Page 82 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 32 728081828384 92 132 182 582 1082 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I confess my favorite part of the show was when they were speaking about Obama and said he's a hypocrite and an undercover agnostic since he doesn't go to church anymore now that he's become president. I hope it's true.

Erin
    I confess I'd like to know where the President is supposed to find time to go to church!? (If they chose to)

Does any one live in S. Carolina here?
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

I confess I think a run on is when you write a sentence that should really be two like "we went to the mall we had a good time" and NOT when you write a very long sentence. A sentence can be a paragraph long and not be a run on. So you're good Rin ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I think hand-me-downs are even better than new clothes, esp. if you know the person who wore them.
    This is so true. Liam had this thermal weave Old Navy shirt from Flutterbudget's son, and for some reason he always looked extra cuddly.

Quote Originally Posted by atenielle View Post
    I confess I just realize I've been typing his name as TredHEAD
    So not a problem. If he'd get his arse in here again, it'd be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rin View Post
    I confess I am paying dearly this week for last weeks laziness. Yes, its only Monday, but I've been hopping between getting my house looking perfect so it can get appraised at the highest possible price, planning my 10 year reunion and there are things that HAVE to get done NOW, and trying not to get caught up in wanting to think about Vegas... 'cause really, that's all I want to do.

^that is what I like to call a run on... Eat it up grammar police!!!
    I confess I didn't think appraisers were supposed to take the cleanliness of your house into account when determining value!!! So not fair! If I'd known that when we refinanced in 2007 I would have done much more organizing and cleaning before he arrived.

I confess I'd like to know where the President is supposed to find time to go to church!? (If they chose to)
    That was EXACTLY the first thought that popped into my head.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

5. Default

I confess DH and I are discussing naming baby #2 Brandon II and calling him Deuce as a nickname... lol

and thats a big IF #2 is a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by KateS View Post
    I confess I think a run on is when you write a sentence that should really be two like "we went to the mall we had a good time" and NOT when you write a very long sentence. A sentence can be a paragraph long and not be a run on. So you're good Rin ;)
    Haha! Thanks. I always write long-winded sentences but usually try to be grammatically correct. Of couse that may not matter because I like to throw in a lot of slang.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I confess I didn't think appraisers were supposed to take the cleanliness of your house into account when determining value!!! So not fair! If I'd known that when we refinanced in 2007 I would have done much more organizing and cleaning before he arrived.
    It probably doesn't but Dh is adamant about making the house look as nice as possible. We made the landscaping all pretty and touched up some paint in the front. Inside I've just been organizing and cleaning. It does actually look a ton nicer. Its just that we are in a tough area to sell and are afraid the appraisal will be too low and I want to get the FLIP out of here!!!
    Me (Erin), Dh (Sean), Aidan~6, Liam~3, Meara, The Newbie

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Rin View Post
    It probably doesn't but Dh is adamant about making the house look as nice as possible. We made the landscaping all pretty and touched up some paint in the front. Inside I've just been organizing and cleaning. It does actually look a ton nicer. Its just that we are in a tough area to sell and are afraid the appraisal will be too low and I want to get the FLIP out of here!!!
    I think your dh is right. I actually looked up tips online for appraisals, and it recommended cleaning, organizing, and fixing things that looked broken. We got an appraisal in January and I worked my butt off cleaning and organizing beforehand. I made dh throw out a ton of clutter, and made him clean out our storage shed. We worked every weekend for about two months beforehand, and made numerous donation runs to Salvation Army. We tried to improve our curb appeal.

I wrote a list of every improvement I made, with the costs, since I bought the house, from installing dual-pane windows to central heating to just replacing the back fence and provided that to the appraiser.

I didn't do nearly as much as I would have if I was trying to sell, but I did a lot. I think it made a huge difference. With at least five homes within our two blocks in foreclosure, a terrible housing market in our city, and the refinance officer at the bank thinking there was No Way our home would appraise for what I bought it for 4 years ago, our appraisal came through $100K over what I paid for it. It was well worth putting in the work.

I think your dh is right. I actually looked up tips online for appraisals, and it recommended cleaning, organizing, and fixing things that looked broken. We got an appraisal in January and I worked my butt off cleaning and organizing beforehand. I made dh throw out a ton of clutter, and made him clean out our storage shed. We worked every weekend for about two months beforehand, and made numerous donation runs to Salvation Army. We tried to improve our curb appeal.

I wrote a list of every improvement I made, with the costs, since I bought the house, from installing dual-pane windows to central heating to just replacing the back fence and provided that to the appraiser.

I didn't do nearly as much as I would have if I was trying to sell, but I did a lot. I think it made a huge difference. With at least five homes within our two blocks in foreclosure, a terrible housing market in our city, and the refinance officer at the bank thinking there was No Way our home would appraise for what I bought it for 4 years ago, our appraisal came through $100K over what I paid for it. It was well worth putting in the work.
    I sooooo keeping this in mind for the future.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    I sooooo keeping this in mind for the future.
    Me too!

Wow Lydia, that's awesome! We've done everything we had planned to do except put in tile (nice tile) floors and change the counter tops. This appraisal is for refinancing but after this we basically plan on buying property and making payments on that while we're fixing the house to sell. Its pretty much there, like I said. Dh has done a TON of really nice landscaping and we installed an air conditioner. We really would love to put in nicer appliances because the ones we have are trash, but I don't know if that's possible. I think it would help though. I think once we get the quote this week we'll be able to go from there and change what we need to get the best price possible. The house on the other side of the playground (yes, we live on a playground) is vacant but they fixed it up and took the for sale sign down so I'm waiting for people to move in. There are two houses down the street trying to sell at the price they bought it for 5 or 6 years ago and they've been sitting there for a year or two. One house that's the same model as ours sold for $40,000 under what we paid, even though we were told our house was worth about $18,000 under what we paid (just based on the neighborhood statistics, we're obviously hoping for better).

I was hoping our Rocky Mountain Christian Church neighbors would bring in some eager church going folk, but not as many as I have expected have come. I just want it to be worth at least as much as what we bought it for.
    Me (Erin), Dh (Sean), Aidan~6, Liam~3, Meara, The Newbie

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

So... I'm a lousy friend. My best friend just called me and we talked for a good hour. We've been friends since high school and I've NEVER liked talking on the phone, so she knows that about me. But she DOES talk on the phone, so I totally understand how it's hard on her. She cried to me, said it hurts her that instead of calling her about whatever's going on in my life, I jump online and talk to... well, you guys. And that sucks, she's totally right. I should call her. I LIKE talking to her! But I just can't pick up the dang phone. I suck.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I'm reading Freud's Civilization and its Discontents. I got it used and the previous owner has underlined things and made little comments in the margins. Little Christian comments in the margins. I have to say, it annoys me so much I'm having a hard time reading the book. At one point she (and I say "she" because she dots her 'i's with little hearts) said "Religion is NOT just a feeling! At least not Christianity." The last comment I read last night said something like "he's long winded and so far has yet to make a point." I seriously wanted to rip the entire page out of my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    So... I'm a lousy friend. My best friend just called me and we talked for a good hour. We've been friends since high school and I've NEVER liked talking on the phone, so she knows that about me. But she DOES talk on the phone, so I totally understand how it's hard on her. She cried to me, said it hurts her that instead of calling her about whatever's going on in my life, I jump online and talk to... well, you guys. And that sucks, she's totally right. I should call her. I LIKE talking to her! But I just can't pick up the dang phone. I suck.

I have trouble doing it too.
    I rather them or myself Instant message back and forth.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I'm reading Freud's Civilization and its Discontents. I got it used and the previous owner has underlined things and made little comments in the margins. Little Christian comments in the margins. I have to say, it annoys me so much I'm having a hard time reading the book. At one point she (and I say "she" because she dots her 'i's with little hearts) said "Religion is NOT just a feeling! At least not Christianity." The last comment I read last night said something like "he's long winded and so far has yet to make a point." I seriously wanted to rip the entire page out of my book.
    uuuuuuuuughhhhh..
    Wasn't she ever taught not to write in books?
    Though it would be kinda funny to do that to her bible teehee

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post
    Wasn't she ever taught not to write in books?
    A friend of mine loaned me books all the time (When we lived near each other) and she would highlight favorite passages and write in the margins too... though we were very like minded and I thought her comments were hilarious.. and usually loved the passages she highlighted too..

My favorite was reading her copy of "**** : A declaration of Independence"

http://www.amazon.com/****-Declarati.../dp/1580050158

16. Default

I confess I just saw this pic on one of DH's buddies myspace, and immediately thought of you ladies..

I've been there!

I confess I love my mommy for paying for us to fly home and rent a car while we are there!! Just about 2 months before we go home!!! So excited!!! And apparently my sister wants to give me a baby shower while I am there, which I dont need, but I dont mind getting together with everyone and just hanging out!!!

19. Default

I've been there!
    Where is it!?

Quote Originally Posted by amorton1437 View Post
    I confess I love my mommy for paying for us to fly home and rent a car while we are there!! Just about 2 months before we go home!!! So excited!!! And apparently my sister wants to give me a baby shower while I am there, which I dont need, but I dont mind getting together with everyone and just hanging out!!!
    That is awesome hun! I'm so happy for you!!

New Mexico.

shutterbird Guest

A friend of mine loaned me books all the time (When we lived near each other) and she would highlight favorite passages and write in the margins too... though we were very like minded and I thought her comments were hilarious.. and usually loved the passages she highlighted too..

My favorite was reading her copy of "**** : A declaration of Independence"

http://www.amazon.com/****-Declarati.../dp/1580050158
    Love that book, except for the abortion section.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I've been to Truth or Consequences, too!

And Bean, I know how you feel. I can't talk on the phone. There would be crying or babies trying to climb up me if I did. I don't think you're a bad friend.

I used to be able to do it, and sometimes I still do when I commute, but electronic communication is pretty much the only thing I can do to stay in touch. One of my friends from high school just became my friend on Facebook and asked me to call her. I said I couldn't because of the babies, but we could email and she could look at my blog if she wanted to catch up. She wrote back and told me if I got a spare minute or two I should call her. She just doesn't get it.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbird View Post
    Love that book, except for the abortion section.
    Yeah... that part made me cry.

I think my favorite passage was when she was talking about how her dad told her she wasn't allowed to have boys in her room with the door closed, because of what it would do to her reputation... and then she said something about "Little did he know it wasn't the boys he had to worry about" I literally laughed out loud.

I confess teenagers drive me crazy.

I confess I love and miss you all. My sister's here and I've been entertaining.

I confess big, big hugs for Bean. I've been there with the friend/phone thing. I am sorta phone phobic and people just refuse to understand or accept that.

I confess that almost everyone I know has been super judgmental and downright angry with me over my decision to be a SAHW for the time being. Why does this upset people so much? I'm getting to the point where I don't want to meet new people because inevitably the "what do you do?" question comes up and they get all offended when I tell them.

26. Default

Quote Originally Posted by willOwispy View Post

I confess that almost everyone I know has been super judgmental and downright angry with me over my decision to be a SAHW for the time being. Why does this upset people so much? I'm getting to the point where I don't want to meet new people because inevitably the "what do you do?" question comes up and they get all offended when I tell them.
    I confess... WTF. Thats uber lame.

I confess I just saw this pic on one of DH's buddies myspace, and immediately thought of you ladies..

Where is that?

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaAnew View Post

Where is that?
    New Mexico ( Thanks Cass)

Quote Originally Posted by willOwispy View Post
    I confess big, big hugs for Bean. I've been there with the friend/phone thing. I am sorta phone phobic and people just refuse to understand or accept that.

I was a SAHW before I became a SAHM...People are just dumb. Tell them you are a Homemaker.

New Mexico ( Thanks Cass)
    Hey that might not be that far from me!!