Page 865 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3657658158558638648658668678759159651365 ... LastLast
Results 25,921 to 25,950 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I can only imagine how heart wrenching this is for you.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, Bridget. That breaks my heart.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh Bridget, how awful for you! Have you given her sort of a deadline? Say, like whenever school closes for the holidays? Mark it off on the calendar, and say that is the day you will revisit whether she wants to be homeschooled or not, and that it is not a topic for daily discussion?

Over the weekend, there were a couple of times when Mira went nekkid. The first time, DH told her that if she felt like peeing, to let him know. She did right away, he took her to the bathroom, and she promptly peed. They came back out, and almost right away, she said she had to go again (I'm rolling my eyes), he took her, and she peed a ton! Then again today, she was nekkid before she got into her PJs, and said ''Mama, Pee coming'. I took her to the bathroom, put her on the potty, and she promptly peed! You should've seen the smile on her face! She's really getting it (it didn't work at all a couple of weeks ago), but the timing is lousy. Do you think we should make an effort at doing this now, since on all likelihood, I won't be able to take her to the bathroom when she needs to when we are traveing?
    Last edited by Suja; 11-27-2011 at 08:20 PM.

I think it's common for kids to have really opposite feelings like that though. Josh is like that a lot, he'll eagerly go to swimming lessons and have a blast and then tell us later that he doesn't really like it. Not as extreme as Savana but maybe the same kind of deal. It's very frustrating.

Suja, I would go for it as long as she stays into it.

I have been telling Savana until Christmas break.

She should be ok, even while traveling.

That reminds me...Conner was doing better when we went to AZ (from NY) about going potty than he is now. And he was 2 then! I didn't have to change him once on any of the flights but I'm thinking now he wouldn't make it even from Ithaca to Detroit (maybe 3-ish hours?) without an accident. He won't ask to use a potty where anyone else can hear him. He's regressed terribly

Alrighty then. I'll take a low key, no stress approach to it then. Keep her naked from the waist down for short periods of time, and try to extend it. I have a super busy week ahead of me, and am not sure the nanny will stay on top of it otherwise. I' take over at 6 in the afternoon, and will try it then first, until she goes to bed. If that goes well, I'll see if DH can do the same in the morning when he takes her. If that works, we can try it during the day, except when she naps. I just don't want her to be totally good, ask to go when the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is on, and then get upset about it ( assuming she'll even go on it).

For us it didn't seem to matter what method we used, he just one day kind of got it. He has regressed a lot lately but he's getting better.

We're frustrated over here with the potty training, as it seems like nothing we do makes any difference, so I'm sorry I have no advice for Mira, just positive potty vibes.

Bridget, that must be so tough and painful to hear Savana's protests. I'm so sorry. I agree with you that this is a big fear she could conquer. And try to see it this way: nothing is irreversible, and most mistakes are recoverable. Always plenty of time to correct course. Perhaps that attitude, coupled with helping her visualize some positive possibilities, will help her give school a real quality try without her getting attached to any one outcome. Inthink she's already grown from the new experience.

The weekend was really awesome, even with DH gone and working most of the time. I had my little buddy to keep me company, and we played a lot with friends this weekend as well as in the yard. Huge batches of play dough were made too. The only downer to develop is that I found out my girlfriend - the needy one whose visit last July was all
    high drama if you recall - lost custody of her baby girl to the dad this week. She had another nervous breakdown and ended up od'ing on sleeping pills (while daughter was with dad), and got placed under psychiatric observation. The dad now has a restraining order against her, he has their daughter, and if she wants to see the baby, her lawyer has to contact his lawyer. All this basically because she flipped out having learned the dad got a new girlfriend. I have a lot of critical thoughts reserved for my friend, but I am also extremely sad for her. She only got to see her baby for one supervised hour in the last 72 hrs. That separation must be excruciating to even the most sane mom. I just want what's best for the baby girl, and she's probably looking for her mommy. At the same time, I honestly don't know if she's a fit mother. CPS automatically got involved because of the psychiatric aspects of the case, and even the father didn't pass muster with them because his place wasn't considered babyproofed enough. They were saying the baby could end up in foster care. My heart is hurting for the baby.

Gosh, Myles that's really sad about your friend. I hope that whatever comes of it that they do right by the little girl. It's so very sad when we see our friends and family making poor decisions. I remember having a conversation with my cousin who is sister to my cousin who mysteriously disappeared last year a long time ago before it all got really bad with him about how she wished he'd turn his life around and I said to her we can't live people's lives for them no matter how much we want to.

On the potty training thing, just keep at it, y'all. You'll get there eventually. We've had a bad week with Travis' constipation. He just all of a sudden has these days where he really struggles to go. I had to give him a suppository. I hope I never have to do that again! It did the trick, though, and he's back to his 'regular' self again!

We had a busy weekend; we got together with a group of Americans on Saturday evening for a Thanksgiving meal and then yesterday we visited a Christmas land type of place that had an "enchanted wood" that we walked through with all sorts lights in the trees and figurines all lit up. Next weekend, we're off to see Santa on the Santa train.

I'm not well today; I've had a sore throat for a few days and it's gotten worse and now I have a funny tummy, too. Both boys were up through the night, so now I'm just so tired. Hopefully, Cash will take a nap soon and I'll get some rest, too. I need to curl up in my snuggy on the couch and get some zzzzz's! I'm really craving some comfort food, though, and would just love a big piece of choclate cake!

Mandy, have you tested again? I hope you get your BFP soon!

Myles, I never did listen all the way through to the new Coldplay CD as I fell asleep on the couch when I had the CD on it, but I've loved what I've heard so far....they have gone all synthesized, though, haven't they? I love all their albums; our first dance song at our wedding was "In My Place." I can't believe some of y'all didn't know Coldplay...shame on you, ladies! Mellow and moody music is what I'm all about!

That's really sad about your friend Myles. It sounds like she's severely depressed, at the very least. to her. Losing her daughter won't help, but I can totally understand why they took her. I hope she has a good therapist/psychiatrist to help her. She needs to make a plan to get better and get her daughter back. It's possible, but she cannot give up.

Depression and other mental disorders are so cruel. You really cannot make good decisions when your brain isn't functioning properly

That's very sad about your friend Myles

Oh, Mylah. That story about your friend just breaks my heart. Is the dad a stand up guy outside of not having a baby proof house? I sure hope so.

I had such a crazy night! Sawyer woke up around 1am as per usual and nursed but then was wide awake! For TWO HOURS! Wth? He was just talking and laughing and smacking me in the face. Finally after that agonizing two hours he was just dozing off on my chest when the kitten came running in and as soon as he heard the jingling of her bell he shot up and screeched with joy. So I got her out, which made Sawyer screech again with not so much joy. Another few minutes and I had him almost asleep again when Savana came busting in asking if she could sleep with us. So I was sandwiched between them the rest of the night..so tired right now.

Savana got on the bus with minimal tears this morning after a long talk about how life is everchanging.

I do hope she has a great day. Poo on not getting a good nights rest.

Myles, I hope your friend gets better, and can regain custody of her child. I hope the kid doesn't end up in foster care - our house is not exactly kid proofed, but it is kidproofed enough for our kid.

Sad about your friend Myles. I hope she gets help and she can eventually get her daughter back at least some of the time.

for you and Savana too, Bridget. I think you are looking at the whole experience in exactly the right light. My hope is that her fear of school comes from knowing that she will have to curb her OCD symptoms while in school, which would be very scary to her. How are her compulsions now? Have you noticed any change?

A round of antibiotics that caused major gastrointestinal distress sent us back to square one with potty learning, so I'm no help either.

I have a "viability ultrasound" tomorrow at 3 pm and I'm so nervous. over here.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Myles, I hope your friend gets better, and can regain custody of her child. I hope the kid doesn't end up in foster care - our house is not exactly kid proofed, but it is kidproofed enough for our kid.
    Same here. But I never say never. I have a feeling Sawyer might need a totally babyproof house. Savana could always be trusted to not touch what she'd been told not to touch. Kai couldn't get away with anything with Savana on his back.

Darnit, everyone is calling in sick today. I hope this is not going to go on all winter.

Okay, popping on after having an internet outage since last Monday. My internet is still not on at the house. I am soooo going to look for a new ISP as I despise AT&T plus I found out they raised their prices to double what they originally were when I signed up with them. It used to be $14.99 now it is $30 a month. I can get way better speed and service for $40 a month so it would be worth it to ditch them and go with something better but I haven't shopped around for this service in a while and prices have probably gone up anyway but we'll see.

Anyway, had a great Thanksgiving. My old boss came over and we had a ball. She has been getting all sorts of job offers left and right and has narrowed it down to 2 positions. She said she may create a position for me wherever she goes and steals me from my current company. She is so flattering. I really don't think I'm all that phenomenal of a worker. I just come on time and am courteous and don't like to lolly gag around at work. My current boss though offered me more money and a promotion (which I'm not sure I want) after the new year. She is giving me time to think about it. We'll see though as DH still may get the firefighter job in Chicago and I don't want to accept the position right now since it requires training, I'll have to go to NC for the training for about a week. The training costs a lot of money and I don't want her to waste the money if I'm not going to be around to do the job. DH thinks I should go anyway and get the job skills but that seems shady to me and I'm a big karma believer and don't want to bring any bad karma into my life over a training sessions I don't need.

I love the Christmas card pics of your kids L! They are so adorable. I actually remember all of the old ones you showed. I have been around here way too long I guess.

I hope Savana starts to enjoy school Bridget. I know that must be hard seeing her upset like that. When I first put Ky into daycare (that was not my mom's house) he would tell me everyday that he didn't want to go and would cry. It was so sad and I would just feel horrible about taking him there. Of course at the end of the day, he didn't want to leave and had to go around and give all his friends hugs and tell them he would see them tomorrow. He knew kids in every class and all the teachers and it was so funny to me because it was like he was some sort of celebrity on the way out with everyone wanting to hug him and tell him goodbye and they'd see him tomorrow (or whenever). I hope Savana at least enjoys the kids and teachers and activities while she is at school and that she is just missing you all and her routine.

Molly, sending positive vibes your way in regards to the ultrasound tomorrow, crossing toes and fingers for you.

Kate, LOVE the new pic of Josh. He is just adorable! It looks like he is trying to imitate Mickey Mouse with colorful ears.

Hope all the sick kiddos are doing better now.

Oh and welcome Aimee to the group!

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Sad about your friend Myles. I hope she gets help and she can eventually get her daughter back at least some of the time.

for you and Savana too, Bridget. I think you are looking at the whole experience in exactly the right light. My hope is that her fear of school comes from knowing that she will have to curb her OCD symptoms while in school, which would be very scary to her. How are her compulsions now? Have you noticed any change?

A round of antibiotics that caused major gastrointestinal distress sent us back to square one with potty learning, so I'm no help either.

I missed this! Good luck on the ultrasound.
    Have not noticed a huge change, but she is doing it slightly less. I asked her if she does it at school and she said no because she doesn't care if the stuff at school gets dirty as opposed to her own stuff. She also was crying on saturday asking me if when she washed her hands and killed the germs, were the germs sad to die. Yeesh, the things this girl thinks. I had to explain to her that germs have no brains, thus no feelings. She was really relieved about that.

Erin! I was wondering where you were!

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    I'll definitely be thinking about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Darnit, everyone is calling in sick today. I hope this is not going to go on all winter.
    I take it you don't charge if they're sick? Most (all, I think) my daycare providers made us pay whether our kids were there or not. I think some allowed us 1 week for vacation a year but that was it.

Erin, I'm not surprised your former boss thinks so much of you. You have a great work ethic and unfortunately that's becoming more and more rare these days.

Poor Bobbie nearly got fired already. She thought she had Saturday off (swears she checked her schedule 4 times last week) but on Sunday the manager called her and gave her grief for not being there when she was supposed to be. She even said that the only reason Bobbie wasn't fired was because too many had quit already and she couldn't afford to lose another employee. I don't know if it was Bobbie's mistake or the manager's, but Bobbie was really upset by it.

Chrissy, technically my contract states that each family gets 5 sick days per year without pay. But most of my children are state funded at the state does not pay unless they are here. They used to, but a lot of cuts have been made since our new gov came into office. So basically if one of my low income families (one of whom is single mom getting no child support because dad's in jail) has a sick child, they have to miss work. If they had to miss work and pay me that would really hurt them. The way I see it, they'd either bring their kids sick or they'd find someone else to take care of their kids. I know my current families really love appreciate me but sometimes it's all about survival during these times.
    I am really lucky right now with my families. For example, if they don't work on a scheduled day they will call me and say, "I know you don't get paid when the kids aren't there so would you like me to bring them?" Sometimes I will opt for the day off if no other children are coming, or sometimes I'll say yes to bring them on in. On the flip side, if I need time off they're always more than happy to give it to me. It's the first time since I've opened my daycare that I really feel in sync with all my families and that we are all looking out for eachother.

Fingers crossed Molly!

They wanted to fire her after one offense, Chrissy? That seems kind of harsh.

I hope Savana has a good day, Bridget. It's really nice that your day care families have that sense of community.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    It's the first time since I've opened my daycare that I really feel in sync with all my families and that we are all looking out for eachother.
    That's really great Bridget.

I know first hand how that daycare program can be both a blessing and a curse. When all 3 of my girls were in daycare, we had that for a while. We paid a portion and they picked up the rest (it depended on income, and at that time I think we got it till we made 42,000/year). I didn't know they wouldn't pay if they kids weren't there and I took the week between Christmas and New Years off to be with the kids. Big mistake. I ended up with over $350 bill-which at that time was impossible. It might as well have been $3,500. I remember I cried because I didn't know how we were going to pay it.

The following spring, I got my 3% raise and we were no longer eligible for any help at all. During the summer, my daycare bill was just $23 shy of my entire 2-week paycheck. After careful discussion I decided to stay with my job rather than quit because, after all, they'd be starting school again in September so at the end of the year I'd still be making money even though during the summer I wasn't. Come September I got my layoff notice. Man was I pissed! If I had known, I probably would have quit when school ended that June.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    They wanted to fire her after one offense, Chrissy? That seems kind of harsh.
    That's McDonalds for you. They even called her at home, on her day off to yell at her. If it were me, I'd have told them it could wait till I was on the clock and hung up. I probably would have been fired, but I don't think a manager should be calling an hourly employee to yell at them when they're not scheduled to be at work.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 11-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Poor girl. Seems like they'd give her a break, since you said she's been doing well there and picking up extra hours and stuff. I never worked fast food, is it usually like that?

When I worked in cooking I had some days where I totally forgot I was working and my managers would usually just call me and say "Hi...where are you?" LOL

The last job I worked at did fire on the first no call no show. (meaning you don't show up and you don't even call to give a lame excuse ;))

Poor girl. Seems like they'd give her a break, since you said she's been doing well there and picking up extra hours and stuff. I never worked fast food, is it usually like that?

When I worked in cooking I had some days where I totally forgot I was working and my managers would usually just call me and say "Hi...where are you?" LOL

The last job I worked at did fire on the first no call no show. (meaning you don't show up and you don't even call to give a lame excuse ;))
    You'd think someone would have called her...which makes me think that maybe the manager on Sunday made a mistake? I hope Bobbie figures it out and lets me know tonight.

I'm not 100% sure if that's how it is all over, but in our area it definitely is. The employment situation hasn't been good here since the early 90's so they can afford to be picky like that. The same with places like Walmart.

It does seem odd they didn't call her the night she was supposedly scheduled.

It does seem odd they didn't call her the night she was supposedly scheduled.
    I know! That's what I think too. When she was in training she had to meet at a grocery store parking lot across from her McDonalds as hers was still being constructed. After a week and a half of meeting a different manager in this same lot successfully, we sat there one day for 15-20 minutes waiting for her manager-of-the-day to meet her. I was actually giving her a little grief, asking if she was sure that was the correct time 'cause no one was showing up. After the 20 minute wait, however, the manager for that day called her. He was in the McDonalds parking lot (why there, who knows 'cause no one told Bobbie the meeting spot had changed). Anyway, he called her to ask if she was going to show up.

Good luck, Molly! Thinking sticky viable baby vibes for you!

Erin, it's good to see you; I wondered where you had galanvanted off to!

Chrissy, that sounds really harsh of McD's; it sounds like it was an honest mistake, so I hope the boss person apologizes for their harsh tone!

I'm still not well, but Travis is, so I am very happy about that! I hope I get a good night's sleep and feel better tomorrow. My night wasn't as bad as yours, though, Bridget. I got up once at 1am with Travis because his lovey pillow had dropped on the floor and instead of picking it up, he just lies there and moans til someone gets it for him. Then, I was up at 3am with Cash for no reason really but had to rub his back for 15 minutes before he went back to sleep. Each time, it took me a very long time to get back to sleep because my throat was so sore and that was all I could think about!

So, I hope tomorrow is a better day. I got a lot of my Christmas cards written today; I wondered if anyone would want one from us if we did an informal exchange? Not sure if y'all are up for that kind of thing but thought I'd ask.

Teaching is going well right now, but all teachers are out on strike on Wednesday along with many other civil servants due to changes to their pensions. So, the next time I'm in school is this Friday and will be teaching the kiddies about exclamation points and question marks...will have to find a creative way to make those interesting!