Page 846 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3467467968368448458468478488568969461346 ... LastLast
Results 25,351 to 25,380 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #25351
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I love your babes-and you're cute as a button too by the way.

    Does her vest help her? I was thinking about that the other night and meant to ask you.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  2. #25352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    But in reality, I've heard monkeys have bad personalities, too.
    Yes, not a monkey, but what about the chimp that ripped the woman's face off

    Oh yes, I do remember my friend telling me that her Bouvier's could clear a room.

    Before bed, G and I were watching Sesame Street videos on youtube. Today Sesame Street is celebrating 42 years. I was showing G some of the good classic clips from the 70's and 80's

    And what else did I find on youtube?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4k1...eature=related

    this is the kooky pet psychic lady. They don't show that part. I remember she was driving in her van, that could be featured on an episode of hoarders, talking on the phone to the psychic, monkey on her shoulder
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

  3. #25353
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    . Although I like labradoodles, love the no shedding aspect, a lot.
    Many labradoodles do shed, same with goldendoodles....or anything poodle mixed. Some don't of course, but some do. Cosmo is a cocker spaniel poodle mix and sheds. My previous two cockapoos did not shed, they ended up a more poodle coat. Cosmo has a poodle shaped body but definitely more of a spaniel coat.

    A big no shed do might be a poodle full on, a Portuguese water dog (like Bo, the presidents dog) or Irish water spaniel. I know that those were ones I was interested in the past in before i knew DH didn't care for bigger dogs as much.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  4. #25354
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Chrissy, thanks and thanks. I feel like I look awful right now. I'm tired and run-down looking, and it shows. That picture was taken right before DH left for overseas - I was stressed then, too, but happy to see him.

    Her vest does help. We use it for thunderstorms and we haven't had any for a couple of months, but it did seem to help. One time there was a huge crash of thunder out of the blue and she dove under DH's desk. She could see me through the doorway go pick up her vest and she came out from under the desk and wagged her tail at me, ready to have it put on. So she must feel it helps.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 11-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  5. #25355
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    Bridget, was your dbf the same way about being alone with S & K when they were babies? Just curious. A friend of mine has 3 kids, and her dh flat out refused to change a diaper, or be left alone with the baby. It wasn't until they were potty trained, and talking, that he would be left home alone with them. I was always a little shocked by that.
    Dude that is insane. Dh has never been alone with a baby and has barely held one before. i know he held my cousin once like 7 years ago. And he fully plans on being home alone with our baby when I'm at work. He's a 3rd shifter and I'm a first shifter so we can avoid paying for daycare.

    I will stay home for 6-8 weeks probably and help get DH used to a baby and learn how to change diapers. I will probably end up making bottles and leaving them in the frig for him though.

    and I did agree a long time ago that I would change most diapers if we were both home.....he's only stuck with it if I'm in the shower or not at home. But he takes care of Cosmo's litter box and picks up after her most of the time. Probably 3/4 of the time.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  6. #25356
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Chrissy, thanks and thanks. I feel like I look awful right now. I'm tired and run-down looking, and it shows. That picture was taken right before DH left for overseas - I was stressed then, too, but happy to see him.

    Her vest does help. We use it for thunderstorms and we haven't had any for a couple of months, but it did seem to help. One time there was a huge crash of thunder out of the blue and she dove under DH's desk. She could see me through the doorway go pick up her vest and she came out from under the desk and wagged her tail at me, ready to have it put on. So she must feel it helps.
    Awwww...bless her little heart!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  7. #25357
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    That is so cute that Gwennie thinks that the vest helps. Such cute babies!


    So I talked to Dh and he's not into the mini goldendoodle idea or the price. he's not totally sure he wants two dogs...he does and doesn't. So I guess that right now he's kind of waiting to see if anything comes up at work on the classifieds (we ALMOST got one in August... pups were half border collie, 1/4 brittney and 1/4 blue heeler and adorable and free....but his grandma was dying and we were going back and forth to Milwaukee too much).
    Or eventually we might just go back to where we got Cosmo. It's only a 3 hr drive and we are so incredibly happy with her. I have had 3 cockapoos in my life....all were VERY different looks wise but all were smart, good family dogs.

    I do love the idea of a shelter dog but really want a brand new puppy with no baggage. And for some reason our shelters up here have mostly big dogs, little dogs with a lot of issues, or pit or boxer mixes. Just the wrong kinds of dogs for us.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  8. #25358
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    Oh we got the laptop back tonight. I missed it! It's a 17 inch with the full keyboard....the backup one is smaller and numbers are a pain to type.

    I don't know what they did but this thing is so quiet now! And running way faster. Dang, I should take this in like once a year to get cleaned up! Well worth $60.

    And best of all is that Dh doesn't have to cry that he lost his lego house (the replica of our house he's spent soooo many hours building and will order at some point).

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  9. #25359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Chrissy, thanks and thanks. I feel like I look awful right now. I'm tired and run-down looking, and it shows. That picture was taken right before DH left for overseas - I was stressed then, too, but happy to see him.

    Her vest does help. We use it for thunderstorms and we haven't had any for a couple of months, but it did seem to help. One time there was a huge crash of thunder out of the blue and she dove under DH's desk. She could see me through the doorway go pick up her vest and she came out from under the desk and wagged her tail at me, ready to have it put on. So she must feel it helps.
    Both you and Jennifer are going to be awesome mommies, you know? You are already awesome furbaby mommies.


    Abbey has a pretend puppy, he fits in her palm and he's named Clifford. He has a little problem biting so he has to sit in time out sometimes, and he always running away or hiding, and we have to spend all kinds of time looking for him. Just today we had to spend a good 15 minutes looking for him before we could leave for a playdate (I finally found him in a kitchen drawer).

    If this keeps up I might have to send him to a pretend farm in the country.
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 11-10-2011 at 06:49 PM.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  10. #25360
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Yay!

    That's a really good price for virus clean up. I think the going rate is about $125 here if it involved databack up and restore (which they obviously did).

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  11. #25361
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    This discussion reminds me of a smiley I saw awhile back:


    Abbey has a pretend puppy, he fits in her palm and he's named Clifford. He has a little problem biting so he has to sit in time out sometimes, and he always running away or hiding, and we have to spend all kinds of time looking for him. Just today we had to spend a good 15 minutes looking for him before we could leave for a playdate (I finally found him in a kitchen drawer).

    If this keeps up I might have to send him to a pretend farm in the country.


    and omg that reminds me of Conner's "Best friend Al" He's an allosaurus! He's huge and causes all kinds of mischief. The other night Rich had to get back out of the car and open the door to let him in 'cause we nearly forgot him. Silly dinosaur should have climbed in when the doors were open!

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  12. #25362
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    LOL! I love the imaginary pet friends.

    I forgot to mention, I had a bad moment this morning. Some random guy rang my doorbell this morning at 7:30, which is crazy to me to drop in on people's houses before work hours (well, at all, but particularly then). I didn't answer because I was getting dressed for work but assumed he was looking for yard work. Then as I was about to leave, Gwennie started barking and looking out the back window and I saw a guy with a fuzzy winter hat on walk down my alley. I was convinced it was the same guy and he was casing out my house to break in as soon as I left for work. I didn't want to leave, but called my parents and asked them to come over and make sure my house wasn't being broken into. They said they'd rush over, and then I went outside and saw the same guy pull up in a city Water truck and go check the meter on the house across the street. Yes, it was the meter reader in a warm cap because it was cold outside. And there was a landscaping/yard work flyer stuck in my front screen door. So no burglars at all. I called my parents back and explained I was crazy. But it really freaked me out.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  13. #25363
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Eek Mandy-I've had moments like that. I tell myself it's better to be safe than sorry. The one time you say "oh, it's nothing" and ignore it, it'll really be something. I'm glad it was nothing though.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  14. #25364
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    So I talked to Dh and he's not into the mini goldendoodle idea or the price. he's not totally sure he wants two dogs...he does and doesn't. So I guess that right now he's kind of waiting to see if anything comes up at work on the classifieds (we ALMOST got one in August... pups were half border collie, 1/4 brittney and 1/4 blue heeler and adorable and free....but his grandma was dying and we were going back and forth to Milwaukee too much).
    It's probably a good thing you didn't end up with that pup. ALL those breeds are high octane. Would've needed a J-O-B to have stayed sane (and kept you from going insane).

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I do love the idea of a shelter dog but really want a brand new puppy with no baggage. And for some reason our shelters up here have mostly big dogs, little dogs with a lot of issues, or pit or boxer mixes. Just the wrong kinds of dogs for us.
    Have you looked on Petfinder (petfinder.com)? It will list dogs in the nearest shelters/rescues (you can narrow down by your zipcode, size, gender, breed, etc.). I'm a VERY good enabler; if I knew where to look, I bet I can find a pup that would be a good fit.

  15. #25365
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    And here is my Gwennie with her anti-anxiety compression vest. Yes, I have a dog with a psych disorder.
    Beautiful dogs, Gwenn. I'm glad the Thundershirt helps Gwennie. Have you read Animals in Translation? Temple Grandin describes how a 'pressure box' works for both her (she is a high functioning autistic) as well as farm animals, so I can totally see it helping.

    And you're not the only one who has a dog with "issues". Pan has separation anxiety; it's part of the reason she lost her first home. And I have a friend with a BC who's on meds to help with his fear aggression.

  16. #25366
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Gwen your dogs are so cute! As are you

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  17. #25367
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Beautiful dogs, Gwenn. I'm glad the Thundershirt helps Gwennie. Have you read Animals in Translation? Temple Grandin describes how a 'pressure box' works for both her (she is a high functioning autistic) as well as farm animals, so I can totally see it helping.

    And you're not the only one who has a dog with "issues". Pan has separation anxiety; it's part of the reason she lost her first home. And I have a friend with a BC who's on meds to help with his fear aggression.
    Thanks. And you're welcome to call me Mandy if you like - as you see, Gwennie is my dog! ;)

    I haven't read Animals in Translation, but I do have an autographed copy! I actually specialize in Autism and Temple Grandin gave a reading at my local Barnes and Noble last year. She was talking about her animal book, but I was curious to see her. I got to chat briefly with her while she signed my book, and I let her know how much my dogs have taught me about how to interact with my students (which is true). We use compression vests and weighted vests with our kids when prescribed by the OT, and I've seen them working. DH saw an ad for the Thundershirt and as soon as he told me about it, I totally "got" why it was a good idea and kicked myself for not thinking of it sooner.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  18. #25368
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Gwen your dogs are so cute! As are you
    Aww, thanks!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  19. #25369

    Default

    Jennifer, I am cracking up that you named the cooler Ezekial. Smooth move. By your methods I need to name something in our house Maximillian and something else Huckleberry. Although somehow dbf has it in his head that Sawyer was a compromise for Huckleberry.

    All your dog pictures are making me miss our Koa. He was such a sweet boy.

    Savana's dance class went great tonight. She was reunited with some kids she was with before. After class her teacher told me she could see Savana was much more as ease. I thanked her for being attentive enough to see that Savana needed a change.

    Now that I have accepted the fact that Savana has some phychological issues that need addressing (I watched her lick her shoulder once or twice during dance. Better that than her hands but still...) it's been a struggle for me to differentiate between what is normal 6 year old behavior and what is the ocd. I feel like I'm being such a hard ass sometimes about certain things.

  20. #25370
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Thanks. And you're welcome to call me Mandy if you like - as you see, Gwennie is my dog! ;)

    I haven't read Animals in Translation, but I do have an autographed copy! I actually specialize in Autism and Temple Grandin gave a reading at my local Barnes and Noble last year. She was talking about her animal book, but I was curious to see her. I got to chat briefly with her while she signed my book, and I let her know how much my dogs have taught me about how to interact with my students (which is true). We use compression vests and weighted vests with our kids when prescribed by the OT, and I've seen them working. DH saw an ad for the Thundershirt and as soon as he told me about it, I totally "got" why it was a good idea and kicked myself for not thinking of it sooner.
    Total brain fart, Mandy. It would've been a little weird for someone to give their dog their own name.

    Cool that you've met Grandin. I have a great deal of respect for her and what she has accomplished. It is a very interesting read (although, she is not accurate with her dog talk), and I bet you would find it a worthwhile read.

  21. #25371
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Now that I have accepted the fact that Savana has some phychological issues that need addressing (I watched her lick her shoulder once or twice during dance. Better that than her hands but still...) it's been a struggle for me to differentiate between what is normal 6 year old behavior and what is the ocd. I feel like I'm being such a hard ass sometimes about certain things.
    I hear that a lot from the parents I work with - they have to figure out what is "autism" and what is their child. You'll get there with the ocd. And you know, Savana is Savana regardless.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  22. #25372
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Yay!

    That's a really good price for virus clean up. I think the going rate is about $125 here if it involved databack up and restore (which they obviously did).
    You think that they did a databackup? I don't know for sure, I just know that it works a whole lot better than it did. And I'm VERY happy! No more virus, no more malware, no more infection for my puter!

    And it feels so cool and not so hot! I will totally use those guys again in the future. and yeah we were pretty happy about the price. They had said it would probably be 50-75 before they even looked at it and it came back at 60 so pretty good.
    And to think I thought the puter might have been a goner.

    Funny how I'm on one all day long but really don't have a ton of knowledge on how they work. I know how to do work on one but not the behind the scenes of how that happens.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  23. #25373
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Total brain fart, Mandy. It would've been a little weird for someone to give their dog their own name.

    Cool that you've met Grandin. I have a great deal of respect for her and what she has accomplished. It is a very interesting read (although, she is not accurate with her dog talk), and I bet you would find it a worthwhile read.
    No problem!

    I feel very much the same about her. She's fascinating, although I do think she sees her own experience of autism and generalizes that a little more than she should. People with autism are all very different from one another - although one of the commonalities is that they have a tendency to believe everyone else experiences the world the way they do, so it's pretty classic autism of her to do that. If that made any sense. I do find her to be a little inaccurate because of that so not surprised she's the same way in the area of dogs. Very, very interesting to watch her in person.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  24. #25374

    Default

    Last edited by demigraf; 11-10-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Re-thunk.

  25. #25375
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    It's probably a good thing you didn't end up with that pup. ALL those breeds are high octane. Would've needed a J-O-B to have stayed sane (and kept you from going insane).



    Have you looked on Petfinder (petfinder.com)? It will list dogs in the nearest shelters/rescues (you can narrow down by your zipcode, size, gender, breed, etc.). I'm a VERY good enabler; if I knew where to look, I bet I can find a pup that would be a good fit.
    I know that in my head but oh man do I have a love for border collies. But keep trying to remind ourselves that we are couch potatoes. I really need to stick with what I know and already love.
    and that is poodle. My very first dog was a mini poodle, the next three in my life were cockapoos.

    Our local shelters use petfinder. But just because of our location, so many big dogs like labs. Lots of farms and hunters and just lots of big dogs. Or mixed with boxer/pit/rot....just not something we care for. I do look sometimes but never have seen anything I'm interested. Or it's got baggage like it needs a fence...which we do not have and probably will not have for quite some time.

    My parents have a shih tzu/bichon mix right now and he's very adorable but have said that the next time they are going back to cockapoos. He's cute and sweet but not the brightest and was NOT easy at all to housebreak and train.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  26. #25376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Now that I have accepted the fact that Savana has some phychological issues that need addressing (I watched her lick her shoulder once or twice during dance. Better that than her hands but still...) it's been a struggle for me to differentiate between what is normal 6 year old behavior and what is the ocd. I feel like I'm being such a hard ass sometimes about certain things.
    I had a great conversation today with a good friend about anxiety and anxiety disorders. We were talking about how really the only recourse a parent has is to be firm and model strength, and how totally counterintuitive that feels. I'm synopsizing quite a bit, but what I'm trying to say is that as a believer in gentle parenting, my heart hurts for you when I think of you having to tell Savana to listen to her Dad when he's being unfair, in an effort to keep her environment peaceful and anxiety -free (my instinct would be to swoop her up and scold your dbf too). Even telling her to stop doing the compulsions that give her anxiety relief would feel like punishment to me. It's no small task dealing with that as a parent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    And you know, Savana is Savana regardless.
    100% this.

    And even though this sounds too optimistic, the difference between OCD and a diagnosis like Autism is that people can learn to overcome their OCD symptoms, essentially being cured. She'll get there.



    lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

  27. #25377
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    And even though this sounds too optimistic, the difference between OCD and a diagnosis like Autism is that people can learn to overcome their OCD symptoms, essentially being cured. She'll get there.
    Certainly - it wasn't my intention to make a comparison between the two in that way (and I know you didn't think I was).
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  28. #25378
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,479

    Default

    I think that we have that book in the library and I tried to read it but just couldn't. Normally I don't really like non-fiction but I do like animals and thought I would like that. But it was just too maybe dry is the word? I just had a hard time following along.

    Bridget you could totally find something cool to name Huckleberry! would be a cute pet name in the future too.
    I did tell DH at one point that if we had four sons, the fourth could be named Zeke. Knowing we have IF to deal with I felt safe in that. Plus I know that if we had twins, DH would get the V. Or if we had one and the another, he would get it. The only way we would end up with three kids would be triplets (possible when we were trying clomid and I had three huge follicles but ended up with nothing anyway)....or if we had one and the second was twins. It's been pretty clear we would have one child for sure, maybe end up with two but we would not try for three. So yeah the fourth son can be named Ezekiel.

    Ashley, I had to tell DH about the Cosmo dream and he thought it was really cool that she showed up in a dream half-way across the world.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  29. #25379
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I think that we have that book in the library and I tried to read it but just couldn't. Normally I don't really like non-fiction but I do like animals and thought I would like that. But it was just too maybe dry is the word? I just had a hard time following along.

    Bridget you could totally find something cool to name Huckleberry! would be a cute pet name in the future too.
    I did tell DH at one point that if we had four sons, the fourth could be named Zeke. Knowing we have IF to deal with I felt safe in that. Plus I know that if we had twins, DH would get the V. Or if we had one and the another, he would get it. The only way we would end up with three kids would be triplets (possible when we were trying clomid and I had three huge follicles but ended up with nothing anyway)....or if we had one and the second was twins. It's been pretty clear we would have one child for sure, maybe end up with two but we would not try for three. So yeah the fourth son can be named Ezekiel.

    Ashley, I had to tell DH about the Cosmo dream and he thought it was really cool that she showed up in a dream half-way across the world.
    Yeah ... it's the autistic writing. I read another of her books so I know what you mean.

    I'll have to try the same strategy. DH wants to name a baby Genghis. He has a couple other choice suggestions, but that's really the cream of the crop.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  30. #25380

    Default

    You all are outpacing me! I can't keep up! The party on Sunday went well with no rain (sadly - we really need it). Now I am getting ready for my studio tour this weekend and next - it's a really cool event where artists in my area of town open their studios for people to tour and look at/buy their work. I got picked by one of the art critics in the alt weekly paper, which is great! There are over 150 studios and I was one of 10 chosen as a place to go! I'm not prepared...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    It's probably a good thing you didn't end up with that pup. ALL those breeds are high octane. Would've needed a J-O-B to have stayed sane (and kept you from going insane).
    I have lived with both a Brittney Spaniel and a Border collie and they were both nuts. Only because they were not given what they needed, which was a job to do and space to run. The border collie barked CONSTANTLY and the spaniel kept jumping over a 7 foot fence. NOT dogs for people who don't like to run at full speed for an hour twice a day unless you have a giant yard with sheep or something. I felt really bad for both of those dogs even as I found them annoying.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •