Page 857 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3577578078478558568578588598679079571357 ... LastLast
Results 25,681 to 25,710 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #25681
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Oh and I think I may start calling people that: "You are a blue freak!" Don't know if that would be good or bad...

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  2. #25682
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,649

    Default

    Just beautiful!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  3. #25683
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    The only trouble is, I've set the bar really high. I doubt I can ever top this gift.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  4. #25684
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    The only trouble is, I've set the bar really high. I doubt I can ever top this gift.
    Yeah, me too!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  5. #25685
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,649

    Default

    Crossposted in TTC - any insight (particularly from those with hospital experience) would be appreciated.

    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/for...post1058483374
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  6. #25686
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Chrissy I hope Bobbie can get into that class soon so she can get her license and at the stupid DMV lady!!

    Happy Birthday Josh

    Katy that egg is absolutely beautiful, you are SO talented!! I would buy if I (1) had money and (2) didn't break everything I own

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  7. #25687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Chrissy I hope Bobbie can get into that class soon so she can get her license and at the stupid DMV lady!!

    Happy Birthday Josh

    Katy that egg is absolutely beautiful, you are SO talented!! I would buy if I (1) had money and (2) didn't break everything I own
    Ditto this about the egg!

    I forgot to tell you guys I had a conference with Josh's teacher a couple days ago and he's doing really well. I did find out he has had some behavior issues that are similar to the ones we have at home. She said she gives two warnings and then a time out for things like not listening, and he gets warned a lot but has only had 1 time out.


    Mandy, I don't have any knowledge about your post in TTC. I hope you get some answers.

  8. #25688
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,649

    Default

    Wow, since I started working with preschoolers 5-year-olds seem ancient to me! When I was in the schools they were the little guys but now they seem so mature! Congrats on turning 5, Josh!

    I'm glad to hear he's doing well in school.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  9. #25689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Katy, I can spend all day looking through your beautiful eggs. Do you have a catalog or something that you keep updated, that lists all the eggs in your portfolio?

    Happy Birthday, Josh! Hope it was wonderful.
    Well, I have my blog and flickr both accessible from Katyegg.com, but nothing that is sortable. I had a site for a while but upkeep was difficult. I need to figure out a good way to do it.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  10. #25690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Chrissy I hope Bobbie can get into that class soon so she can get her license and at the stupid DMV lady!!

    Happy Birthday Josh

    Katy that egg is absolutely beautiful, you are SO talented!! I would buy if I (1) had money and (2) didn't break everything I own
    Thank you!

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  11. #25691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Ditto this about the egg!

    I forgot to tell you guys I had a conference with Josh's teacher a couple days ago and he's doing really well. I did find out he has had some behavior issues that are similar to the ones we have at home. She said she gives two warnings and then a time out for things like not listening, and he gets warned a lot but has only had 1 time out.


    Mandy, I don't have any knowledge about your post in TTC. I hope you get some answers.
    Thanks, Kate!

    Happy Birthday Josh!

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  12. #25692
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Ditto this about the egg!

    I forgot to tell you guys I had a conference with Josh's teacher a couple days ago and he's doing really well. I did find out he has had some behavior issues that are similar to the ones we have at home. She said she gives two warnings and then a time out for things like not listening, and he gets warned a lot but has only had 1 time out.


    Mandy, I don't have any knowledge about your post in TTC. I hope you get some answers.
    I'm glad the conference with the teacher went well!

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  13. #25693
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Just a side note, I only have 4 more weeks of classes til I am on Christmas Break for 3 weeks!! What am I going to do with all my free time??

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  14. #25694
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Just a side note, I only have 4 more weeks of classes til I am on Christmas Break for 3 weeks!! What am I going to do with all my free time??

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  15. #25695
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,430

    Default

    Gwenn, if she has been open with you about the fact that she is undergoing radiation treatments, can you be ask her gently if the type of therapy she is receiving requires any special precautions from people around her outside of her immediate treatment? It would certainly depend on the type of therapy, and it would be hard to tell without knowing. External beam therapy would be safe, for example. ETA: If she were getting the kind that required extra precautions for those around her, I would think she would have to notify work, etc. and it would be a bigger deal. She would have to maintain a certain distance from you and the children and would have to minimize contact. Her doctors/therapists would really caution her about this. If she isn't doing this, then I would normally assume it's because she wasn't cautioned.

    Happy birthday to Josh!!!!!

    Sorry to hear Bobbie's driving test didn't work out.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 11-17-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: More stuff


  16. #25696
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,649

    Default

    Thanks, L, I will ask her about it. She has been open, and my OT friend raised the issue in front of both of us so she understands my concern. So I'll keep it a friendly discussion. Good to know that there are relatively safe forms, though.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  17. #25697

    Default

    Yay for vacation soon Christina!

  18. #25698

    Default

    My you all were witty yesterday!
    Yesterday I spoke to the principal of the school and today Savana and are going to meet her teacher, see her class, pick up the paperwork we need. I have that really nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach like I had on MY first day of kindergarten.
    I have to say that as much as I wish I could keep her with me, I am really proud of her ability to communicate her needs and her bravery in this situation. She has gone from total meltdowns when I leave the house without her...to wanting to go to school. I think that's pretty amazing.

    I just don't want my baby corrupted. There I said it.

  19. #25699
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I forgot to tell you guys I had a conference with Josh's teacher a couple days ago and he's doing really well. I did find out he has had some behavior issues that are similar to the ones we have at home. She said she gives two warnings and then a time out for things like not listening, and he gets warned a lot but has only had 1 time out.
    That's really good Kate, and even though he may need more reminders than some, he is listening. That's really good!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Just a side note, I only have 4 more weeks of classes til I am on Christmas Break for 3 weeks!! What am I going to do with all my free time??
    Talk to us!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    My you all were witty yesterday!
    Yesterday I spoke to the principal of the school and today Savana and are going to meet her teacher, see her class, pick up the paperwork we need. I have that really nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach like I had on MY first day of kindergarten.
    I have to say that as much as I wish I could keep her with me, I am really proud of her ability to communicate her needs and her bravery in this situation. She has gone from total meltdowns when I leave the house without her...to wanting to go to school. I think that's pretty amazing.

    I just don't want my baby corrupted. There I said it.
    Awww... I know exactly what you mean Bridget. I don't think she will be though, because she has you to talk to. It really makes a big difference.

    My kids learned things I wished they didn't, but we've always been good at talking. I think it's helped them be more accepting of others. It's one thing to talk about other cultures or beliefs, or hear that 'some people do things __ way,' but it's something else to see it first hand and still find that common ground where they can appreciate individuals for what they bring to the table themselves.

    We've had a rough year, but I can say unequivocally Bobbie and Jesi are both two of the most accepting-people-as-they-are teenagers I've ever met. For me, that's important.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  20. #25700
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post

    Talk to us!!


    So far on the list chat with the Secular ladies and SLEEP!!! I guess I could probably clean my house, but eh...

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  21. #25701
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,749

    Default

    Mandy, this very nicely explains all sorts of radiation related risks: http://www.hps.org/hpspublications/a...infosheet.html. If the person receiving the treatment has not been advised to stay away from pregnant women or children, chances are, there are no specific risks. However, you may want to speak to her privately to ask about the particular form of therapy she is receiving, explaining to her that you are not being nosy, just seeking information due to a very specific reason.

  22. #25702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I just don't want my baby corrupted. There I said it.

    I so remember feeling this way when Ky went to school! He was just the sweetest, nicest boy (even though he was crazy sometimes LOL). I didn't want a bunch of crap put into his head or his feelings to get hurt or for some kid to not like him for some reason. So hugs to you in regards to this.

    ___________

    Ky got invited to a sleepover tonight and since DH is out of town Elle and I will have the evening to ourselves. I was thinking of taking her to the movies to see Puss in Boots. I haven't been to the movies in around 4 or 5 years because I am too cheap to go. Elle has never been to a movie theater and I know she will get a kick out of it. I did a search for the theater closest to us (even though I am dreading the Twilight crowds as the movie theater near us is really popular in a trendy part of town that all the teeny boppers frequent) and found out that the tickets are $15 for an adult and $11 for kids. It made me go .

    I might drive down to the not trendy part of town and go for $9 for me and $7 for her near where Ky is suppose to go to the sleepover but it is rather far, around 10 miles and I don't like driving at night. I really want to take her to the movie though. I am actually considering going to Regal which is closest to us. And I won't even try to sneak her in or say she's two .

    Erin

  23. #25703

    Default

    Well. She loved it. That's the most important thing. She didn't want to leave when it was time to go, wanted to stay the whole day. The kids were all really sweet and helpful to her.

    Her teacher was absent along with the principal which really annoyed me since I spoke to the principal yesterday at which time she told me today would be great. I then called back yesterday afternoon and left a voice mail of the exact time I would arrive and for her to please call me, left my number, if this would work and if I did not hear from her I would see her when I arrived.
    The secretary was like, "Yeah, we were hoping you would call first so we could tell you." Why not call me? They asked me if I could come back Monday and one look at Savana's face told me that was not an option. I happened to ask a woman who was in the room with the sub if Miss S was ill and said no it was a planned absence. Mmmkay.
    Also took a peek in the snack cabinet and was horrified but that's to be expected. On the way home Savana and I talked about it and I said I would send a snack every day and she could choose to have the one I send or the one theygive her. I asked her to keep in mind the things I have taught her about junk food and she said she'd only choose junk food once in awhile. I trust her. Gotta let go sometimes, right?

    And just in case you thought otherwise, I'm still totally freaking out. The house is going to be really strange without Savana all day.

  24. #25704
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    And I won't even try to sneak her in or say she's two .

    Erin
    Hehehehe. I didn't even lie about Cash's age recently when we went somewhere; the girl at the counter just looked at us and said, "one child and one baby?" And I nodded since I do have one child and one baby even though my baby is 14 months old (and the sign said you had to pay for children one and up!) But I am corrupt like that.

    I know what you mean, Bridget, about not wanting the outside world to corrupt S. It is hard to let go of some of the control that we have over them. I feel that way, too, but I know that we'll always reinforce the behavior we want him to have at home, so I don't stress over it too much.

    Katy, your work is gorgeous. I'm going to have a good browse of your web site once Travis goes to bed.

    I had a good day at school today; I helped some kids rehearse their lines for the Christmas play and taught a lesson on commas. I am going to be submitting my application in to the teaching program this weekend, so if y'all have any vibes to spare, send them this side of the Atlantic if you would? !!!!!

  25. #25705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Yesterday I spoke to the principal of the school and today Savana and are going to meet her teacher, see her class, pick up the paperwork we need. I have that really nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach like I had on MY first day of kindergarten.

    I have to say that as much as I wish I could keep her with me, I am really proud of her ability to communicate her needs and her bravery in this situation.

    I just don't want my baby corrupted. There I said it.
    Aw, Bridge. Deep breath. I have faith that you've already given Savana a firm foundation (good values) to process the world when you're not around. I imagine this is something parents will always struggle with. I think there's a part of every loving parent that wants to introduce new things to their children drop-by-drop in a very controlled fashion and sort of give them the right way to deal with everything. And - at least for me and many other working moms - it's not a realistic option, so I've had to think about this a lot and learn to think positively about it. The way I see it, their little minds are going to get a lot of conflicting information, and it's their value systems - created and reinforced at home - that will determine how they synthesize (synthesise, Ash?) all the information that comes at them. You've already told us tons of stories that affirm that she's got an amazing character. I know it's hard not to worry, but try to think of this as an opportunity for her to take those integrity muscles you've given her out onto the open road where they will only get stronger from the exercise. The best case scenario is very likely for her: lasting friendships, a good work ethic, a build-up of confidence. And at the end of the day, she'll have her amazing mommy to come home to. And being away from you will probably make her appreciate you even more.

    I am loving my new work situation now (though I imagine it won't stop me from complaining about some irritation or another). The best part of it is that I get to spend more time with Bodhi. The only bummer about it is that the more time I'm with him, the less time I have to chat with you ladies. I've read every post in here, though, and wish all of you so well.

  26. #25706
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    The way I see it, their little minds are going to get a lot of conflicting information, and it's their value systems - created and reinforced at home - that will determine how they synthesize (synthesise, Ash?)
    Hey, I only ever use British spellings with y'all if I'm using my phone since it does predictive Brit-speak! For reals!

  27. #25707

    Default

    Erin. I hope you guys get to go. What a fun experience for Elle. We've taken the kids to the theater twice and that were ecstatic.

    Thank you all so much for being so encouraging. It really does help me process this whole situation. I appreciate you all so much.

  28. #25708
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    And I won't even try to sneak her in or say she's two .

    Erin


    I don't like driving in the dark either, but I'd go 10 miles. I don't consider that far at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Well. She loved it. That's the most important thing. She didn't want to leave when it was time to go, wanted to stay the whole day. The kids were all really sweet and helpful to her.

    Her teacher was absent along with the principal which really annoyed me since I spoke to the principal yesterday at which time she told me today would be great. I then called back yesterday afternoon and left a voice mail of the exact time I would arrive and for her to please call me, left my number, if this would work and if I did not hear from her I would see her when I arrived.
    The secretary was like, "Yeah, we were hoping you would call first so we could tell you." Why not call me? They asked me if I could come back Monday and one look at Savana's face told me that was not an option. I happened to ask a woman who was in the room with the sub if Miss S was ill and said no it was a planned absence. Mmmkay.
    Also took a peek in the snack cabinet and was horrified but that's to be expected. On the way home Savana and I talked about it and I said I would send a snack every day and she could choose to have the one I send or the one theygive her. I asked her to keep in mind the things I have taught her about junk food and she said she'd only choose junk food once in awhile. I trust her. Gotta let go sometimes, right?

    And just in case you thought otherwise, I'm still totally freaking out. The house is going to be really strange without Savana all day.
    Awww I'm happy for her. Very strange about the principal and teacher though. I hope that's not an indication of them being flaky on a regular basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I am going to be submitting my application in to the teaching program this weekend, so if y'all have any vibes to spare, send them this side of the Atlantic if you would? !!!!!
    I always have vibes for you! I am really excited for you!!

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I am loving my new work situation now (though I imagine it won't stop me from complaining about some irritation or another). The best part of it is that I get to spend more time with Bodhi. The only bummer about it is that the more time I'm with him, the less time I have to chat with you ladies. I've read every post in here, though, and wish all of you so well.
    I'm happy for you. It sounds like an ideal situation to me

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #25709
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Erin I hope you go to the movie with Elle, I really think she'd love it!!

    Bridget, many for you mama. I know this is such a conflicting issue for you.

    Myles I am glad you like your new position and SO happy that you get to spend more time with Bodhi, even if that means your absent more

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  30. #25710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I so remember feeling this way when Ky went to school! He was just the sweetest, nicest boy (even though he was crazy sometimes LOL). I didn't want a bunch of crap put into his head or his feelings to get hurt or for some kid to not like him for some reason. So hugs to you in regards to this.

    ___________

    Erin
    Yup. In the car on the way there she said, "Mom, if kids make fun of me for my clothes because I don't wear tinkerbell and stuff or if they laugh at me for having a boyish hat I am just going to tell them that it's ok for me to be my way and them to be their way." I assured her that most of the kids are going to be really, really nice and there is only a rare few kids who don't know how to act and we know that is usually because they have sadness in their heart and that her answer is just perfect.

    Mylah! i'm so glad your work situation is working out so well. Yay for spending more time with B!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •