Page 821 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 321 721 771 811819820821822823 831 871 921 1321 ... LastLast
Results 24,601 to 24,630 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #24601

    Default

    She also wrote Spook, which I want to read of course.
    The author says in the introduction,
    "This is a book for people who would like very much to believe in a soul and in an afterlife for it to hang around in, but who have trouble accepting these things on faith. It's a giggly, random, utterly earthbound assault on our most ponderous unanswered question."

    Interested yet?

    I go through spurts of writing. I always intend to try to create a popular blog but my motivation fizzles out after a while. I don't really feel like I have anything new to present to that genre.

    I feel conflicted about liking the entertainment that's created by a person/people I don't like. We were talking about this not long ago with the Foo Fighters. Great music but DH hears Dave Grohl is kind of a d-bag. So are we supposed to not support his music because he's a diva? I don't know. I'm glad NKOTB are all nice guys so I don't have to make that decision about them

  2. #24602
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Mary Roach also wrote one called Boink. I am pretty sure we have all her stuff in our collection in hardcover and audio.

    For me it depends on what exactly the philosophy is or how the person was. I mean I hear things that Steve Jobs wasn't the nicest all the time but I still love my iPod and want an iPad very bad. Now Mel Gibson on the other hand, I refuse to watch anything that he is in.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  3. #24603
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    According to the author that just wrote Steve Jobs biography, he was also very sensitive and easy to cry. Maybe I'm strange, but I'm more forgiving of people like that. They just feel things more intently. Or perhaps have less control over their emotions? Some could argue they're more in touch with their emotions. Anyway, maybe he yelled at people. But he also cried. Men that cry always get to me. I forgive them everything.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  4. #24604
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    **note-NOT saying I'd put up with being verbally/physically abused in a personal relationship...but from a distance, it doesn't bother me that Steve Jobs might have been high strung. I don't think he was bigoted like Mel Gibson.

    That's the difference for me. I don't think I'd be able to watch any new Mel Gibson movies, but I retain my right to enjoy ones I liked before I knew he was an arse.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  5. #24605
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    I think if I didn't watch movies/listen to music/read books from anyone who I disagreed with, I would be shutting my mind to some great art. I have learned to separate the creator from the artwork. But I do avoid overly political people whom I disagree with because when the politics is too much in the show/movie/music, etc I can't separate out the art from the politics. That's the line for me. DH gives me a lot of grief because I love the Who and DH hates them. Every time I listen to it, he brings up the fact that Pete Townsend was investigated for looking at child porn. I don't know what happened - he was never convicted of anything - but I do think if it's true it's absolutely horrible. But I grew up loving his music and I think he is an amazing composer. I don't think I could ever not like his music - but I understand DH's reaction. I feel the same way DH does about Michael Jackson.

    Jennifer, I have got to go read the sequel to Matched! Thanks for telling me it's out. I loved that one. I need to read Hunger Games, too. I also need to read Ender's Game - I haven't read that one and I know it's a classic. I almost downloaded it recently.

    Molly, your art is amazing. I was a music major for a while, and I just hated the whole scene. Loved the music, hated the people. I got out of it and I really haven't done anything musically since. I don't really regret it - but every so often I think, "I could do that." Someday, maybe I will - but I'm very happy with what I do now.

    I WOULD like to finish my #$%@# novel. I just have no motivation - I want to have written it more than I want to actually write it. Makes no sense to me but it's the first ambition I ever recall having (to write a book) and it's never left me.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  6. #24606
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    As far as schools go, we have "neighborhood schools" all across the city (I think there are somewhere near 100 schools in our district) and kids are assigned to the neighborhood school. There is an open enrollment plan where parents can apply to have their children attend a school of their choice if they don't like the neighborhood school. I think that works by lottery. There is one school in the district (where I first worked) that is only by open enrollment or for children who are placed there through special ed. The neighborhood families don't go there unless they get in through the lottery.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  7. #24607

    Default

    Kate, if it's any help to settle things at all, The Foo Fighters did a few records @ DH's studio in LA. They were there for months straight, and the staff all thought DG was really nice and funny. He didn't say more than "hi" to my DH, but it was always a warm greeting. DG developed a reputation as a prankster.

    I totally approved of the YouTube footage of him yelling at members of his audience who were fighting. Most of all, I loved him in the SNL video short: "Punched".

  8. #24608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I think if I didn't watch movies/listen to music/read books from anyone who I disagreed with, I would be shutting my mind to some great art. I have learned to separate the creator from the artwork.
    I feel the same way and I don't even make a distinction in most instances when it comes to politics or even some alledged criminal activity. I like Michael Jackson's music but would never buy it again. Same with R. Kelly the R&B singer/songwriter/producer. I think he is a musical genius and was kind of upset for a while after his pedophilia was exposed because he is one of my favorite artist and now that I consider him a pedophile I felt I shouldn't listen to his music anymore. But I still enjoy both of their music and to "stick it to em" so to speak, I will buy it bootleg! I still get to enjoy it but I don't give them any money LOL!

    I feel the same about Mel Gibson. I also kind of feel bad for him though. I don't know why but I do. He is just pitiful IMO and I pity him and feel bad for how he has turned out. Kind of like I feel his mother feels about him and I think that's weird! But that movie "Apocalypto" was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I bought a great bootleg copy! I won't go see his movies in a theater though but I rarely go to movies anyway because they cost too much unless I get a good groupon rate or if DH wins a giftcard, which he does frequently through our commuter rewards program. They send him $20 AMC giftcards at least once every 3 months so either he and I or Ky and I or he and Ky will go to a movie.

    I forgot that we are having a Fall Festival at Ky's school tomorrow after school. The parents are being encouraged to dress like a literary character. I'm going to do the easy route and dress like the wicked witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz. The kids were cracking up and laughing while I chased them around saying "I'm going to get you my pretties!!" We went past bedtime with me acting like a witch and watching Ky rub DH's old shirt on the grass outside to make it look like he has dug himself out of a grave. He's being a zombie and is allowed to dress in his costume for the school day tomorrow. I hope I won't scare the kindergarteners there since he has requested fake blood to make it look like he is a part of the Zombie Apocalyspe and has just eaten a human. Halloween is probably my favorite holiday. I miss my mom being her old self. Now that she's all holy (I joke and call her a holy roller so it is not an insult to Christians for our lurkers) she doesn't get into Halloween like she used to. She was the best Halloween Mom. She always put together our costumes and she didn't even sew. She also did all our makeup with stuff from her actual makeup bag. When I was at Target I told her I was buying a makeup kit and she started giving me instructions on how to make a "fleshlike paste" out of cornstarch and food coloring that I could use on Ky instead of makeup to save money and even how to make skin tags on his face to make it look like he was rotting until she reminded herself she wasn't into Halloween anymore .

    Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-27-2011 at 08:41 PM.

  9. #24609
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Ok so it's not totally out yet but soon! http://www.amazon.com/Crossed-Matche...9769742&sr=8-1

    I got on the hold list at the library back in the spring so I'm number 2 on the list so will probably get an email next week to pick up as soon as it's processed.

    I read Ender's Game and remember liking it well enough to move on in the series but didn't like anything after that. Probably read it like 2004ish.

    If you two liked Matched, give Delirium a try. About a dystopian society in the US where basically love is considered a disease and removed from you at age 18. http://www.amazon.com/Delirium-Speci...9769994&sr=1-1

    The next one is that series comes out early March....I suggested the library buy it so I'm first on the hold list for that one.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  10. #24610
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Myles, I'm relieved to hear you say that about Dave Grohl! I him.

    Oh, and Erin, I pity Mel Gibson, too.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 10-27-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  11. #24611
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I feel the same about Mel Gibson. I also kind of feel bad for him though. I don't know why but I do. He is just pitiful IMO and I pity him and feel bad for how he has turned out. Kind of like I feel his mother feels about him and I think that's weird!

    Erin
    I have those same feelings Erin. I pity him more than hate/dislike him. What he said was awful, hateful, and appalling. But him as a person? I pity him. I think he's sad and I too wonder what his parents think and how they feel about it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  12. #24612
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I forgot that we are having a Fall Festival at Ky's school tomorrow after school. The parents are being encouraged to dress like a literary character. I'm going to do the easy route and dress like the wicked witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz. The kids were cracking up and laughing while I chased them around saying "I'm going to get you my pretties!!" We went past bedtime with me acting like a witch and watching Ky rub DH's old shirt on the grass outside to make it look like he has dug himself out of a grave. He's being a zombie and is allowed to dress in his costume for the school day tomorrow. I hope I won't scare the kindergarteners there since he has requested fake blood to make it look like he is a part of the Zombie Apocalyspe and has just eaten a human. Halloween is probably my favorite holiday. I miss my mom being her old self. Now that she's all holy (I joke and call her a holy roller so it is not an insult to Christians for our lurkers) she doesn't get into Halloween like she used to. She was the best Halloween Mom. She always put together our costumes and she didn't even sew. She also did all our makeup with stuff from her actual makeup bag. When I was at Target I told her I was buying a makeup kit and she started giving me instructions on how to make a "fleshlike paste" out of cornstarch and food coloring that I could use on Ky instead of makeup to save money and even how to make skin tags on his face to make it look like he was rotting until she reminded herself she wasn't into Halloween anymore .

    Erin
    I wanna be at your house!!! You sound like so much fun Erin

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  13. #24613
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I wanna be at your house!!! You sound like so much fun Erin
    This.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  14. #24614

    Default

    Before it gets away from me: Molly, that is an AMAZING piece of art! Wow. And I used to do stand-up comedy so I know about the burnout you mentioned. The pressure and the completely narcissistic mentally Ill people who populate the business (comics but also the horrible agents and managers) really got to me. From personal experience, the casting couch is still how you get ahead out ther. Ick. I had three different men in positions of power try to "buy" me- they would do X for me if I would be their girlfriend. One guy actually just gave me a dollar amount that he would give me monthly if I would make myself available when he called. Ick ick ick. And none of them looked ANYTHING like Robert Redford.

    Oops, sorry about the tangent!

    Also, nice panties Mylah! Teehee

    Sorry dh is being difficult L.

    Glad your knee feels better Mandy.

    Hang in there, Chrissy. I hope your weekend takes it easy on you.

    I know I am missing a lot of posts-- I'm sorry.

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov


  15. #24615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I wanna be at your house!!! You sound like so much fun Erin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    This.

    Well you both are welcome to come anytime!!

    I don't think I'm much fun though. I'm rather silly but I always feel bad because I don't think I'm a "fun mom." DH thinks I'm crazy in that thought but that's how I feel. I am just naturally goofy and silly but I think I'm rather boring.

    We could have a lot of fun just talking and joking around though. I love to talk and laugh. Just thinking about you ladies coming over make me think it would be like some sort of family get together or something. I love cooking and talking to family and laughing. I like doing that more than going places, which is why I think I'm boring. I was talking to my youngest brother the other day and he is always talking about how much he loves us (his family) because we have such funny times together and enjoy each others company. I feel the same way about you ladies here even though you can't hear my constant, incessant laughing when you say something funny!

    Erin

  16. #24616
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Erin, when my family gets together, my mom and her sister and my sister and all the cousins, we have great times just like that. Talking and giggling and just happy to be together. Sadly we haven't had a good get-together like that in a while. I could see all us heathens in here having a similar time. Wish it could happen.

    I got a fb friend request from a girl I went to grad school with. We went through a LOT together and she was one of my bridesmaids. She actually helped DH buy my wedding ring. We lost touch after we both started working and I've regretted it. She just looked me up on fb -turns out she has a 7month old. Our friend who was another bridesmaid of mine has a little girl and is pg with twins. I'm really happy for them but it's bittersweet. I wish I could just be happy because they're both great girls.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  17. #24617
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Well you both are welcome to come anytime!!

    I don't think I'm much fun though. I'm rather silly but I always feel bad because I don't think I'm a "fun mom." DH thinks I'm crazy in that thought but that's how I feel. I am just naturally goofy and silly but I think I'm rather boring.

    We could have a lot of fun just talking and joking around though. I love to talk and laugh. Just thinking about you ladies coming over make me think it would be like some sort of family get together or something. I love cooking and talking to family and laughing. I like doing that more than going places, which is why I think I'm boring. I was talking to my youngest brother the other day and he is always talking about how much he loves us (his family) because we have such funny times together and enjoy each others company. I feel the same way about you ladies here even though you can't hear my constant, incessant laughing when you say something funny!

    Erin
    That sounds like a fabulous time to me Erin, and yes, it would be like visiting family for me too because I feel like we're so close. You all know more about me than my real family does anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Erin, when my family gets together, my mom and her sister and my sister and all the cousins, we have great times just like that. Talking and giggling and just happy to be together. Sadly we haven't had a good get-together like that in a while. I could see all us heathens in here having a similar time. Wish it could happen.

    I got a fb friend request from a girl I went to grad school with. We went through a LOT together and she was one of my bridesmaids. She actually helped DH buy my wedding ring. We lost touch after we both started working and I've regretted it. She just looked me up on fb -turns out she has a 7month old. Our friend who was another bridesmaid of mine has a little girl and is pg with twins. I'm really happy for them but it's bittersweet. I wish I could just be happy because they're both great girls.
    Wanting one for yourself doesn't take away from the happiness you feel for your friends. It's ok to feel that way Mandy.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  18. #24618
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Umm Chrissy, that snow pic this morning was sad! All we got here was a pretty frost on the grass and it should be 50 this afternoon. I don't mind the chill but not such a snow fan....especially not on days I have to work and leave the house.

    I finally got around to getting a slow cooker....and gotta say it was nice last night coming home to a pork roast and beef roast already cooked. I like beef, DH likes pork so I got a small one of each and cooked them together with the veggies. We took out the carrots and potatoes but have enough meat left for another meal and probably than some.

    DH was supposed to work this weekend...they do mandatory overtime every fourth weekend but he hates doing 12 days in a row...and found someone to cover both is nights this weekend! So now looking at things to do and thinking about heading over to the mall of america....it's about a 90 minute drive to get there. And maybe stopping for lunch in St. Paul at this place that has the very best cheesecake ever. thank god we don't live close and only go like once a year!

    Gwen. I totally get it. I still feel annoyed or even hostile (not that I would do something to someone else or wish harm or anything....just more anger over my own situation and the unfairness of it all) sometimes at pg women and working where I do, I see them daily. And I have yet to go meet my bff's daughter who is now 10 months old (we don't live in the same city but still I could have gone over by now). And I would highly annoyed if my sister turned up pg without trying.....but with her situation, I know that won't happen and that it will be something planned and not right now. It has gotten a lot better over the course of this year as we have settled into our decision and committed to it....but still have my moments!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  19. #24619
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Umm Chrissy, that snow pic this morning was sad! All we got here was a pretty frost on the grass and it should be 50 this afternoon. I don't mind the chill but not such a snow fan....especially not on days I have to work and leave the house.
    Yeah, I'm not happy at all. An area just outside of Ithaca was covered in ice and our bus slid a good distance. He wasn't even driving fast. It kinda freaked me out.

    I was talking to another woman that works in the building. She had come in the same way. She didn't have to do the detour like we did and she saw a car flipped over and on fire. In another area (on the other side of Ithaca) a school bus slipped off the road. I don't think anyone was expecting all this ice. I'm glad I didn't drive in. Snow I don't mind...ice scares me to death.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  20. #24620
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Avoiding Work
    Posts
    14,719

    Default

    Erin I think you sound like alot of fun! I'm the same way, I'd rather hang out with my friends/family talk, eat, and enjoy each others company than go out.

    Gwenn that is completely normal! Even now that I have Nolan, I still feel that spark of anger when I see someone get pregnant accidentally or not appreciate a baby that they have. Like my little brothers ex gf that told him the other day (when he was trying to talk to her about getting there lives together because he wants to be a part of Cs life) she said that she couldn't be a mother to C because she doesn't want to get off the pills WTH?? Don't you know the gift you've been given??

    Jennifer welcome to the crock pot love! Me and my crock pot have a very loving relationship, I don't know what I'd do without it! I'm glad its starting to get cooler (albeit slower here in Fl) because its perfect season for soups

    Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog


  21. #24621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly'sMom View Post
    After G went to bed, I threw away the crappy candy like candy corn *gag*, and replaced it with organic lollipops.
    I've done stuff like that too. It's not unusual for me to squeeze out the glittery, blue-dye toothpaste that comes in tubes with characters on them he likes and replace it with healthier tooth gel from Melvita or Weleda. Talk about time consuming!

    Snow and ice? Eeks!
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-28-2011 at 10:16 AM.

  22. #24622
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Snow and ice? Eeks!
    Yeah. And it'll be like this (or worse) through May. That's why I complain about it so much--it's never ending. It's not just a couple bad, unbearable months. It's 7-9 months of every year.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  23. #24623

    Default

    Erin, I'll bet you're the hostess with the mostest. I wish we could have that party.

  24. #24624
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I'm really happy for them but it's bittersweet. I wish I could just be happy because they're both great girls.
    It's perfectly normal to feel that way.

    I have a friend on FB who is having her own struggles, and am privy to how difficult it is for her to see others achieve with apparent ease something that is likely out of reach for her. I hope that all who wish to be mothers get their wishes fulfilled.

    We're supposed to get a little snow tomorrow. In Virginia. In October. Stupid global climate change.
    Last edited by Suja; 10-28-2011 at 09:09 AM.

  25. #24625

    Default

    Hugs to Jennifer and Gwenn. I think your feelings are completely valid.

    So, we are on our little mini vacation and our plan for this morning was to go to the space/robot museum here but Sawyer fell asleep so dbf took Savana and Kai. I was actually feeling really bummed because I wanted to do the museum with them. I love how excited they get about that sort of thing. After they left this realization came over me that I am in a hotel so there is no housework for me to do! This feels very strange and wonderful! I couldn't think of a better gift right now. I wonder if 10am is too early for a glass of wine.

    In our hotel is a very small kids pool with a couple of slides. Shallow and mellow, not very busy. Perfect, imo. But we got passes to another bigger indoor water park so we went last night. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what but the crowd and noise level in there had me feeling very uneasy. It was SO loud and SO busy. I felt very dicombobulated. I didn't want to take Sawyer in the water because there was too much splashing and craziness so I was sitting on a chair a few feet from where Kai was playing with a little water squirting toy while dbf took Savana on some bigger slides. I see this couple with a little girl approach Kai and my first thought was that the girl wanted a turn with the toy he was using. But then I saw them pointing off towards another area as if they were telling him to go somewhere so I immediately walked up and said, "Is everything ok?" Well, I actually yelled it because it was so loud but the couple then just walked away! I was like, "Excuse me!" but they kept walking. I asked Kai what they said and he said they were telling him to go over there. What.The.Fluck.
    You guys, it left me with such a horrible feeling in my stomach. I told dbf when he came back over to us and he wanted me to go find the couple and point them out so he could ask them what they were saying but there were hundreds of people. It may have been nothing and likely was nothing but it just go me thinking about how a place like that is a haven for predators and how easy it would be to lose track of your child/ren if you turned your back for a moment and someone lured them away.
    So, yeah, I spent the rest of the time standing in the kiddie pool close to Kai and maneuvering Sawyer this way and that so he wouldn't get splashed and thinking about horrible things.
    But on a happier note, Savana and dbf had a wonderful time on the slides together and it elates me to see the kids and him with smiles on their faces.

  26. #24626
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Yeah. And it'll be like this (or worse) through May. That's why I complain about it so much--it's never ending. It's not just a couple bad, unbearable months. It's 7-9 months of every year.

    I almost think that you are worse off than we are. We sometimes get a quick shot in Oct. but generally it's Nov. through March. We can get it in April but not always and really the worse is Nov (usually mid to late) through March. April tends to be pretty decent. Really like 5 months.

    The first of the season tends to be awful because there isn't salt and sand down already. And it sounds like you guys must have been on the verge of freezing if there there was that much ice.

    I came home last night and realized that DH didn't turn the fireplace off. We haven't turned on the heat yet but I run the fireplace for a bit in the morning and for a few hours at night. Yesterday morning it was 63 when I woke up and when I got home it was freaking 74 in my house and I had to wear a tank top.

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  27. #24627
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I came home last night and realized that DH didn't turn the fireplace off. We haven't turned on the heat yet but I run the fireplace for a bit in the morning and for a few hours at night. Yesterday morning it was 63 when I woke up and when I got home it was freaking 74 in my house and I had to wear a tank top.
    LOL! I usually keep the house between 72 - 74 degrees. And I'm still sitting here in jeans, a pair of woolen socks, turtleneck and a fleece jacket. I'm such a weenie!

  28. #24628
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Bridget, that would have scared the crap out of me to! What are people thinking, encouraging a young child to go somewhere else? You can't help but wonder what their motives were. That said, I'm sure they were probably pointing out a toy that they thought he'd enjoy and it was all innocent, but I feel like in this day and age adults should know better. If they were thinking, they could have tried to locate you and told you about the better toy on the other side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I almost think that you are worse off than we are. We sometimes get a quick shot in Oct. but generally it's Nov. through March. We can get it in April but not always and really the worse is Nov (usually mid to late) through March. April tends to be pretty decent. Really like 5 months.

    The first of the season tends to be awful because there isn't salt and sand down already. And it sounds like you guys must have been on the verge of freezing if there there was that much ice.

    I came home last night and realized that DH didn't turn the fireplace off. We haven't turned on the heat yet but I run the fireplace for a bit in the morning and for a few hours at night. Yesterday morning it was 63 when I woke up and when I got home it was freaking 74 in my house and I had to wear a tank top.
    It does sometimes warm up in April here too Jennifer. I'm still scarred from having to scrape frost off my windshield on Mother's Day last year. Not 2011, but 2010. I was so frustrated!! We have had snow storms in April though..it's not unheard of. Sometimes it doesn't snow here till late November either. I'm just in a fowl mood because winter has arrived early for us. And I hate winter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    LOL! I usually keep the house between 72 - 74 degrees. And I'm still sitting here in jeans, a pair of woolen socks, turtleneck and a fleece jacket. I'm such a weenie!
    That's me too. I feel cold at 72.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #24629
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    LOL! I usually keep the house between 72 - 74 degrees. And I'm still sitting here in jeans, a pair of woolen socks, turtleneck and a fleece jacket. I'm such a weenie!
    In the summer it is kept at 71 maybe 72 if it's super hot outside. In the winter it's kept at about 67-68. If cold, we get a blanket, snuggle the dog or turn on the fireplace for a while. It's great because that warms up the living room and kitchen/dining but keeps the bedrooms cooler for sleeping.

    Chrissy likes the heat...I'm the opposite and turn into a crabby whining biotch if I'm hot and sweating. Though 63 inside in the morning a bit too chilly!

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  30. #24630
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Chrissy likes the heat...I'm the opposite and turn into a crabby whining biotch if I'm hot and sweating. Though 63 inside in the morning a bit too chilly!
    And that's exactly how I am when I'm cold!!

    I really need to stop whining about it. I drive myself crazy. I can only imagine how everyone else feels when they read/hear (yes, I even complain out loud to my irl friends) me get on the topic of weather. (at me)

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •