Page 825 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3257257758158238248258268278358759251325 ... LastLast
Results 24,721 to 24,750 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

That does sound intimidating. Could you do a small real cake and then cupcakes for the guests?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That is my plan. I have two small Pyrex storage containers about six inches across so will use those to make jojo's cake for blowing out candles and then have cupcakes for everyone else. I just settled it in my head ten minutes ago! Great minds think alike at the exact same time!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Love it!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Bridget, when was your birthday? Do we share a birthday??

I miss a lot in here too. You guys are so chatty!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Ack! How adorable is Abbey???
    Karen, my birthday was oct 30. So is Chrissy's! You?
    Jojo's birthday sounds intense!! I am glad we don't do bday parties for the kids. I don't think I could take the pressure!
    And...speaking of birthdays. My sweet Savana is 6 today.

Happy birthday Savana!

16 more days until Josh's birthday! We are having a kids party, but it's at Chuck E Cheese so I don't really have to do anything as far as setup.

Yesterday the daycare kids were all, "Ooooh! We will come to Savana's birthday party! When is it?"
    I love y'all with all my heart but you cannot come over on the weekend. I didn't say that of course and we always work together to bake a cake for each child's birthday so we do have a party of sorts with all our little friends.

LOL@Bridget's birthday comment. That's the kinda thing I would've thought, too! Last year, Travis' party ended up being a big bash and we spent way too much money on a 3 year old's birthday party! We'll keep them more low-key going forward. The trend here is that once they start school, a lot of people invite the whole class over for a big party, but I don't think we'll do that!

Molly, your hubby and daughter are sooo cute!

We had a good time handing out candy last night; the kids stayed up late and were full of excitement!

As for socializing, my husband and I are both really quiet people and we don't have loads of friends, but we do have our close friends that we get together with every now and then. We do share most friends, but we each do have friends that are our "own" friends...his being his "band and football" mates and mine are my colleague/teacher/American friends.

Once we finally got there, Conner & I had a good time at the Trunk or Treat they hosted at the high school. The village didn't ban tot'ing, but they strongly recommended all the kids go there because of the flood debris still on many sidewalks. Plus a lot of houses are still inhabitable.

I gotta say, I really liked it. The lot was nearly full and each car had it's trunk open. Many were blasting Halloween music and/or were decorated for the occasion. Lots of fun!

Conner filled his little pumpkin basket (those dollar store ones) and 1/3 of the cars were out of candy by the time we got there. It only took 45 minutes or so and we were done. I loved it!

Here's a news story about it:
    http://binghamton.ynn.com/content/to...ting-in-owego/
    Last edited by missychrissy; 11-01-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We have never had trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood before in the past 7 years that I've lived there, but last night we got quite a few. I was surprised. I think maybe our National Night Out party in September made people feel more comfortable coming out. There was one woman who came to the door and said she was up there "for my kids" and was being very vocal about telling her kids to catch up and hurry up now, so I lingered at the door to see their costumes. I saw her go to a few more houses, being very loud the whole time to her kids about how they had to hurry up. The kids never appeared. I'm pretty sure she was just a poor woman with a sugar craving, making a show of having kids so that people would give her candy. The twins were very excited about this whole TOT concept, since they've never done it at people's houses and they loved having people come to our door, but most of the people that came rang the bell after they were in bed.

Mylah, they only had slight fevers for the day of the Halloween parade, and nothing since, so they were probably just fighting off something that day. It was good seeing you and sorry it was such an impossible venue to talk. Thanks for posting the pictures. I'll send you the one I took of you. It was cute and not blurry. We'll have to have a playdate in a scenic spot just so I can take some pictures of you and Bodhi together.

Bridget, everyone at school always asks about coming to birthday parties, and I feel the same way. DD is already planning her party. She is making lists of who to invite and what food to have. I keep telling her it's not until next July, and she's not allowed to plan it out loud until June. DS invited four random people on his walk last weekend to come to our house for dinner.

Happy birthday to our birthday girls!

My dh is not social at all. He doesn't return phone calls from the friends he has, let alone attempt to make new friends. The only time he can maintain any kind of social contact is when he's forced to, like at work or school. He actually has some good friends at work, and he does stuff with them, but they have to make all the effort. I do all of our social schedule, but we hardly socialize at all with other adults. We feel so overwhelmed with the little free time we have, and most of our activities now are with our children. When we do get out with other adults and our children, it's really hard to talk to them because we're chasing our children the whole time, or one of us is chasing our children and feeling overwhelmed and taken advantage of while the other one is socializing (that's why parties are hard). I have pretty much lost the friends I had before I had kids. I get out and do stuff, but it's occasional and random, and it's only with other moms, either in my twins group or with people I met through here. I don't have the kinds of relationships where I can talk seriously about things or where people know what's going on in my life. Except here, and I also have some people at work that I feel close to. I keep thinking it will get easier as the children get older, and I also am starting to feel like my children are getting to the point where they can be good companions sometime instead of just work.

Suja, I am very happy for your friend.

Oh, and back to Bridget. I hate hate hate it when people say something mean and then try to dismiss the insult by saying they were kidding or put the responsibility back on the other person by the second insult of "what's the matter, can't you take a joke?" It's just plain bullying. I know it's just a routine way of communication for some people, but when I'm around people who talk like that, and I start to realize that is their habit, I (now that I'm an adult and can do it) tell them I don't think it's funny. When I was in high school, it just made me miserable.

ETA: I don't even think about being cool enough or not cool enough to hang out with Mylah. Should I be?
    Last edited by 3andMe; 11-01-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Happy Birthday Savana!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Oh, and back to Bridget. I hate hate hate it when people say something mean and then try to dismiss the insult by saying they were kidding or put the responsibility back on the other person by the second insult of "what's the matter, can't you take a joke?" It's just plain bullying. I know it's just a routine way of communication for some people, but when I'm around people who talk like that, and I start to realize that is their habit, I (now that I'm an adult and can do it) tell them I don't think it's funny. When I was in high school, it just made me miserable.
    Yes, this. That's the crap my boss was pulling on me for months. Till I snapped. Things were better and he's not doing that stuff any more. Instead he's irritating me in other ways.

I got to where I really liked the kids' birthday parties. Maybe it was conditioning...or I'm just nutty.

Abbey is an adorable strawberry!

Happy Birthday Savanna!

Last night we saw the most adorable puppy, a 2 month old Jack Russell terrier. All puppies are cute, but man that puppy had the cutest face. It gave me a serious case of puppy fever. Until I think about how hyper JR pups can be. Not sure I am ready for that, but then maybe that is a good excuse to go for long walks. I am used to couch potato dogs, Dachshunds, they are very happy to snuggle on the couch thankyouverymuch. But I know we are not ready for a dog, Gilly needs to be older, he's just too active for a little puppy. Plus we don't have a fenced yard, so we'll wait a few more years.

Gilly had a blast ToT last night, he was Buzz Lightyear, we went with his friend Sally, she was a fairy princess. G had his inflatable jetpack, and Sally had wings, they were so funny walking side by side with their wings. I noticed not as many people were handing out candy this year. Maybe the economy? I heard one group of people say they spent $40 on candy. Seems crazy doesn't it?!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    LOL@Bridget's birthday comment. That's the kinda thing I would've thought, too! Last year, Travis' party ended up being a big bash and we spent way too much money on a 3 year old's birthday party! We'll keep them more low-key going forward. The trend here is that once they start school, a lot of people invite the whole class over for a big party, but I don't think we'll do that!

Molly, your hubby and daughter are sooo cute!

We had a good time handing out candy last night; the kids stayed up late and were full of excitement!

As for socializing, my husband and I are both really quiet people and we don't have loads of friends, but we do have our close friends that we get together with every now and then. We do share most friends, but we each do have friends that are our "own" friends...his being his "band and football" mates and mine are my colleague/teacher/American friends.
    Yeah, I invited Josh's whole class last year and out of 10 I think we got 6 or 7...it wasn't bad. I invited his whole class again this year. IDK if you guys remember but I asked for advice here (last year I mean). Josh wanted to invite his whole class except one kid. I told him we should invite him too so he doesn't feel bad that he wasn't invited. He didn't end up coming.

Halloween is pretty quiet in our neighborhood. When we went out, we left the candy on the porch and not much was gone when we got back. We got maybe 30 kids total when we got back.

We ended up TOTing in a different neighborhood that is huge and DH went to when he was a kid. Josh peed his pants about an hour in so we went home.
    Last edited by daylilies; 11-01-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    Gilly had a blast ToT last night, he was Buzz Lightyear, we went with his friend Sally, she was a fairy princess. G had his inflatable jetpack, and Sally had wings, they were so funny walking side by side with their wings. I noticed not as many people were handing out candy this year. Maybe the economy? I heard one group of people say they spent $40 on candy. Seems crazy doesn't it?!
    Yeah! I bought an assortment for $15 at Target and barely made a dent in it

We tend to be homebodies here, it's been ages since we've had people over to our home. We have a few friends, most of them are dh's friends, he's met from work and his volunteer work. When I was working it was a small office, only 3-4 employees, so it's hard to meet people. I have found since becoming an adult, and leaving school it's hard for me to meet friends. When G was born I looked for mommy groups, but I never found one that I liked. I used to go to La Leche meetings, but I never clicked enough with any of the moms to make a friend. It's one the reasons we want to move, this town can be very cliquey and exclusive. That is so not us at all. How we ended up in this town is so surprising to me.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Cute strawberry costume!!!

My dh has more friends. If we ever parted, I would return to my personal isolation very soon. I just don't naturally have making/keeping/cultivating friends as a priority as I would almost always much rather do art or read or organize myself. Like I said in an earlier post, I think I have a touch of some kind of social anxiety disorder so going out, making friends, etc. really stresses me out. I don't mind giving dinner parties or having parties in my house, though. Partly because my dh cooks, so all I have to worry about is a clean house, clean dishes and clean clothing. Before him I had never given a dinner party before and now we have people over at least twice a month. It's nice.
    I'm the opposite, and can't stand large groups of people in my home. Mostly because I have to worry about a clean house, clean dishes, and clean clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    All puppies are cute, but man that puppy had the cutest face. It gave me a serious case of puppy fever.
    I have kitten fever, all the time. Good thing I have DH to say "no" to all kittens, or I'd end up a cat lady.

Happy Birthday Karen! And Savana, Josh, and JoJo!

Lots of Scorpios around here.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

Abbey woke up sick, and all she wants to do is lay on the couch and watch cartoons. I feel guilty for letting her watch cartoons all day and guilty for not letting her watch cartoons all day.

I'm going to try to pry her away from Clifford by making soup from scratch. She usually likes helping me in the kitchen.

Happy Birthday Savana!!! I hope she has a wonderful day!!

I don't really do kid birthdays either. I guess I do do something for them. I have a party usually for Ky every 4 years. He is due for another when he turns 12. We are also going to Disney (me and my lying self ) for Ky's birthday (which I don't want to do but now I feel like I must so I am going). Elle has never had a party. I took some cupcakes to her daycare on her birthday and she dressed as Spiderman Girl Princess and that was enough for her. I was happy.

My DH is extremely social. He has a lot of what I call "loser friends." I don't consider everyone I meet my friend like he does. He has "friends" that he doesn't even know their real names. To me that is not a friend. His associate that he calls the "Haitian Sensation" comes to mind. Or the ghetto-popular name "Ray-Ray." (All ghetto people know a Ray-Ray). They are not people I would like to hang around so I don't really speak to many of his friends except Corey who was our former neighbor and I love his mom because she is the best seamstress I know and his friend Tony who I used to work with and who I let stay with us for a few months when Elle was a baby. One of his friends just had a birthday and he is what I call the "tacky friend." He sends out invites to his own birthday every year and always puts at the bottom BYOD (bring your own drinks) and bring the "birthday boy" either $30 cash or a bottle of (insert expensive drink, this year it was Hennesey which is not as expesnive as years pasts). DH is so silly to me because he usually does what the invite tells him to do. After he told me that this friend sent him an invite I asked what liquor he wanted this year and DH then remembered that this friend does this every year and decided not to go. He finally agreed that the man was tacky.

I thought it funny one day because I invited DH to come to a dinner party that one of my friends was throwing for Mardie Gras. She is from Lousiana so throws a Mardi Gras party every year and invites all her friends from the neighborhood, some of whom I am also friends with. It was the first time DH went with me and he met a lot of nice people, one even made his own beer. He had great conversations with different types of people outside of his "loser friends" (he gets kind of ticked that I call his friends this but most of them are losers IMO). He admitted that I have better friends than he does after that!

I don't think about being cool either. I was a band geek, principal's list, teacher's pet, tattle tale, nerdy girl when I was young. But I was also tough and could kick some butt so no one messed with me and I was rather popular. Most of the kids in my high school knew me and I knew them. I always thought I was cool. I am vain like that. I still think I'm cool. Most people in high school that were referred to as the "cool kids" were some phonies IMO and I thought I was way cooler than they were. I don't know where I got that mindset from but I have always been rather vain and thought highly of myself so I don't know.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    We are also going to Disney (me and my lying self ) for Ky's birthday (which I don't want to do but now I feel like I must so I am going).
    omg Erin-you're too much!!!

Happy Birthday, Savana! And belated B'day wishes to Bridget, Chrissy, and Karen(?).

I'm very good at chatting up random people, but *terrible* at developing and maintaining friendships. The few friends I have, I made at the dog park ages ago, and that was mostly because as regulars, you kinda see the same people over and over and over and swapping dog sitting duties really helps cement that bond. And the few friends DH has, are all work/college friends from ages ago.

We really need to have our friends over to inaugurate the finished basement/bar (especially the bar). It's kind of hard to plan an adult party with the little critter on the loose. Plus, I seem to have chosen a batch of people all of whom have some weird food related quirk or the other.

Couple #1 - Hubby likes super spicy. Wife cannot tolerate spicy AT ALL, and cannot have anything acidic (that includes all berries, oranges, limes/lemons, tomatoes, peppers, etc.).

Couple #2 - Husband only eats PLAIN food. If it's got more than salt and butter/olive oil on it, he won't eat it. To give you an example, he'll only eat cheese pizza. Of all the ice creams on the planet, he'll only eat vanilla and mint chocolate chip. Wife is a vegetarian. She also does not drink (she's of Polish/German descent and has a really hard time when she goes back home to visit family) .

Couple #3 - Husband won't eat spicy. He prefers regular American fare over everything else, and really loves stuff like venison, pheasant, etc. (which I wouldn't know what to do with). Wife has strange "rules" about food. Something about chocolate not touching fruit, and veggies not touching meat or somesuch.

Anyone want to handle the menu planning?

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Happy Birthday, Savana! And belated B'day wishes to Bridget, Chrissy, and Karen(?).

I'm very good at chatting up random people, but *terrible* at developing and maintaining friendships. The few friends I have, I made at the dog park ages ago, and that was mostly because as regulars, you kinda see the same people over and over and over and swapping dog sitting duties really helps cement that bond. And the few friends DH has, are all work/college friends from ages ago.

We really need to have our friends over to inaugurate the finished basement/bar (especially the bar). It's kind of hard to plan an adult party with the little critter on the loose. Plus, I seem to have chosen a batch of people all of whom have some weird food related quirk or the other.

Couple #1 - Hubby likes super spicy. Wife cannot tolerate spicy AT ALL, and cannot have anything acidic (that includes all berries, oranges, limes/lemons, tomatoes, peppers, etc.).

Couple #2 - Husband only eats PLAIN food. If it's got more than salt and butter/olive oil on it, he won't eat it. To give you an example, he'll only eat cheese pizza. Of all the ice creams on the planet, he'll only eat vanilla and mint chocolate chip. Wife is a vegetarian. She also does not drink (she's of Polish/German descent and has a really hard time when she goes back home to visit family) .

Couple #3 - Husband won't eat spicy. He prefers regular American fare over everything else, and really loves stuff like venison, pheasant, etc. (which I wouldn't know what to do with). Wife has strange "rules" about food. Something about chocolate not touching fruit, and veggies not touching meat or somesuch.

Anyone want to handle the menu planning?
    ...Potluck.

Wow I missed alot!

I think its crazy that Bridget, Karen, and Chrissy all have the same bday! What are the chances??

We don't socialize much. DH's friends are on a different 'level' than we are. They still like to party, get drunk, and act stupid. I don't have time for that nonesense on a regular basis I hang out with my mom and my aunt more often than not, our big night out is BINGO I actually told DH the other night that I hated that we didn't go out with people anymore. I always feel like he was never interested/didn't like my friends, come to find out he says he gets uncomfortable and worrys they won't like him Poor guy, his childhood really messed him up, but I guess when you get called stupid/dumb your whole life its bound to have an impact DH is not overly social at all, he is fairly introverted, but not one single person we've met has *not* liked him. He is extremely personable when he allows himself to be Maybe we'll go to the Renaissance fair this year with a girl from work and her hubby. We went a couple years ago and he really enjoyed himself! Thats not for a few more month though, so I gotta think of something (cheap) for us to do. We both desparately need to get out of the house!!

Abbey'smom (I'm sorry my brain completely failed on your name ) I think it is fantastic that your DH let your DD pain his nails! And dressing up as a kitty! What daddys will do for their little girls!

Suja how did you manage to make friends with people with such oddball food aversions?? My mom can't allow any of her food to touch each other (with a few exceptions) which is hilarious since my dad literally mixes everything together before he eats it. Ah, the southern way

I was everywhere in highschool. Never really was in a 'group' I floated around depending on my mood between stoners, geeks, freaks, 'popular', and my favorite the flat out weird kids I don't relate 'coolness' into who I want to be friends with. I know all too well that outward appearances mean very little when it comes to who people really are

I know I'm missing things, but I think this is long enough for now

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I like the potluck idea! Or just do what you want and let the picky people deal with it. I say this as a picky person. I only eat cheese pizza, don't do very spicy things either. Or anything with mayo/miracle whip like pasta salads. Or eggs except in baked goods. No fish or seafood. Things like that. If I go eat someplace, I eat what is served or I just pick around it and eat the bread and desert or whatever.

LOL Erin. My lying self would be right there with you. I actually asked DH about it because in 13.5 years I have NEVER known him to tell a lie, not a little one. He is incapable of BSing it and that really hurt him in job interviews (he basically feels like unless he's an expert in something, like say excel, he doesn't feel knowledgeable in it...I kept trying to get him to see that experience in something=proficient but whatever). Anyway.....he actually said in the case of DW he would fudge a little if the child was really close. Kind of surprised me because I thought he wouldn't! Ideally I hope to take future baby there right before 3 but if the timing works out where kid is just over three, sounds like we will be lying a bit. The park would still get plenty of money from us because I would likely have at least a 5 day park hopper pass for all of us. My morals have no problem with this.

My favorite of all time sort of lie was when I was shopping with my mom for a dress for a school dance. We found one and bought it (hunter green lace with a slip under...very 90's! LOL). Dress was $69 and was absolutely not on sale. Went to check out and the girl at the register held it up in front of us and said Oh My God, this is huge. Dress was a size 24 so yeah it was a big dress but the store was one like where half was regular and half plus sizes. My mom gave her a look to kill and said something like, when you work in a store that sells plus clothes you should learn to keep your mouth shut or you should find another job. Girl was flustered and rang the dress up at $26. Neither mom nor I corrected her on that one and normally we would have.

I would have also totally lied and said I was a Christian for the adoption agency but DH wouldn't. I was happy that they took the statement of faith from us as the UU principles which we do believe....though I sort of made it like we were more churchy than we are. I mean I like going and feel like it's our religion.....but we aren't members (said that we weren't but planned on it) and well I seem to only make it maybe once every 2 months. I just can't seem to get up early enough to be there at 10am Sunday mornings.

Uggg, on my second cup of coffee this morning and it's not doing it yet. I was up past 2 last night for no good reason.

Oh and I'm not cool. I think I'm pretty awesome but yeah cool is not me. I like more nerdy things like sci-fy and reading and doing goofy things like putting DH and I in matching colors when we go out in public together. And I find nerdy men hot. I loved that fact that DH was into chess, studying something in school with the word physics in it, liked to program games on his graphing calculator for fun and that he loved to read and we could have these really deep conversations (not so much anymore, but than again I really haven't done that kind of reading and thinking for a while either....might be fun to do this winter though, pull out some Plato and read it together and talk about it).

I do warn you all though....if we met in person, I'm kind of quiet and shy at first. I'm better if I have a drink.....or get talking about cosmo. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    Tonight we went to our neighborhood mom's group Halloween pre-party. Abbey made Daddy dress like a kitty:

Oook! The cuteness. You can tell Matt I said that goes for him too.

I'm kind of sorry I mentioned the coolness topic. Just to be clear, I don't go through life meeting people and deciding whether or not they're less cool/as cool/more cool than me. That's a very junior high way of looking at the world that occasionally creeps into my feelings, but in no way interferes with whom I choose to spend time with. When I mentioned I thought the other mom might be too cool for me, I really meant that she seems incredibly confident and free (and is a good surfer), and not "cool" in a hipster sense at all. I'm to blame for maybe conflating the 2 definitions of "cool" during our discussion. I have a fairly low tolerance for hipsterism, having lived in that warehouse, and later on in Silverlake in LA, where I got to watch my neighborhood go from poor but safe to oppressively hipper-than-thou. In the Bay Area, in particular, I feel like you can walk into a coffee shop and identify the people who've chosen their friends on the basis of just how alternative and disaffected they appear. I smile too much to be a hipster. The books "The Hipster Handbook" and "Generation Ecch!" both sum up my feelings on the topic fairly well (at least the last time I opened them, which was 5 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I think its crazy that Bridget, Karen, and Chrissy all have the same bday! What are the chances??

--------

My mom can't allow any of her food to touch each other (with a few exceptions) which is hilarious since my dad literally mixes everything together before he eats it. Ah, the southern way
    Awesomesauce!!

I'm like that with my food-if I have a few kernels of corn get into my mashed potatoes, I can't eat them. Blech! My father mixes all his stuff. I can't even look at his plate without my stomach rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    ...Potluck.
    I wish! Only Wife #1 cooks. She's an amazing cook, though. The rest eat out/eat frozen food mostly.

Maybe I'll just ply them all with liquor, provide snacks, bread, cheeses, keep it *really* simple. And provide a veggie platter and dip for the vegetarian/sober friend

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Awesomesauce!!

I'm like that with my food-if I have a few kernels of corn get into my mashed potatoes, I can't eat them. Blech! My father mixes all his stuff. I can't even look at his plate without my stomach rolling.

This might really gross you out but my all time favorite comfort foods are mashed potatoes or buttered noodles with corn mixed in. I also love corn or broccoli mixed in my mac and cheese. Or a slice of cheap white bread with cold spaghetti on top of it.

Can you tell I have a thing for carbs?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm kind of sorry I mentioned the coolness topic. Just to be clear, I don't go through life meeting people and deciding whether or not they're less cool/as cool/more cool than me. That's a very junior high way of looking at the world that occasionally creeps into my feelings, but in no way interferes with whom I choose to spend time with.
    Oh I didn't think you meant it that way at all! I understand what you are saying. It is human nature to automatically classify people, that doesn't neccesarily mean you are determining anything from that classification.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I wish! Only Wife #1 cooks. She's an amazing cook, though. The rest eat out/eat frozen food mostly.

Maybe I'll just ply them all with liquor, provide snacks, bread, cheeses, keep it *really* simple. And provide a veggie platter and dip for the vegetarian/sober friend
    I think that sounds like a good plan! Can't go wrong with crackers & cheese!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm kind of sorry I mentioned the coolness topic. Just to be clear, I don't go through life meeting people and deciding whether or not they're less cool/as cool/more cool than me. That's a very junior high way of looking at the world that occasionally creeps into my feelings, but in no way interferes with whom I choose to spend time with. When I mentioned I thought the other mom might be too cool for me, I really meant that she seems incredibly confident and free (and is a good surfer), and not "cool" in a hipster sense at all. I'm to blame for maybe conflating the 2 definitions of "cool" during our discussion. I have a fairly low tolerance for hipsterism, having lived in that warehouse, and later on in Silverlake in LA, where I got to watch my neighborhood go from poor but safe to oppressively hipper-than-thou. In the Bay Area, in particular, I feel like you can walk into a coffee shop and identify the people who've chosen their friends on the basis of just how alternative and disaffected they appear. I smile too much to be a hipster. The books "The Hipster Handbook" and "Generation Ecch!" both sum up my feelings on the topic fairly well (at least the last time I opened them, which was 5 years ago).
    I'm not sorry you brought it up-I think we had an interesting discussion about it. I never dreamed for a minute you thought you were too cool for any of us, but I giggled at the thought.

There's this one mom of Syd's friend that is 'too cool' for us. By that, I mean she's running an organic farm and has animals and all this stuff that I know Rich would have loved to have. She's 'his type' of woman if I know him at all. She's actually very sweet and always shows us around and explains in detail what she does and why (Rich is fascinated, I'm lost). Anyway, every single time I'm around her I say something stupid and she just looks at me. Not with any expression-but I cringe inwardly. It's always over stupid things and she doesn't hold it against me...but I'm not sure what it is about her that gets me so out of sorts.

I don't dwell on it or feel overly bad-I'm more curious about why I'm that way around her and I laugh at myself. I definitely don't feel threatened by her or anything either. She's a wonderful person. I just happen to act like an idiot every time I'm around her.

Mylah, I totally get it. I find myself having thoughts like that when I am hanging out with the homeschooling families. Like, part of the reason I haven't gone to a skill share night is that I feel like I don't have a skill to share and plus they have a music circle at the end of each night and I do not play an instrument.