Page 856 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3567568068468548558568578588669069561356 ... LastLast
Results 25,651 to 25,680 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Sucks we don't have a costco where I live. What is the thinking behind the no grain? Definitely checking out the website. Yeah we are not happy with the weight loss one. She hasn't lost weight and outputs way more and it smells worse. Cosmo does get some people food but I control the amounts...usually what we are having for dinner....it's the easiest way to get her seizure medication (liquid) down.

But I'm thinking that if Molly has already gotten an ear infection this young, it might be a problem area and maybe diet would help with that.

Ick, I don't like drooling slobbering dogs. I mean they are cute but the ick factor is too big there for me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    ...I feel like the teachers should have explained better that their assesement was based on the first 2 weeks of school and not the overall time they've been there.
    Um, yeah. That seems crazy to me!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

That seems crazy to me too Ash! I've never heard of an assessment based on the first couple weeks of school. At Ky's old school they did an academic assessment at the beginning of the year but that was when they were almost a month into the school year and it was a tool to see how much they learned as they had the same assessment at the end of the year. It is strange they would do a behavioral assessment on kids that young who have never been to school.

About your DBF Bridget:
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    And maybe she wouldn't tattle on him like he was another child if he stopped acting like another child.
    I thought the same thing!

It bothers me that he could not respond to her in a more adult fashion. I am like Jennifer as I do not like backtalk. Not meaning that the kids cannot disagree with me or prove a point, but if I ask them to do a chore and they say "I'm not doing it" and get all tudey or something then that is not acceptable for me. But I feel the difference is that I am very respectable to my kids and I expect them to be the same for me. I also do not approve of name calling. My DH likes to call names as well but he is getting much better. He used to always call Ky a "crybaby" which would make Ky cry more and then DH would go on about it. We got into a huge argument about that and he stopped calling Ky a crybaby after that. I can't remember the last time he called Ky a name directly. Now he just says things like "don't act like you're stupid" when it comes to homework. Because to DH he is not calling him stupid he is warning him not to act stupid . We got into an argument about that as "stupid" is a bad word in our house so he stopped saying that. He is very childish with this sort of thing as anytime I ask him to not use a particular word in this fashion, he will stop with that specific word and say a different word like "don't act like an idiot/ignoramus/dummy" and so on and so on. I don't let DH help Ky with his homework due to this. He has gotten better over the years but it is very exasperating. It has gotten to the point where I have had to tell Ky to treat his dad like a kid in this respect and not take what he says personally because when anyone talks negatively about you for no reason, they are the one with the issue, not him. Also that he will have to deal with a$$holes all his life and he is getting good practice with his dad when Dad acts like that.

DH left last night to go to his brother's wedding. It was so nice having a quiet evening to myself. He won't be back until Sunday and I am going to thoroughly enjoy my quiet time. He was really getting on my nerves lately so I'm happy I'll have an opportunity to miss him for a few days.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    ...I am going to thoroughly enjoy my quiet time. He was really getting on my nerves lately so I'm happy I'll have an opportunity to miss him for a few days.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    So, overall, I'm happy with what got said and it feels like overall, everything is positive, but I feel like the teachers should have explained better that their assesement was based on the first 2 weeks of school and not the overall time they've been there.
    No kidding! They got you all worked up over nothing. Glad the meeting was productive, and the teacher recognized that he's a little introverted and not actually behind, academically.

Jennifer, the thinking behind the no grain formulas is that while dogs are not obligate carnivores (unlike cats), they are still closely related to wolves, and structurally, best suited for eating meat, not grains. Meat proteins have better bioavailability, and dogs can do well on a mostly meat based diet (as far as I know, the only dogs that have been shown to have actual need for carbs in their diet are mushing dogs, the kind that do the Iditarod). Many people choose to feed a raw (uncooked, meat only) diet for this specific reason, and if it is done well, it is the best diet a dog can have.

I didn't realize that Cosmo is prone to seizures. Be VERY careful with food switches. There are food ingredients (like rosemary, which is a natural preservative found in a lot of dog foods) that can lower seizure threshold, and trigger a seizure. But I do believe they would benefit from a switch to a good quality food without the most common allergens (in Molly's case, especially).

Ash that is crazy that they did it on the first two weeks. A lot of people aren't themselves right away!

Ah so I found a local petstore that sells some of those other brands. Other than petco/petsmart. I really didn't want to start something that needed to be ordered online. Plus I want to feel the food through the bag, I know Cosmo definitely prefers small bites. She has had two seizures that we know of. One was xmas eve when she maybe 5 yrs old and another one more than a year later. After that one, which was at least 8 minutes long and she lost her bowels on DH, they were concerned and started phenobarbital. It was the length of the seizure that bothered them. She was a bottomless pit on it and it's hard to give pills so we started on potassium bromide liquid....and she only fell for me squirting it directly in her mouth once. No seizures since and it's been a year and a half now. Only problem is that she went from being a slim 22 lbs to a very solid 28 lbs....and ideally should be like 24ish.

I didn't know that about rosemary...not something I cook with so never looked it up. I do avoid liver with her though....the one time she has had diarrhea (and bloody at that) in 8 years is when she had some liver treats.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy did I miss how Bobbie did on her driving test???

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Chrissy did I miss how Bobbie did on her driving test???
    Ugh...she didn't even get to take it because her drivers ed certificate expired in August.

That sucks! Does she have to get a new one and do anything special to be able to take it?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Ugh...she didn't even get to take it because her drivers ed certificate expired in August.
    Oh no!!! That stinks! What happens now??

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Poor kid! Hopefully, she doesn't have to do a lot of hoop jumping to get to her driver's test.

Jennifer, usually, small independent dog supply stores are the ones that carry the better brands. I believe that Petco carries Wellness and Solid Gold, and Blue at PetsMart is also good.

I'm sorry I only have a little bit of time to chime in right now, but I just wanted to say there is a really grungy, matted doggie (seems well-loved, just not groomed) in my neighborhood that I think is a Leonburger. And all this time I thought he was a Newfie. Even with his dreadlocked coat, he seems a very stately doggie. Good boy.

Bridget, I don't have anything to add to what the girls already said on the "smart a ss" situation, but you have my empathy and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    That sucks! Does she have to get a new one and do anything special to be able to take it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Oh no!!! That stinks! What happens now??
    She can do a 5 hour course, which we just found out a driver's school offers 2x a week so she's going to call tomorrow and schedule the first one that's available...that also doesn't conflict with her work schedule. As soon as she completes that, she can reschedule the road test. The last time, I think she had to wait 3-4 weeks, so I'm not sure how soon she'll actually be able to get her road test

The really aggravating part is she showed her driver's ed certificate to the DMV lady when she scheduled her first road test. You'd think she would have caught the date and told her then.

Oh, and I just wanted to say that today was a much better day attitude-wise that I've had in a long time. I think just venting about myself and my crabby attitude helped me.

I have to brag-I bought one of Katy's eggs!! I can only say that pictures simply do not do them justice at all. I can't recall the last time I held something in my hand and felt a tingle go through my body, but that's when happened when I unwrapped that delicate little treasure.

If at all possible, I strongly encourage everyone to buy one from her. You won't be disappointed!

Aww Chrissy! it makes me happy to hear that you like it so much! They are so satisfying to hold- the shape is so perfect.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Ash, I replied in your other thread but I'm a little shocked by that teacher. She's got a lot to learn about preschool.

Jennifer, we got Nero at 8 weeks and Gwennie at about 3 months (I'm not sure she was as young as they said she was). Puppies are a lot of work but I do enjoy them. But I very much prefer big dogs personality wise. Also the fact that they are a very effective form of home safety. We've had neighbors robbed in broad daylight but no one has come near our house with our dogs inside. We will always have a big dog for that reason.

We feed Blue Buffalo - I think we get it at PetCo? I can never keep PetCo and Petsmart straight. Different stores around town seem to carry different brands and flavors, depending on management I think so I'm sure it varies even more across the country. We used to do Science Diet but I got annoyed with them so switched to Blue and haven't regretted it.

Chrissy, I'm glad you are feeling better attitude-wise. It's such a shame about the driving test.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I have to brag-I bought one of Katy's eggs!! I can only say that pictures simply do not do them justice at all. I can't recall the last time I held something in my hand and felt a tingle go through my body, but that's when happened when I unwrapped that delicate little treasure.

If at all possible, I strongly encourage everyone to buy one from her. You won't be disappointed!
    Yay! I agree, when I saw the one I bought for my mom the pictures did not do it justice.

Can we see pics of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Aww Chrissy! it makes me happy to hear that you like it so much! They are so satisfying to hold- the shape is so perfect.
    I have to admit I'm terrified of it. It feels so delicate. I don't know how you work with them without crushing them. The patience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Yay! I agree, when I saw the one I bought for my mom the pictures did not do it justice.

Can we see pics of yours?
    Yes, but you'll probably have to wait. I opened it because I was giddy, but after carefully wrapping it back up I don't plan on getting it out again until it's time to wrap it. I also bought mine for my mom...she likes to have pretty things to 'set out' and it's her favorite color-a deep blue. She's going to absolutely love it! Her birthday is 12/2.

[QUOTE=missychrissy;1058483254 I can't recall the last time I held something in my hand and felt a tingle go through my body, but that's when happened when I unwrapped that delicate little treasure.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh, and sorry to ruin the mood but this has "dirty joke" written all over it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I have to admit I'm terrified of it. It feels so delicate. I don't know how you work with them without crushing them. The patience!!

Yes, but you'll probably have to wait. I opened it because I was giddy, but after carefully wrapping it back up I don't plan on getting it out again until it's time to wrap it. I also bought mine for my mom...she likes to have pretty things to 'set out' and it's her favorite color-a deep blue. She's going to absolutely love it! Her birthday is 12/2.
    Makes sense. I didn't share my pics until I'd already given it as a present, either. But I definitely peeked, too.

If you give permission, I can post the blog entry that has all the photos of your egg.

bwahahahaha!

If you give permission, I can post the blog entry that has all the photos of your egg.
    Yes!!

Hi all, I know I missed a lot. Today is Josh's birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Happy Birthday, Josh!

HOW did I miss this? Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!

This is the one Chrissy got - the blue is outstanding!

http://katyegg.blogspot.com/2011/08/...s-on-blue.html

This is the one Chrissy got - the blue is outstanding!

http://katyegg.blogspot.com/2011/08/...s-on-blue.html
    It really is. As soon as I saw, I knew it was the one. My mom is a blue freak. As in, she loves the color, not that she is the color.

I'm really very excited to give this to her. I don't know if I can wait till her birthday.

It really is. As soon as I saw, I knew it was the one. My mom is a blue freak. As in, she loves the color, not that she is the color.

I'm really very excited to give this to her. I don't know if I can wait till her birthday.

Oh and I think I may start calling people that: "You are a blue freak!" Don't know if that would be good or bad...

Katy, I can spend all day looking through your beautiful eggs. Do you have a catalog or something that you keep updated, that lists all the eggs in your portfolio?

Happy Birthday, Josh! Hope it was wonderful.