Page 863 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3637638138538618628638648658739139631363 ... LastLast
Results 25,861 to 25,890 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeJ View Post
    I've also had some speech peculiarity for a couple of years now. I can't find a word but can describe it (like color or location). I'll say to my daughter, "can you get the blue, you know the thing near the tall, red but not the one there (pointing) but the one there where my eyeballs are looking"! Thankfully my daughter and I share a brain! I'd be lost without her!

About a year ago I asked my daughter to stop assisting me in order to force me to find my words. It didn't last long and we were back to my silliness. Can that be fixed or did I have a stroke lol? Just curious.
    That's classic word finding difficulty. I highly doubt you had a stroke. Probably you were under stress and then it went away when the stress lessened. Word finding like you describe isn't tied to one specific area of the brain, you store words everywhere. So any kind of stress or illness can affect it.

Usually the best therapy is to work on cues, probably exactly what your daughter was doing! My mom does this a lot (so do I, actually) and when she does I give her "hints."

My mom and I were both diagnosed with hypothyroid this fall. Since low thyroid can lead to cognitive changes, I suspect that was contributing to our word-finding issues. I don't think I do this as much now I'm taking the hormone, but I haven't been tracking it.

Welcome to the NET, by the way!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-25-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Welcome to the thread Aimee

Suja... that sounds... interesting

Ugh... The supercenter was... fun! It was a mad house, people crack me up. I kept stopping in some random corner just to watch the craziness, I couldn't help myself I think I might go with a chair and some popcorn next year

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Kate, when you mentioned your dh's problem I looked up spoonerism issues, because switching the first letters or sounds of two different words is what that is, and it seems to go along pretty naturally with switching two short words. I found this interesting article in Nature about how it's now thought to be one of the most common symptoms of dyslexia, and how it's all a broader phoneme processing disorder. It doesn't mean your dh necessarily has any trouble reading, but he may have been prone to it and compensated for it.

I have trouble finding words, too, but it's directly a result of my daily migraine prevention medication. It's a well-known side effect. It was much worse when I started taking it. I went from being a champion at Scattergories to not being able to compete at all. It's not even like having the word at the tip of my tongue. It's not there. It drives dh crazy, because he hates it when I don't use the proper word for something (like "thingy") and he hates it when I pause in conversation because I can't think of the word. I don't notice it as much anymore, but there is a huge upsurge in my word-finding difficulty when I'm about to get a really big headache or when I have meningitis.

I have found since having children that I forget words and have a hard time completing a thought. Dbf tells me that I make long pauses in the middle of telling him something to the point where he has no idea if I am saying more or that's the end of what I'm saying. Sometimes I wonder if it's from years of partying a little too hard or if it's just mommy brain. Probably a combination of both but I do feel like I used to be more intelligent.

Suja, sorry you have had a rough year. I think mine has been ok but for me the first year of being a mom to an infant is pretty much a blur.

Aimee, welcome to the thread.

Oh, I almost forgot to share a little Kai funny from this morning.

After asking him to sit down in his chair about 6 times, I raised my voice. Then he sat down and he said to me, "Mommy, don't you remember I told you that I do not like it when you talk loud at me! You said you were going to try not to do it anymore!"
    So I said, "Kai I ask you nicely over and over again and you ignore me. When I talk in my loud voice, then you listen. So you tell me what should I do? You tell me what the answer to this problem is."

He said, with his back to me as he walked out of the kitchen, "The answer is NO."

Dbf and I were laughing so hard. When all else fails, in the mind of a four year old, the answer is indeed NO.

Thanks for all the help!
    Haha Bridget, that certainly is true what Kai said!
    Welcome Aimee!

I think DH does have trouble reading, although he still likes to read when it's something he's interested in. He mainly reads fantasy novels that pretty much follow the same formulaic plot but have different characters. (think lord of the rings type plots) He also stumbles and misreads things a lot when he's reading out loud, even simple things like Josh's books.

Oh, Josh had his annual doctor appt. today and he did great until I told him we had to wait for the ladies to come in to give him his shots. Every time since he was a baby he has been really good about shots but this year he just freaked out and hid, and screamed and cried when they managed to give him the shots. I felt so bad! Good thing we get to go to Boston and see Joey later, haha. It's kind of scaring me how much he's into it. It was his idea to make a sign that says "We love Joey". DH is not going to believe I had nothing to do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    It's kind of scaring me how much he's into it. It was his idea to make a sign that says "We love Joey". DH is not going to believe I had nothing to do with it!
    That is funny!!! I hope you both have a great time.

My mom's medication messes with her speech something fierce. Not only do I remember her being more intelligent about many things, but her speech has altered so much people have even asked her where she's from because they can't place her accent. I could tell it bothered her a great deal. She's always been on Lithium and 2-3 others. The others have changed through the years, but the Lithium has remained consistent throughout. I think it's that that's causing her speech issues. I did read that it also takes away a person's creativity, which is sad. She was really good in art when she was young and loved it a lot.

A lot of the most creative people have bipolar disorder...think Axl Rose, Charlie Sheen, Brittany Spears, etc. I don't blame them for not wanting to take a medication that would inhibit their creativity. I know there are new medications out, but I don't think any of them are as 'surefire' as Lithium is.

I've been having this pain just to the inside side of my right shin. At first I thought Conner might have kicked me, but there was no bruise. It feels just like a bad bruise though. Initially, it was barely a mild irritant, but it's now been over 3 weeks and it's been getting worse. I actually winced when I washed over it in the shower this morning. I might have to make an appointment with a dr...I have no idea what it could be but since it's getting worse, I'm thinking I better have it looked at. I hate crap like this 'cause I'm 99% sure I'll go, he'll look at it and basically tell me it's nothing, and the very next day the pain will probably be gone.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Thanks for all the help!
    Haha Bridget, that certainly is true what Kai said!
    Welcome Aimee!

I think DH does have trouble reading, although he still likes to read when it's something he's interested in. He mainly reads fantasy novels that pretty much follow the same formulaic plot but have different characters. (think lord of the rings type plots) He also stumbles and misreads things a lot when he's reading out loud, even simple things like Josh's books.
    I was wondering about reading, but didn't want to ask. Given all that, it does sound like difficulty with phonological processing. That's actually a different thing than dyslexia, but it depends whether you are using "dyslexia" as a specific term or a general term for difficulty reading. Sounds like he copes well, though, if he enjoys reading.

I suspect my DH does not read easily, but he enjoys reading and keeps at it. He doesn't mix words or sounds when speaking, but he will misread words when he reads aloud.

I thought it was common for people to struggle more with reading out loud than to themselves?

It is - I guess that's not what I mean. I just realize it because he mixes it up aloud. Like for example, asiago cheese - DH has been pronouncing it a-sa-gi-o cheese for years because he misread the sign in the grocery store. I told him a few times it's a-si-a-go and he doesn't believe me. Recently there was a commercial where they talked about asiago cheese and he looked at me and said, "That's not how you say that! It's a-sa-gi-o cheese." I wanted to throw something at him.

He does that with lots of words, where he really doesn't see them the way they are written. Since I'm a very good reader (and have extremely good phonological awareness) I notice it a lot.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, it doesn't make sense to me why he does that, but now I understand what you meant.

It's unseasonably warm out. I might take advantage and go for a walk today.

So we're off to Microcenter to get some laptops. At least it's not Wallyworld. On last night's news they showed 1500 people waiting in line to get in when they opened. Madness!

I've lost a huge portion of my brains, especially memory, within the last couple of years. It truly does suck.

Ooh, laptops! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    It is - I guess that's not what I mean. I just realize it because he mixes it up aloud. Like for example, asiago cheese - DH has been pronouncing it a-sa-gi-o cheese for years because he misread the sign in the grocery store. I told him a few times it's a-si-a-go and he doesn't believe me. Recently there was a commercial where they talked about asiago cheese and he looked at me and said, "That's not how you say that! It's a-sa-gi-o cheese." I wanted to throw something at him.

He does that with lots of words, where he really doesn't see them the way they are written. Since I'm a very good reader (and have extremely good phonological awareness) I notice it a lot.
    My dh does that so much that he seems like a bumpkin but he's actually pretty accomplished is science and academics. You'd just never know it unless he's on "his" subject haha! He will continue to pronounce something the same way that he first heard it or said it. The first time I mentioned my niece's name to him, I said "Kirsten" but quickly corrected myself and said "Kristen". He still says it.wrong 12 years later!
    Aimee (40), Rollie (55), Megan (15) and baby Cali (4/28/10)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Aimee, I'm glad to see you joining in here. For those who don't already know, Aimee was in my birth month with Baby S.

My MIL is driving up today to visit for the rest of the weekend. I was going to make dinner for her and my mother tonight, but she left several hours late, so now she's not going to get here until probably after the kids' bedtime. Plus Baby S. didn't nap. He is still having sleeping difficulties, and I have been desperately trying to get him sleep-trained again before we go to Mexico at Christmas. I was right next to him at the crib, patting him and singing him a lullaby, and all he was doing was saying "Mommy, lie down, cuddle me." It was so tempting to just pick him up and cuddle him in the bed, but he actually never goes to sleep when he's held, and plus I had the other kids out in the living room that I had to get back to.

I'm planning on making her Suja's Butter Chicken tomorrow night. We're all (well, except for the kids) still loving it on a regular basis.

I'm not doing a darn thing about Mira's anything anymore. I know that the next month will completely undo it all anyway, so why bother? As it is, one of my BILs has been saying that we need to 'let her go to bed at normal hours'. 8 is a pretty normal hour for a 21 month old, I think, but their kids usually go to bed right when the adults do, until they started school anyway. They don't have crappy sleepers though, so it likely makes no difference for them.

how funny, Suja. some will advise you to put them down earlier and some will insist you put them down later. moms get it from both sides. It's like when I weaned B at 29 months - for some it was too soon and for others it was "about time", said with eyeroll. it'd be hard to win... if anyone else's opinion mattered.

Aimee, hi again. I just said hi in the other thread. I'm Myles. I like your youngest's name, Cali. I was considering something like it as an homage to California if we had a girl. Is her name short for anything?

I have a napping toddler in the back and am waiting for a jump from the auto club right now. Someone (*cough*)left the headlights on and now the car won't start . I wore Bodhi in a back carry today while shopping in SF. It's been so long since I wore him, and I guess he's still not too big because he told me liked it. He's coordinated enough now to claw his way up onto my back himself, and then he eventually fell asleep. I guess he still subconsciously associates being worn with falling asleep. We used to hike like that for over an hour. He'd get his whole nap in on the move. No wonder I have a tough time putting him to sleep in his bed today.

------------

(It's hours later and I'm still in my driveway with a sleeping boy in the back, complete with brand new battery under the hood. I'd have started a new post but was editing this one anyway.) I confess I'm suddenly obsessed with camel milk. It wouldn't have crossed my mind, had I not had a call with a colleague in Dubai earlier this week, and I decided to randomly check what time it is there in the U.A.E. while I'm killing time and letting the kidzo sleep some more. A few clicks in and I found myself on the Wikipedia page for the U.A.E. where I see the primary form of dairy is from camels, and another click away: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_milk It sounds quite nutritious! I can see all the whole foodies going mad for it and it becoming some new trend. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but I suppose camels aren't any more stinky than cows, though probably a heck of a lot more dangerous to milk. I wonder if Starbucks will ever offer a Dromedary Latte?
    Last edited by demigraf; 11-25-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Gwenn - *chanting* No Aunt Flo! No Aunt Flo!
    *now rapping* No Aunt Flo, yo! No Aunt Flo!

Chrissy, I hope your leg feels better BEFORE you decide to take it to the doc.

Bridget, the Kai story was precious!

As you can see I'm still in the car killing time. Am considering just grabbing the 100 onion bulbs I have on hand and poking them into the ground just outside the car window, but my rubber boots are upstairs then downstairs again, and too far for me to go while leaving B alone in the car. And it's still muddy today. 5pm ... I should prob wake him up anyway...

No one outside of Rich & I get an opinion about what we do with our kids. They can think what they will, but I don't even entertain their ideas. Since my oldest is 18 and we've always been like that, I can't remember the last time anyone tried to suggest anything that we do with any of our kids. Thankfully, my girls have come out quite all right and everyone adores them, so they must assume we know what we're doing and they don't even raise an eyebrow about Conner staying up to 2:00 a.m. (which I let him do on weekends if he wants to.).

This whole butting into everyone else business is an Indian thing, I think My SIL back home suggested that we shave Mira's head to make her hair come back in thicker. A. Her hair is plenty thick thankyouverymuch, and B. That's nonsense, and as an educated woman, she really ought to know that it's nonsense. I don't mean it to sound like they're not nice people; they're really lovely, just different from my own, and part of that is a bit of a cultural divide. Mostly, I smile, nod and do what I want to do anyway.

Just to make sure that I had the dates right, I checked our flight reservations just now. Rat finks had made it seem like the flights were booked solid, and had put us in a middle row (of 3), when there are *plenty* of seats with windows available. So, I changed our seating to have a window (and an aisle), and to have as many empty seats around us as possible. The way in is not too crowded it looks like, so we should annoy a lot fewer people than I thought we might.

ETA: Really interesting information on Black Friday. And Decide.com is hugely addictive (and useful!).
    Last edited by Suja; 11-25-2011 at 09:19 PM.

What's decide.com? Ive never heard of it.

I know most of you don't allow your little ones to play with guns, but ive never had an issue with it. Till I overheard Conner talking about a "sexy gun" with his dad. That was Conner's description, not Rich's. Not sure how I feel about that.

Might've helped if I actually posted the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/25/bu...best.html?_r=1 (more evidence of my brain turning into mush).

Ah. I did know that "Black Friday" was more about the retailers finally reaching 'the black' rather than operating in the red.

I'm also a procrastinator and I deplore shopping with a passion that's difficult to describe...so I generally do all my Christmas shopping the week before Christmas. Too many times, the night before. I'm getting a little old for that though (lots of wrapping is involved-so that's really a long day for me). I can't imagine a worse hell than shopping on Black Friday.

Hey all, just wanted you to know we got to Boston and back to see Joey, it had its ups and downs but I'll tell you all about it tomorrow

Hey all, just wanted you to know we got to Boston and back to see Joey, it had its ups and downs but I'll tell you all about it tomorrow
    I can't wait!

I meant to ask this earlier, but who's Joey and am I supposed to know him?

Hi back to everyone! Thanks for the into Lydia! I remember you once suggested this room to me and I have been thinking about it since then haha! Myles- Cali is basically short for California although Cali is her legal name. Dh and I are both transplants to California and met here. So kind of an homage to our relationship and also our new home state!
    Aimee (40), Rollie (55), Megan (15) and baby Cali (4/28/10)

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I meant to ask this earlier, but who's Joey and am I supposed to know him?
    Joey is from New Kids on the Block. Kate is a dedicated fan, and it appears little Josh is too I love that she can share her passion with him and he's so into it.

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeJ View Post
    Hi back to everyone! Thanks for the into Lydia! I remember you once suggested this room to me and I have been thinking about it since then haha! Myles- Cali is basically short for California although Cali is her legal name. Dh and I are both transplants to California and met here. So kind of an homage to our relationship and also our new home state!
    That's so cute! I love the name Cali.

That was a great link, Suja. Thanks for posting. I browsed for a bit but didn't have anything in particular on my list to buy that I was curious about. It seems like it would be very useful, though.

Without warning, my MIL showed up when we weren't expecting her. Like I said, she'd left late enough that we didn't think she'd be here before the kids were in bed. We thought she'd go to her hotel and dh would go over to see her afterwards. I don't know how she did it, but apparently she made no stops, not even for lunch, and she drove 80 miles an hour, and arrived two hours before we thought she'd be here. Called dh from the front of our house, wondering where we were. She had not called us from the road, like she normally does, to update us on her progress. Dh and Ro were out on a hike. Claire and Baby S. and I were all taking a shower together and didn't hear the doorbell. I had already called my mom to tell her the dinner party was cancelled, and had warned the twins that they wouldn't see their grandmother until tomorrow. I was totally unprepared, and dh took a while to get home from his hike, and I had no time to make a dinner so I sent dh out quick for take-out when he got home.

Dh is also in a bad mood, so it looks like I'm in for a long weekend. I got to go grocery shopping by myself today, which pretty much never happens, and I just didn't want to go home.