Page 804 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3047047547948028038048058068148549041304 ... LastLast
Results 24,091 to 24,120 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Actually plot-wise it's the best so far ... But I only got to say "That guy is about to be eaten by a dinosaur" once tonight and even then I didn't believe it! So a disappointment in that respect.
    I am only disappointed on Conner's behalf. He'd prefer the show to just be the dinosaurs battling the people from beginning to end. For me, I rather like the show and that says a lot because I'm not a sci-fi person at all.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

It's not as much fun shouting "that guy is about to be eaten by a dinosaur" without DH in the other room pretending he doesn't care. If you can't tell, that's my Terra Nova mantra.
    I wish I could watch it with you!! I could try to pretend not to care if it would make it more fun for you.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I wish I could watch it with you!! I could try to pretend not to care if it would make it more fun for you.

I don't think you could possibly duplicate DH's not-caring expression.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Go, Myles, go! I am going to have some cake today to celebrate for you! ;)

I think they'll start showing that Terra Nova over here soon; they usually show the good shows a few weeks/months after they do in the US, so we're always behind on American TV. The last show we tried to watch was "The Event" and that got cancelled half way through its first season, so we haven't attached ourselves to any other American shows since then.

I love how you described that look, Erin. I can imagine it so well! We went for a walk with all the kids the other day (our 2 and SIL's 3) and we stopped at our local park. There were 3 boys already there about 10 years old playing soccer together. My nephew who is 4 said loudly to them, "You're going to have to mind us now that we're here." (American translation to that would be, "Be careful of us now that we're here.") LOL! The one boy said, "OK" and smiled. Hee hee.

I'm going to have to do some ironing now; Tuesday is my housekeeping day since Travis is in school til 3:15 and I don't do any volunteering on this day, so it's the only time I've got to do the big chores thoroughly.

I love that you still iron. And that you used a semicolon.

We iron...sometimes after we stuff the clothes basket they come out wrinkled when they put them away. How do you take care of wrinkled clothes without ironing?

I love that Downy wrinkle release spray but it feels like cheating. LOL

Um....we take care of that by wearing wrinkled clothes.

I don't think you could possibly duplicate DH's not-caring expression.
    I have no doubt I probably couldn't...but we could giggle at my attempts

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    We iron...sometimes after we stuff the clothes basket they come out wrinkled when they put them away. How do you take care of wrinkled clothes without ironing?

I love that Downy wrinkle release spray but it feels like cheating. LOL
    Um, I get them damp and toss them back in the drier. Works like a charm!!

I don't even have a dryer right now! And let me tell you, not having a dryer is a TOTALLY different ball game than just having a clothesline. It's been cold and I'm out hanging clothes with frozen fingers. Sawyers diapers I usually hang for a few hours and throw in the dryer for about 15 minutes and they are good to go. They take almost 2 days to dry on the line.

Oh goodness that sounds awful Bridget. I've never been able to get into line drying clothes. For one, it's a lot of work. And I don't like how 'crusty' the clothes feel after.

I have actually learned to enjoy the time outside hanging clothes but that's in the spring and summer! The fall is different. And I often throw things in the dryer on "fluff" to make them soft after.

Line drying is just one of those things I *have* to do. It's that dam treehugger in me.

I have a mini-tree hunger in me that's reading me the riot act for being lazy right now. You're just awesome Bridget. I can't stress that enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I love that you still iron. And that you used a semicolon.
    Lol. Ironing is the national pastime of England. Didn't you know? Haha. I'm not as bad as my MIL who irons everything including bedding, socks and undies. We have a condenser dryer. It has a compartment that collects the water from the clothes and is emptied after every load, so it doesn't have to be plumbed in like a normal dryer. I actually don't mind ironing since it's one of those chores that I can stand in front of the tv and watch it while I work.

We hang clothes out, too, but I have to admit it's more because it's cheaper than using the dryer. Most of our neighbors are 60+ and they all hang their washing out all the time. I call them the die-hard English folk since most also have their own vegetable plots, and chickens and walk or take the bus everywhere. I think I'll slowly turn into one of those kind of people over time. :-)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I packed my iron up in a box last January and haven't unpacked it yet. I refuse to iron.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 10-21-2011 at 07:58 AM.

I iron at least once a week. Usually I iron all of mine and Elle's clothes right after they are washed. I do Ky's uniforms sometimes too. I wished I had done them on Sunday after he washed because he was uber wrinkly this morning and I just didn't have time to iron it for him. He knows how to iron but takes an hour to iron two pairs of pants otherwise I would have made him do it.

I actually don't mind ironing.

Oddly enough (and hope I don't offend anyone) but my DH complains I don't iron enough. He says it is proof that I "don't care about how I look like white women do." Bear in mind that DH is from Chicago so didn't know many white people growing up or in his young adult life since it is very segregated. I always tell him he is nutty when he says this, plus it cracks me up because I know people from all races who don't iron . He says this when I rush out to the store or something in wrinkly sweat pants. I'm not a die hard ironer and only do work clothes.

Ash, you made me think I need to hire an Englishwoman to do my ironing. I would love someone to iron my curtains. They are rather wrinkly but I always talk myself out of doing it.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Ash, you made me think I need to hire an Englishwoman to do my ironing. I would love someone to iron my curtains. They are rather wrinkly but I always talk myself out of doing it.

Erin
    You wouldn't go wrong with an English lady, that is for sure. My MIL loves doing her curtains every 3 or 4 months!

Bridget no dryer that would be miserable! I used to love hanging clothes on the line when I was younger, it was one of my fav chores since it got me out of the house away from everybody

We don't iron either, I don't care if it's wrinkled-I'm still going to wear it

My fridge is dying on me After my truck breaking down this past weekend (new battery + new key since apparently the theft system was rejecting mine after I had it jumped and scrambled the code sequence ) The only way for us to get a new fridge right now is to put it on credit which is seriously stressing me out! We are over extended as it is and have it worked out so we would be debt free (minus my truck) by March-April... and now this

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I don't even have any curtains in my house.

I have an iron but I suck at it and rarely do it. I used to when DH had a job where he wore a dress shirt and tie every day. I generally look for clothes for me that don't need ironing....which is ok because I'm pear shaped and button down cotton shirts don't work well on me anyway.

I also line dry but inside. I hang them in the shower. I dry all clothes and pj's that way. Only stuff that goes in the dryer are sheets, blankets, towels, socks and undies. It's nice now because we have HE front loader and so usually stuff comes out pretty dry and after I hang them, they are totally dry in less than a day. Clothes last MUCH longer if they aren't put in a dryer....they don't shrink and they don't wrinkle (unless it's like 100% cotton) on a hanger.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Bridget no dryer that would be miserable! I used to love hanging clothes on the line when I was younger, it was one of my fav chores since it got me out of the house away from everybody

We don't iron either, I don't care if it's wrinkled-I'm still going to wear it

My fridge is dying on me After my truck breaking down this past weekend (new battery + new key since apparently the theft system was rejecting mine after I had it jumped and scrambled the code sequence ) The only way for us to get a new fridge right now is to put it on credit which is seriously stressing me out! We are over extended as it is and have it worked out so we would be debt free (minus my truck) by March-April... and now this
    Have you ever tried freecycle? If you put a request up, someone may have an extra one they want you to haul off. Or even craigslist might have one for mot much money that will tide you over.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Have you ever tried freecycle? If you put a request up, someone may have an extra one they want you to haul off. Or even craigslist might have one for mot much money that will tide you over.
    DH is pretty insistent on not wanting to get a used one. We've been buying used appliances for years and always end up purchasing another one after about a year or so and he says he's sick of it In a way he's right though, we've dumped more money in used appliances than we would've if we had bought new with a warranty

I've been checking craigslist despite DH's feelings on the matter anyways, but I'm so far out in the boonies I'm having a hard time finding something local. I'll check out freecycle though, never heard of that-thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Lol. Ironing is the national pastime of England. Didn't you know? Haha. I'm not as bad as my MIL who irons everything including bedding, socks and undies. We have a condenser dryer. It has a compartment that collects the water from the clothes and is emptied after every load, so it doesn't have to be plumbed in like a normal dryer. I actually don't mind ironing since it's one of those chores that I can stand in front of the tv and watch it while I work.
    Plumbed like a normal dryer? That confused me Ours isn't plumbed and we don't ever have to dump water out of anything either.

Oh, and I use Freecycle all the time. It's a wonderful place to get rid of stuff you no longer need and don't want the hassle of selling, and it's amazing what people will give away. One time I found a car offered for free that needed a lot of work. My dh & brother went to get it and took it in to the auto recycling place and got three or four hundred dollars for it! The people offering it had no way to tow it in and just wanted it gone. That was probably my best score, but I've gotten a decent weight bench there and given away 2 55-gallon aquariums.

Plumbed like a normal dryer? That confused me Ours isn't plumbed and we don't ever have to dump water out of anything either.
    I thought she meant plugged

I thought she meant plugged
    Ok, but now more questions. If it doesn't have to be plugged in, how does it work?

Ok, but now more questions. If it doesn't have to be plugged in, how does it work?
    Oy you are relentless

Oy you are relentless
    Inquiring minds want to know!!

I did google it. Instead of venting the dryer air outside, it keeps it contained within the dryer so the water builds up and needs to be dumped. Got it!! I've never heard of such a thing before!

Lol. I knew plumbed wasn't the correct word but I used it for quickness. Lol. We can put the dryer anywhere in the house since it doesn't need to be vented and most English houses don't have utility rooms.

I had my Mirena out and a new one inserted today, my first time ever doing that procedure since the first one was inserted at my 6 week pp appointment after Conner was born. If you remember, I was nervous about it but I have to say it wasn't bad at all. The worst was when they measured my uterus. I didn't even feel the Mirena being inserted.