it to make it look thicker or something, but ... gah, why can't anyone follow directions?

I have a group of girlfriends I grew up with who think of me whenever the subject of asparagus comes up. The reason for that is that we were at one of their bridal showers once, where they served asparagus. And one friend said, "I love asparagus, but it turns your pee green." And me being my usual random goofball self, said - for no particular reason - "You see? The difference between you and me is that you put a 'but' in that sentence, where I would have put an 'and' in it."

"I like asparagus, AND it turns your pee green!"

I didn't even think it was all that funny, but the whole table erupted in a laugh attack that lasted for about 5 minutes. So even today, I get FB messages on my wall that say stuff like, "Eating asparagus and thinking of you fondly..."

I once tossed my cookies in a BRU when I was pregnant. True story.

OK, my hair looked good once the lady swiveled me around in my chair to have a final look at it. I have but one complaint, though. It's something I noticed only after I got home and showed the new do off to DH, and it didn't bother me in the salon so I guess it's not that bad. But anyway, I had asked for the lady to leave it longest in the front. I even showed her this pic:

schoolsout3a.jpg

And I still ended up with a little swoop of shorter hair in the front. I don't know if hairdresser's take an oath or something, but every time I ask one to do that - it's like they can't help themselves - I always end up with short layers in the front. It's very frustrating. Maybe it's the texture of my hair that makes them all think they have to layer it to make it look thicker or something, but ... gah, why can't anyone follow directions?

LOL at the asparagus story!

Ok so perfect example of the irrationality and quickness to punish I see DH exhibit around here.
    Josh is like, obsessed with the stapler. I've been letting him use it as much as he wants but I found some loose staples on the floor today and I was telling Josh he needs to be careful about that because someone can be hurt if they step on a staple. DH said "You could just take the stapler away." Why would I take it away when there is a fairly simple lesson to be learned instead?

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    LOL at the asparagus story!

Ok so perfect example of the irrationality and quickness to punish I see DH exhibit around here.
    Josh is like, obsessed with the stapler. I've been letting him use it as much as he wants but I found some loose staples on the floor today and I was telling Josh he needs to be careful about that because someone can be hurt if they step on a staple. DH said "You could just take the stapler away." Why would I take it away when there is a fairly simple lesson to be learned instead?
    I agree with you, Kate. I think it's important to give kids more responsibility as they become older and also to give them a chance to be successful. If Josh continued to leave staples on the floor after a few reminders he could be told that in order for him to continue using it, you have to to be able to trust that he will not do that any longer. Savana and Kai like to play with toothpicks, usually as a form of currency. One day Sawyer had gotten ahold of one they left on the floor and dbf went into safety enforcer mode and said that they were not allowed to use the toothpicks any longer. Mil happened to be here and give her opinion from the peanut gallery saying she couldn't believe we let them play with toothpicks and she knew it was unsafe. I wondered just like you why we couldn't just tell Savana and Kai not to leave them on the floor and why. It's funny that they (my dbf, your dh) think the kids are capable of using some covert powers of manipulation to get what they want from us but incapable of understanding and following a simple set of rules to keep everyone safe.

It's funny that they (my dbf, your dh) think the kids are capable of using some covert powers of manipulation to get what they want from us but incapable of understanding and following a simple set of rules to keep everyone safe.
    Excellent point. It might be worth mentioning to them.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Uh oh. I don't think I like this new mobile version of APA on my phone. I can't scroll to see other posts I'm
    replying to. And I don't have the checkbox to suppress my siggy.

I think I'll click Full Site after this.

Anyway, just wanted to say ...Bridget, excellent point!