Page 791 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 2916917417817897907917927938018418911291 ... LastLast
Results 23,701 to 23,730 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I want to watch the butterfly eating/pooping dinosaur

DH didn't believe me that Nolan would be using a computer before he entered school and now I have proof

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Conner was on KneeBouncers (when it was all free) when he was 4 months old. I have video of that!

I thought finding the pooping dinosaur video would be easy, but apparently there are lots of them!! If I get a chance, I'll try to go through his history over the weekend and find it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

More on shoes...I have literally one pair of dress shoes, black heels (not too high cuz I'm a major klutz)...and for heels they are pretty comfortable. I basically wear to weddings and to my last job interview. So I like this brand too http://www.beautifeelshop.com/category_s/3.htm

Go me....I just exercised AGAIN. Two nights in a row! Using the elliptical I bought. Doing around 13-16 minutes on it and some stretches after. Kind of weird to me that it seems to bother my knee and my foot (different sides of course) much less than just walking. And burns way more calories in the same amount of time.

Oh and I'm officially complaining about the heat. I'm tired of 80's and high 70's in OCTOBER. I would like my 40's at night and low to mid 60's back like it should be this time of year.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm kind of eyeing this right now http://www.tvstandbutler.com/store/p...-Console-.html

I love love love arts and crafts/mission style and already have some in the living room. Not sure if DH would want the 60 inch console middle piece or the 48 inch. I really want a new TV....we have a 27 inch one that is over 8.5 yrs old and while fine when the living room was 11-12 feet wide, it's kind of small in the 16 ft wide living room. Plus it cuts stuff off being square and old and not the newer wider kind.

That one is like half the price of others I was finding....was starting to think I would have custom design one because of the style and that I wanted hidden storage and glass display areas.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Conner wanted to know when Daddy & I were going to leave the kitchen and go in the living room. 'His' computer is in what should be the dining room, and there's only a counter between those two rooms. I instantly knew something was up, and sure enough he wanted to watch a YouTube video of some cartoon dinosaur eating butterflies and pooping all over. The voice on the video was saying things like, "If dinosaurs sh!t that much, I won't have one for a pet."

We try not to swear in front of Conner, but we're not prudes about it either. If there's minor swearing in a movie, I don't even give it a second thought. But he just knew this wouldn't be something we'd approve of and was trying to get us out of the room so he could watch it.

Now I'm curious to know how he found it. He'd obviously seen it before. I'm 1/2 upset and 1/2 amused.
    That is too funny!! Even though Conner is being naughty with his sh !tting dinosaur! I want to see it too!! He is a smarty too to try to get you to leave the room. All around giggle worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Erin - to resurrect an old topic - I ran the numbers and calculated that I clean my house - at most - about 1.667% the amount of time that you clean yours. You're amazing! And also, the robotics program at Ky's school sounds pretty amazing too. It would be unfortunate if you do have to move away to another city and need to pull Ky out of his program. Ky sounds like he's really adaptable, though, and will make the best out of whatever environment he's in.
    You know what, your house is probably cleaner than mine even though you clean less. No one in my house cleans up after themselves so it is usually messy, which is why I do so much cleaning. I'm starting just not to care anymore but my bathroom, kitchen, living room, and office is always clean and mine and Elle's clothes are always washed and put up immediately. And honestly even though I do a lot of chores, they are spread out so that I never spend more than an hour a day doing chores. I only do laundry on Thursdays and wash dishes and laundry to me really isn't a big chores since I only do two loads now with me and Elle's clothes. It it my "TV watching day," Thursday that is, and I must watch Grey's Anatomy so I scheduled my chores to include time for me to wash my clothes. I fold them while watching Grey's.

I was joking with DH that soon I'm going to have to schedule him in some of the good stuff because he is making me tired keeping me up late and so he may have to be scheduled at 9pm so that I can still watch Grey's Anatomy on Thursday and he may be scheduled at 8:30 pm on Wednesdays so that I can watch Modern Family . He didn't like that idea.

And Jen I LOVE 70s and 80s. You would so hate it here in Atlanta with our humidity and high temps for 4 months out of the year (usually 90+ from June through September, this year it was May through September). It is in the low 80s now and everyone I know is talking about how relieved they are to be out of the summer temps of 90+. We had about two months worth of temps 95+ in a row this summer, which is unusual.

I hope the low 80s last a while. DH and Ky are going to go on a camping trip next week and I still may go ahead and visit Tallulah Falls here in GA when the weather gets a little cooler, probably next month, in the 60s.

Erin

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Chrissy, I will try to remind myself when I get home to post a link to a computer matching/memory game that the twins have been doing independently. It's really cool.

It's been raining for the past few days, really hard. I spent all morning looking for rain boots for baby S. one day and then was rewarded by his utter delight in splashing through puddles. This is his first real conscious experience with rain. He was jumping up and down, and then he asked me to jump with him, so I did. Then he leaned down and splashed with his hands. Passersby were smiling at how cute and happy he was. Then he got down on his hands and knees and tried to drink from the puddle. Um, NOPE! I dragged him away as he started to scream and kick in frustration at being thwarted.

My actual first-world problem. I packed away all of my summer clothes in anticipation of winter, and this weekend it is supposed to be warm, and next week it is supposed to be in the 90s! It has only been in the 90s ONCE all summer, and NOW it gets this hot?!? Crazy.

We are meeting our twin club at a pumpkin patch on Saturday after swimming lessons. There is going to be a hay ride, a picnic, pony rides, feeding animals, and coincidentally apparently another twins club and a triplet club are going to be there at the same time, so the place is going to be overrun with multiples.

Jennifer, congrats on the exercise. And the ticker! And can I ask a stupid question -- how did you decide on the date to put in it? Because I know you've been waiting a lot longer than that, so was that a specific step? Also, you are totally making me want to get new shoes.

Mylah, I have to clock in now, but I just wanted to say really quickly that I have noticed that baby S. seems to really be stretching himself to his full capabilities to try to catch up to the twins, and I am doing things with him much earlier than the twins also, like coloring and the alphabet and stuff too (he's been singing parts of the ABCs for months) and I think hanging around older kids has been really advantageous to his development. I know it's not a preschool situation, but I think it's really helpful both intellectually and socially. Also, I skipped a grade in gradeschool and I have only been happy with it, never unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I'm kind of eyeing this right now http://www.tvstandbutler.com/store/p...-Console-.html

I love love love arts and crafts/mission style and already have some in the living room. Not sure if DH would want the 60 inch console middle piece or the 48 inch. I really want a new TV....we have a 27 inch one that is over 8.5 yrs old and while fine when the living room was 11-12 feet wide, it's kind of small in the 16 ft wide living room. Plus it cuts stuff off being square and old and not the newer wider kind.

That one is like half the price of others I was finding....was starting to think I would have custom design one because of the style and that I wanted hidden storage and glass display areas.
    I like that a lot! Rich & I looked at one very similar, but the place wanted to charge for each piece (it was 3 units in all) and was waaaayyyy overpriced so we opted not to get it. Absolutely loved it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Chrissy, I will try to remind myself when I get home to post a link to a computer matching/memory game that the twins have been doing independently. It's really cool.
    Thank you!

Awww about S. I bet that was cute as can be! Even the attempt to lick the puddle!

I'm jealous of your fwp. I wish I was contending with 90 degrees.

Love the puddle story Lydia! When dbf's mom was here I know she so badly wanted to tell Kai to stop jumping in every puddle (in his runners) but she held back. Also she was mortified when he sat in the bird bath right before we were about to go on a walk but she kept quiet when I just calmly told Kai to go change his pants. Did I tell you guys that on the drive to the airport she raved to dbf about my mothering? This is a shock to me because in the past, especially when Savana was at that very difficult 2-3 year old phase, she questioned and frowned upon the fact that I didn't "punish" her for her behavior.

Ok, this was so weird. Last night I was talking to one of my really good friends whom I haven't caught up with in a long time. After we shared some stories about how the kids were doing and some parenting trials she asked me, "So are you taking anything?"
    I was like "As in...?" and she said, "Happy pills."
    Um...no. She was totally shocked and started saying how she doesn't know how I do it and every mom she knows is on something. I was left totally speechless. Then I came home and told dbf the story and he said his friend's wife takes anti-d's and so his friend takes them too. He had asked his friend if they were depressed and he said no but it just makes them feel better.

I think I am going to send my friend an email and tell her some vitamins she can take now that I have recovered from my shock of her just assuming I was on something because I'm happy with my life. I also asked her if she felt like the meds were helping her and she said, "Kind of but I wish they'd give me more." That worried me. Are they addictive? I mean it makes me wonder how common it is for people to just turn to medication right away and for dr's to just prescribe them freely.
    Last edited by Bridget; 10-07-2011 at 07:52 AM.

I'm so glad your mil is recognizing the good work you do and giving you credit for it. I'm beyond thrilled that she said as much to dbf. Who knows what she might say that might make something click in him. Sometimes it does take someone from the 'outside' to really get a point across. And sometimes, it takes a little while before the person gets it, but good things can come from her conversation with him. Here's hoping!!

I really have issues with how easy it is for people to get antidepressants and antianxiety medications. Well, maybe not with how easy it is, but how they're just prescribed to anyone that complains that life is feeling rough, and then they're not given other tools to figure out how to live without them.

I've come very close to asking for something myself, especially in recent weeks, but now that the worst is over I'm glad I didn't go for it. I don't think antidepressants are addicting, but people do have a false idea of what those 'magic pills' can do for them. And they're almost never told that their own thought process is their worst enemy and that in order to be happy they have to make internal changes. Like Pink says, make the voices in your head like you instead.

Chrissy, OMG tell me about it. I just really do not want to spend 4-5K on a freaking entertainment center and most I have been seeing in the style I like have been about that. I know DH though and he really needs a lot of time to think about stuff before spending money. took at least a couple of months to go for the bedroom furniture we have.....good news is that taking the time means I end up making sure that I really love something and still love it years later.

L, that is adorable about S trying to lick the puddle! Don't blame you for saying no that one!

I picked that date because that was the day we got the letter that the home study was complete and we were officially on the books. The agency (there are 10 in the state) has a binder of dear birth mom letters...basically a 1 pg letter we wrote with our picture on it (same one I have on FB right now) and on the back is some stats about us like our age, jobs, education, pets, don't smoke, childcare plans. The newest families are put in the back of the book and move our way up towards the front. The birth parents look at these binders and from there pick the families they want to see portfolios of. So I kind of see that as the offiically waiting date since before that I was still getting stuff together and families weren't seeing us.

Myles, I wouldn't worry so much about the age thing since he has a Jan. birthday anyway for when school starts. I was one who has that Sept birthday and missed the cutoff by 12 days so my parents had me tested to go ahead and I passed. My mom talked to my friends mom who was a psychologist and they decided to not push me ahead. Instead I did a private school preK/K kind of program that year. What did it was they decided they wanted me to be older and more mature, not less mature than my classmates.....and my mom wanted me to leave for college at almost 19 instead of just barely 18. I wasn't really bored in school....I always had a book to read if I finished early. And for a while did things like gifted program in grade school or the higher level extra reading class or one year I was in 3rd grade and in the 3/4 grade split class and in junior high and high school, took mostly honors level classes. I'm glad to have been one of the older kids and not the youngest.

Bridget that is crazy about the happy pills. I don't really know too many people who take them (that I know of!).

So I started reading this book yesterday http://www.amazon.com/Move-Little-Lo...7997224&sr=1-2 and it's really interesting and good so far. it's basically about how inactive we are (well not all of us but certainly a lot)....we sit in cars, we sit at work all day, and we get home and sit some more. He calls it sitting disease and claims that the amount of calories we eat isn't really that much different than say 20-30 years ago but health has gotten so much worse and obesity has gone through the roof. And that someone who sits the vast majority of the day but goes to the gym 3 times a week cannot say that they have active and the amount of calories burned isn't that big a dent from all the sitting. He's been talking about how even just not that long ago, you still had to get up and move around even at an office job to file things, go to the copier, chat with others...and now we don't even do that much of that. That hobbies used to be things like bowling and gardening and golf....now it's TV and internet.
    he says our bodies were evolved to be moving...walking, standing, doing things and that people think better when they are moving, kids do better in school, and people are much less depressed and happier.
    I'm so guility of that. I do get up a little at work but sometimes 3-4 hours can go buy and I haven't gotten up. And than I go home, often sit while dinner is cooking unless I'm stirring or chopping something and than I sit some more while watching TV for a few hours or reading at night. I'm going to try to make an effort to get up and walk around at least some once an hour. And try to stand while waiting for dinner instead of sitting at the snack bar while waiting for water to boil or whatever. Just try to fit in more activity and movement in the day. I mean the elliptical is great and I will keep up that but it's not enough to do that if I'm sitting the rest of the day!
    will be interesting to see what the rest of the book says since I'm only like 50 pages in.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Very interesting, Jennifer.
    When you get your child you will be moving so much which you already know from taking care of children in the past. I swear, I always rolled my eyes at celebrities who said they lost the baby weight after the 2nd,3rd, etc child by chasing the kids around. But seriously, some days I feel like the only time I sit is when I'm nursing Sawyer or reading stories.

yeah that is one of the reasons I started up with the elliptical. I don't have any desire to be thin but I want like 30-40 lbs gone. I want to have some flexibility back and just have an easier time getting up off the floor again when I'm there playing with the baby/kid and that would do it for me. In my head it sounds great to be active but sitting around so much is an easy habit to get into. Even though we do things like clean the house regularly....it's basically two adults who pick up after ourselves pretty well so it's not that much work to keep clean. After all the years of being a student and having reading as a favorite hobby....just what I do without even thinking about it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think I run up and down my basement steps about 15 times a day. That's my excersize.

Is this a silly thing to by annoyed about? Almost a year ago Savana dicated a letter to me to send to Mary Pope Osborne, the author of the magic treehouse series telling her how much she loved her books and how she also wants to write books when she grows up. I also included a little at the end about how we are a homeschool family and her books have opened up so many windows of exploration for us.
    Well last week we got a generic letter from random house thanking us for our letter and telling us to be sure to watch out for her 2 new books. I was disappointed that it seemed like the letter was just a promotion of her books instead of a reply to a little girl's letter.

I also have issues with how easy it is to get depression/anxiety pills. It seems now-a-days people feel that they should never be depressed or anxious about anything. I see it as normal and as long as it isn't something that is long term or interfering significantly with your life (like you cannot get up, or are having anxiety attacks every day) then you are just normal. Everyone goes through ups and downs.

I don't know, I just feel like we are always looking for a "magic pill." I know quite a few people who take anti-depressants. My mom admitted to me that she was kind of depressed when she and my dad were divorcing and that she admitted this to her PCP at the time and the guy just wrote her a script for Paxil. No referral to a psychologist/psychiatrist, nothing. Just pills. It was ridiculous to her and to me. She didn't take the pills and instead went to a counselor and is doing much better now.

I agree with the article Jen, that we sit too much. I do think I sit too much and I have probably gained 15lbs in the past 6-8 months because I have been sitting more than usual. This is why I have scheduled some gym time. I'm going to build back up to 60 minutes 5 times per week. Before going back to work I went to the gym for about 2 hours 6 days a week. I lost over 55lbs then and I so do not want to gain it all back because of my sedentary office job. My workout time (even though it exhausted me) is the main thing I miss about not working. That and joking around Elle and going to the park every day with the kids. I was not as sedentary as I am now. I often tell DH that being a SAH parent is much tougher than working. I did WAY more then than I do now and was usually exhausted by the end of the day so I can see how you can lose weight staying home and running after kids all day as long as you aren't eating a ton of caloric food. Most days I would forget to eat.

And Bridget, I would be upset by the letter. I wouldn't even want to show it to my kid. That is so generic.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I think I run up and down my basement steps about 15 times a day. That's my excersize.

Is this a silly thing to by annoyed about? Almost a year ago Savana dicated a letter to me to send to Mary Pope Osborne, the author of the magic treehouse series telling her how much she loved her books and how she also wants to write books when she grows up. I also included a little at the end about how we are a homeschool family and her books have opened up so many windows of exploration for us.
    Well last week we got a generic letter from random house thanking us for our letter and telling us to be sure to watch out for her 2 new books. I was disappointed that it seemed like the letter was just a promotion of her books instead of a reply to a little girl's letter.
    No, I'd be annoyed too. It was blatantly promotional only. I don't know about all the authors here at Cornell, but I know one that did a Skype session with a classroom full of middle school students in CA that read her book as a class project and Bob Morgan responds to emails personally all the time. I doubt he can reply to all of them though, 'cause when I helped him with an email issue he easily had 300 come in once I got it working, and that was just from 1 day. Oh, to be famous!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    I also have issues with how easy it is to get depression/anxiety pills. It seems now-a-days people feel that they should never be depressed or anxious about anything. I see it as normal and as long as it isn't something that is long term or interfering significantly with your life (like you cannot get up, or are having anxiety attacks every day) then you are just normal. Everyone goes through ups and downs.

I don't know, I just feel like we are always looking for a "magic pill." I know quite a few people who take anti-depressants. My mom admitted to me that she was kind of depressed when she and my dad were divorcing and that she admitted this to her PCP at the time and the guy just wrote her a script for Paxil. No referral to a psychologist/psychiatrist, nothing. Just pills. It was ridiculous to her and to me. She didn't take the pills and instead went to a counselor and is doing much better now.

I agree with the article Jen, that we sit too much. I do think I sit too much and I have probably gained 15lbs in the past 6-8 months because I have been sitting more than usual. This is why I have scheduled some gym time. I'm going to build back up to 60 minutes 5 times per week. Before going back to work I went to the gym for about 2 hours 6 days a week. I lost over 55lbs then and I so do not want to gain it all back because of my sedentary office job. My workout time (even though it exhausted me) is the main thing I miss about not working. That and joking around Elle and going to the park every day with the kids. I was not as sedentary as I am now. I often tell DH that being a SAH parent is much tougher than working. I did WAY more then than I do now and was usually exhausted by the end of the day so I can see how you can lose weight staying home and running after kids all day as long as you aren't eating a ton of caloric food. Most days I would forget to eat.

And Bridget, I would be upset by the letter. I wouldn't even want to show it to my kid. That is so generic.

Erin
    I totally agree with you Erin. I think GP's should refer people to experts if they're thinking their patient needs antidepressants or anything like it.

I know I'm more sedentary than I ought to be, but my job does keep me moving about the building quite a bit. That said, the plans are that some day we'll remote in everywhere and almost never leave our desks.

Yeah the doc that wrote the book has a setup where he stands at his desk or has a treadmill there. A bit much for me.
    Most of the work done by our IT is remoting in.

Ok so far today I have been up from my desk, I think 3 times already and am about to do a bunch of circulation work that will get me up moving more. I do have to admit that after walking a tiny bit (like to the bathroom which isn't very far), I come back to the desk feeling more awake.

I'm not against anti-d drugs. but have never taken them myself even though I do at times have panic attacks (mostly it was in college and rare now). I do think that my DH should have been on them in 2006 but he refused. And I know his mom has been on them before...once dealing with anxiety that was so strong that she had a small stroke in her 40's (her husband was the cause of all the anxiety...and the cause of a lot of a lot of DH's issues).

Did you contact the author via a personal website or was it via the publisher? I have a kind of hate relationship with most publishers and it wouldn't surprise me if she never even saw the letter.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm not against antidepressants at all (and the like). I just think people could be better informed about what they can and can't do for us. And people should at least be strongly encouraged, if not required, to attend some cognitive therapy to resolve those issues or get supportive therapy while they go through a crisis. For most people, the pills alone won't work.

Yeah that is DH's stance on it too. he was more willing to go see a dr to talk about stuff than to take a pill. Course I can barely get the man to take a tylenol for a huge headache.
    I did talk to someone at school about the panic attacks and she taught me some deep breathing techniques that worked well enough that I didn't have to take pills for it.

Sadly I think that part of the problem is that it is cheaper for most to take a pill than to see a psychologist and talk about things.....never checked to see what my insurance covers for behavioral health appts. Plus it's hard if they don't have good office hours to take an hour or two off work every week to go talk....that was one reason I didn't do accupuncture more than 4-5 weeks....was just too hard to get off work for it and drive accross town every single week.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Mandy, I hope you had a good lazy morning, and a productive visit with the PT. And it's Friday. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Did you contact the author via a personal website or was it via the publisher? I have a kind of hate relationship with most publishers and it wouldn't surprise me if she never even saw the letter.
    I had the same thoughts, Jen/Bridget. I would be annoyed too, but probably with her "handlers" and not the author herself. If you met her on the street, or somehow found an "in" to her personal mailbox, I'll bet she would have given you a heartfelt response, especially after that much time has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    My actual first-world problem. I packed away all of my summer clothes in anticipation of winter, and this weekend it is supposed to be warm, and next week it is supposed to be in the 90s! It has only been in the 90s ONCE all summer, and NOW it gets this hot?!? Crazy.

We are meeting our twin club at a pumpkin patch on Saturday after swimming lessons. There is going to be a hay ride, a picnic, pony rides, feeding animals, and coincidentally apparently another twins club and a triplet club are going to be there at the same time, so the place is going to be overrun with multiples.

Mylah, I have to clock in now, but I just wanted to say really quickly that I have noticed that baby S. seems to really be stretching himself to his full capabilities to try to catch up to the twins, and I am doing things with him much earlier than the twins also, like coloring and the alphabet and stuff too (he's been singing parts of the ABCs for months) and I think hanging around older kids has been really advantageous to his development. I know it's not a preschool situation, but I think it's really helpful both intellectually and socially. Also, I skipped a grade in gradeschool and I have only been happy with it, never unhappy.
    See, with regards to skipping a grade, the only example I have is with my sister. She skipped first grade, and was always held up as the example of someone who never socially caught up to her peers ever since the skip. The teachers were contemplating having me skip a grade too, but my mom put her foot down about it after seeing how hard it made things for my sister. It's interesting to think about how the decisions affected us later in life. But no matter how influential the grade-skip might have been for my sister, it was probably just a minor drop in the bucket compared to the mental illness that was brewing in her head, maybe even as far back as then.

L, this weather has been so crazy and affecting to me! First it's gorgeous and hot, and then it's stormy and cold. Not only has it put me on a bit of a mood rollercoaster, but it's also severely impeded the progress of the painter that's doing the exterior of our house. I finally settled on a dark charcoal brown with dark mustard accents color scheme that I'm slightly worried I'll regret in a couple of years. I'm fairly excited about it today, though.

The pumpkin patch with the twins group sounds fun on Saturday. I think we're going to the Discovery Museum across the GG Bridge that morning with Bodhi's bud, Santi. And then it's my parents' anniversary weekend, and my dad wants to see The Blue Angels (aerobatic planes) and later to a seafood place in Half Moon Bay. It's the same place we went to on my b'day last month, but my mom fell in love with their "organic sea salt and olive oil soft serve" ice cream and has been dreaming about it since then. No one except her really wants to go back to the same place as before, but we are obliging.

I can't believe it's been a whole year since that HUGE argument with my sister at the house we rented from her. Everything was so hard and depressing for the next 4 months, what with unsupportive parents who acted like I was overreacting, job-hunting at the end of the year when no one was hiring, and needing to find work so we could move out. Then there was the spirit-crushing househunt itself. And now we're *so happy* with the way things ultimately came together. If she hadn't lied to everyone, cheated on her DH and gone 10 shades of crazy on us, we might not have moved back to the beach, made the friends we've made, and I couldn't have gathered the sufficient amount of distance from my sister to re-connect with the things that are most important to me.

Overall, I've been looking at my life story in a whole new light, now that I see how much it was colored by having a sister with a manic-depressive streak. Between her big-sister example, and having parents who were essentially "checked out" from my emotional development, I realize I was disproportionately drawn to things that were self-destructive and nihilistic. I grew up pitying myself. I think it made me a late bloomer with things like positive thinking, self-esteem, gratitude, self-reliance. I'm not really complaining about it, because it is what it was, and I like who I turned out to be. But the huge impact she must have had on me is pretty undeniable.

Sorry about the novel again.
    Last edited by demigraf; 10-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Swear Alert, so I can't actually post the image in here, but I have *SO* wanted to leave something like this under the windshield wipers of at least 1000 people at times:

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._8106040_n.jpg

Overall, I've been looking at my life story in a whole new light, now that I see how much it was colored by having a sister with a manic-depressive streak. Between her big-sister example, and having parents who were essentially "checked out" from my emotional development, I realize I was disproportionately drawn to things that were self-destructive and nihilistic. I grew up pitying myself. I think it made me a late bloomer with things like positive thinking, self-esteem, gratitude, self-reliance. I'm not really complaining about it, because it is what it was, and I like who I turned out to be. But the huge impact she must have had on me is pretty undeniable.
    This is me, too, except for having the sister who's a manic-depressive. I was never neglected by my parents but they just left all 3 of us to fend for ourselves out in the world.

Swear Alert, so I can't actually post the image in here, but I have *SO* wanted to leave something like this under the windshield wipers of at least 1000 people at times:

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._8106040_n.jpg

I want those - we should order some from vistaprint and split them up between all of us!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I want those - we should order some from vistaprint and split them up between all of us!
    I'd never be able to use one.

Watch, now that I've said that...I'll see @$$holes parked all over!

I had someone put a note on my car that said, "nice parking asshole".
    I teared up.

In my defense, I parked in the space provided between two cars who were gone when I came back and turns out I was on a line.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    This is me, too, except for having the sister who's a manic-depressive. I was never neglected by my parents but they just left all 3 of us to fend for ourselves out in the world.
    I think that is an interesting way to look at it, Mylah. I was neglected and left to fend for myself after age 9 once I was moved into my dad and stepmother's house. I have always been a late bloomer, even to this day. I do think that part of that is due to the fact that even getting through a regular day took such monumental effort that I had very little energy left over for looking at the future and self-destructive behavior takes a lot less energy than the alternative. I'm glad you are able to be more gentle with yourself.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Myles, did I ever tell you that my sister skipped a grade and I was supposed as well, but didn't, for fear of being around kids older/more emotionally mature than me? Are we like the same person?

Bridget, I'd be irritated too, but I'm thinking your letter never made to the author and was just funneled to the publisher's interns. Even as a form letter, that's pretty generic. I wouldn't show it to her either.

Lydia, Is that really your first fwp? That makes me feel strangely shallow, since my days are filled with FWP. Like this morning, when I really wanted a vanilla latte, but couldn't get one because then I could take an afternoon nap with my toddler, and I really wanted to do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I know I'm more sedentary than I ought to be, but my job does keep me moving about the building quite a bit. That said, the plans are that some day we'll remote in everywhere and almost never leave our desks.
    If that happens, would you have an opportunity to work from home sometimes? would you want that?
    Last edited by AbbeysMom; 10-07-2011 at 02:02 PM.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

And I am the world's worst when it comes to parking my car. And driving. Seriously, if I had to take the test again I'd fail.

lost our bean to Triploidy Sep 2010

I always wished I had been allowed to skip a grade. My mom refused to have me put up because she didn't want me to be ahead of my brother. When I was three I was tested and they wanted to put me in kindergarten then but my brother would have remained in Head Start at the time. I really think I would have enjoyed it. One of my good friends was put into kindergarten at 3 years old as well and she was always challenged at school and we all loved her, us nerdy kids LOL. She was our nerdy little sister. I sometimes wish I could have been the nerdy little sister too.

Elle is extremely smart bookwise and is very social. Since she is a Sept birthday and the cut off for kindergarten entrance is Aug 31st, I'm considering having her tested into kindergarten right before she turns 5. I am seriously considering it since she is like a sponge and gets along with kids of all ages. I am probably going to send her to a Montessori daycare next year if I like the one near my house that is reasonably priced. I wanted to just keep teaching her myself but she keeps saying she wants to go to a "new school." All her older little friends, except one boy have graduated to Pre-K and she misses them. I think she believes if she goes to Pre-K she will get to see her little friends again.

It is great that your year has turned around so dramatically Myles!! And it is great that you can look back and self reflect the way you do and learn from it. Not many people seem to do that IRL, but maybe they do in their own minds. I do it a lot but maybe other people don't notice, mostly DH as he always thinks I have characteristics or thoughts that no one else has ever thought about me (or at least said to me). He feels I am plotting against him in my thoughts which makes me LOL most times. I think he is coming out of that mindset though since I always laugh when he mentions how I wanted to do something to either 1-embarrass him or 2-undermine him. I told him he thinks I'm way more complicated than I am and I laugh and act like Mr. Burns from the Simpson's and tell him all my evil schemes.

And that card is hilarious!! I so am tempted to print it and put it in the parking garage on certain parking offenders!!

Oh, I just got back from the DMV so didn't do much sitting around today. I have been either walking or standing for the past 1.5 hours. I'll probably have to do the same Monday, but this is unusual. I sit at my desk most of the day. Recently though I've been trying to take a mile walk on my lunch break.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 10-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbeysMom View Post
    And I am the world's worst when it comes to parking my car. And driving. Seriously, if I had to take the test again I'd fail.
    You aren't the only one! There is a reason I drive a small car...and never parallel park! I lucked out and didn't have to for the test....they did that randomly. I have a tennis ball hanging in my garage so I know where to aim and stop....and my garage has at least 4 extra feet on both sides and more than 6 feet extra in the front. And we park a Pt. Cruiser and my Caliber in there.

I also hardly ever drive freeway because I don't like going 65 and I don't like merging and rarely change lanes unless it's not busy and someone is going like 35 in a 45.

and on top of it, I have no sense of direction and get lost easily.

I'm glad DH doesn't mind driving.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm not a great driver/parker either, but I have those rear-end beeper thingies on my car and they sure do help!