Page 862 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3627628128528608618628638648729129621362 ... LastLast
Results 25,831 to 25,860 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Like the picture of the brown sugar all over the dishwasher.

I'm not cooking anything until tomorrow but we only have 3 adults so are keeping it more simple. Turkey, gravey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, biscuits. and I guess my MIL is bringing a pumpkin pie.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh no Chrissy!

Josh fell asleep again...I let him sleep for about an hour and then woke him up. He doesn't want to eat and now he's watching tv.

I'm seriously tired now. Holy crap I don't know how people do the stay-at-home thing. I know they're not making pies every day, but they're always doing 'something' Suzie-homemaker-like. I find it exhausting! I love doing it for the holidays like this, but no way do I have the patience or stamina to bake cookies, sew, run kids around to parks and museums. Whew. My hat's off to all the sahms.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm seriously tired now. Holy crap I don't know how people do the stay-at-home thing. I know they're not making pies every day, but they're always doing 'something' Suzie-homemaker-like. I find it exhausting! I love doing it for the holidays like this, but no way do I have the patience or stamina to bake cookies, sew, run kids around to parks and museums. Whew. My hat's off to all the sahms.
    You said it! I'd be even more of a raving lunatic if I did that.

See, that's why I'm a raving lunatic

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    See, that's why I'm a raving lunatic
    Right? See, and people wonder.

My dad is doing everything. Kai and I made a pumpkin pie for everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving. I am mighty thankful for all of you.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Suja, I feel for you! Baby S. was so difficult to manage with his recent cold, that he was crying throughout the night most of the nights (whether or not he got Ibuprofen, whether or not he was being held upright in my arms, etc.), was throwing up from crying and coughing, and even now that he's recovered, has developed such an aversion to sleep that we are having to take baby steps back to get him to sleep at night. At first he would just start getting hysterical whenever he saw the crib or heard us say "Night-night." Now after a dedicated cycle of trying to make the crib pleasant again, by reading nice stories and rubbing his back in it for hours and singing him songs in it daily, he doesn't scream when he's put in it, but he still cries a lot. It takes hours to get him to sleep every night, and that is hours of misery for everyone. I hope it goes more quickly and less traumatically for you and Mira, but I know it's so hard to be in the thick of it.

Bridget, as far as your question about the bug bites, there is no way of telling from where I am if Kai's bug bites are getting infected or if he's just having more of an allergic reaction to them. If after a few days, the area becomes more red and sore and pus begins to develop, it's probably an infection that took advantage of the break in the skin. If he tends to just get big welts every time he's bitten by a specific insect, it might be that his body is more allergic to the bites. Staph is pretty much everywhere and it's really common for skin infections - MRSA is what is very hard to get rid of, and people who are colonized with it tend to have it for long-term, although there are ways to get rid of it. Handwashing, good hygiene, staying away from other people with infections, and proper and prompt care of wounds seem to be the best way to avoid/prevent skin infections. Oh, and intact skin is really the body's best defense. Your skin has bacteria on it all the time. That's the reason we wash it off before we put needles into it, so we don't introduce all those microbes from your skin directly into the bloodstream.

Out of my family, DD and I don't get bothered by bug bites hardly at all, and DH and Ro get huge welts when they're bitten.

As far as the impetigo, I think you were asking about doing any non-medical treatment for it, and this is the evidence based treatment I saw:

Although the researchers found 57 trials involving more than 3,500 people with impetigo, no single form of treatment has been really thoroughly tested. The trials looked at a lot of different options, but none of them produced results that were clear enough to be able to say for sure that one treatment is better than others.

For infections that are not very extensive, the research shows that antibiotic ointments with fusidic acid or mupirocin can help. It also appears that some antibiotic tablets might be able to help relieve impetigo. They probably have more adverse effects than ointments though. Oral antibiotics are usually only used in children who have very extensive infections, because using large amounts of ointment for days is not very practical. All of these antibiotic treatments are only available on prescription by a doctor.

As a first treatment option, disinfectant lotions or ointments that do not have antibiotics are often suggested. However, the evidence suggests these might not be effective.
    I hope he gets better soon!

Chrissy, after all that, did you end up with a pie? My mom made pumpkin pies with the twins when I was at work yesterday, and I came home to the house smelling so yummy. I have such a hard time cooking with them. I do just fine when I only have one of them in there, but it's never just one. It's two of them, and they're pushing each other and yelling about who gets to stir, and then I get unhappy and it ends up being not this idyllic experience where I'm teaching them how to cook and filling them in on the arts of homemaking but rather them teaching me about gladiator-style matches, where there will only be one champion of the kitchen and that one will brandish the whisk and force all the others to leave (and that one is usually me). Ah, so much disconnect between fantasy and reality.

Mylah, those photos of the road falling apart were amazing. I had to call dh over to look at them. I'm sorry that's happening in a spot close to your heart.

Ashley, are you feeling any better?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. We're going over to my sister's this afternoon. I have to try to run out and get her a gift card, in hopes that it will ease her glowering at me for missing her birthday cruise.

Lydia I know what you mean about cooking with kids. I have to lay the ground rules down before every time we cook and even then it's a matter of fending off grabby hands and wet fingers dipping into the sugar to get a taste.

I have mupirocin from another infection that Kai had this summer. It is what the other little girl in my daycare was prescribed for hers so I've been using it on Kai and Sawyer. I know that's bad but I'm not going to drag my kids into the dr so they can tell me what I already know and give me what I already have all while exposing my kids to sick people.
    Everything seems to be clearing up.

Yes, L, I did manage to get two very good looking pies out of the fiasco in the kitchen yesterday

I know exactly what you mean about trying to cook with multiple little helpers. Bobbie and Jesi were a lot like that. The good news is that they don't remember it being harrowing at all. In fact, their memories of baking with mom are good ones. So even though it's aggravating and difficult and feels unlike an idealized bonding moment, it really ends up being one. At least it did around here. Jesi stayed with cooking/baking, but Bobbie barely knows how to boil water for Ramen noodles.

Oh-and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I hope all your days are special and homey with your loved ones.

I love pie! All kinds.

The problem with cooking with Savana is that she does not want me looking at recipes. She wants to invent them ourselves. I have to put the recipe on the counter to glance at just to make sure we are getting the proper ratios of wet/dry and the right amount of baking powder and all that. She'll see me and in horror say, "Are you READING A RECIPE???"

Oh goodness! What does she have against recipes? lol

I have no confidence in myself in the kitchen. I still glance at recipes even when I'm cooking dishes I've done for years.

Sounds like Savana's going to be a cook, not a baker ;)

After Josh's weird illness yesterday he's perfectly fine today. He says his throat hurts, but that's it. He even woke up at a normal time (6:30) despite all the napping he had.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving. I am mighty thankful for all of you.
    Me, too. I was thinking of things I am thankful for, and you guys were all high on the list. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh - and can I please get some "no AF" vibes?

I didn't track this cycle but DH came home from cooking school late in my cycle - CD 22 - so I wrote this cycle off. Then had some CM late in the cycle, after he came back, and now still no AF. If I can hold off 2-3 more days, I might test.

No af vibes to you!!!

Kate, I'm so glad Josh is feeling better. I wonder if he had what I did? I felt 'off' and had a slight sore throat on Tuesday. It kinda started for me Mon night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

I didn't track this cycle but DH came home from cooking school late in my cycle - CD 22 - so I wrote this cycle off. Then had some CM late in the cycle, after he came back, and now still no AF. If I can hold off 2-3 more days, I might test.
    No AF!!!! Happy Thanksgiving ladies! We are doing our daily tradition of DH correcting my cooking, in what he refers to as his 'helpful advice'. I call it a PIMA Gotta love him Nolan is taking a nap and we are pretty much ready (turkey is finishing and all we have to do is throw the casseroles in, in about an hour) So I took an APA break and than I'm going to do some researching for my paper.. Woohoo!I don't remember, are any of you ladies doing any Black Friday shopping?? Were going to WalMart tonight, but I think thats it-hopefully, I have to work tomorrow!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

No AF for you, Gwenn! I have very happy memories of finding out I was pregnant right after Thanksgiving.

I'm desperately trying to get Baby S. to get his nap in time to wake up for Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's house, but on his own head be it if I have to wake him up early to leave. I have given up patting him and lullabying him and am letting him take a break from the Mommy stimulation for a while. Plus, I need to make my mashed potatoes.

I am not doing any Black Friday shopping. I hate shopping in general and I hate crowds even more, so if anyone created a hell specifically for me, that would be it. I do as much shopping as I can online. I can see why other people would like it, but it's not for me.

I hate shopping too L! I especially hate crowds!! My mom needs some things though and I definitely can't let her go by herself! Plus they are having the Kindle on sale, it's only a $20 difference though-so if it's too crazy we'll just get what my mom needs and leave. I've never been Black Friday shopping before, so we'll see how it goes

I'm with L - nothing sounds less appealing than a crowded store doing Holiday Shopping. For those who enjoy it, though, more power to you.

No AF! *picture me holding picket signs here*

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    No af vibes to you!!!

Kate, I'm so glad Josh is feeling better. I wonder if he had what I did? I felt 'off' and had a slight sore throat on Tuesday. It kinda started for me Mon night too.
    Maybe! He didn't eat much of the meal today but he had some crackers and cheese, and a little bit of pie after. Now he's over at the inlaws with DH for meal #2 and football.

I hope everyone had/has a great Thanksgiving day today.

Now that it's all over I can get excited about tomorrow! I haven't shared because I know you all don't share the love for it but I'm finally getting excited--tomorrow at a Macy's in Boston Joey (my favorite New Kid) is performing some songs from his upcoming Christmas album. Macy's is having a bunch of kid-oriented things like face painting and other fun things and then around 5 Joey is performing at a big tree lighting--Josh is ridiculously excited about it because for a while now he's been bugging me to take him to see "the real Joey". I do hope he lasts--we'll go later in the day so he'll make it to the show at 5.

I hope you both have a great time!

Thanks! Hey, I meant to ask you something Mandy. DH has a speech problem where he switches words and letters a lot. Like he'll say "Put the box in the toy" when he means put the toy in the box. Or sometimes he'll switch the first letter of two different words. What is that?

I hope you have a good time

Thanks!

Mandy, hope no AF for you.

This has been a really rough year for us, so not a lot to be thankful for. My friends, including my APA buddies, I am SO thankful for.

I spent hours today making individual baggies of dog food for when the dogs are staying at he kennel. Made about 110 of them; 10 more to go. Hope y'all have had a more interesting day.

I hope you have a great time! I'm so excited that you're taking Josh!! <3

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Thanks! Hey, I meant to ask you something Mandy. DH has a speech problem where he switches words and letters a lot. Like he'll say "Put the box in the toy" when he means put the toy in the box. Or sometimes he'll switch the first letter of two different words. What is that?
    Those types of reversals are not uncommon. If they're persistent, though, it's possible he could have some missed connections in the brain. Could be word-finding difficulties, where he knows the word he is going for but can't quite retrieve it effectively. Things don't quite come out right or get a little jumbled. But I wouldn't worry over it unless he couldn't complete a sentence.

People who have had strokes have similar (but much more severe) issues with language production but I really doubt he's that severe. He could have some difficulty with connections in Broca's area in the brain.

Don't let me freak you out, though - we all have our own peculiarities and likely no one would diagnose him with anything.

Those types of reversals are not uncommon. If they're persistent, though, it's possible he could have some missed connections in the brain. Could be word-finding difficulties, where he knows the word he is going for but can't quite retrieve it effectively. Things don't quite come out right or get a little jumbled. But I wouldn't worry over it unless he couldn't complete a sentence.

People who have had strokes have similar (but much more severe) issues with language production but I really doubt he's that severe. He could have some difficulty with connections in Broca's area in the brain.

Don't let me freak you out, though - we all have our own peculiarities and likely no one would diagnose him with anything.
    I've also had some speech peculiarity for a couple of years now. I can't find a word but can describe it (like color or location). I'll say to my daughter, "can you get the blue, you know the thing near the tall, red but not the one there (pointing) but the one there where my eyeballs are looking"! Thankfully my daughter and I share a brain! I'd be lost without her!

About a year ago I asked my daughter to stop assisting me in order to force me to find my words. It didn't last long and we were back to my silliness. Can that be fixed or did I have a stroke lol? Just curious.
    Aimee (40), Rollie (55), Megan (15) and baby Cali (4/28/10)