Page 872 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3727728228628708718728738748829229721372 ... LastLast
Results 26,131 to 26,160 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I just got the proofs through from our photo shoot; would any of y'all want to look through them and tell me which ones that you think are best? There are only 39 pictures to look through....if you do, I can send the sign on and password on a PM....

I'd love to see!

Me too!

Erin, the first block of soap I got (that Christina got a piece of) is as you described. I loved that it left me feeling clean without any perfumes or cover-ups. But. POKEY. I didn't realize and man, it scratched the heck out of me. That's why I decided to try the Dudu. The scent it leaves on the skin isn't strong, so I'm okay with it, but once the 3 bars are over, I'll go back to the other black soap.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    I am so allergic to smoke I wouldn't ever allow smoking in my house, especially if you are adopting in the future.

I would love to take G to see the new Muppet movie, but he doesn't know who the Muppets are! When I was little I lived for The Muppet Show and any Muppet movie. I saw they have a Muppet 8 ball out, I secretly want one for myself. Stupid I know.
    I smoke and won't allow it in my house!

I think G would love it even if he doesn't know who they are! Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Yeah the smoke doesn't bother me really (well like if we are in a car it does!) but it does bother DH with his allergies. But I was thinking that if the window was open some of the time and her bedroom door closed (and there is another door at the basement stairs that is always closed) and an air filter ran....maybe it would be ok.

Ideally she would quit smoking but she's been doing it since her teens (including while pg with DH). After watching her mom die of copd in august, she was pretty strong about trying to quit again and started taking chantix. It did seem like she went outside less often during Thanksgiving.
    I really don't think it's too much to ask her to smoke outside. I do it and I make the rules in my house. If it's cold and rainy, either I go without or I huddle under an umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I don't allow smoking in any part of the house. It doesn't matter which corner you do it in, the smell eventually permeates everything, including the walls.
    It also discolors the walls in the room(s) where people smoke. My aunt allowed it in her house (even though she wasn't a smoker) and I remember you could clearly see the outlines of all the pictures when she took them down. The walls were yellowed/brown and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I'm just putting a lesson plan together to teach about exclamation points and question marks to the 5th graders tomorrow; I'm thinking I might get them to play that game they played on "Whose Line is it Any Way?" where you went back and forth between people and could only ask questions....do y'all think they could do that or will that be a dud? Most of them are 9 or 10 years old.
    I really couldn't say. I'm not familiar with that game at all. Sorry!

I just got the proofs through from our photo shoot; would any of y'all want to look through them and tell me which ones that you think are best? There are only 39 pictures to look through....if you do, I can send the sign on and password on a PM....
    Me! I just want to see them 'cause I'm nosy.

Bobbie's at her 5-hour course. I didn't even think about it, but it goes till 9:30 and it's about a half hour away. That's a really late night for me to be out! Especially during the week.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 12-01-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I didn't like the getting scratched up part, and got some Dudu Osun this time. It's a good soap, but too perfum-y for my liking. The odd thing is that the smell seems to dissipate after the shower, so at least I don't walk around smelling strongly of soap. I think the soap you have works best if you turn it into liquid soap first.
    I agree, but if it doesn't make me itchy and dry I am more than willing to deal!

I'm just putting a lesson plan together to teach about exclamation points and question marks to the 5th graders tomorrow; I'm thinking I might get them to play that game they played on "Whose Line is it Any Way?" where you went back and forth between people and could only ask questions....do y'all think they could do that or will that be a dud? Most of them are 9 or 10 years old.
    I think that sounds awesome!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Me Me!!

Called the RE's office today and spoke with the receptionist. She said she'd ask the doctor what he wanted to do, either come in for testing or wait it out for a while. Took down my phone number and said she'd call me back, and never did.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Called the RE's office today and spoke with the receptionist. She said she'd ask the doctor what he wanted to do, either come in for testing or wait it out for a while. Took down my phone number and said she'd call me back, and never did.
    Ugh... What a pita! I hate when dr offices do that

Oh man how frustrating!

You'd think that a RE's office of all places would know not to do that. How frustrating for you, Mandy!

Ashley, yes I want to see the pictures. I forgot to say how your Travis story was. I think the Whose Line questions would be funny, I say do it.

Maybe I will talk dh to taking me to the Muppet movie for our Anniversary this month, heh. I doubt that will happen. We usually do dinner and movie for our dates. I am not even sure what is playing. He always wants to see a action movie. Oh I know, he wants to see Tin Tin. Never heard of that movie, but he is excited, he read the books when he was a kid.

mandy, that is so frustrating! I wish people would return phone calls before they go home.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Bobbie's 5-hour course was essentially a waste of time. I mean, she got her certificate so she can schedule her road test, but the guy was a conspiracy theorist and talked mostly about how the government put RF chips in all our clothing and tracks where we go. On one hand it's funny, but then I think about all the 16-year-old city kids he was blathering to and I don't find that funny at all. The scary thing is he's been 'teaching' at this driver school for 16 years. Bobbie said he only talked about driving about 5% of the time...the rest was how the government was watching us.

Wow Chrissy

Jeez that is crazy sounding. They should find someone else for that course!

Yeah it's Friday! Going to do a bunch of errands tonight that normally would have waited until tomorrow but we are supposed to get a winter storm. I have heard anything from 4-8 inches.

Talked to DH and MIL last night. Sounds like it's definitely an option on the table. Right now she's not making any moves until she is 62 so it would be a little over another year. The little more ideal thing would be her own apartment BUT not sure if the money will be there for that. Also it would change things if she found a job by us or in Milwaukee. Health insurance is a biggie and not sure how the new laws coming up might affect that. She's older, smoker, a bit overweight and has a history of cancer so definitely not easy to get insurance privately...and the state high risk plan isn't cheap. She would definitely need privacy because she said much as she loves DH, he can really irritate her sometimes. Not me though. I'm a perfect daughter in law. And than she says we have to really think about it and if we want to give up Saturday afternoon sex on the living room floor. OMG. Usually we ignore her when she get TMI on us. And she said she would really like to be able to do some plants and garden. I would LOVE that. She's great at that and our yard is pretty much a blank slate....I just didn't want too much outdoor work too quickly.

The other thing floating around out there is her dad. Grandpa is alone now with grandma gone and he's 90 and still pretty healthy. She would love to move up here with him and than they could either rent or buy a little condo maybe.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Seriously, what century are we living in? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...acial-couples/

Wow, Suja. That is pretty messed up. Some people are so blatantly ignorant. I'm glad I live in such a liberal area and don't have to deal with that attitude.

Sounds like there are some options on the table Jennifer. Thats great!

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people??
    "I am not racist. I will tell you that. I am not prejudiced against any race of people, have never in my lifetime spoke evil" about a race, said Thompson, the church's former pastor who stepped down earlier this year. "That's what this is being portrayed as, but it is not."
    Um... your banning interracial couples that makes you a racist you twit!

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Sounds like there are some options on the table Jennifer. Thats great!

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people??

I know, right? Why isn't there a follow-up question? If you're banning people from participating in the church, and you're not a racist, then what are you?

And in other bigotry news, http://content.usatoday.com/communit...army-boycott/1

I know, right? Why isn't there a follow-up question? If you're banning people from participating in the church, and you're not a racist, then what are you?

And in other bigotry news, http://content.usatoday.com/communit...army-boycott/1
    I'm a little confused, what does the Salvation Army do to show it has a problem with gays/lesbians?? I've never heard that before...

Coming out of lurking mode to say and I'd like to re-enter the Secular room if you'll have me (now that I have my sanity back and my rational hat on).

This

2/09 6/09 4/14

Quote Originally Posted by Aelith View Post
    Coming out of lurking mode to say and I'd like to re-enter the Secular room if you'll have me (now that I have my sanity back and my rational hat on).

This
    Um... we don't allow rational people in this NET... Move on

Um... we don't allow rational people in this NET... Move on
    Dang it

2/09 6/09 4/14

Aelith hi!

Um, yeah if it walks like a racist duck and quacks like a racist duck, it's a racist duck.

Yeah!!!! Saw that Dexter was renewed for 2 more seasons!!!!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm a little confused, what does the Salvation Army do to show it has a problem with gays/lesbians?? I've never heard that before...
    Besides the church's stance that homosexual people should simply choose an abstinence lifestyle?

They have turned down homosexual couples seeking services for refusing to break up with each other.

They have lobbied to be exempt from the equal employment clause so they do not have to treat their LGBT employees (if any) the same as they would the others.

They have threatened to close up shop and provide no services to anyone when NYC required charities that do business with them to offer domestic partner benefits to everyone.

They tried to lobby the Bush administration into not providing funding for local governments that had active laws against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

When New Zealand tried to repeal their sodomy laws to make it okay for adults of the same gender to engage in consensual sex, they tried to get that blocked.

Und so weiter.

Another huge problem for me is that they raise funds privately, accept funds from the government ("our money"), yet provide no disclosure on what they're spending this money on. They do not have to file financial disclosure forms because they are a religious organization, and therefore exempt. Anyway, I know they do a lot of good, but there are lots of organizations that do a lot of good and do not discriminate. IMO, if you replace the term 'LGBT' with something else - women, African Americans, Hispanics, Jews - and it's not okay to do that to them, it's not okay to do it to anyone else either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelith View Post
    Sane and rational, you say? There's got to be a room somewhere for that, right? You might not have a lot of company though

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Aelith hi!

Um, yeah if it walks like a racist duck and quacks like a racist duck, it's a racist duck.

Yeah!!!! Saw that Dexter was renewed for 2 more seasons!!!!

Ooo, yay!
    Have you been watching? I was kind of getting bored with this season, until the most recent episode. WOW.

Sane and rational, you say? There's got to be a room somewhere for that, right? You might not have a lot of company though
    Like a padded room?

I've know several people who belonged to the Salvation Army in my life (my mother's cousin, some people I with whom I went to high school). That being said, every single one of them were/are a bit on the bizarre side and were definitely homophobic (and lots of other kinds of phobic too). I stopped donating to SA a long time ago.

2/09 6/09 4/14

Hey Aelith! It's good to see you back here!

Besides the church's stance that homosexual people should simply choose an abstinence lifestyle?

They have turned down homosexual couples seeking services for refusing to break up with each other.

They have lobbied to be exempt from the equal employment clause so they do not have to treat their LGBT employees (if any) the same as they would the others.

They have threatened to close up shop and provide no services to anyone when NYC required charities that do business with them to offer domestic partner benefits to everyone.

They tried to lobby the Bush administration into not providing funding for local governments that had active laws against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

When New Zealand tried to repeal their sodomy laws to make it okay for adults of the same gender to engage in consensual sex, they tried to get that blocked.

Und so weiter.

Another huge problem for me is that they raise funds privately, accept funds from the government ("our money"), yet provide no disclosure on what they're spending this money on. They do not have to file financial disclosure forms because they are a religious organization, and therefore exempt. Anyway, I know they do a lot of good, but there are lots of organizations that do a lot of good and do not discriminate. IMO, if you replace the term 'LGBT' with something else - women, African Americans, Hispanics, Jews - and it's not okay to do that to them, it's not okay to do it to anyone else either.
    See how did I not know this, how horrible

Yeah I don't drop into the red buckets either. I mean doing good is great BUT it doesn't have to come at the expense of others.

I haven't seen the last Dexter yet but I basically know the big spoiler I think....and actually saw it coming 2 episodes ago. But I love the show anyway. And all I can think of when I see Gellar is that Admiral Bill Adama is not supposed to be a nasty freaky person. LOL Probably a fun role for Edward James Olmos to play though after BSG.
    I just love Michael C Hall....he's so great at acting.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36